Worcester Public Schools Employee Reviews in United States

Engaging and motivating
Occupational Therapist (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 16, 2016
Stimulating work environment with high job satisfaction. Engaging and motivating performance standards. Strong emphasis on communication and collaboration skills.
Enjoy going every day, learning how to create new ways of making food.
Cafeteria Worker (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 17, 2016
i like working with my co-workers. Always learning something new,In the morning I prepare breakfast for the high school, while they other children eat in there rooms, next we make sure all salads and sanwiches are made for the day, prepareing salads, soups, fruit and veggies and what ever else we need to do before first lunch at 10:15.
We make sure all tables are washed and ready for the students. We have 6 lunches.After every lunch we clean and help prepare for next day lunch and clean the stations and tables. At the end of the day we know all children have been fed and our job is finished for the day.
Pros
Getting to know the children
Cons
Heavy lifting
Kindergarten teacher assisant
Assistant kindergarten teacher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMay 1, 2016
I worked 18 years as a kindergarten assisant. The schedule is good if you have children but being a kindergarten assisant for 18 years and have been switched to eight different schools all over the city which is hard when you have children especially because you can get switched three weeks into the school year . Also as a assisant you have lots of duties every day like lunch recess and have to attend specials with child's , the pay is maxed out at 24 grand very low for all you do . Being a kindergarten assisant you can be switched three weeks into the school year so would recommend kindergarten.
Pros
Good schedule if you have children
Cons
Salary switching schools in kindergarten aide poistion
stressful job with little or no preparation by teachers for substitutes
Substitute Teacher K-12 (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 8, 2015
Substitute teaching proved to be a very stressful position in the Worcester Public Schools. The behavior of the students is atrocious, and precludes the ability to teach anything. There is usually very little preparation done by the regular teacher for the substitute.
Pros
provides an income (of sorts)
Cons
student behavior
Ups and Downs of School Nursing
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 27, 2015
Working alone initially is unnerving - but realizing that there is so much teaching to be done (case management) really gets the heart of a true nurse. I loved connecting families struggling through the system with different care needs. Management was good, though we lacked enough guidance (only due to number of management/field nurse ratio). There was also a lot of opposition from the school committee and superintendent.
Pros
Great co-workers, schedule.
Cons
Time management difficult if you cannot structure your day. Although, occasionally things are beyond ones control.
Great program
Teaching Assistant for Head Start (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAMarch 21, 2015
This was a great place to work. The kids are wonderful. Most of the staff was wonderful.
The hardest part of this job was working with different teachers. Most of them were great! A few were not, this makes for a long year. Great training.
Pros
a lot of learning experiences.
Cons
not a full year
great experience with studnts and staff
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Worcester Public Schools for nineteen years. It was fun working with the many students within that time period.
Teaching is truly awesome!
Social Studies Teacher High School (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2015
Teaching is truly awesome! As a teaching professional, you have an opportunity to challenge and motivate students to achieve. Not only do you see immediate results; but also, you see long term results with your students. Overall, a truly awesome work experience.
Pros
the challenge of teaching.
Cons
the challenge of teaching.
decent school system
Teacher, Grade (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAJanuary 15, 2015
administration does not care about anything but how good the numbers look. Most will be fine with stabbing you in the back and passing blame. Do not expect any support from them. Your fellow teachers though are great and supportive
Potential
ESL Teacher, Literacy Tutor, Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 23, 2014
Worked with elementary students on their math and english language arts skills. I learned to be patient with kids. Management tried to help who they could. My co-workers were team players. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children.
Pros
teaching kids who were eager to learn.
Cons
not reaching every one.

Want to know more about Worcester Public Schools?

Ask a question
I learned a great deal with little or no experience and no increase in pay
Parapro/ Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MANovember 1, 2014
Working with the Worcester Public Schools was very rewarding. I went from a 8-12 special educations students classroom setting to an office position which required contact with parents, going to their homes all kinds of weather and documenting visits. The position of acting secretary gave me office skills that I didn't have previously. Working in a fast paced environment, I learned confidentiality, keeping records accurate and filed, and how to successfully deal with sometimes irate people, monitoring teachers and students daily and keeping attendance. The hardest part of the position was trying to keep everyone happy. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was making a difference in a lot of lives and it was keeping me active. I would rather be busy than have a lot of down time
Pros
i was getting experience in outlets other than the classroom, was in contact with adults from many walks of life, learning office skills, feeling useful/building self esteem
Cons
no additional compensation for the positions i was assigned to
It was a great schools system to work for.
Teacher of History (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2014
A pleasure to work with great co-workers and a super student body.
Pros
great staff and co-workers
Cons
classes were to large and rooms were too small.
A great place for personal and professional growth
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 24, 2014
In the 6 years I was employed with Worcester Public Schools, I had the opportunity to work for a nationally recognized and award winning CFO. Management on all levels knew how to bring out your very best without intimidation or fear. Many of the daily tasks at hand were very challenging, due the complexity of detail needed in the final result, and the antiquated database the city used. Prior to working there, I had very little use and basic knowledge of Microsoft programs. After spending several months grinding out labor intensive work, I was able to use Microsoft programs to manipulate that data provided from their financial system to provide accurate data in a time efficient manor. The most difficult part of the job like many others in the Public Sector/Government was the staff that had no interest in learning new methods and processes to be more productive and efficient. I was also very fortunate to be on a team surrounded by very bright individuals who were very forthcoming with help and ideas to increase transparency and productivity.
If you are ok with having summers off I recommend it.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 26, 2013
It was fun to work with many different age groups. The hardest part of the job was to be consistent with the student's IEP's between the classroom teacher, myself and the team chairperson.
Pros
early days, school vacations off, summers off
Cons
pay is low for the expectations as an instructional assistant
Great opportunity
substitute teacher graphics (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 21, 2013
Great bunch of people. An incredible feeling to pass on your knowledge to our next generation
Pleasant work environment
medical assistant (Former Employee) –  South High SchoolMay 14, 2013
In this position I assisted the RN nursing staff in the nursing office.Duties included taking vital signs, signing in students, and clerical duties such as record maintinence and filing and some word processing, In addition to these duties I also maanswered phones and called parents when necessary.
Pros
stress-free work environment, and enjoyed working with the students on a daily basis
Cons
not enough clinical procedures to perform
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MAFebruary 20, 2013
A typical day at work include me supervising children at work or play to provide an opportunity for the teacher to work with small groups or individuals. Assisting the classroom teacher with clerical work and by reviewing, correcting and reinforcing lessons with individual and small groups of students. And assisting in preparation and inventory of instructional material and the setting-up and maintenance of various learning aids, and equipment. The most enjoyable part of my joy is watching the children grow mentally, taking what they learned outside of the school environment.
Professional environment geared to guiding preschoolers to be prepared for kindergarten.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee) –  Worcester, MADecember 11, 2012
Upon entering my classroom, I prepare myself for teaching in small group increments in a center-based setting. I have learned how to teach to different styles of learning, such as visual, auditory,etc.. Head Start has a management plan in action that I enforce with the help of my co-teacher. As a team, we rely on each other for support of curriculum support, behavior management, coping mechanisms, as well as team guidance. The hardest part of the job is paperwork because it is an abundant amount of work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the children.They are very enthusiastic and ready to please their teachers.
Pros
paid vacations
Cons
expensive healthcare
I learned with medical record, office work, vital signs,and first aid.
Medical Assisting (Former Employee) –  525 Chandler St Worcester, MA 01602September 10, 2012
*I was 8:30 am and I worked in record of the students for example:
*phisical,medication, vacines, and personal information.Other day my job was office , or help in first aid and obtain vital signs. I was my launch time 12: at 1:30 pm. I continued with my work and my day finished at 2:30 pm
* I learned with medical record, office work, vital signs.
*nothing
*All my job was enjoyable for me.
Pros
nothing
Cons
nothing
Central Administration for large public school system
Principal Clerk/Stenographer (Former Employee) –  Worcester, MAAugust 10, 2012
This was my favorite job ever. It was Civil Service and I took tests to advance my standings in the system as an administrative assistant. The hours were great as were the benefits.

I learned new computer programs and how local, state and federal grants were written and awarded. The hardest part was passing the shorthand test. The most enjoyable part were the employees and their dedication to the educational system.
Pros
could walk to work.
Cons
husband was promoted and we moved to new jersey.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Worcester Public Schools. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9