Women Against Abuse Employee Reviews

Important work but Sexist environment
Security Manager (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 9, 2017
Women Against Abuse (WAA) is an organization with an excellent goal - stopping domestic violence. It is a great place to work IF you are a woman. Men are very poorly treated there and there is no room for improvement, input, or excuses. If you are a man, avoid this job!
Pros
Great benefits and time off
Cons
Sexism, poor management
we are doing a good deed
Chef (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PADecember 31, 2016
I enjoy cooking for the displaced women and children .. It gives me a goo feeling to help others out , no mater how small the task is
Pros
Free food
Cons
Have to deal with the women and they triggers about the abuse they suffered
What I Enjoy Most About My Current Position
Resident Advisor (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PaSeptember 16, 2014
The hardest part of the job is that it is 3rd Shift, however I currently enjoy my position and patient relations experience that I have obtained. I enjoy working with my co-workers and I have no problem with management. Even though I had extensive knowledge about Domestic Abuse Prevention I have gained so much more through my work experience.
Excellent Experience
Certified Crisis Intervention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 15, 2014
While working at Women Against Abuse. Being on the hotline protection order court orders life skills programs drugs and alcohol. The hardest part of the job is advocating for the women to go to another shelter if there abuser has found them. Helping them get back on there feet. Job placement housing going back to school. Getting there children back. Just having a safety environment for them. Like my co workers. Challenging was problem solving helping them as well as myself know that everyone needs them to listen and be understanding. I LOVE working at Women Against Abuse
Volunteer
Student Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAMarch 17, 2014
I would help out in the child care facility during the summer and also with some intake work if needed.
Dedicated crisis counselor
Certified Crisis Intervention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 28, 2013
Dailiy hotline calls intakes counseling.. I have learned that there are alot of men who are just as abused as women. Management can be good.. Enjoy the fact that I have very good co workers that I work very well with and whenever there's a conflict we work it out peacefully and continue working together as a team. The hardest part of the job is getting housing but the most enjoyable part of the job is that they have great support and group programs for the women and children. And knowing that they safe
Pros
Better system
Cons
Short breaks and nice loing lunch
Excellent Experience
Social Work Intern (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJanuary 25, 2013
Gained skills in individual and group psychotherapy with a focus on trauma, mental health, and substance abuse.
Got some good experience, but some office drama
Crisis Intervention Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJune 25, 2012
I felt like I did a lot of good while working there, and we got some great training in various subjects. We were encouraged to get involved on committees and in large projects. But funding issues created rifts among different groups of employees which affected how we dealt with residents at the shelter. Policies were inconsistent and always changing. But for the most part, staff had their hearts in the right place and tried their best.
Pros
good compensation, work felt useful, good trainings
Cons
inconsistency in policies, stressful, funding issues (government's fault!)
warm and corteous environment
Volunteer Staff (Current Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAApril 12, 2012
Although I volunteer at WAA, whenever I go in, I am treated warmly and promptly and i see that the same courtesy is extended to every one there.
Cons
lack of permanent positions to absorb volunteers