Working America Employee Reviews

Great pay for minimal stress
Political Canvassing (Former Employee) –  Orlando, FL and St. Louis, MODecember 23, 2016
The overall experience was a pleasant one. The employees are not micro-managed which is always a bonus. It is a very physical position (waking about 5 miles daily). I worked in Orlando for a few weeks before completing the assignment in St. Louis. The pay was great and coworkers became one big family.
Pros
Great pay and opportunities to travel
Cons
Poorly managed especially considering it is union.
terrible
Activities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cleveland, OHNovember 16, 2016
I feel like they can do a little more to help people advance. It was terrible experience a woman attacked me on the job an u guys fired me. Then she stalks my co-worker on her way home she was waiting in the bank parking lot to fight after I was fired. Her daughter and son tried to help. they did nothing to protect us or help the situation and she is playing on my phone.
Pros
lunch, nice people
Cons
crazy people, drug addicts, and no management
Fun working environment at a grassroots level
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MODecember 17, 2016
Expect to work hard and be on your feet for hours at a time, but you will also get ample time to rest. Good people, fun environment, and get in touch with issues that concern the average person.
Pros
Fun and like-minded people
Cons
Sometimes the doors you knock on have people that don't want anything to do with you.
Excellent Work Space
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Durham, NCJanuary 5, 2017
I had fun doing this job, everyone was very helpful. I had to meet new each and everyday. The best part was exercising without even knowing you was doing it. Everyday you learned something new. The best part for this job was just feeling like you was making a change, by talking to people and informing each one about politics.
Up Beat, Fun self-motivated work place
Field Service Technician (Former Employee) –  Bridgeton, MONovember 28, 2016
Wonderful environment with great people working for a great purpose to make sure that everyone not only has the knowledge about candidates in the election, but to also let them know how important it is to vote.
Great working as a team member and feel part of it as well.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKFebruary 24, 2016
Walking neighbor hoods constantly, talking to people and have a conversation, i learned more about being charismatic, managers were great and understanding. Co-workers were diversified and all kinds of different backgrounds. talking to people who doesn't talk with people, having great opportunities with extra shifts as well as travel.
Pros
Afternoon shift
Cons
Tough quotas
My experience.
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Anchorage, AKMarch 21, 2016
We had a party after the candidate we endorsed won the election. All in all It was a very enjoyable experience. My boss was very professional and laid back. along with all of of co-workers. Working here will always be some pf the greatest moments of my life.
Pros
Great hours and awesome colleagues
Fun but scary
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  New Brunswick, NJApril 27, 2016
In in this job I got to go around to different towns and explore but it is scary when you are walking by yourself at eight at night while it si dark out in an unknown town. But the people are actually really nice.
Amazing.
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHNovember 11, 2015
By far the best job I've ever had. It's amazing. You would go into work at 2:00, in the afternoon! Sit through a meeting that discusses how well we're performing as a group. Is it a "serious" meeting? Absolutely not. I've played "Jeopardy" on a Friday. Then, you'll pack up and go out to "turf". Every day you will have a different piece of turf in different area around the city. From there, you have hours to walk door to door on your turf talking to everyone in the community about politics, especially working class politics. You will also have to get contributions from these people. You are on a set qouta every week, which is 120$. The people you work with are some of the best, most down to earth people I have ever met in my entire life. It's an AMAZING job.
Pros
Fun, great people, good learning experience
Cons
On your feet a lot
Scam Artist coming to your door
Workingamerica.org (Former Employee) –  portland OrSeptember 9, 2015
All they care about is getting money from the doors they knock on. Not if you were safe after spending 5 hours in a ghotto neighborhood knocking on doors all hours of the night, but how much cash did you get?
Non profit but all they care of at the end of the day is how much money the canvassers scammed out of people.
When I interview here thay painted a much different picture of the job. If I would have been told from the the start you just knock on doors and scam people out of every dime they have I would have never gave it a second thought. But they tell you its for the people and getting issues on the ballot
Dont waist your time the first day they have you work for free. How can these people raise the minimum wage when they cant even pay employees right
Pros
Working for free
Cons
All day no bathroom breaks

Want to know more about Working America?

Ask a question
It could be a good place to work
Not sure (Former Employee) –  Houston,texasAugust 8, 2015
This could be a good place to work but seems they don't take care of their employees in the way of no breaks no cold water was even given to the employees. This is something I believe in and would have loved to work there but walking I the hot hot sun all day with on bathrooms and no cold water and you can't even stop is not good! I do believe in what they stand for thou. First take care of your employees before we care for others as well.
Pros
Good for the American people
Cons
No breaks at all
Productive and fun
CANVASSER (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 4, 2015
Active and productive work place. Very diverse envoirment to work in. Also very education and informational everyday. Shows leadership and how to international minded. Serious on politics. A typical day at work will be coming grabbing a cup of coffee greeting coworkers sharing valuable news and wishing each other good luck. I learned how the government works. Their wasn't really a hard part working with Working America.
Pros
Free networking
Cons
Nice lunch breaks
Travel, learning about America and her politics.
Trainer, fundraiser, signature gatherer. (Former Employee) –  Portland, ORApril 29, 2014
An excellent place to begin a political career. You can learn why people feel about the issues as they do, in any part of the country.
It is hard to stay on message, but most rewarding if you stick to it.
Whether you are canvassing on Capital Hill in Seattle, or attending a convention in Chicago, this is how you pay it forward in service to your country.
You need to sign up to sign down Americans here for a better tomorrow.
Pros
Lots of group support.
Cons
Pay raises are slow to come by and the quotas can be tricky at times.
Very productive and meaningful work. Great team to work with, supportive and friendly.
Community Organizer (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 15, 2014
I sit in on meetings for a few hours in the afternoon, then canvass a neighborhood for five hours each night. When I canvass I talk about the issue we are facing and I fundraise for the issue at each door. My Director canvasses and organizes with me about once a week, a great leader who leads by example. I truly enjoy the team I work with, but the hardest part of the job is keeping a friendly and smiling face in the cold winter when I am canvassing for a few hours.
Good Company
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVMay 21, 2012
This was an enjoyable, albeit short stint of employment. A typical day at work dealt with everyone meeting for lunch in the beginning of work... and going over our gameplan of how we were going to convince Las Vegans to vote for our Senator's re-election. From this job I learned that the early bird gets the worm, and management dind't look kindly on tardiness. I strove to always be punctual and was popular amongst my co-workers, who were good people for the most part. The hardest part of the job was the super long walks - for we had to canvass roughly 3 miles in over 6 hours a day. The most enjoyable part of the job is that we did it alone; so that was a peaceful experience.
Pros
good teamwork, being outside
Cons
bad weather when it rained
Good work for a good cause
Political Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCJanuary 7, 2013
You get payed a decent amount to fo good work for a good cause. The management wasn't perfect, but they'd usually work with you on issues. They promote really great values within and outside of the organization. The biggest drawback was the uncertainty of whether or not you'd have a job the next week.
Pros
payed transportation time, good pay, working for a good cause
Cons
lack of job security
Fun job with fun people
Data Collector (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 11, 2014
I enjoyed everyone I worked with, we were like a little family. We always pushed each other to work harder and would congratulate a fellow employee as a group when they excelled.
Pros
fun group lunches
Cons
short breaks, no bathrooms
Productive and fun working environment
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NCMay 28, 2013
From this job I learned a lot about politics and people. It showed me how certain policies effect the citizens first hand. Overall I enjoyed working for this company and gained a great deal from it.
fun place
Field Manager (Former Employee) –  Henderson, NVJune 18, 2012
fun place in vegas. lot of mixture of working demographics.. from 18 - 60.. wide range. a very purposeful job. good site director.. made it easy on us all.. loved the thursday night karaoke... van raps were great.
Pros
purposeful
Cons
seasonal
hard work/good pay
Canvasser (Former Employee) –  Cincinnati, OHAugust 26, 2013
Went out daily to target neighborhoods to talk with listed household members about their preferences in different political races and certain legislation.
Pros
lots of walking
Cons
lots of walking

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Working America. Our community is ready to answer.

4.4