Worcester Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews in United States

Good opportunity to teach students
Teaching Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is to go to lab sessions and help students to run experiment

I learnt how to set-up experiments, teach students, grade labs, and pin down the sources of technical/computational error

My co-workers are great,

The hardest part is to grade many labs.

The most enjoyable part is to help students.
Pros
Teaching opportunities
Cons
No Cons
Good place to begin a career
Graduate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 20, 2016
WPI is a good place to begin a career. I didnt find the people all that friendly and helpful. However, when my mom was dying I had a great boss at the time who was very understanding. When he left I felt that the new chair of the department was insulting.
Pros
Great Christmas bonuses
Cons
unfriendly people
Healthcare data is very vast, hence there is huge scope to explore and establish inferences
Technical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 28, 2016
I have a passion for data-driven projects hence I like to challenge myself with similar areas where I can use my analytical capabilities
too much politics
Laboratory Manager, FPE dept. (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2016
Staff is considered 2nd class employees.Tenured faculty can act without repudiation. If you have a good supervisor it can be a good place to work.
Great learning workplace with great people
Summer undergraduate research fellowships (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 25, 2016
Professors and PhD students were always there to guide and help students to develop new skills. What I learned most from this job was problem solving. I received professional advice everyday.
Pros
Fun people and flexible schedules
Cons
Not a lot of industrial mindset
Hard Working University with Tremendous Opportunities
Peer Learning Assistant for Biomedical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 14, 2016
WPI is a very project based university, which requires its students to work with other in almost every class. The professors are also extremely helpful and ensure students are pushing themselves to the best of their abilities.

Working at WPI over the summer was a very supportive atmosphere with both professors and graduate students guiding my project towards success. They also gave me a lot of responsibilities, which allowed me to become a lot more confident in lab settings.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Awkward hours: i.e 6-12 hour days depending
Wonderful place to work, with wonderful co-workers
Administrative Assistant VI (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 12, 2016
WPI is a very diverse place to work. The faculty, staff and students are wonderful and very helpful. Everyday brings something new to learn. I have learned a great deal about the workflow of an educational institution and all it's moving parts behind the scenes.
Cons
In Administration, limited room for growth.
Great stepping Stone
Part-Time Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 16, 2015
Atmosphere was good to work at. Depending what department you work in it can be hectic during the school year but everyone helps you out and tries their best.
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant to the President (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 17, 2015
WPI is a very special place to work. The campus is beautiful and maintained to make it a lovely environment. The people are happy and the culture is one of mutual support.
ok
Visiting Assistant Professor/Postdoc Scholar (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2015
First time USA teaching experience. A typical USA public university and the working there was fine. Houston is a good area.
Fantastic job.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO ASSOC. PROVOST (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 15, 2015
I worked in the Provost's office for the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. The college atmosphere was fabulous...working with college kids, professors...just the best job ever.
good
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 17, 2015
Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a very worthful school, it not only provide me with academic help but also teach me how to be a good teacher.
great experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 15, 2015
• Designed and launched a multidimensional survey to explore demographics and psychographics, and helped extracting insights to develop targeting strategies for small business entrepreneurs
• Assisted professor in giving speech in China and Chile related to family business and entrepreneurship, including material research, PowerPoint design, and speech script/report writing
• Gathered and analyzed related research material from university websites using PIVOT
Lots of professional development
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MaJuly 11, 2015
Great institution to work at, with lots of opportunities for professional growth. There's a friendly community feeling to this workplace and my coworkers were all fantastic and hard working.
Nice professor and nice workplace
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  worcesterFebruary 17, 2015
I learned how to conduct cost benefits analysis on healthcare system and carry out research survey by using Qualtrics. It definitely cultivate my research and communication skills.
I love teach and share my culture
Martial Art teacher (Capoeira) (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 15, 2015
A typical day at work it is awesome.
I learned that it is very important to work in group and each student are different from each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the students miss the class.
The most enjoyable part of this job is see the students enjoying the class and always asking for more.
Pros
pi class credit course
MIS 571 Database Application course group project, SQL based database application development
Course Project-Android APP Development (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 21, 2014
It's an interesting course project, using SQL database software package to develop an Android APP. Basing on my researching area, I suggested group do the unused drug recycle system. In the project, I response for design the processing of the reverse supply chain, ER model, and translate information needs for DB design.
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at work is doing research or reading references in the lab. After mathematical derivations, we can do numerical simulations base on R or Python to verify your intuition or idea. The environment is free and every one in the lab is self-paced and self-motivating. The hardest part is to explore the working principles and natures behind the math equations or the analysis results. And for me, this is also the most enjoyable of the job at the same time.
Pros
free environment
I was a financial aid secretary.
Admin Assistant - Financial Aid Department (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 5, 2014
I learned the fiscal calendar for the financial aid department during my short 3 months there.
help desk is a nightmare to work at
HELPDESK ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 21, 2014
The help desk is a horrible place for any male employee to work unless your flamboyant . Sad to say management acts up front like it is great but then beats you down once you start.
Pros
student staff are great
Cons
management has no knowledge of tech besides buzz words most staff know almost nothing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3