Veterinary technician needs to be able to assist the veterinarian in all daily duties and procedures in order to run a veterinary hospital. These duties include:
- Interfacing with clients, patients, staff and industry representatives in a friendly but calm manner in order to assist veterinarian in daily tasks.
- Educates clients about basic pet husbandry, wellness care and medical procedures that may be performed according to veterinarian’s guidelines. Discusses estimates for procedures with clients
- Obtain and record patient case histories. Perform TPR’s and initial assessments of potential emergencies.
- Restrain different animal species during examination, treatment, or inoculation from various positions and heights, sometimes in front of clients, in a calm yet controlled manner.
- Collect laboratory specimens and perform laboratory procedures
- Provide specialized nursing care of hospitalized patients especially maintaining patient cleanliness when sick and assesses discomfort and distress of patients to bring to attention of veterinarian at all times.
- Administers medications, performs venipunctures, catheter placement and maintenance, performs dental prophylaxis, administers anesthesia and monitors patient during anesthesia, post-operative recovery and hospitalization, and applies wound dressings under supervision of veterinarian.
- Prepare patients, instruments and equipment for surgery
- Assist in diagnostic, medical and surgical procedures
- Assist with euthanasias and performs end of life care
- Expose and develop x-rays
- Maintain hospital equipment
- Stock and maintain medicines and supplies
- Maintains hospital-grade cleanliness in all areas of operation
Indeed - 6 months ago