Wolfram Research, Inc.

Wolfram Research, Inc. Employee Reviews

Great play to work if management changes
Sales Engineer (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILDecember 28, 2016
Incredibly brilliant people at work, but due to the micro-management of the CEO, everyone is under a lot of unnecessary pressure and moving in different direction at the smallest change.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
CEO micro-management
Great place to gain experience quickly, but the stress and low pay won't be worth staying too long
Technical Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILSeptember 29, 2016
See pros and cons. Work/Life balance is highly dependent on where the CEO's eye of Sauron is currently facing. Coworkers are brilliant and friendly people and you will learn alot. And I mean ALOT. But the feeling burning out will catch up eventually due to the low compensation and being overworked.
Pros
Amazing coworkers, great experience that will build a very strong skillset in a short amount of time, relaxed work atmosphere (until the CEO is breathing down your neck), innovative products like Wolfram Alpha, Wolfram Cloud, and the Wolfram Language. Oh also free soda and frappucinos
Cons
Low pay, stressful work conditions if project is on the CEO's radar, micromanagement by the CEO
Interesting projects, lower than average compensation
Senior Technical Staff Member (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILAugust 8, 2015
Company has interesting projects, but offers less than market averages for comparable positions at other companies. The compensation makes it affordable to work for company at company headquarters but not in other locations.
Pros
relaxed atmosphere, competent management
Fun workplace and Intectually challenging work environment
Software Engineering Co-op (Current Employee) –  Champaign, ILJuly 8, 2015
I liked the work and open environment. I was working with new technologies and it has been a great work experience.
I was fortunate to have a good team and the projects we take up are very interesting.
Tech World Virgin...
Business Development Manager - Latin America (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILApril 14, 2015
This was my first experience in the technical world. I have sold numerous things around the world - but selling the idea of a tool for limitless knowledge... that's a new one. Wolfram doesn't have the greatest pay for the hours they expect in reporting and learning their software and its 1,000's of uses. The benefit of this job is experience. The culture is good - once you learn who you need to ally with, but there are a lot of people in this world with diabolical minds. Their goal is outsmarting and out conniving the world... They cannot be taught. It's a problem... I learned working 14 hours a day traveling 22 weeks a year gets you a gross profit of $70K per year. Yes I saw some wonderful people and made some very strategic partners that I still use in my business today, but the ungrateful atmosphere for those in the field providing the income for the rest of the company to operate is pretty remarkable. Not a fan.
North American Shipping Associate (Former Employee) –  Champaign, ILOctober 6, 2014
Worked there for six years and learned a lot. Lots of good people work for that company
Pros
Cons
pay
if the owner was in a good mood it was fun but if the owner was mad you didnt want to be there
glassblower (Former Employee) –  Modesto, CAAugust 25, 2012
All in all it was a good job i would still be there if the owner hadnt been so abusive towards me
Pros
steady work fun work to do
Cons
abusive owner
Laid back work environment
Software Engineer (Current Employee) –  Urbana-Champaign, ILApril 22, 2012
Regular daily status meetings
Worked with various teams
Flexible work Environment
Good working standards, Good Exposure on Jquery,JSTL and Spring MVC

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Wolfram Research, Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Wolfram Research, Inc. Reviews by Location