Worcester Public Schools Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJuly 17, 2017
Learned to manage a classroom and gained valuable life skills dealing with youth. Day by day substitute was a great job while I finished my last semester.
A rewarding career!
teacher (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJune 25, 2017
Worcester Public Schools is a wonderful place to work! Competitive wages and above all, very rewarding! I would suggest working in the school system to anyone who has a passion to make a difference!
Great
School Adjustment Counselor Internship (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 21, 2017
WPS is a great place to work. As an intern, I received great supports from educational personnel. I learned a lot from the staff and students. I enjoyed working with the diverse population at the WPS.
A necessary but difficult job
Substitute Teacher (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 7, 2017
Very difficult position as one needs to be adaptable and thick skinned to deal with various types of students. Too much disrespect on part of students and lack of discipline.
Pros
Routine
Cons
Beter compensation
Can be stressfull but also very rewarding
SCHOOL SOCIAL WORKER / COUNSELOR /ART THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 7, 2017
I work in an inner city elementary school. I work with families and children that are from low socioeconimic status. They have many challenges and difficulities in their lives that can impede their ability to be ready to learn. I enjoy working with these families and to help connect them to opportunites and services in the community. Most of the children are curious, joyful, and extremely resilient. It is very rewarding to see them grow and change as they progress through the years.

I also love working with the Teachers and Administrators as we collaborate to make the culture of the school safe, engaging, and full of opportunities to learn. Collaborating with my colleagues from the Child Study Department and the staff within my school is professionally very satifying.

The hardest part of my job is it is often fast-paced and stressful and I have to prioritize what I do first. It is not like this everyday but I have to monitor my level f stress and take measures to keep my mind and body healthy.
Pros
Colleagues, School Staff, actions, children and their families
Cons
fast-paced and stressful at times Low resources
love interacting with kids
Cafeteria Assistant (Current Employee) –  Pocomoke City, MDNovember 25, 2016
fun exciting co-workers are great enjoy serving lunch and hearing stories from kids learned to listen to kids more. love getting up for work every morning can't wait to see what the kids do or say next.
Pros
interact with kids grades k-3
Awesome Staff, Students and School
ABA Therapist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 17, 2016
kindergarten-2nd grade sub separate
Always start the day with bus duty, getting your students off the bus and to the classroom, starting their morning routine with either breakfast or play. I learned how to respond to students needs to the best of my ability and work with a BCBA to provide for the student. I learned how to take various types of data and run teaching trials and incidental teaching programs. The management of the classroom worked on an hour-by hour schedule as per classroom teacher and it worked real well. First half of the day was with mostly the same students and switched to different students in the afternoon. My co-workers in my specific classroom were phenomenal. We were able to communicate with body language and basically without words when we needed help or anything at all. The hardest part of the job was being understaffed in a classroom where mostly 1:1's were needed but not specified in an IEP leaving each staff with 2 students and then 3 when lunch breaks came around or staff absences. The most enjoyable part of the job was working with my staff and students and seeing real progress and goals happen. It is an amazing feeling to be apart of the process where students who once struggled now strive and hit their IEP goals.
Engaging and motivating
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 16, 2016
Stimulating work environment with high job satisfaction. Engaging and motivating performance standards. Strong emphasis on communication and collaboration skills.
Enjoy going every day, learning how to create new ways of making food.
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 17, 2016
i like working with my co-workers. Always learning something new,In the morning I prepare breakfast for the high school, while they other children eat in there rooms, next we make sure all salads and sanwiches are made for the day, prepareing salads, soups, fruit and veggies and what ever else we need to do before first lunch at 10:15.
We make sure all tables are washed and ready for the students. We have 6 lunches.After every lunch we clean and help prepare for next day lunch and clean the stations and tables. At the end of the day we know all children have been fed and our job is finished for the day.
Pros
Getting to know the children
Cons
Heavy lifting
Kindergarten teacher assisant
Assistant kindergarten teacher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 1, 2016
I worked 18 years as a kindergarten assisant. The schedule is good if you have children but being a kindergarten assisant for 18 years and have been switched to eight different schools all over the city which is hard when you have children especially because you can get switched three weeks into the school year . Also as a assisant you have lots of duties every day like lunch recess and have to attend specials with child's , the pay is maxed out at 24 grand very low for all you do . Being a kindergarten assisant you can be switched three weeks into the school year so would recommend kindergarten.
Pros
Good schedule if you have children
Cons
Salary switching schools in kindergarten aide poistion
stressful job with little or no preparation by teachers for substitutes
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 8, 2015
Substitute teaching proved to be a very stressful position in the Worcester Public Schools. The behavior of the students is atrocious, and precludes the ability to teach anything. There is usually very little preparation done by the regular teacher for the substitute.
Pros
provides an income (of sorts)
Cons
student behavior
Ups and Downs of School Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 27, 2015
Working alone initially is unnerving - but realizing that there is so much teaching to be done (case management) really gets the heart of a true nurse. I loved connecting families struggling through the system with different care needs. Management was good, though we lacked enough guidance (only due to number of management/field nurse ratio). There was also a lot of opposition from the school committee and superintendent.
Pros
Great co-workers, schedule.
Cons
Time management difficult if you cannot structure your day. Although, occasionally things are beyond ones control.
Great program
Teaching Assistant for Head Start (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 21, 2015
This was a great place to work. The kids are wonderful. Most of the staff was wonderful.
The hardest part of this job was working with different teachers. Most of them were great! A few were not, this makes for a long year. Great training.
Pros
A lot of learning experiences.
Cons
Not a full year
great experience with studnts and staff
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Worcester Public Schools for nineteen years. It was fun working with the many students within that time period.
Teaching is truly awesome!
Social Studies Teacher High School (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2015
Teaching is truly awesome! As a teaching professional, you have an opportunity to challenge and motivate students to achieve. Not only do you see immediate results; but also, you see long term results with your students. Overall, a truly awesome work experience.
Pros
The challenge of teaching.
Cons
The challenge of teaching.
decent school system
Teacher, Grade (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 15, 2015
administration does not care about anything but how good the numbers look. Most will be fine with stabbing you in the back and passing blame. Do not expect any support from them. Your fellow teachers though are great and supportive
Potential
ESL Teacher, Literacy Tutor, Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 23, 2014
Worked with elementary students on their math and english language arts skills. I learned to be patient with kids. Management tried to help who they could. My co-workers were team players. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children.
Pros
Teaching kids who were eager to learn.
Cons
Not reaching every one.
I learned a great deal with little or no experience and no increase in pay
Parapro/ Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 1, 2014
Working with the Worcester Public Schools was very rewarding. I went from a 8-12 special educations students classroom setting to an office position which required contact with parents, going to their homes all kinds of weather and documenting visits. The position of acting secretary gave me office skills that I didn't have previously. Working in a fast paced environment, I learned confidentiality, keeping records accurate and filed, and how to successfully deal with sometimes irate people, monitoring teachers and students daily and keeping attendance. The hardest part of the position was trying to keep everyone happy. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was making a difference in a lot of lives and it was keeping me active. I would rather be busy than have a lot of down time
Pros
I was getting experience in outlets other than the classroom, was in contact with adults from many walks of life, learning office skills, feeling useful/building self esteem
Cons
No additional compensation for the positions I was assigned to
It was a great schools system to work for.
Teacher of History (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2014
A pleasure to work with great co-workers and a super student body.
Pros
Great staff and co-workers
Cons
Classes were to large and rooms were too small.
A great place for personal and professional growth
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 24, 2014
In the 6 years I was employed with Worcester Public Schools, I had the opportunity to work for a nationally recognized and award winning CFO. Management on all levels knew how to bring out your very best without intimidation or fear. Many of the daily tasks at hand were very challenging, due the complexity of detail needed in the final result, and the antiquated database the city used. Prior to working there, I had very little use and basic knowledge of Microsoft programs. After spending several months grinding out labor intensive work, I was able to use Microsoft programs to manipulate that data provided from their financial system to provide accurate data in a time efficient manor. The most difficult part of the job like many others in the Public Sector/Government was the staff that had no interest in learning new methods and processes to be more productive and efficient. I was also very fortunate to be on a team surrounded by very bright individuals who were very forthcoming with help and ideas to increase transparency and productivity.