Worcester Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

With the right PI a great place to get a Phd.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 3, 2016
The other grad students are helpful and not cut throat making it a great place to learn. It is still a program trying to find its feet so it is more suited to independent and self motivated graduate students. Despite its small size we have extensive instrumentation and anything we don't have Umass med does.
Pros
Great for the independent learning
Cons
Not many classes for grad students so if you feel behind in theory won't make it up here
It Depends on the Professor
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2016
Generally, if your professor is clear about what the assignments are, you'll be ok. The two professors I worked with often neglected to provide grading rubrics for the assignments we were supposed to be grading and often gave writing assignments so vague that the we couldn't help the students figure it out because we didn't even know.
Good opportunity to teach students
Teaching Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is to go to lab sessions and help students to run experiment

I learnt how to set-up experiments, teach students, grade labs, and pin down the sources of technical/computational error

My co-workers are great,

The hardest part is to grade many labs.

The most enjoyable part is to help students.
Pros
Teaching opportunities
Cons
No Cons
Good place to begin a career
Graduate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 20, 2016
WPI is a good place to begin a career. I didnt find the people all that friendly and helpful. However, when my mom was dying I had a great boss at the time who was very understanding. When he left I felt that the new chair of the department was insulting.
Pros
Great Christmas bonuses
Cons
unfriendly people
Good univeristy
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2016
good university with diverse and good culture.
Like the Professors, and fast-paced learning environment.
Recommend WPI.
Hard Working University with Tremendous Opportunities
Peer Learning Assistant for Biomedical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 14, 2016
WPI is a very project based university, which requires its students to work with other in almost every class. The professors are also extremely helpful and ensure students are pushing themselves to the best of their abilities.

Working at WPI over the summer was a very supportive atmosphere with both professors and graduate students guiding my project towards success. They also gave me a lot of responsibilities, which allowed me to become a lot more confident in lab settings.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Awkward hours: i.e 6-12 hour days depending
Great Student Job
Information Technology Helpdesk Student Lead (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 15, 2016
I love working at the Helpdesk. The staff is really great, and you learn a lot about the IT infrastructure at WPI. This job is a fantastic way to improve customer service skills, as well as computer software skills.
Wonderful place to work, with wonderful co-workers
Administrative Assistant VI (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 12, 2016
WPI is a very diverse place to work. The faculty, staff and students are wonderful and very helpful. Everyday brings something new to learn. I have learned a great deal about the workflow of an educational institution and all it's moving parts behind the scenes.
Cons
In Administration, limited room for growth.
Great learning workplace with great people
Summer undergraduate research fellowships (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 25, 2016
Professors and PhD students were always there to guide and help students to develop new skills. What I learned most from this job was problem solving. I received professional advice everyday.
Pros
Fun people and flexible schedules
Cons
Not a lot of industrial mindset
Healthcare data is very vast, hence there is huge scope to explore and establish inferences
Technical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 28, 2016
I have a passion for data-driven projects hence I like to challenge myself with similar areas where I can use my analytical capabilities

Want to know more about Worcester Polytechnic Institute?

Ask a question
too much politics
Laboratory Manager, FPE dept. (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2016
Staff is considered 2nd class employees.Tenured faculty can act without repudiation. If you have a good supervisor it can be a good place to work.
great experience
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 15, 2015
• Designed and launched a multidimensional survey to explore demographics and psychographics, and helped extracting insights to develop targeting strategies for small business entrepreneurs
• Assisted professor in giving speech in China and Chile related to family business and entrepreneurship, including material research, PowerPoint design, and speech script/report writing
• Gathered and analyzed related research material from university websites using PIVOT
Wonderful place to work
Administrative Assistant to the President (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 17, 2015
WPI is a very special place to work. The campus is beautiful and maintained to make it a lovely environment. The people are happy and the culture is one of mutual support.
Great stepping Stone
Part-Time Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 16, 2015
Atmosphere was good to work at. Depending what department you work in it can be hectic during the school year but everyone helps you out and tries their best.
Great place to learn
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 29, 2014
A typical day at work is doing research or reading references in the lab. After mathematical derivations, we can do numerical simulations base on R or Python to verify your intuition or idea. The environment is free and every one in the lab is self-paced and self-motivating. The hardest part is to explore the working principles and natures behind the math equations or the analysis results. And for me, this is also the most enjoyable of the job at the same time.
Pros
Free environment
MIS 571 Database Application course group project, SQL based database application development
Course Project-Android APP Development (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 21, 2014
It's an interesting course project, using SQL database software package to develop an Android APP. Basing on my researching area, I suggested group do the unused drug recycle system. In the project, I response for design the processing of the reverse supply chain, ER model, and translate information needs for DB design.
An excellent school, an excellent opportunity
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 25, 2012
Worcester Polytechnic Institute (WPI) is an excellent school for a motivated individual who would like to develop an education in creating useful technology. With a strong focus on entrepreneurial spirit, potential students will almost always be able to find a faculty backer for a project they are passionate about it. At WPI, you find the rare situation where hard work, intelligence and skill are rewarded with the support they deserve rather than a largely political game.
Pros
supportive environment, teamwork, fosters originality and creativity
Cons
it is quite clearly an academic institution.
Fantastic job.
ADMINISTRATIVE ASSISTANT TO ASSOC. PROVOST (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 15, 2015
I worked in the Provost's office for the Dean of Undergraduate Studies. The college atmosphere was fabulous...working with college kids, professors...just the best job ever.
I love teach and share my culture
Martial Art teacher (Capoeira) (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 15, 2015
A typical day at work it is awesome.
I learned that it is very important to work in group and each student are different from each other.
The hardest part of the job is when the students miss the class.
The most enjoyable part of this job is see the students enjoying the class and always asking for more.
Pros
PI class credit course
help desk is a nightmare to work at
HELPDESK ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 21, 2014
The help desk is a horrible place for any male employee to work unless your flamboyant . Sad to say management acts up front like it is great but then beats you down once you start.
Pros
student staff are great
Cons
management has no knowledge of tech besides buzz words most staff know almost nothing.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcester Polytechnic Institute. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3