Working America

Working America Employer Reviews

Travel, learning about America and her politics.
Trainer, fundraiser, signature gatherer. (Former Employee), Portland, ORApril 29, 2014
Pros: lots of group support.
Cons: pay raises are slow to come by and the quotas can be tricky at times.
An excellent place to begin a political career. You can learn why people feel about the issues as they do, in any part of the country.
It is hard to stay on message, but most rewarding if you stick to it.
Whether you are canvassing on Capital Hill in Seattle, or attending a convention in Chicago, this is how you pay it forward in service to your country.
You – more... need to sign up to sign down Americans here for a better tomorrow. – less
Very productive and meaningful work. Great team to work with, supportive and friendly.
Community Organizer (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2014
I sit in on meetings for a few hours in the afternoon, then canvass a neighborhood for five hours each night. When I canvass I talk about the issue we are facing and I fundraise for the issue at each door. My Director canvasses and organizes with me about once a week, a great leader who leads by example. I truly enjoy the team I work with, but the hardest – more... part of the job is keeping a friendly and smiling face in the cold winter when I am canvassing for a few hours. – less
Productive and rewarding Position
OFFICE MANAGER (Former Employee), Atlantic City, NJFebruary 5, 2014
Productive and rewarding Position where I learned the ins and outs of recruiting and election reporting.
hard work/good pay
Canvasser (Former Employee), Cincinnati, OHAugust 26, 2013
Pros: lots of walking
Cons: lots of walking
Went out daily to target neighborhoods to talk with listed household members about their preferences in different political races and certain legislation.
Productive and fun working environment
Canvasser (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCMay 28, 2013
From this job I learned a lot about politics and people. It showed me how certain policies effect the citizens first hand. Overall I enjoyed working for this company and gained a great deal from it.
Good work for a good cause
Political Canvasser (Former Employee), Greensboro, NCJanuary 7, 2013
Pros: payed transportation time, good pay, working for a good cause
Cons: lack of job security
You get payed a decent amount to fo good work for a good cause. The management wasn't perfect, but they'd usually work with you on issues. They promote really great values within and outside of the organization. The biggest drawback was the uncertainty of whether or not you'd have a job the next week.
Canvasser (Former Employee), Boston, MAJanuary 7, 2013
On any typical day we would meet as a team and discuss what was expected from the day, then we would get in vans and head to lunch. After lunch we would head to turf and knock on doors.
fun place
Field Manager (Former Employee), Henderson, NVJune 18, 2012
Pros: purposeful
Cons: seasonal
fun place in vegas. lot of mixture of working demographics.. from 18 - 60.. wide range. a very purposeful job. good site director.. made it easy on us all.. loved the thursday night karaoke... van raps were great.
well organized non-profit group advocating for workers rights
Canvass Organizer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 4, 2012
Pros: fun, energetic, well-organized, relavant, well-funded, supportive, well-managed
Cons: lower pay than other similar orgs, needs more supervision in the field
I worked for the Minneapolis, MN, office of Working America during the 2006 state of Minnesota election season. We canvassed the suburbs and towns surrounding Minneapolis with palm pilots prompting us to gather information from registered voters on topics like the war in Iraq, median union wages, and the candidates up for election in the state of Minnesota.

I – more... learned that I loved being on my feet and having a job that involves physical activity. I learned salesmanship techniques and personal communication methods and techniques to make querying people I had no previous contact with easier. I learned more about the government of Minnesota, the election process, worker's unions, and about events that were shaping the political landscape of Minnesota at that time.

My co-workers and managers were mostly young liberal college students who were enthusiastic about activism and naturally outgoing. We all came to the office happy to see each other and eager to coach each other.

Learning to avoid taking rejection personally from the voters we were querying was difficult. Walking into some of the neighborhoods we were canvassing after dark was difficult as well.

Getting to see some of the great towns in Minnesota, like Stillwater, MN, was wonderful. Talking to the voters who were receptive to our canvassing was great fun as well. – less
Good Company
Canvasser (Former Employee), Henderson, NVMay 21, 2012
Pros: good teamwork, being outside
Cons: bad weather when it rained
This was an enjoyable, albeit short stint of employment. A typical day at work dealt with everyone meeting for lunch in the beginning of work... and going over our gameplan of how we were going to convince Las Vegans to vote for our Senator's re-election. From this job I learned that the early bird gets the worm, and management dind't look kindly on – more... tardiness. I strove to always be punctual and was popular amongst my co-workers, who were good people for the most part. The hardest part of the job was the super long walks - for we had to canvass roughly 3 miles in over 6 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we did it alone; so that was a peaceful experience. – less