Woodland Park Zoo Employee Reviews

Awesome retail experience here:
SALES LEAD (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 16, 2015
Pros: Free admission to the zoo.
Cons: Poor pay/compensation for employees
Everyone is close, we are like family here. There are always minor setbacks to working in retail but it's a fun and enjoyable job to have.
fun place to work at.
Cart Runner (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 10, 2015
it was fun working at the zoo. they give you probably to much responsibility but you learn to handle that really fast. made a lot with tips for zoo tunes and had a blast as well. would go back and work for them if asked.
great place to work
Carpenter (Former Employee), seattleApril 9, 2015
Pros: get to go to the zoo every day!
Cons: Animal waste (zoo poo), chronically underfunded (city, county, ...)
Great place to work. Great people working their best to fulfill the mission. Management wasn't bossy or authoritarian, but respectful and helpful. Lots of collaboration - across trades and ranks.
Non Profit -
Administrative (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 13, 2014
Pros: 92 acres of walking and friendly teams
Cons: no growth - lock in when you sign on - top dogs never interact
Would be a great place to work - walk and play. Top down structure typical for high level corporations - but this is a small non-profit
A knowledgeable place environment with a friendly staff
Orangutan Unit (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 26, 2014
Pros: helping captive animals
Cleaning and prepping daily meals, cleaning and prepping enclosures, cleaning communal spaces and interacting with the animals
fun place with really nice people
Volunteer (Current Employee), Seattle, WaMay 11, 2014
everyone is so nice and happy. Its like they really enjoy working here and love their jobs.
I love drawing!
Caricature Artist (Former Employee), Seattle, WAFebruary 17, 2014
Pros: free coffee, coworkers
Cons: ugly uniforms, underpaid
I had the opportunity to draw caricatures here, and I loved it! My manager taught me how to make my drawings more dynamic. My coworkers were great and clearly loved what they were doing. I made a ton of friends
Fun and educational in every way!
Zoo Corps Intern (Former Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 22, 2013
Pros: everything
Cons: minimum wage
Working at Woodland Park Zoo was the most fun I've ever had at a job. I was a part of Zoo Corps (a teen program) that helped out in almost every area of the zoo: food prep., keeper assistance, classes and camps, training volunteers, the petting zoo, customer service, and educational stands/animal handling. Working here provided me with a variety of experiences that are widely applicable and almost impossible to find in any one place (other than the zoo) especially in an entry level position. The management was great; helpful, educational, kind, patient, and they had fun too. And my co-workers were my peers, we all got along and no one wasn't having a good time. To be honest, I can't remember one thing I didn't enjoy about working at the zoo.
Fun place to work with animals and people
Docent (Former Employee), Seattle, WAJune 7, 2013
Pros: great outdoor experience, beautiful setting.
Cons: finding my way around the zoo at times :)
I was a docent and volunteer and therefore not paid. The job consisted of giving tours and educational programs and participating in fundraising events.

I worked in teams and also alone. The job involved creativity, organization and the ability to connect with people. I worked weekends and also during the summer since I was also teaching.

The hardest part of the job was answering so many questions; this meant that I had to really "know my stuff" about a large variety of animals and issues.
Great mission and a very fun place to work.
Coordinator (Current Employee), Seattle, WAApril 22, 2013
Love working for the Zoo but growth in my position is limited.
great people, they were all so welcoming and helpful
Volunteer Crew Member (Former Employee), Seattle, WADecember 1, 2012
Pros: free lunches, snack, the animals
Cons: the program was in the summer so it was quite hot
when i volunteered at wood land park zoo i was very surprised to see such a diverse group of young adults also volunteering with me and we all got along so well. it was a dream job with the most helpful supervisor's and manager,s and counselor's. it was great.
Friendly work environment with passionate people
Zoo Corps Intern (Current Employee), Seattle, WAAugust 4, 2012
I volunteered and worked at Woodland Park Zoo as part of a youth development program. All of the adults I worked with were really passionate about their jobs, as well as helping to shape the professionalism and office behavior of the teens. The hardest part of the job is maintaining a professional environment while working with good friends.
Fast paced, ever changing and enjoying all aspects of my position.
Manager, Events and Sales (Current Employee), Seattle, WAJune 13, 2012
Pros: working for an organization to promote conservation messages and partnering in global efforts
Cons: limited professional growth opportunities
Staff at the zoo demonstrate compassion, dedication and commitment on a level that I've not seen in my professional career. It inspires me each and every day to be a part of a big pool of talent.
Productive and fun place
Zoo Service Associate (Former Employee), Seattle, WAApril 10, 2012
Pros: free admissions
I loved working at the Zoo. Management was almost, they got things done, worked conflicts well, but knew how to have fun. Co-workers was also so much fun. It was very busy but it was a very fun place to work.