Woods Services Employee Reviews

Great Company,Diverse
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 27, 2016
Great company to join.Individuals are well taken care of.Great place to learn and meet people of different cultures.There's always different activities to engage in with individuals.
Pros
free meals, benefits
Cons
pay rate
Excellent company but could be better
Staff Counselor III (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAAugust 3, 2015
When you enter a residential treatment facility as a direct care worker, you have to expect certain things: it's tough work, little job security, and low pay. Woods does a good job balancing that out by offering excellent benefits in light of what they cannot do because of limited funds. There are pockets of amazing teams throughout the campus; the employees in those areas work as a cohesive unit, caring about the residents as well as one another. But there are areas that are poorly managed, and as a result, the residents receive mediocre care while the employees do not get along. Overall, the upper management needs to focus on improving the company by having higher standards for the supervisors and managers and better accountability.
Pros
Great cause, helping people in need, good people, amazing benefits.
Cons
Low pay, low job security, low morale in some areas.
Employed By The Worst
Staff Counselor II (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJune 7, 2016
This company as a whole is a huge ethical dilemma. The amount of unreported abuse is over the top but that is not to even be compared to the amount of abuse that gets reported and management makes it go away to avoid dealing with it. Those clients are going to be leaving there with more issues than they had when the entered. This place is always understaffed and out of ratio due to the way it is ran, the lack of competent leadership, and the type of abusive, selfish and unskilled people that are hired. It's not worth the doubles and overtime that is required to make ends meet.
Cons
No breaks, lack of competent management, abusers, low pay rate, lack of diversity beyond direct staff and housekeeping
Care Taker
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PADecember 3, 2015
A typical day at work is majority of the time smooth. I work with people with disabilities. I go into work with my mind set for my clients nothing else matters. I work with fulfilling their wants and desires. I try to make them as happy as possible which isn't so hard because everything they want is easy to give such as my time, my smile, my effort, and my love. I learned that I was put here for a special reason for my clients because it isn't always easy working with non-verbal people but its the fact that I take the time to get to learn them day to day. Sometimes I feel like my co-workers aren't as sincere about their job as I am (most are) but just some aren't . I feel like some people are just there for a pay check but I think in this field those intentions are all the way wrong. The hardest part about my job is sometimes not knowing what is wrong with my client, especially if they are in pain or upset. I say that because I want to always make sure they are always okay and when they are non-verbal its like playing charades with them and it might get frustrating to them because I am taking too long. The most enjoyable part about my job is going in with a smile and leaving with a smile. I tend to smile all day because there isn't anything to not smile about! I go in there taking care of people I love so much and I know that they love me back and what isn't to smile about that it's the most amazing feeling ever.
Pros
travel & explore, beautiful campus, different units, overtime
Cons
compensation, supervisors, some rules
Productive.
RESIDENTIAL COUNSELOR /PROGRAM SUPERVISOR (Current Employee) –  Lamghorne, PADecember 5, 2015
Woods services is great organization to establish yourself, But not to make a career at that place in particular. The field is good, You get a chance to build relationships with great people. Staff and Kids included. The only thing I did not agree with was how the company treat their veteran Staff. Individuals that dedicated their life to that company to be let go due to false allegations. Management does a poor job with how they treat their staff.
Pros
Being a roll model for young indidvuals with intellect disabilities.
Cons
Management.
Great first job
Client Care Worker- Beech (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAAugust 6, 2016
I worked her for 5 years and I can say it was one of three best Jobs I've held . The position as a client care worker allowed me to go to school at three small time since there was a lot of down time . I loved the client side and managment was fair . Great place for high school graduates until you finish college.
Productive & Compassionate workplace
Medication Trained Staff (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAMarch 4, 2015
On a typical work day I would administer medications and interact with the clients by having them say their medications.
The management is great, easy to talk to and helpful.
My co-workers are extremely compassionate about helping others.
The most enjoyable part of my job is making a difference in the lives of the individuals I care for
Pros
low cost healthcare
Cons
not enough raises
Productive educating therapuetic environment rehabilitating center
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PASeptember 28, 2012
A typical day at work is engaging in learning and providing the right care for each client. Also communicating with the staff employee and management of whats activities and the best team work needed for the day or task at hand. I learned the better understanding of kids and adults with disabilities and how to better assist them also better reasoning skills. I learned how to adapt and help others adapt to their environment and educating in a informational learning summary. The hardest part of my job is trying to help more behavioral clients and implementing a activity that may occupy them or satisfy their wants or needs. The favorable or enjoyable part is helping people and problem solving.
Pros
providing care or help, problem solving, health benefits
Cons
certain dangers, unsanitary situations
Love the children
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAOctober 27, 2015
I loved working at woods, the children they were the best. Coworkers were like high school students. Management only thinks about themselves. I was at work on time for every shift, never called out, abused the children, or got into any disagreements with staff or management. Everyone would say I was one of the best staff there but I was let go and not able to get my job back or see my little guys over and accusation. I was hurt because i really took pride in working there and being there for those boys I worked with. One of the BEST jobs I ever had.
Pros
Seeing the children smile just from reading them a book to tucking them into bed at night!!
Cons
My manager did not care about how good of a job I did there for the company.
Good work place to start and develop an understanding of the challenges in the behavioral community
Residential Counselor (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJuly 14, 2013
Woods Services has been a good place to work for the past year. A typical day at Woods has been to clock in, interact with the clients by assisting with personal living and develop routines for clients who need further assistance if they lack the necessary skills. Management for the most part has been good to me. They have been willing to answer any questions I've had in regards to how to better serve the clients. Many of my coworkers are more than willing to assist with crisis situations and are the most colorful bunch to be around. The hardest part of the job is when you deal with clients who are continually physically aggressive and the amount of time the position takes away from your social life. The most enjoyable part of the job has been learning how to interact with the clients and seeing how different each client was. Learning that just because they have an developmental disability does not mean they conform to one way of acting and have feelings too.
Pros
advancement opportunities, some good co-workers, beautiful campus, cheap benefits
Cons
time consuming, low payrate currently, turnover rate
Exceptional people fullfilling lives.
Medical Appointment Secretary (Current Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJuly 8, 2013
Non profit organization that serves special needs. I arrange the medical appointments as well as correspond with transportation to get individuals to various medical off campus appointments as well as assist nursing staff and case managers with essential paperwork needed. I've learned a great deal about various insurance policies and how to obtain referrals, as well as having thorough communication skills between various medical offices/ specialists and guardians. Management is mostly hands on and thorough with what is expected in staff positions as well as guided by strict office policies and procedures. Hardest part of the job is enjoying what I do but I also understand that I cannot advance further and learn more skills or acquire reasonable compensation for years put into company. I thoroughly enjoy meeting and interacting with our residents as well as doing the best I possibly can to help them with their appointments. I treat every appointment as though it is my own and I give every attention to the smallest details presented to me.
Pros
excellent benefits and health packages, paid time off.
Cons
no room for advancement in some positions
Horrible Place!!
Residential counselor (Former Employee) –  Langhore PAJanuary 17, 2014
Woods is a wonderful place for residents however the staff are treated poorly!! if you need a paycheck this is the place for you, however do not plan a life around this job i.e home purchase, buying a car, raising a family they will fire you without hesitation, staff that have been working there for 20-30 years have been fired without warning they care absoultely NOTHING!! about you.
Pros
overtime, benefits
Cons
mangement awful, no employee loyalty
energetic co-workers, loveable clients
Teachers aide (Current Employee) –  langhorne, PAAugust 11, 2013
when the clients arrive at school we do toileting if needed. Depending on clients learning ability (vocational or high functioning reading & writing) we do morning meeting prepare goal work and follow the daily program. co-workers are very friendly. The hardest part of this job is 3:1 ration with only wheel chair clients. The most enjoyable part of this job is seeing your client accomplish a new task as hard as it was they still accomplished it with a beautiful smile on their face.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
no breaks, low pay
Typical job
Billing Represantive (Former Employee) –  Langhorne PaOctober 22, 2015
I liked my co-workers, the job was not a secure job, a typical day sometimes was a hectic one. The hardest part of the job was not being able to concentrate on my job and lots of distraction. The job duties were not equal. There was a lot of people who had lots of time on their hands. The billing system was not up to date and the bills were done about 5 different ways. Lot's of distractions.
The most enjoyable part of my job was meeting nice people, having a job to go to every day, learning new things. They never recognized the billing department for their hard work.
Pros
free lunches, close to home, hours were great
Cons
no breaks, not recoganized for hard work, always busy, big turnover with staff.
Fun place to work at.
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PADecember 6, 2015
A typical day at was getting the children off the bus and escorting them into class. I assisted a one to one student for six hours. I helped him with ADL's, adaptive devices, and classroom work. It was great working with my co-workers it was always about teamwork. The hardest part of my job was the emotions I felt for the children with developmental disabilities its always an emotional attachment when it comes to children.
Pros
Holidays off
Cons
Short breaks
Children with disabilities lived at Woods
Teacher's Aide / Client Care Worker (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJanuary 28, 2016
The job was stressful, but at the same time rewarding. The days were long and the children all needed around the clock care.
It was a great experience with fair pay
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PANovember 11, 2015
The work environment was fun with supportive management
I gain friends and a great support team
I learned new skills and gained more knowledge for the field
Productive, nice people to work with
Accounts Receivable/Billing Representative (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PAJuly 23, 2015
My typical work day was busy
I learned how to enter information into the system-using CMHC and became more familiar with excel and word.
Management was helpful and kind
I met some nice co-workers
The hardest part of the job was interruptions, and being able to get the job done on time, but I took a management class and have since then learned to deal with them and now I can work proficiently to get the job done.
I enjoyed meeting new people and working well with others and learning new things
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
No 15 min brakes
great inviroment
Residential Counselor (Former Employee) –  Langhorne, PADecember 2, 2014
great place to grow and allows you to help others in need great opportunities for self growth and networking with other individuals in this profession.
Pros
benifits
Cons
managment
Rewarding at times. Upper Management has more concern about projecting the facade of excellence than actually attaining it.
Program Supervisor (Former Employee) –  LanghorneMay 10, 2013
The benefits are pretty good after a 6 month probation period. However residential counselors are expendable and many are lucky to survive 6 months. There is a reason the turnover is 30-40% each year requiring continual and ongoing hiring. Actually there's a whole training center that hosts orientation on a bi-weekly basis.

The job itself is what you make of it, there are good people and bad that work here. Those that care for the clients and those there just to do the bare minimum and get there pay-check. The major problem is that the Upper Management (Woodlands Program) is more concerned about presenting the facade of excellence than attaining it. This is to the detriment of both clients and staff. I was forced to discipline and at times terminate staff that, in my belief, cared to much and were perceived a liability because they may rock the boat and shed light on the high level of abuse that is prevalent. I started as a CCW and witnessed this first hand. After promotion staff obviously were not so open about it but i was aware. I took concerns to upper management and they were essentially discarded.

Good place for a paycheck but if you want to make a real difference forget it. Bureaucracy is rife and the Directors care more about the funding than the clients.
Pros
benefits, can make a difference, satisfying (individual), ongoing training.
Cons
bureaucratic, staff turnover, abuse of clients, nepotistic, easy to get fired (rc's), dictatorial environment.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Woods Services. Our community is ready to answer.

Woods Services Reviews by Location