Work Opportunities Unlimited Employee Reviews

Unique company with a fun & passionate atmosphere!
Recruitment Team (Current Employee) –  RemoteDecember 6, 2016
I have worked with Work Opportunities Unlimited (WOU) for about a 1 1/2 years now. The most enjoyable part of my job is being surrounded by genuinely friendly, intelligent and good–hearted people. Management is transparent and open to new ideas (which is difficult to find) and co-workers are dedicated to the organization's mission.
Pros
Friendly co-workers, transparent management and fantastic work/life flexibility!
Cons
Working remotely can be a bit lonely at times, but the benefits greatly outweigh this.
Rewarding
Career Resource Specialist (Current Employee) –  Concord, NHDecember 12, 2016
Support individuals with Developmental disabilities Spend your day taking people into the community for Employment based work experience. Some days you are on a job site others you are on a volunteer site. .
Pros
relationships that are rewarding
Cons
pay
Would never recommend this company
crs (Former Employee) –  New HampshireJuly 20, 2016
Favoritism, must fit in with the culture, or you get nick picked on for everything. Management and supervisors have no clue of how to manage, talk to or, treat people-Co workers are phony.
Cons
alot
Goal Oriented
Career Resource Specialist/Business Developer (Current Employee) –  Nashua, NHApril 21, 2016
Flexible schedule I have learned more about administration. I have learned to manage my time. Co workers are great team players. The hardest part is keeping up with the paper work. The most enjoyable part of the job is watching individuals grow.
Pros
PTO
Cons
Short Breaks
Job Coach
Career Resource Specialist, Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Manchester, NHFebruary 28, 2016
Drive all over the city, picking up young adults from home. Sit in a public library all day. Take clients to job interviews, coach them while they are on the job, but mostly filling out resumes.
Pros
Contributes $45.00 to cell phone bill. Mileage reimbursement.
Cons
No breaks., Will not provide full time hours, Unrealistic expectations, Use your own car for everything.
Temp Agency
Administrative Assistant-Temp (Former Employee) –  Center Harbor, NHSeptember 18, 2015
I have been placed on a couple of temporary assignments within the same company.
Management was wonderful
My co-workers were very nice and helpful
I learned their basic customer software
Cons
Not enough assignments
Work Opportunities Unlimited is a support system for people with dissabilities.
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MdJanuary 10, 2013
Enjoyed working independently. Able to work scheduled hours based on clients needs. I learned that each individual has a right to work regardless of dissability and have a meaningful life. Working with regional managers and staff was pleasant and supportive. The hardest part about the job was dissapointing the clients when opportunities were not available. The clients looked forward to meeting with their case workers to complete job applications and establish interviews with companies in the work areas.
Pros
making a difference in someone's life.
Cons
not being able to support clients in the jobs once achieved.
Fun Job for the right person
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  New HampshireMarch 2, 2013
This job was very demanding but very rewarding. You work independantly quite often and this requires strict discipline. You work directly with clients of all referral sources; and you are responsible for assisting in maintaining your referral base and also for all of your job development calls which go into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference in someone's life. The worst part was the upper management, the way the HR runs is completely backwards.
Pros
great mission statement
Cons
poor hr deparment
Excellent Service to the Community it serves
Job Developer  (Former Employee) –  Southern NHApril 30, 2013
My typical day at WOU would start at 8 AM and end at 4 PM. I would engage with a variety of individuals seeking employment. I might meet with other members of their support team, or with just the individual. We might work on employment goals, or meet with employers.

My coworkers were very dedicated to this field. They always offer a caring attitude.

Management was knowledgable and helpful. training was invaluable.

The hardest part of this job was being creative and always ready to move on an opportunity. the best part of this job was the reward of helping another individual make a positive life change.
Pros
Rewarding work
Cons
Tough on the emotions
Stay away especially Lowell
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lowell, MAFebruary 10, 2014
High turnover, difficult clients, cold calls, poor management, company is not what they seem, even though their mission is noble. No scheduled breaks or meals, required to use your own computer and car. Lots of driving. Gas is reimbursed through mileage. Unreasonable expectations for utilization of time. I could never get everything done in the time allotted and no over time allowed. Expectations were sometimes hinted at but not overtly stated by program director. Objectives stated one day could change the next based on the whims of the program director. Intentionally kept 0.5 hours below "full time" (which I was told was 35 hours and I was only allowed 34.5) so I could not get medical insurance.
Clients are the only reason I stayed
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Southern New HampshireDecember 5, 2013
Management specifically the Southern NH office was unorganized, unprofessional and blatantly rude. Focus was on collecting money and not on the clients.

The clients were so much more capable than the management portrayed them.

Clients were the one and only reason I stuck it out working there.
Great place to work!
CRS (Current Employee) –  Southern NHMarch 13, 2014
Have worked for Work Opportunities for many years. The schedule is flexible, the people are great, and the job is tough but rewarding! I love the community based environment....being in the community with my clients is definitely a plus for my clients.
productive and Fun
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Wheaton MDMay 22, 2013
• Assist clients in finding and maintaining meaningful employment consistent with their goals.
• Follow internal protocols for delivering services, including intake processes, development of individual plans, youth development plans, EPA processes, discrepancy analysis, business development procedures, and client outcomes.
• Work closely with families and referral sources of clients to provide communication about each client's progress in achieving his/her work goals.
• Maintain working relationships with staff of referral agencies, employers, home care providers, and families through scheduled, on-going contacts.
• Maintain on-going contact with current businesses to ensure quality services are being delivered, and to develop additional business opportunities.
• Prepares and maintains written and online case files, records, reports, and forms accurately and completely, and keep them up-to-date at all times.
• Perform case follow-up, and perform other administrative tasks as required and on time.
Had lots of fun, most days.
Case Worker/Job Coach (Former Employee) –  Portland, MEMay 9, 2012
Small group of enthusiastic, dedicated employees focused on helping people find fulfilling jobs.
Pros
people
Cons
sometimes frustrating, difficulty producing successes for some clients.
productive and fun work place
Career Resource Specialist / Employment Specialist (Former Employee) –  Lanham, MDFebruary 20, 2014
Great environment to jump start a career in human services. crs have the opportunities to work in conjunction with other community
awesome workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee) –  West Palm BeachApril 12, 2012
 Filing, prepare new client files, answer phone calls, copying, faxing, mailing, prepare marketing material, etc.
A great place to work!
Director/Sales Manager (Current Employee) –  Lowell, MAOctober 30, 2015
Work Opportunities Unlimited is a company that works well with team members who are flexible, love change, can work autonomously and as part of team, are goal oriented, have a strong ability to multitask and want to make a difference in the world of work. Team members must be solutions based, be able to overcome various daily challenges that come with the focus to support people to obtain and maintain employment.

There is room for advancement and if you are doing a good job; then you will always be busy. It's a good busy; boredom/being stagnant shouldn't exist if you are successful here.

You will work hard and be rewarded by the impact you have supporting individuals with barriers to be gainfully employed.

You will be a change agent; teaching employers about how to best work with individuals (youth and adults) with various challenges/barriers to work (e.g. no work history, poor work behaviors/history, mental or physical barriers, etc) as well as teaching the job seekers how to successfully obtain and retain employment.

If you like the opportunity to work in a community based environment, enjoy teaching/training, can create and manage your own schedule, meet program expectations and enjoy the flexibility to create new opportunities in the workplace everyday; then Work Opportunities is a great place to work.

Management is very supportive and is able to work with a wide variety of team members in 8 states; there is a focus on professional development and growth if a team member wants that.

Be ready to think on your feet, be an excellent communicator and work
  more... with various funding sources (eg Vocational Rehab, Transitional Services, High Schools, youth agencies) and be rewarded with the ability to create a flexible work schedule and the ability to take time off to balance work and life.

Turnover happens and as a hiring director who interviewed many many candidates over my 10 years here, I encourage candidates to fully understand the job and its requirements. It's not for everyone. That's ok. WOU provides a lot of training for multimodal learners (on the job training and computer based training). WOU strives to see their team members be successful and retention is a focus company wide.

I had a wonderful experience working for this family owned company for over 10 years. It was a great work environment and I felt totally supported and cared about as a employee and a person by the management and administrative teams. I was able to make a difference in the world and that was important to me. I was given clear direction of what was expected of me and then I was able to implement that plan with the support of my team; utilizing our ideas and creativity. I really liked that freedom to lead a team using my skills, talents and abilities.

Thank to everyone I have worked with and for.....every single person I have crossed paths with; whether it was a youth, a parent, a teacher, an executive director for another agency, a corporate human resource team for a major retail company, a Career Resource Specialist, or a store manager at a local pizza place; everyone brought me some lesson to learn. I have been "well schooled!"

I am grateful for this company and highly recommend working here.
Pros
flexible time off, flexible schedule for many of the positions, reimbursement for exercising, senior management is very approachable and open to ideas and feedback, creative and pioneering organization, excellent Portal system, utilization of a sales team to compliment skills of team members
Cons
turnover (which is fairly common in this field of work) can be challenging, this job/work isn't for everyone
Not worth the trouble
CRS (Former Employee) –  Prince georgesSeptember 17, 2015
If you are a person who doesn't like working in a office setting, likes working with a multitude of people in a variety of settings then this company is mostly for you. This is what they will not tell you during your interview:

There is no requesting off... typically because you set your own schedule they see fit that you work your life around your clients.

Because you are only working on a small team of about 7-8 people sometimes they will overbook themselves and you will need to cover for someone. Here's the catch if you already have somewhere important to go to you will have to cancel because the director has volunteered you to cover that person client.

You can't just call out of work especially if you have clients that are considered DDA for that day, it is your responsibility to find someone who can cover your client... ** it doesn't matter if you have to admit yourself to the emergency room**.

When you are extended an offer they will give you an offer of part-time although you have applied for full-time. If you ask why you will be given a bogus answer as to the company wanting to see how you are able to perform and from there it will determine if you are eligible for a full-time position. Do NOT Believe this as you can sometimes clock up to 35 hours depending on if you have a busy schedule that week.

The only standard benefits you will receive with the company for part-time is that you are able to obtain bonuses for placing your clients, you can opt-in their medical program at a HIGH COST. Federal holidays are recognized and as a part-timer you are only
  more... given 5 hours of holiday pay; of course you are compensated for your miles driven at .29Cents a mile and reimbursed 25.00 for your cell phone bill.

Be prepared to use your own personal laptop for clients to work on in order to fill out applications as well as giving out your personal phone number to your clients to keep in contact with you. Additionally it will be your responsibility to ensure your clients make it to their job interview on time so driving your client in your car to their job interview is required.

Tons of paperwork to be filled out for the clients you have seen in person to the ones you have visited at their work site plus uploads for specific clients and additional information.

My time working for this company was pretty awful, the lack of communication from the director was pretty evident as when she saw fit to return your phone calls is when you will hear back from her. The hours you will work per day will not add up on your check because everything that you do are subjected to billable hours for your clients so if you have had the experience working at a lawyers office you know exactly what that means. Pretty much you will get 5-7 clients at a time varying in levels of disabilities each, depending on which disability agency clients are coming from, will allow a certain amount of billable hours you can do for the client. Often if the client is over on billable hours you no longer can do any work for them until documentation is provided from the agency giving the client more hours until then you have lost out on hours.
Pros
Bonus for placing clients
Cons
no real hours, high mileage on your car, using your personal laptop and cell phone, no benefits Loads of paperwork
Just an avarage support service facility for individuals with varing barriers...
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee) –  Salem, NHDecember 26, 2014
My typical day began at 7 AM and ended at 4 PM and I put an average of 20 - 70 miles on my personal vehicle each day. I would use my personal equipment to provide support services, my vehicle transported individuals around the community then I engaged in supporting various clients at employment/volunteer sites or other employment exploration activities in the community.(i.e. go to the library with my caseload and use my personal laptop to support clients using online applications or if appropriate have clients independently use public computers to fill out job applications or conduct life skills coaching, quiet reading time,word searches or money math problems, tour places of business and observe the jobs they perform, collect/fill out paper applications at libraries/cafeterias.) Somewhere between supporting clients and transporting them around the community, along with filling out reports and the manually filled out field notes(that kicked in my carpel tunnel in a bad way),I maintained a constant report with caseworker, families and staff.

I learned Individuals had more potential than what employes were allow to coach or articulate to potential employers.

Working with regional managers and upper management was usually like walking on eggshells and very tedious.

Co-workers and administrative staff were always supportive and very helpful.

The hardest part about the job was: Using your own car, phone, laptop with heavy wear and tear and minimal reimbursement; Meeting the ever demanding expectations; Constant online training; Growing reports with increasing deadlines;
  more... Researching employment opportunities by pretending your looking for work to get full info on their: hours/wage offered, required experience, full contact name then maintain a quota of researched opportunities each week while preforming on site support to clients; Unreasonable caseload additions without notice each time an employee quit; Being required to use earned PTO vs.being paid the state 2hr minimum if inclement weather shuts down the office and all activities then are expected to notify each client and facility you were supporting on said snow day essentially on your own time even if it takes up to an hour to receive complete conformation each time it snows; Being discouraged from taking advantage of any travel deals that require planning family vacations without prior authorization or use any earned PTO other than for emergencies; Finally, disappointing the clients when their favorite "job coach" or activities were no longer available.

The clients looking forward to meeting with their "Job Coach" to complete job applications or volunteer in the community was the only enjoyable part of my job there.
Pros
Working independently from home and the "paid lunch" was a plus.
Cons
Using your own car, phone, laptop, heavy wear and tear, using earned PTO for inclement weather, discouraged from taking anytime off, strict expectations

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Work Opportunities Unlimited. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8