Wizards of the Coast Employee Reviews

Avoid if you are a woman
Senior Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 14, 2017
Old boys network in IT promotes based on friendship, not qualifications. Total lack of understanding of how to set goals. They don't do data driven decision making. No Project Management organization, no business analysts. All Product Owners and Scrum Masters

Only benefit was 1/2 day Friday.

Salaries are below market (because people just want to work for us so we don't pay at market levels).

Health care plan is high deductible with HSA so essentially, you pay everything unless you have a major illness.
Fun and Engaging Workplace
Customer Service Representative - Contract (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 22, 2017
Supervisors are very open to communication and work in close proximity to the rest of the Customer Service team. Full-timers are also on hand and happy to help with sticky questions as time allows! The workload itself can vary quite a lot, though a typical day will have 30-40 phone calls over your shift in addition to emails. The most challenging and enjoyable part of the job is the actual customer interaction- you get players of all skill levels calling in about everything under the sun for pretty much every game Wizards makes. Magic: the Gathering is definitely the most called-about, though, so I would highly recommend having a good baseline-understanding of the game and its mechanics.
Pros
Free employee drafts and prereleases, paid breaks, supervisors very understanding re: sick days, flexible time off provided enough notice is given
Cons
Inter-department communication needs work, don't receive free product on release due to contractor status
Current management team needs to be replaced!
Team Lead - Senior Systems Engineer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 5, 2017
Wizards was a great place to work until the management team was replaced about 2 years ago. Since then, the great culture and environment of togetherness eroded until you get what you have today. Management leads using fear and bullying tactics that have destroyed the morale of the company.
This was a great company that was built by gamers for gamers. It was a great place to work the first 3 or so years I was there. I wish it had stayed that way.
Pros
Still produce great games.
Cons
Current management team.
Productive and great work culture
Devops/ Release Engineer (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAMay 10, 2017
Good Management
Great Team coordination,much helpful team members in difficult time
Superb work environment
Weekly Playoffs
good work and life balancing
Pros
Free Lunches, snacks, Games
Cons
Na
you will really enjoy work here if you love games and knowing behind it(coding)
Sr. UI/UX Developer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 12, 2017
Though my employment was only for a few sets, it was nevertheless an interesting and exciting experience. Being privy to classified information was simply amazing.
Fun environment with many creative people and a full gym and daycare on site.
Game Designer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 16, 2017
As a game designer a Wizard of the Coast I created new games and helped other people improve their game designs.Games ranged from online one to card gmes, and board games.

A typical day at work was fairlty self-directed, woking on individual prjojects. We'd show our projects and get opinions from other people. We would also play our new games among each other.

When a game got close enough to potentially being produced we would to focus groups to see if we had writen the rules right and created an enjoyable game.

Workplace culture was relaxed and a bit like a bit toy factory. The most enjoyble part of working for Wizards were the creative staff and the flexibiity to work on your project your way.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up a steady stream of creative projects on a deadline. But Wizards taught me to do this.
Pros
Creative Environment, Writing, Work/Life Balance
Cons
Upper management stress, Sometimes unclear directions
Technologically progressive within a work hard, game hard culture.
Systems Engineer, Sr (Former Employee) –  Renton, WADecember 31, 2016
Wizards of the Coast is the place to go when you want to work on/in an ever-changing environment. There are plenty of challenges as well as plenty of good humored people to take time out for a game of Magic. These people are always on the lookout for a new board or card game. It is not unusual to meet at the end of the day for D&D games or low-key Magic release parties.
Pros
The people are fun and intellectual.
Cons
Technical management doesn't know how to help if you run into trouble with your job.
fun place to work ... management changed
Receiving Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Prairie, TXOctober 7, 2016
Work slowed and management changed over the years... was a great place to work.

Loved my coworkers but management lacked in motivational skills.
Good health benefits, high turn-over.
WPN Store Lead (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 13, 2016
People are nice, fun, and highly motivated. Most non-executives are fans of the games, they carry a lot of knowledge and personal experience. They are always happy to teach and share. The company offers good benefits for full-time employees but they also make changes mid-year. The turn-over is high and frequent, creating anxiety and uncertainty. But most people enjoy the fun workplace idea as the company promotes internal events, offers a game area, and full-time employees get other perks.
Pros
Healthcare
Cons
High turn-over
Laid back culture, not for go-getters
Technical Analyst (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 6, 2016
I'm torn, because I like it here, but I can't ignore the stodgy old world practices, and mentalities of crusty white men. They may just be too slow to be effective and disruptive in their development for the technical arena.
Gaming is fun
Sr. UI/UX Developer (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJune 30, 2016
This company will give you the option to start a long career! Cant say enough good things about this company, they temp out a lot, which gives people an option to get their foot in the door.
It's just okay.
Game Support II (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 21, 2016
For a company like Wizards you would expect to be able to answer any and all questions that customers have when they call you, however there are certain questions that can only be answered and if you try your best to answer and help a customer out you get a slap on the wrist for it. Wish there would have been more clear and concise training to let you know.
Great place to work with talented people
Creative Manager (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAFebruary 2, 2016
Creative culture, amazingly talented people.
Focus is on developing high quality games that provide the best user experience.
Improved emphasis on employee appreciation and retention.
Pros
Good benefits, yoga and strength training on site in private gym
Cons
Little room for advancement, uneven management.
Fun
Customer Service during PAX Prime (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJanuary 21, 2016
One of the best places i have worked. They truly care about their employees and take great care in what they do. They make sure the quality the except their customers receive, is reflected in the work environment.
Very productive company with many physical and fun events
Software build engineer contractor (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAAugust 15, 2015
-Mainly building and documenting software build processes
-A very open minded company to their employees and contractors
-Management was most always open to talk with and very supportive
-My co-workers were fantastic and fun to work with
-Attending all of the meetings that were scheduled was very hard to keep up with
-What I enjoyed most was working with so many talented people
Pros
Lots of gaming in the evening
Great place to work always interesting
Research Design development engineer/ IT Admin (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAMarch 4, 2015
Fun imaginative work environment never a dull moment and always new things to learn and goals to achieve. Great people, employees, and vendors
Pros
busy work place
Cons
no cons for me
Great environment to work.
T2 Game Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAJuly 24, 2014
The typical day included answering questions from customers, retailers, and fans through email or phone. I learned a lot about efficiency and developing good work flow and habits. The management was great to work with and great about providing the tools or assistance needed to get the job done right. My coworkers were excellent, sharing similar tastes and work ethics that drove our teams to do some amazing customer service work. The hardest part of the job was only the occasional difficult customer and the most enjoyable part was assisting with game support and rules questions.
Pros
Work with amazing games.
Cons
Contracting position, so no benefits, holidays or vacations.
An enlightening and engaging work environment
Traffic Controller (Current Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 17, 2014
Please ask for further information. This is a great company to work for.
Fun Place to Work
Tier 2 Retail Support Rep. (Former Employee) –  Renton, WAApril 1, 2014
Wizards of the Coast provides a fun atmosphere to work in. Since it is a gaming company, there are always other employees willing to chat about or play games with you during break times. Additionally health and other benefits were extremely desirable.

I typically spent most of my time on the phone with customers. If I was off the phone I was either answering customer emails or working on special projects. The most difficult part of my job had to be balancing time management between tasks.
Really fun teams. There's a dragon in reception
Software Test Engineer (Current Employee) –  Renton, WANovember 11, 2013
The people who work at WotC are very passionate about what we produce, games and entertainment. There is a strong following inside the company of the games we create and there is a pride felt in the employees.
It is easy to get into a role and be stuck there or be "advanced" into a position that does not fit correctly.
Pros
"Free Table" often has free SWAG. Lots of people to game with on breaks.
Cons
Advancement is very difficult. Salaries are not quite competitive.