Working America Employee Reviews

It was generally great, with some Risks attached. I liked most things about it, but it was dangerous at times. I really felt like we gave our all.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHOctober 2, 2017
It was one of the best jobs I was ever going to have in my life, the organizers, kept saying to us! And it was so true! I have never had a more fun, more interesting job I WAS PAID FOR, in my entire existence. As a child, some similar activities, maybe like Field Day, which was a fun sporting event at the end of a school year, for an entire day, were basically quite similar, with all kinds of obstacles, and hurdles...But...this was...different. We were actually kinda, you could say, paid to exercise and fraternize, with the community!!! Nothing like it on earth! Only in America I would say.

But it was like, also, like a local Peace Corps, it was, a lot of talking to people, at, you know, kind of a grass-roots level, and just, sussing out their opinions, their beliefs, and trying to melt those down, from what everybody in our gang or "group, gathered," and translate those into statistics. For, what, or for whom, you may ask? We were often asked, what benefit this would have, or what group we were supporting. To this day, I still believe that it was a completely (I have no way of knowing about the inner workings, but I TRUST it was an honest and completely neutral organization!!!) impartial group that was just dedicated, well, it was more Marxist than anything, it wasn't impartial it was working on behalf of workers' salaries, everywhere, so, in theory, if you "work" then Working America is "for" you. But it has a political agenda, that everyone might not be on board with, or gung ho about.

It raised a lot of ire, let me tell you. Talking radical revolutionary politics
  more... with people around one of the corniest elections in American history, man, it really raised a lot of anger and old, unearthed a lot of latent anger. Maybe that was a good thing. We did it with good intentions in mind, we allowed people to voice their opinions through a safe venue, us. I felt like we were risking our safety and comfort to be able to reach into the hearts and minds of others, who may have been too scared or cowardly, to share their ideas or opinions, with anyone else. Or such people may have been loners, with no one to listen to them, nor, care for, their opinions. We provoked a lot of people. But, I can say that I had fun doing it! I learned and socialized so much. It was worth it. :)  less
Pros
We all helped each other out. We didn't have free lunches, but it was GREAT in terms of learning about ethics, and generally, socializing, which I believe to be a morale-boosting activity, for people, generally.
Cons
Only cons, were, not enough reliable bathrooms for our use, and, risky weather and terrain.
Good job
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  NationwideAugust 2, 2017
I enjoyed working there. It let me learn marketing and leadership skills. Very easy to work for. I loved my position here and wish I could've continued it.
great work environment but difficult to keep up with fundraaising goals
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJune 27, 2017
I absolutely loved working for Working America. The managers are very easy going and helpful. You learn a lot about what's happening in politics and how it's affecting communities. If you're good at what you do and work hard i can't see a reason as to why you won't get promoted at some point. The only downfall i had with the organization was keeping up with their fundraising goals.
Pros
very positive and helpful enviroment
Cons
it was difficult to keep up with the goals of fundraising
For those who care
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Seattle, WAMay 17, 2017
This is a fun job for those who have passion for it.
Majority of your work day is spent outside walking through turf and knocking on doors.
you will work in rain
Productive and fun work place
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  60 blvd of the allies, Pittsburgh, PA.February 22, 2017
We would come into work and discuss politics....then gather our things literature that we pass out to the people....then we head out in trucks to our locationsite and canvass the neighborhood and talk to the people about politics and who they were voting for.....
Pros
Great group of people, the money was great
Cons
Didn't like the times we worked and some of the places we worked at night..
Excellent Work Space
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2017
I had fun doing this job, everyone was very helpful. I had to meet new each and everyday. The best part was exercising without even knowing you was doing it. Everyday you learned something new. The best part for this job was just feeling like you was making a change, by talking to people and informing each one about politics.
Great pay for minimal stress
Political Canvassing (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL and St. Louis, MODecember 23, 2016
The overall experience was a pleasant one. The employees are not micro-managed which is always a bonus. It is a very physical position (waking about 5 miles daily). I worked in Orlando for a few weeks before completing the assignment in St. Louis. The pay was great and coworkers became one big family.
Pros
Great pay and opportunities to travel
Cons
Poorly managed especially considering it is union.
Fun working environment at a grassroots level
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 17, 2016
Expect to work hard and be on your feet for hours at a time, but you will also get ample time to rest. Good people, fun environment, and get in touch with issues that concern the average person.
Pros
Fun and like-minded people
Cons
Sometimes the doors you knock on have people that don't want anything to do with you.
Up Beat, Fun self-motivated work place
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MONovember 28, 2016
Wonderful environment with great people working for a great purpose to make sure that everyone not only has the knowledge about candidates in the election, but to also let them know how important it is to vote.
Fun but scary
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 27, 2016
In in this job I got to go around to different towns and explore but it is scary when you are walking by yourself at eight at night while it si dark out in an unknown town. But the people are actually really nice.
My experience.
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 21, 2016
We had a party after the candidate we endorsed won the election. All in all It was a very enjoyable experience. My boss was very professional and laid back. along with all of of co-workers. Working here will always be some pf the greatest moments of my life.
Pros
Great hours and awesome colleagues
Great working as a team member and feel part of it as well.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 24, 2016
Walking neighbor hoods constantly, talking to people and have a conversation, i learned more about being charismatic, managers were great and understanding. Co-workers were diversified and all kinds of different backgrounds. talking to people who doesn't talk with people, having great opportunities with extra shifts as well as travel.
Pros
Afternoon shift
Cons
Tough quotas
Amazing.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
By far the best job I've ever had. It's amazing. You would go into work at 2:00, in the afternoon! Sit through a meeting that discusses how well we're performing as a group. Is it a "serious" meeting? Absolutely not. I've played "Jeopardy" on a Friday. Then, you'll pack up and go out to "turf". Every day you will have a different piece of turf in different area around the city. From there, you have hours to walk door to door on your turf talking to everyone in the community about politics, especially working class politics. You will also have to get contributions from these people. You are on a set qouta every week, which is 120$. The people you work with are some of the best, most down to earth people I have ever met in my entire life. It's an AMAZING job.
Pros
Fun, great people, good learning experience
Cons
On your feet a lot
Scam Artist coming to your door
Workingamerica.org (Former Employee) –  portland OrSeptember 9, 2015
All they care about is getting money from the doors they knock on. Not if you were safe after spending 5 hours in a ghotto neighborhood knocking on doors all hours of the night, but how much cash did you get?
Non profit but all they care of at the end of the day is how much money the canvassers scammed out of people.
When I interview here thay painted a much different picture of the job. If I would have been told from the the start you just knock on doors and scam people out of every dime they have I would have never gave it a second thought. But they tell you its for the people and getting issues on the ballot
Dont waist your time the first day they have you work for free. How can these people raise the minimum wage when they cant even pay employees right
Pros
Working for free
Cons
All day no bathroom breaks
It could be a good place to work
Not sure (Former Employee) –  Houston,texasAugust 8, 2015
This could be a good place to work but seems they don't take care of their employees in the way of no breaks no cold water was even given to the employees. This is something I believe in and would have loved to work there but walking I the hot hot sun all day with on bathrooms and no cold water and you can't even stop is not good! I do believe in what they stand for thou. First take care of your employees before we care for others as well.
Pros
Good for the American people
Cons
No breaks at all
Productive and fun
CANVASSER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Active and productive work place. Very diverse envoirment to work in. Also very education and informational everyday. Shows leadership and how to international minded. Serious on politics. A typical day at work will be coming grabbing a cup of coffee greeting coworkers sharing valuable news and wishing each other good luck. I learned how the government works. Their wasn't really a hard part working with Working America.
Pros
Free networking
Cons
Nice lunch breaks
Good company with great benefits
Trainer (Former Employee) –  Warren, OHJune 8, 2015
Working America is a good company with great benefits. I learned a lot about social issues that affect American citizens
Fun job with fun people
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2014
I enjoyed everyone I worked with, we were like a little family. We always pushed each other to work harder and would congratulate a fellow employee as a group when they excelled.
Pros
fun group lunches
Cons
short breaks, no bathrooms
Very Insightful
Union Representative (Former Employee) –  Toledo, OHMay 13, 2014
I love the fact that I was educating individuals in the community on information they were not aware of.
Pros
Educating others
Cons
seasonal work
Travel, learning about America and her politics.
Trainer, fundraiser, signature gatherer. (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 29, 2014
An excellent place to begin a political career. You can learn why people feel about the issues as they do, in any part of the country.
It is hard to stay on message, but most rewarding if you stick to it.
Whether you are canvassing on Capital Hill in Seattle, or attending a convention in Chicago, this is how you pay it forward in service to your country.
You need to sign up to sign down Americans here for a better tomorrow.
Pros
Lots of group support.
Cons
Pay raises are slow to come by and the quotas can be tricky at times.