Work Opportunities Unlimited

Work Opportunities Unlimited Employer Reviews

Just an avarage support service facility for individuals with varing barriers...
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Salem, NHDecember 26, 2014
Pros: working independently from home and the "paid lunch" was a plus.
Cons: using your own car, phone, laptop, heavy wear and tear, using earned pto for inclement weather, discouraged from taking anytime off, strict expectations
My typical day began at 7 AM and ended at 4 PM and I put an average of 20 - 70 miles on my personal vehicle each day. I would use my personal equipment to provide support services, my vehicle transported individuals around the community then I engaged in supporting various clients at employment/volunteer sites or other employment exploration activities in the community.(i.e. go to the library with my caseload and use my personal laptop to support clients using online applications or if appropriate have clients independently use public computers to fill out job applications or conduct life skills coaching, quiet reading time,word searches or money math problems, tour places of business and observe the jobs they perform, collect/fill out paper applications at libraries/cafeterias.) Somewhere between supporting clients and transporting them around the community, along with filling out reports and the manually filled out field notes(that kicked in my carpel tunnel in a bad way),I maintained a constant report with caseworker, families and staff.

I learned Individuals had more potential than what employes were allow to coach or articulate to potential employers.

Working with regional managers and upper management was usually like walking on eggshells and very tedious.

Co-workers and administrative staff were always supportive and very helpful.

The hardest part about the job was: Using your own car, phone, laptop with heavy wear and tear and minimal reimbursement; Meeting the ever demanding expectations; Constant online training; Growing reports with increasing deadlines; Researching – more... employment opportunities by pretending your looking for work to get full info on their: hours/wage offered, required experience, full contact name then maintain a quota of researched opportunities each week while preforming on site support to clients; Unreasonable caseload additions without notice each time an employee quit; Being required to use earned PTO vs.being paid the state 2hr minimum if inclement weather shuts down the office and all activities then are expected to notify each client and facility you were supporting on said snow day essentially on your own time even if it takes up to an hour to receive complete conformation each time it snows; Being discouraged from taking advantage of any travel deals that require planning family vacations without prior authorization or use any earned PTO other than for emergencies; Finally, disappointing the clients when their favorite "job coach" or activities were no longer available.

The clients looking forward to meeting with their "Job Coach" to complete job applications or volunteer in the community was the only enjoyable part of my job there. – less
Great place to work!
CRS (Current Employee), Southern NHMarch 13, 2014
Have worked for Work Opportunities for many years. The schedule is flexible, the people are great, and the job is tough but rewarding! I love the community based environment....being in the community with my clients is definitely a plus for my clients.
productive and fun work place
Career Resource Specialist / Employment Specialist (Former Employee), Lanham, MDFebruary 20, 2014
Great environment to jump start a career in human services. crs have the opportunities to work in conjunction with other community
Stay away especially Lowell
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Lowell, MAFebruary 10, 2014
High turnover, difficult clients, cold calls, poor management, company is not what they seem, even though their mission is noble. No scheduled breaks or meals, required to use your own computer and car. Lots of driving. Gas is reimbursed through mileage. Unreasonable expectations for utilization of time. I could never get everything done in the time allotted and no over time allowed. Expectations were sometimes hinted at but not overtly stated by program director. Objectives stated one day could change the next based on the whims of the program director. Intentionally kept 0.5 hours below "full time" (which I was told was 35 hours and I was only allowed 34.5) so I could not get medical insurance.
Clients are the only reason I stayed
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Southern New HampshireDecember 5, 2013
Management specifically the Southern NH office was unorganized, unprofessional and blatantly rude. Focus was on collecting money and not on the clients.

The clients were so much more capable than the management portrayed them.

Clients were the one and only reason I stuck it out working there.
productive and Fun
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Wheaton MDMay 22, 2013
• Assist clients in finding and maintaining meaningful employment consistent with their goals.
• Follow internal protocols for delivering services, including intake processes, development of individual plans, youth development plans, EPA processes, discrepancy analysis, business development procedures, and client outcomes.
• Work closely with families and referral sources of clients to provide communication about each client's progress in achieving his/her work goals.
• Maintain working relationships with staff of referral agencies, employers, home care providers, and families through scheduled, on-going contacts.
• Maintain on-going contact with current businesses to ensure quality services are being delivered, and to develop additional business opportunities.
• Prepares and maintains written and online case files, records, reports, and forms accurately and completely, and keep them up-to-date at all times.
• Perform case follow-up, and perform other administrative tasks as required and on time.
Excellent Service to the Community it serves
Job Developer (Former Employee), Southern NHApril 30, 2013
Pros: rewarding work
Cons: tough on the emotions
My typical day at WOU would start at 8 AM and end at 4 PM. I would engage with a variety of individuals seeking employment. I might meet with other members of their support team, or with just the individual. We might work on employment goals, or meet with employers.

My coworkers were very dedicated to this field. They always offer a caring attitude.

Management was knowledgable and helpful. training was invaluable.

The hardest part of this job was being creative and always ready to move on an opportunity. the best part of this job was the reward of helping another individual make a positive life change.
Fun Job for the right person
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), New HampshireMarch 2, 2013
Pros: great mission statement
Cons: poor hr deparment
This job was very demanding but very rewarding. You work independantly quite often and this requires strict discipline. You work directly with clients of all referral sources; and you are responsible for assisting in maintaining your referral base and also for all of your job development calls which go into a computer. The most enjoyable part of my job was making a difference in someone's life. The worst part was the upper management, the way the HR runs is completely backwards.
Work Opportunities Unlimited is a support system for people with dissabilities.
Career Resource Specialist (Former Employee), Baltimore, MdJanuary 10, 2013
Pros: making a difference in someone's life.
Cons: not being able to support clients in the jobs once achieved.
Enjoyed working independently. Able to work scheduled hours based on clients needs. I learned that each individual has a right to work regardless of dissability and have a meaningful life. Working with regional managers and staff was pleasant and supportive. The hardest part about the job was dissapointing the clients when opportunities were not available. The clients looked forward to meeting with their case workers to complete job applications and establish interviews with companies in the work areas.
Had lots of fun, most days.
Case Worker/Job Coach (Former Employee), Portland, MEMay 9, 2012
Pros: people
Cons: sometimes frustrating, difficulty producing successes for some clients.
Small group of enthusiastic, dedicated employees focused on helping people find fulfilling jobs.
awesome workplace
Clerical Assistant (Former Employee), West Palm BeachApril 12, 2012
 Filing, prepare new client files, answer phone calls, copying, faxing, mailing, prepare marketing material, etc.

About Work Opportunities Unlimited

Founded in 1982, Work Opportunities Unlimited is a community-based employment service provider specializing in placing job seekers – Read more