Wishard Health Services

Wishard Health Services Employee Reviews

Excellent environment for skill development in a variety of patient populations with emphasis on continuing education.
LPN Staff Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 19, 2014
I began as a LTC nurse in one of the facilities connected to the hospital. Advancement was encouraged and I was able to transition to medical/surgical floor, then telemetry unit, then ICU step down unit and float thru the critical care department. From basic medication delivery to advanced cardiac life support, in house education was available and encouraged. Co-workers generally worked together and were positive influences in assisting each other to develop new skills. Consideration was given to provide inservices at beginning or end of night shifts. Breaks were allowed and encouraged. Lack of food service availability for night shift was frustrating. The compassion of co-workers during family emergencies was demonstrated several times. I was honored to be able to assist others thru a difficult time by sharing PTO, picking up shifts and direct care of loved ones. My child and family was on the receiving end of that same care and it really shows you how the work place becomes an extended family in times of need. If it had not been for a car accident I would still work there today. The hospital has transitioned under new ownership/management and no longer allows LPNs in the care delivery areas.
Pros
encouragement, availability and financial reward for continued education and certifications was awesome.
Cons
the removal of experienced lpns from the care areas in favor of new graduate rns with no experience.
Productive, energetic, fast paced but interesting and full of personal satisfaction
Patient Safety Advocate/Interpreter/Translator (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 12, 2012
Most enjoyable part of the job is the satisfaction of having been able to help the less fortunate and the gratifying sensation at perceiving the gratefulness and smile in their faces at obtaining the much needed help.
Hardest part - Trying to be at all places at once and the feeling of impotency at not being able to help all.
Management and co-workers are great - a team and one big family working together for the benefit of all
I mostly learned that things are not always what they seem and that there is still much to be done for the underprivileged
A typical day at work is sometimes stressful but always enjoyable and full of satisfaction at the realization of having been able to help
Pros
very fast paced but a lot of fun - ability to meet all different kinds of people and cultures
Cons
not enough time for lunch / no breaks
I enjoy helping people
Medicaid Intake (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 17, 2012
I enjoy my employment at wishard hospital it was a very busy place and I enjoyed that, I help people get on medicaid and the wishard advantage it required a lot of data entry and making sure that each patients had the application fill out correctly, I also was over the volunteer services that girls would come in our department which was apart of admission and they would make package for the clinics through out indianapolis, it was a services that help girls/teen to get there lives together from having a baby or drop out of high school it was working to build up the office skills as well they had to do so many hours a week which was fun..
Pros
the hours learning new things everyday.
Cons
pay wasnt that great, half hour lunch
Perioperative Assistant (Former Employee) –  SurgeryOctober 28, 2013
I've worked at Wishard for 20yrs and got good raises, loved my co-workers to death, but after changing managament it went down hill I worked in surgery department started in housekeeping workedy way up, I agree they do have skills to help you advance, I've never had a problem with anyone I worked with new employees come into surgery I trained them.HR is very nasty when they talk to you like your nothing and I feel they should talk to people the way they want to be talk to.
Pros
had breakfast, lunch brought in by sales rep
Cons
cool place to work learn just need good managent.
A caring environment with clinicians and doctors that really care.
Client Service Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Midtown CIUSeptember 20, 2011
I liked the position within this company, but other reasons would deter me away from this workplace. Overall the experience itself was well worth it and easy to maintain. Very few things were required for this position and allowed much flexibility for scheduling. Open to the public, as all hospitals are, can become a downfall but the company at times would try to help with off days requested. This particular job required you to have your shift covered if you're trying to take off for a day(s).
Pros
relaxing environment
Cons
open everyday even on holidays
Good place for job growth
Human Resources Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Human Resources-RecruitmentDecember 12, 2014
Working here has given me many opportunities. The thing that I love most about working here is I was given a chance to work in various job titles and was able to experience different job roles. The knowledge I obtained in each area I worked has been helpful with each new job title I took on. It is a very fast paced environment and has given me the challenges that I needed so I could be where I am at today. In addition, most days I do not have to look at the clock to countdown when it is time to go home because I am so involved with my work and have such a love for.
A hospital that cares
Eligibility Resource Advocate (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INNovember 6, 2012
yes lines may be long at time but its one of the best places to get the best care. here its not about money to pay if your low income or no income you will still be seen and also helped to see if you can get
medicaid, medicare, or wishard advantage medical payment assistance with financial counselors on site to help.
Pros
free lunch for staff, most of management are good and willing to help, pay is not bad
Cons
newer management need to learn there job more and not ride good workers
Multi Tasking is a MUST
Spanish Interpreter/Front Office (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INOctober 10, 2012
This is an extremely fast paced place to work. The people are very nice and competent in what they do. If you like change and are flexible; this is definitely the place for you. The hardest part of the job is not knowing what you'll do from one day to the other. The most enjoyable part of my job is patient care and the opportunity to serve my community. It is a reward to be able to provide quality care even to patients that cannot afford it or have no insurance
Pros
parking is free and lots of it
Cons
short breaks and instabitlity in work schdule
PAS - ERA: worst dept to work at Wishard/Eskenazi
ERA (Former Employee) –  All clinicsMarch 21, 2014
The ERA managers use bullying tactics all the time and the HR doesn't see what is going one there...The job duties is not bad but on this specific department the employees are terrorized all the time. It is like work under persecution and bad vibes all the time. It's a place that you suffer all kind of labor abuse and the supervisors are powerless to help the employees. The directors of this department make the staff moral low and turnover. The level of stress is high.
Pros
other departments are better to work and have fair managers
Cons
abuse of power and hight level of stress
Enjoyable hands on learning experience
Patient Service Assistant/Caretech II (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INFebruary 20, 2013
A typical work day consisted of registering patients for clinic visits and ensuring the patients chart had necessary paperwork. I went to nursing school during employment with Wishard Hospital which was helpful because Wishard is a teaching Hospital. Manangement was professional and caring. I got along great with coworkers and enjoyed my work day with them. The hardest part of the job was feeling safe. The clinic was located in the Juvenile Detention Center. My most enjoyable part of the job was the hands on learning experience.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
healthcare rates
Co-workers were like family
House Keeping (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 16, 2015
Work day included meeting with not only employees and staff but interaction with patients was typical. I learned that not only did patients need assistance but from time to time co-workers and management did as well. The area I worked in gave an opportunity to interact with patients and doctors. The hardest part of the job was seeing patients you may have become friendly with leave although they were a lot better that part was bitter sweet. Loved getting to know interns, doctors etc.
Pros
Interacting with patients and doctors
I really enjoyed working there. Everything ran very smoothly most of the time.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 18, 2013
Outstanding management and co-workers. Wishard employees do follow their mission. Wishard has a lot of continuing education programs. Everyone is well trained and understand their job description. Everyone in each pharmacy pulls their weight and do not mind helping others to get the job done on time, good team players.
Pros
good advancement oppurtunities, nice working environment. i would work there again in a heart beat.
Cons
can't think of any
Great work environment.
Pharmacy Technician (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJanuary 3, 2013
My typical day at work was very busy but enjoyable because I helped many patients. I learned how to handle many different situations and how to react in a fast paced position. The management are great people that I was happy to work around. My co workers were very inviting, but helpful in every way. The hardest part of the job was handling so many different orders and insurances while helping so many patients. The most enjoyable part of the job, I would say the most enjoyable, was working in such a diverse and flexible environment.
Pros
the position was a pro in general.
working at wishard
Care Coordinator Assistant II (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJuly 25, 2013
A typical day at work for me is working on a team to better the care of elders. I am on the administrative side and work a lot with the data of our program as well as on our computer systems. I do enjoy my job but am ready to expand my knowledge and career with more expierence. The most enjoyable part about my job is seeing the patients we impact smile and the most difficult part of my job is when family members of patients will not cooperate with the medical team.
very customer focused
Manager, Guest Services (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INJune 26, 2012
A typical day at work was providing exceptional customer service to our clients. I learned to deal with adversity throughout a diverse patient population with compassion and care. My co-workers were very knowledgeable and proficient in their skill sets as well as friendly and positive. The hardest part of the job was finding a parking place in the morning. The most enjoyable part of the job was creating great outcomes for our patient population and their families.
Pros
tuition reimbursement
Cons
parking
Was a great place to work and i learned alot of skills and we all became one family.
Staff Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 21, 2013
12hrs work day, doing bed side nursing;helping teaching patients/family with discharge care; excellent team work and treated everyone with respect. the most enjoyable part was to see patients quickly recovered and went home; and the hardest was dealing with death of a patients and their families after doing all you could do but failed.
Pros
great team work
Cons
no time for breaks
Advocate, Care, Teach , and Serve patients ver well
Care Tech (Current Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 4, 2013
I enjoy the fact that I get to help a team to get people better. I strive to keep a smile on everyone face at company . I feel informed with the duties I be assigned to do. I learned new skills such as drawing blood. I like the data entry part of my job as well. Answering call lights quick and taking vital signs.
Wishard was a small community in the larger community of Indianapolis
Staff RN (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INAugust 22, 2014
From custodial personnel through cafeteria workers up to Human Resources' Staff the culture and friendliness of Wishard was ever present. Nurses, secretaries, some physicians recognized that the work of Wishard was to better Indianapolis as a whole. I miss the camaraderie of "living the dream", caring for the under-served of Indianapolis was a duty and a privilege.
Pros
great people, bedside staff especialy
Cons
some managers were not helpful
Challenging and good atmosphere to work in
Surgical Technologist (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMay 24, 2012
A typical day included preparing supplies needed for the surgical procedures throughout the day. It also included communicating with surgeons and nursing staff to ensure all extra items were in the room. My co-workers were great to work with and taught me a great deal about the hospital and the surgeons. The most enjoyable part of the day was knowing that I had all supplies needed for a surgical procedure and that the surgeon left the room with a positive attitude.
The people you work with are awesome. The management and senior leadership staff are not.
Outpatient Dietitian (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, INMarch 7, 2012
When I first worked for Wishard, I believed in it's mission to serve the underserved. After several things happened, I believe the senior management no longer is working to fulfill the mission statement. The employees and physicians who work for Wishard still hold that mission statement true.
Pros
free lunch, good employees
Cons
management was completely incompetent.