Wiser Company

Wiser Company Employer Reviews

Great people, great atmosphere, bad job security
Team Lead (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOMay 22, 2013
Pros: good atmosphere and people, free lunch on crisis projects
Cons: job security, crisis projects
Overall, I really enjoyed my time at Wiser until after being laid off. Being in the subcontractor business with only one prime contractor, can make or break a company. I really enjoyed all of the people that I worked with, they were all fun, knowledgeable, and easy to work with.
I learned a lot about business, office culture, cartography, and ArcGIS. – more... Having such a diverse workforce allowed me to learn from a variety of people in a variety of ways. This really opened up my eyes to all of the different learning styles that people thrive off of. This really helped me when I had to train an individual. In the last three years, I also got to develop my problem solving and technical skills. Being in a leadership role, I was the one who would actively develop solutions to the given issues. I was able to advance in the company due to my work ethic, personal drive and personality. It was possible for people to advance, but they had to go out and get it. The low rating in that category is for job security. Wiser promoted a good environment and avenues to transfer knowledge within the company.
To sum up a typical day at work with one word, busy. I prefer to be busy rather than slow, so I enjoyed this. Managing projects and employees, training, status, keeping tabs on new guidance and processes, creating new documents and trackers, answering questions, extracting, and making data deliveries. These are just some of the task that kept me busy.
The hardest part of the job was not knowing when your next project would come in. The other thing that got old was meeting accelerated deadlines. There was weeks of 100 plus hours and it made it extremely hard to have a home life. On the flip side, the most enjoyable part of the job was knowing who the end user was and why they needed our products. – less
Not a good place to work for the long-term....
Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee), MurfreesboroJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: great production staff, decent benefits
Cons: very weak management & practices, extremely high turnover, low morale, out of touch management, financial instability, very long production hours
To say the least, I would STAY AWAY from Wiser Company. If you want to work long hours for out of touch managers and receive little recognition, then this place is for you. If not, please read these reviews. Better options exist in this area.
Company on the way out
Geospatial Technician (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNOctober 5, 2012
Pros: production staff is amanzingly dedicated
Cons: i don't even know where to start
Wiser Company has gone through hard financial times with upper management ill prepared to deal with the changes. Day to day operations at the company is paid for in the morale of the workers which is extremely low. Wiser cannot afford to pay the staff it takes to do the work required to pay the bills so workers are forced to work LONG hours. Upper management – more... (VP, Deputy Director, Intelligence and Security) has no problem with the low morale of the production staff or middle management, and as a result of this most of the future of the company has left for better prospects. This is a sinking ship that you should not join. – less

February 12, 2013

Wiser has definitely lost all of its good employees as they have gone elsewhere in the great exodus of 2010-2011. Management is a joke. The workload entirely depends on the overflow from a prime. Once it stops the layoffs start. Benefits are average. The only good thing I can say is I liked my co-workers and the production staff does do a quality job. Company is on it's way out doing geospatial work and the defense cuts will be the final nail in the coffin.

Weak company structure
Geospatial QA/QC Analyst II (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNJuly 21, 2012
A constant rotation of talent due to lack of stability. They are not a prime contractor so their livelihood depended on overflow work from a major company.
Entry Level Company
Senior Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee), Birmingham, ALJanuary 5, 2012
Pros: security clearance, flexible hours
Cons: salary, management, type of work
I would only recommend this company to individuals seeking entry level work and looking to gain one two years of experience after college. My advice anyone with prior work experience or advanced degrees in the geospatial field would be to seek employment with this company as a last resort.
The bottom line is that working for Wiser is the equivalent – more... to working for a technical staffing agency and should be treated as a temporary job. If you like digitizing and doing other low level, temporary work, then Wiser is the place for you. – less
Great entry level for 1-2 years of experience, that is definitely all.
Geospatial Analyst II (Former Employee), St. Louis, MOOctober 24, 2011
Pros: good benefits if you're single, flexibility of hours
Cons: terrible management, fired people after they tried to resign., very low pay
I was hired out of college, a lot of cool people worked there... but only the low level employees.

Most of the upper management is incompetent and tries to blame the issues with the company on the lower management who then turn around and blame the production staff.

Since the beginning of 2011 more than 30% of the employees have been laid off or fired – more... with no warning.

Absolutely no job security. – less
Boring work and a great job for people who love getting laid off.
Journeyman Geospatial Analyst (Former Employee), Murfreesboro, TNOctober 20, 2011
Pros: it's a paycheck, good life lessons learned
Cons: they are not "family-oriented" as they claim, they will lay you off, not much money
You will be used by management and then left out to dry when the contract dries up. They demand uncompensated responsibility to complete the tasks and then, when the contract approaches the final months, there are always massive layoffs. If you are a new hire, you have no future there. They are renowned for hiring people straight out of college for – more... very cheap, and maybe 1.5 to 2 years later, laying you off to hire the next batch of youngsters. You have to have a talent for becoming good buddies with the right people to stay on. Management is simple-minded. The work is repetitive, simple, and boring. Trying to stay awake the whole day is the most challenging part of the job. – less