Woodard & Curran Employee Reviews

There are Better Options
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEOctober 28, 2017
Based on my experience working at other firms, the pay is lower than industry average. While there may be one name over the door, Woodard & Curran is basically a conglomerate of 5 or 6 separate companies working under the same name. As a result, there is very little synergy between groups. This is not a company that is interested in keeping valuable employees, but ones that demonstrate submissive behavior and keep a low profile.
Pros
Benefits are affordable and provide good coverage.
Cons
Better training is needed for staff. Communication is poor between groups and across the firm.
Losing Good Employees
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAOctober 14, 2017
Company doesn't seem to care that good employees continue to leave the company. Upper management is disengaged from what's happening on a day to day basis in the company. Everything you hear about putting the employee first at this company is complete garbage. Company has very few technical experts. If you have a challenging problem to solve, good luck finding resources to help. Company can only grow through acquisitions.
Pros
Decent pay, benefits and time off
Cons
Weak management. Lack of communication. Poor resources.
Better Career Than Competitor Companies
Scientist (Current Employee) –  New JerseyAugust 2, 2017
I worked at a different firm prior to coming to Woodard & Curran, and the difference is night and day. This is a place where you're treated like a human being, and I don't worry about not being able to have a life outside of my job. The managers care about their employees, and the people here are willing to take the time to teach others rather than force you to sink or swim on your own.
Great Place to Challenge Yourself and Grow
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Cherry Hill, NJAugust 2, 2017
With over 15 years in the industry (with multiple consulting firms), I have found Woodard & Curran to be a great place to challenge myself and grow both personally and professionally. In my opinion, the diverse workplace environment has provided me with an opportunity to foster long lasting relationships both inside and outside the company. These relationships have given me the opportunity to expand my knowledge and expertise in environmental consulting over the years. My experience has been that Woodard & Curran has provided me the opportunity to develop a well balance work/personal life. Management has mentored me in a way that has helped guide me toward reaching both short term and long term goals. Would recommend Woodard & Curran to others!
Pros
Work Place Culture
Cons
Bonus Timing - Usually End of April
Buddy-Buddy Company
Operator Wastewater Treatment Facility (Former Employee) –  MassachusettsJuly 19, 2017
You can be the hardest worker out there but, if you don't have a buddy in management or, you don't suck up to management, you might as well forget it. Raises,bonuses,and everything else only depends on who your buddy is!
Benefits
Cons
Management. All the way to top!
Not A Unified Company
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 6, 2017
Many managers take a passive/aggressive approach to dealing with staff. There are some people here who are just not very genuine. Communication across the firm is horrendous. Very divided company. This place feels like it's 5 or 6 different companies working under the same name.
Pros
Flexibility to take time off for appointments, personal matters, etc.
Cons
Growing turnover rate.
Great place to work for
Intern and Project Scientist (Former Employee) –  Cheshire, CTMay 3, 2017
I did a quick stint here as intern to complete my environmental requirement for law school. The culture at Woodard and Curran is great. If you can envision a place that is quick paced but also relaxed, this is it. Very sharp personnel that are easy to work with. I highly recommend this for employment.
Not a top tier firm
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RIApril 29, 2017
This is a company that has a hard time competing with the elite firms in the industry. Company is focused on regional work. You will not get the opportunity to work on high profile projects in other parts of the country. And you will not get the opportunity to work on high profile local projects. This is a medium sized firm that delivers small company projects, but has big company problems.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
Disengaged upper management
Too Much Change
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAApril 22, 2017
Too much change which constantly makes doing your job harder. Poor sharing of resources across groups. Upper management continually asking more and giving less. You will be asked to do the same types of projects over and over again with little opportunity to work on projects outside your group.
Pros
There are some genuinely good people at this company.
Cons
Long hours due to staff not efficiently delivering on projects.
Productive place to work with a great team!
Environmental Consulting Intern (Former Employee) –  White Plains, NYMarch 27, 2017
Truly enjoyed my experience with Woodard & Curran. Plenty of smart and dedicated people advancing themselves and their company. I would recommend this company to any body looking to promote environmental stewardship and advance their own careers.
Past Its Prime
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Dedham, MAMarch 20, 2017
Company is on a down slide and losing market share. Communication is lacking across all levels of the firm. Too many employees who are content to do the bare minimum. Company has become too concerned with metrics.
Pros
Benefits that are slightly above industry average.
Cons
Poorly trained managers
Hard Work and Dedication Will Get You Nowhere
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAMarch 11, 2017
The company has become a place with too many senior managers, too much bureaucracy, little accountability for staff, poor project delivery, too much emphasis on profitability, a lack of career opportunities and just a generally poor overall work environment.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits.
Cons
Poor communication. Senior management who only become engaged when there is an issue.
Poor Leadership
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Portland, MEFebruary 3, 2017
Top heavy company with poor leadership and management. A lot of people who are difficult to work with. Company culture used to be good bad has taken a turn for the worse. Poor project execution.
Pros
OK pay and benefits
Cons
Technical capabilities and quality control are lacking.
Limited Resources
Engineer (Former Employee) –  Andover, MAJanuary 29, 2017
Company is spread very thin across service lines which leads to the problem of limited resources to efficiently execute work. Very easy to fall into the "curse of competence" trap with this company. Limited opportunities for career growth. Some upper managers are extremely difficult to work with. Unimpressive technical capabilities across the firm. Poor communication across the company.
Pros
Decent pay and benefits
Ok place just watch your back
Waste warter operator (Former Employee) –  Monterey tnJanuary 12, 2017
To many chiefs ,not enoug getting out and really getting to know what's really going on with managers in companies away from there front door,,,good people get done wrongs,and high ups never take the time to really check out what's up.
Pros
Good benifets
Cons
Not really in controll of managers
Great place for career advancement and personal growth
Project Engineer (Current Employee) –  MassachusettsDecember 14, 2016
Given the size of the company, you have to be willing to engage to get the most out of the Woodard & Curran experience. There are multiple opportunities available to anyone that’s willing to seize them. If you choose not to be involved in the culture, chances are that your experience here will be less rewarding. On the other hand, if you do take charge of your own development, people at all levels are ready and willing to help you achieve your goals. Let’s face it, no company is perfect. But at Woodard & Curran, people do come first and management does a great job of trying to live up to the mission statement on a daily basis. I enjoy coming to work each day and would recommend Woodard & Curran to anyone in the industry.
Payroll Assistant (Contract Assignment) (Former Employee) –  Portland, MENovember 4, 2016
I was there as a contractor but the management and the staff made me feel like I was a full time employee. I enjoyed working with this company. The work/life balance is very important to them
Pros
Free coffee
Cons
I was a Contractor
Great Company
Employee (Current Employee) –  New EnglandSeptember 28, 2016
While no company or job is perfect, I have enjoyed my time at Woodard & Curran. It's work that has a positive impact on the environment and communities, and a company that has every intention to puts its people first. I would recommend to others without hesitating. The company is going through changes and is focused on growing the business to new regions. This of course creates new ways of doing things and new systems to learn, but has the potential to provide additional opportunities for employee's. I enjoy going to work each day, and I'm proud of the work that I accomplish with my team.
Pros
Great people, and plenty of free food for meetings and events.
Cons
Training is available, but for those willing to ask.
Used to Be a Great Place to Work
Project Engineer (Former Employee) –  Providence, RINovember 4, 2015
Up until a couple of years ago, W&C was a good place to work. And then the company hit that tipping point where they started to lose their identity. While "only" about 800 people, the company has started to look and act like a company ten times the size, and that isn't necessarily a good thing. Once a place with good people, great work life balance and great career opportunities, the company is being transformed into nothing more than a business which operates solely for the bottom line. What a shame.
Productive place to work
Environmental Technician (Former Employee) –  Asbury Park, NJJanuary 26, 2015
Check water pumps pressure, learned how to clean tanks, Management and co-workers are good to work with,if a pipe bust, you have to put it back together, landscape
Pros
Team-worker
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woodard & Curran. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6