Worcester Polytechnic Institute Employee Reviews

Graduate Assistant
Graduate Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 9, 2017
Department is trying to help students gain experience by every means with limited resource, since business school is relatively small in this polytechnic institute. But professors are trying their best to find resource for students. Faculty cares about students' needs and are very flexible in time arrangement.
Extremely Rewarding
Summer Undergraduate Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 25, 2017
As a SURF, you get to learn a lot. Your research is your work, so it is a great way to learn on the job.If you advisor is good, then it does not feel like a burden,
See below
Post-Doctoral Fellow (Former Employee) –  USAOctober 3, 2017
Very good school. easy accesses to library. Opportunity to teach chemistry and participate in other activity sport, music and attend different conferences.
Nice environment with nice people
Graduate Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 23, 2017
I really love the job as a graduate assistant. I used to worked as a front desk girl who interact the senior level faculty and administrators and responsible for the marketing and administrative duties. Now I am a research assistant and help professor research the materials he need.
The environment here is so nice. People are nice and willing to help. The hardest part is that when some students need help but there's no enough materials here for me to help them. The most enjoyable part is that the senior faculties are happy to talk to me everyday. I can know lots of interesting things from them.
Wonderful Community!
Office Manager/Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MASeptember 7, 2017
It's a great place to work, hands down.
Most enjoyable part of my job was interacting with the students. They are the underlying reason for anyone there to have jobs and the students make it all worth it!
Pros
Students keep you young at heart! Super diverse community!
Cons
Getting a more corporate feel than it ever had.
a great university for graduate study
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 24, 2017
Worcester Polytechnic Institute is a private research university in Worcester, Massachusetts, focusing on the instruction and research of technical arts and applied sciences
Great Exposure
Student Advisory Board Member (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 22, 2017
Working as a Graduate Assistant. The professors are very helpful and eager to let the students learn from the challenges provided. Its the student's effort that matters at the end to learn from the experience or not.
Student
Student (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 8, 2017
Participated in several projects and labs. The labs were for classes that required coding experience. Projects were focused on research and used lots of data.
Great place to get science experience
Lab Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 18, 2017
I very much enjoy working here. It gives me experience in the biomedical field in a lab setting, that involves research and development of biomedical devices.
It Depends on the Professor
Peer Learning Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2016
Generally, if your professor is clear about what the assignments are, you'll be ok. The two professors I worked with often neglected to provide grading rubrics for the assignments we were supposed to be grading and often gave writing assignments so vague that the we couldn't help the students figure it out because we didn't even know.
With the right PI a great place to get a Phd.
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 3, 2016
The other grad students are helpful and not cut throat making it a great place to learn. It is still a program trying to find its feet so it is more suited to independent and self motivated graduate students. Despite its small size we have extensive instrumentation and anything we don't have Umass med does.
Pros
Great for the independent learning
Cons
Not many classes for grad students so if you feel behind in theory won't make it up here
Good univeristy
Research Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 9, 2016
good university with diverse and good culture.
Like the Professors, and fast-paced learning environment.
Recommend WPI.
Good opportunity to teach students
Teaching Lab Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 24, 2016
A typical day at work is to go to lab sessions and help students to run experiment

I learnt how to set-up experiments, teach students, grade labs, and pin down the sources of technical/computational error

My co-workers are great,

The hardest part is to grade many labs.

The most enjoyable part is to help students.
Pros
Teaching opportunities
Cons
No Cons
Good place to begin a career
Graduate Secretary (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAApril 20, 2016
WPI is a good place to begin a career. I didnt find the people all that friendly and helpful. However, when my mom was dying I had a great boss at the time who was very understanding. When he left I felt that the new chair of the department was insulting.
Pros
Great Christmas bonuses
Cons
unfriendly people
Great Student Job
Information Technology Helpdesk Student Lead (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 15, 2016
I love working at the Helpdesk. The staff is really great, and you learn a lot about the IT infrastructure at WPI. This job is a fantastic way to improve customer service skills, as well as computer software skills.
Healthcare data is very vast, hence there is huge scope to explore and establish inferences
Technical Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 28, 2016
I have a passion for data-driven projects hence I like to challenge myself with similar areas where I can use my analytical capabilities
too much politics
Laboratory Manager, FPE dept. (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 29, 2016
Staff is considered 2nd class employees.Tenured faculty can act without repudiation. If you have a good supervisor it can be a good place to work.
Great learning workplace with great people
Summer undergraduate research fellowships (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 25, 2016
Professors and PhD students were always there to guide and help students to develop new skills. What I learned most from this job was problem solving. I received professional advice everyday.
Pros
Fun people and flexible schedules
Cons
Not a lot of industrial mindset
Hard Working University with Tremendous Opportunities
Peer Learning Assistant for Biomedical Engineering (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 14, 2016
WPI is a very project based university, which requires its students to work with other in almost every class. The professors are also extremely helpful and ensure students are pushing themselves to the best of their abilities.

Working at WPI over the summer was a very supportive atmosphere with both professors and graduate students guiding my project towards success. They also gave me a lot of responsibilities, which allowed me to become a lot more confident in lab settings.
Pros
Flexible Hours
Cons
Awkward hours: i.e 6-12 hour days depending
Wonderful place to work, with wonderful co-workers
Administrative Assistant VI (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 12, 2016
WPI is a very diverse place to work. The faculty, staff and students are wonderful and very helpful. Everyday brings something new to learn. I have learned a great deal about the workflow of an educational institution and all it's moving parts behind the scenes.
Cons
In Administration, limited room for growth.