Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources Employee Reviews

Dnr
Facilities and Land Worker (Former Employee) –  Woodruff, WIDecember 10, 2017
I was a facility and lands worker for the WDNR. I would clean up boat landings, build docks, and take them to locations. It was a wonderful place to work and my co-workers were great!
A bit dull work environment
Wastewater Engineer (Former Employee) –  Madison, WINovember 6, 2017
It was a bit of a dull work environment for a millennial. While I think corporate paintballing parties and bean bags in the office are a bit hokey, the DNR seems not to be doing anything to attract a young work force. Seems like people sign up here for the benefits, and you do get to tour around the state a lot and meet with other departments. I just found the 9 story brutalist building sucking the life out of me. The management was cool, and if you have any type of social skills you'll get along with everyone.
Pros
people are inviting
I enjoyed my work at the DNR
Program Assistant, Volunteer Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Milwaukee, WIOctober 28, 2017
I enjoyed my job at the DNR. The benefits I received were very good. I had consistent work hours, and I enjoyed the position and my supervisor. I left this position for a promotion with another agency.
Pros
Job security, good benefits.
Cons
Hard to advance in a state position.
Decent Workplace
Natural Resources Customer Services Representative (Current Employee) –  Antigo, WI 54409September 5, 2017
Working at the WDNR is a decent job. The people are great to work with but the job can be stressful at times. I feel there is very little option for career advancement. Wage raises is pretty much non-existent.
Very rewarding career - a lot of work options
Conservation Warden (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 1, 2017
The WDNR is a state government agency with a wide variety of career choices. Anyone interested in a conservation warden job can check-out the WDNR website- key word warden.
Not bad
Scientist (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIDecember 10, 2016
Passionate employees, good work environment, good city to work in, lots of opportunities to see the positives of your work. Really energetic management.
Great camaraderie and support from fellow coworkers, relaxed atmosphere
Financial Specialist Senior, Office Associate (Former Employee) –  Madison, WISeptember 8, 2016
Fast paced work environment, supportive coworkers, work with people who truly want to preserve our natural resources.
Pros
Great employees
Cons
Office politics
Processed peoples registraiton information on boats, ATV/UTV's, and snowmobiles through Go Wild.
Registration Processor/Office Associate (Current Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 25, 2016
A typical day is I come in to work and I get started on processing registrations, meta tagging through Share Point, or organizing and sorting applications.
I work with people close to my age and we pretty much work quietly. The hours are very flexible as long as you let your supervisor know when you can and can't work.
An absolutely amazing place to work
Conservation Biologist and Wildlife Technician Adv (Current Employee) –  La Crosse, WIFebruary 19, 2016
An amazing place to work, with some of the most dedicated knowledgeable staff out there.

Many opportunities to learn new trades and skills while working in a friendly work environment.
Pros
wonderful place to learn and grow professionally.
Cons
Not much room for upward movement.
State Work
Fish Technician Advanced, Incubation Specialist (Current Employee) –  Adell, WINovember 27, 2015
State Work, State pay, state Benefits. Very competitive! Hard to advance! No salary increases in the last 5 years! Lots of Rules and hoops to jump through!

Want to know more about Wisconsin Department of Natural Resources?

Ask a question
Hard manual Work
LTE Laborer (Former Employee) –  Trempealeau, WIOctober 20, 2015
Worth doing the manual labor for a short time, but it is a very repetitive job. Great learning experience, but hard to get motivated to go back seeing as how in Wisconsin funding for Natural Resources and primarily state parks is being cut. Hard to move up in the working colony of the specific park. Having the right supervisors is key, most of the people in the Park Ranger lifestyle are pretty laid back anyway.
Pros
new skills, outdoors, great people
Cons
A lot of "back breaking" work for little pay
Great co-workers
Assistant Educator (Current Employee) –  Horicon, WIJuly 7, 2015
Great place to work but I just wish they would provide benefits to LTEs. Everyone is passionate about what they do and it is unfortunate that they are under-appreciated at times.
Productive place to work
Stormwater Specialist (Current Employee) –  Baldwin, WIMay 21, 2015
A typical work day consists of application review, site inspections and compliance. The hardest part of the job is the preconceived misconception the public has of the DNR. The most enjoyable is protecting the beautiful natural resources of this state.
Pros
working outdoors
Cons
lack of job security
If you love the outdoors, this is for you
Parks and Recreation, Wildlife Management (Former Employee) –  Hartford, WIAugust 10, 2013
The best match for someone with an environmental degree. Take the civil service exams, take the right courses in college and work there as an LTE until you get on full time with the state.
Experieances of the day to day law enforcement officer
Forest Ranger (Current Employee) –  Woodruff, WIAugust 5, 2013
Every day when I started my day I would always be ready for the unexpected. That came to light on July 1,2009 when I was staring my shift when I was notified of a wanted person. This person was wanted for the murder of his wife. With in hours myself and other law enforcement officers had the person in custody. I can say my career of 31 years of law enforcement has been so rewarding that its time to continuing to help others in a different way. I have had so many experiences and have met so many people and traveled many miles in the north and the state of Wisconsin I would like to continue to help others,
Pros
Doing things that people wait their entire life I do everyday!
It is a best workplace
IS System Development Services (Former Employee) –  Madison, WIJuly 31, 2013
It was a fun workplace. The co-workers were so helpful for any question you had.
Everyone loves their job
Wastewater Specialist (Current Employee) –  Green Bay, WIJuly 5, 2013
People here are passionate about the work they do. Its flexible and not hard but you get paid less than you would in private industry
Pros
hours, flexibility
Cons
compensation
Office and Field work
Water management technician (Former Employee) –  Saint CroixAugust 11, 2012
Good place to work in Natural Resources. Really loved the people and the office was always positive