Worcester Public Schools

Worcester Public Schools Employee Reviews

great experience with studnts and staff
Elementary Teacher (Former Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 17, 2015
I enjoyed working for Worcester Public Schools for nineteen years. It was fun working with the many students within that time period.
Teaching is truly awesome!
Social Studies Teacher High School (Current Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 16, 2015
Pros: the challenge of teaching.
Cons: the challenge of teaching.
Teaching is truly awesome! As a teaching professional, you have an opportunity to challenge and motivate students to achieve. Not only do you see immediate results; but also, you see long term results with your students. Overall, a truly awesome work experience.
decent school system
Teacher, Grade (Former Employee), Worcester, MAJanuary 15, 2015
administration does not care about anything but how good the numbers look. Most will be fine with stabbing you in the back and passing blame. Do not expect any support from them. Your fellow teachers though are great and supportive
Potential
ESL Teacher, Literacy Tutor, Math Tutor (Former Employee), Worcester, MADecember 23, 2014
Pros: teaching kids who were eager to learn.
Cons: not reaching every one.
Worked with elementary students on their math and english language arts skills. I learned to be patient with kids. Management tried to help who they could. My co-workers were team players. The hardest part of the job was saying good-bye. The most enjoyable part of the job was helping children.
I learned a great deal with little or no experience and no increase in pay
Parapro/ Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MANovember 1, 2014
Pros: i was getting experience in outlets other than the classroom, was in contact with adults from many walks of life, learning office skills, feeling useful/building self esteem
Cons: no additional compensation for the positions i was assigned to
Working with the Worcester Public Schools was very rewarding. I went from a 8-12 special educations students classroom setting to an office position which required contact with parents, going to their homes all kinds of weather and documenting visits. The position of acting secretary gave me office skills that I didn't have previously. Working in a fast paced environment, I learned confidentiality, keeping records accurate and filed, and how to successfully deal with sometimes irate people, monitoring teachers and students daily and keeping attendance. The hardest part of the position was trying to keep everyone happy. The most enjoyable part was knowing that I was making a difference in a lot of lives and it was keeping me active. I would rather be busy than have a lot of down time
It was a great schools system to work for.
Teacher of History (Former Employee), Worcester, MAOctober 20, 2014
Pros: great staff and co-workers
Cons: classes were to large and rooms were too small.
A pleasure to work with great co-workers and a super student body.
A great place for personal and professional growth
Senior Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 24, 2014
In the 6 years I was employed with Worcester Public Schools, I had the opportunity to work for a nationally recognized and award winning CFO. Management on all levels knew how to bring out your very best without intimidation or fear. Many of the daily tasks at hand were very challenging, due the complexity of detail needed in the final result, and the antiquated database the city used. Prior to working there, I had very little use and basic knowledge of Microsoft programs. After spending several months grinding out labor intensive work, I was able to use Microsoft programs to manipulate that data provided from their financial system to provide accurate data in a time efficient manor. The most difficult part of the job like many others in the Public Sector/Government was the staff that had no interest in learning new methods and processes to be more productive and efficient. I was also very fortunate to be on a team surrounded by very bright individuals who were very forthcoming with help and ideas to increase transparency and productivity.
If you are ok with having summers off I recommend it.
Instructional Assistant (Former Employee), Worcester, MADecember 26, 2013
Pros: early days, school vacations off, summers off
Cons: pay is low for the expectations as an instructional assistant
It was fun to work with many different age groups. The hardest part of the job was to be consistent with the student's IEP's between the classroom teacher, myself and the team chairperson.
Great opportunity
substitute teacher graphics (Current Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 21, 2013
Great bunch of people. An incredible feeling to pass on your knowledge to our next generation
Pleasant work environment
medical assistant (Former Employee), South High SchoolMay 14, 2013
Pros: stress-free work environment, and enjoyed working with the students on a daily basis
Cons: not enough clinical procedures to perform
In this position I assisted the RN nursing staff in the nursing office.Duties included taking vital signs, signing in students, and clerical duties such as record maintinence and filing and some word processing, In addition to these duties I also maanswered phones and called parents when necessary.
Special Education Instructional Assistant (Current Employee), Worcester, MAFebruary 20, 2013
A typical day at work include me supervising children at work or play to provide an opportunity for the teacher to work with small groups or individuals. Assisting the classroom teacher with clerical work and by reviewing, correcting and reinforcing lessons with individual and small groups of students. And assisting in preparation and inventory of instructional material and the setting-up and maintenance of various learning aids, and equipment. The most enjoyable part of my joy is watching the children grow mentally, taking what they learned outside of the school environment.
Professional environment geared to guiding preschoolers to be prepared for kindergarten.
Teacher Assistant (Current Employee), Worcester, MADecember 11, 2012
Pros: paid vacations
Cons: expensive healthcare
Upon entering my classroom, I prepare myself for teaching in small group increments in a center-based setting. I have learned how to teach to different styles of learning, such as visual, auditory,etc.. Head Start has a management plan in action that I enforce with the help of my co-teacher. As a team, we rely on each other for support of curriculum support, behavior management, coping mechanisms, as well as team guidance. The hardest part of the job is paperwork because it is an abundant amount of work. The most enjoyable part of my job is the children.They are very enthusiastic and ready to please their teachers.
I learned with medical record, office work, vital signs,and first aid.
Medical Assisting (Former Employee), 525 Chandler St Worcester, MA 01602September 10, 2012
Pros: nothing
Cons: nothing
*I was 8:30 am and I worked in record of the students for example:
*phisical,medication, vacines, and personal information.Other day my job was office , or help in first aid and obtain vital signs. I was my launch time 12: at 1:30 pm. I continued with my work and my day finished at 2:30 pm
* I learned with medical record, office work, vital signs.
*nothing
*All my job was enjoyable for me.
Central Administration for large public school system
Principal Clerk/Stenographer (Former Employee), Worcester, MAAugust 10, 2012
Pros: could walk to work.
Cons: husband was promoted and we moved to new jersey.
This was my favorite job ever. It was Civil Service and I took tests to advance my standings in the system as an administrative assistant. The hours were great as were the benefits.

I learned new computer programs and how local, state and federal grants were written and awarded. The hardest part was passing the shorthand test. The most enjoyable part were the employees and their dedication to the educational system.
Temporary Income
Day by Day Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Worcester, MAMarch 14, 2012
Pros: help children with their curriculum
Cons: no benefits
It was a good experience to interact with kids and help them learn and also be a role model
A difficult culture to integrate with, if you are from another state.
Building Substitute Teacher (Former Employee), Worcester Vocational Technical High SchoolFebruary 27, 2012
I was RIF'D from Worcester Public Schools in June 2003, and am somewhat biased in my review. The District has made a lot of progress, however, has had a problem with diversity of staff in the past. This may have changed.