World Bank Employee Reviews in United States

A very culturally diverse environment with great challenges and opportunities
IT Officer - IT Service Management (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 27, 2015
The World Bank was a great place to work and engage with culturally diverse staff and contractors. The organization provided huge learning opportunities, challenging projects to work on and manage. There is a strong camaraderie among colleagues with the willingness to teach and learn. However, there are too many meetings daily. We once had a meeting to get ideas on reducing the number of meetings.
Overall it is a fun place to work and it has its own culture different than other private sector or federal government organizations. Working at the World Bank and IFC has been a tremendous reward of self accomplishment.
Pros
Great benefits and salary, unique opportunities to learn and travel
Cons
Technology changes happen much slower than outside the World Bank
Great people to learn from.
Short Term Consultant (Former Employee) –  PakistanJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day for the project involved a lot of travelling within different cities of Pakistan.

At this project I learnt how to work during travelling which was a major shortcoming in me before. I learnt how to manage and deal different private and public sector stakeholders dealing with the education sector of Pakistan. The interviews revolved around Senior and Mid Senior level officers, and I learnt how to talk swiftly with them getting all the information that I ever wanted.

Co workers were mostly from good education backgrounds, typically ranging from Harvard, Columbia and LUMS. So i got a first hand experience talking to them about their views about Pakistani education system, and what system is followed elsewhere.
Pros
Salary was good
Cons
Lot of travelling
Support professional growth
Team Assistant (Former Employee) –  CairoOctober 8, 2015
One of the best distinguished places to work at!
The management will make sure you are on ongoing training for the job and more. Many teams and extremely many projects worldwide but the interface is always one and united across all regions.
They taught me a lot about event planning, different processing systems..etc. The quick pace work environment makes you eager to learn more.
I meet different people from everywhere in the world. Its one of the very few places that Economy and Politics is directly connected which is an eye opening experience for how matters work in the real world.
Pros
Get to travel and meet a lot of people.
Cons
Worldwide timing for offices requires a lot of coordination.
Very productive and fun environment.
Program Assistant/Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2016
Culture and diversity in the work place.
I was looking forward going to work all the time.
I had the opportunity to improve myself in various work that did not only benefit the Bank, but had a positive impact on me as well.
Pros
Free lunch many, free snacks. Opportunity for growth
Cons
Great health care
productive and family oriented workplace
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
i enjoyed my work very much at the World Bank. It was a very cordial, friendly and international environment. Worked with local and international organizations. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping third world countries to fight poverty and health issues. My colleagues were friendly and we got along and helped each other when needed. It was like a family. I learned a lot in this international organization. They sent me abroad to learn another language, strengthened my IT and organizational skills. We would have retreats twice a year in a different country. We would visit our projects in those countries to see first hand how our work at HQ in Washington DC was impacting the people there. It was an amazing experience.
Pros
travel, training, benefits
Cons
long commute for me
Very Diverse work environment
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJuly 20, 2016
The work environment is truly separated as most employees are contractual or are on an open end contract. Although I find the different cultures very interesting and pleasurable, it seems that most work relationship are quite divided.

The challenges of my work are very welcoming as this makes my work enjoyable.

Management can be lacking in support for its contractual staff in making them permanent when well deserved. Promises are mostly broken in this aspect.

I have many experiences and tools that I have added to my resume and if it were not for my employment at the WBG I would not have had these opportunities.

My coworkers are great team players. We get along wonderfully and respectfully.

The hardest part of working at the WBG is working for so many years and still I have not been offered a staff position (due to budgeting, politics etc.)
Pros
Free training, exposure, travel
Cons
no benefits, no holidays off, no snow days off
Sr. Administrative Assistant
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
1.Review and respond to correspondences
2. Circulate pertinent information for department
3.Follow-up with background documents for meetings with management
4. Edit and format documents
5. Communicate with other colleagues for any urgent request from external clients.
6. Hardest part of the job is having to deal with time difference with our international clients.
7. Most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel and meet some colleagues and clients that I usually communicate with by email.
Very exciting place to be in
QA/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
Its a multinational organization with talent from all over the world. A typical day at world bank that I start my working day with prioritizing from previous day. Participate daily stand up meeting where I usually explain the project milestone. Maintaining daily clear communication with client and technical team, resolve any issue or conflict that may arise regarding to requirements and project milestone. Review and analysis the documents trying to find gap,error, rewrite QA and BA deliverable and always answering promptly in regards to project,
Pros
Great team, subsidize cafe, enjoyed multi culture enviornments
Cons
sometimes process are not define accordingly
Great Organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
Wonderful organization. Staff is fantastic and excited to work there.

Hard to junior level workers to get into the organization and difficult advancement.
Pros
Work / life balance
Staff and management where very helpful
Medical staff assistant/ biller & coder (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2016
Working at the World bank was experience that came true for me. Everyone was very nice and very helpful. I was given a chance to experience and understand the United states and all that we have accomplished and all we have succeeded in doing as a nation.
Pros
the many diffirent cultures and nationalities
Cons
had to travel by bus and train
Working with UN family is working with your own family - you work for the humanity.
Transaction and Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2016
I worked for UNDP as Secretary and then promoted to Senior Secretary in two years. I worked with the Program Manager and 2 Vet. doctors and 1 infrastructure engineer. The program was to work for reconstruction and rehabilitation project of the war torn country Afghanistan. see my resume.

Pros
Celebrations on staff promotion and happy hours
Cons
Short breaks
Excellence Institution to work with
Program Assistant, IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington DC and in the Country Office PakistanApril 12, 2016
The World Bank is an excellent institution. It is demand driven and result oriented. Most of the time you need to meet the deadline sacrificing your personal time. Although, the atmosphere is work life balance. You learn new things everything. Training opportunities are available to learn new technologies.
Pros
Celebration of spot awards
Cons
General Health Services, Gym and libraries
Excellent company
Senior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 19, 2016
Excellent company to work for.

Employee first. Contractors and Employees treated similarly.

Excellent grown opportunity. No Micro Management.
Very good environment for my consultancy assignments
Consultant-World Bank Technical Assistance (Former Employee) –  Juba, South SudanJanuary 4, 2016
My consultancy involves on the job training on audits of staff of the Auditor General. On some assignments I have conducted quality reviews of audits conducted by the staff of the Auditor General. I also have given technical assistance in reviewing draft Auditor General reports before they were tabled in Parliament

Working in a multicultural environment sharpens listening skills, negotiating outcomes and the need to always appreciate others' perspectives.

Generally independent and self directed but interactions are collegial and very helpful.

People I meet in the environment all very helpful and willing to share constructive ideas.

Trying to impart technical skills to people without the requisite basic practical background is a challenge.
The most enjoyable part is the success achieved so far in training a core group of competent auditors through on the job training.
Pros
Cons
Security issues in South Sudan
Productive, fun, international
Junior Professional Associate (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCOctober 19, 2014
The job culture, compensation and work/life balance is unsurpassable. You get a lot of exposure, learn about policy or any topic of interest, and they actively provided access to all sorts of cool events, symposiums, conferences. They also include a budget for professional development in employees' package. There is also a lot of collaboration amongst coworkers and other departments/organizations, and a lot of international politics and negotiations. You also get to meet high-level people from all over the world, and make friends with coworkers from all over the world.

In terms of job security and advancement, it is average. They have lately been using these short-term contracts that makes it hard to feel secure or advance. Even for people who are staff, they seem to be insecure about advancing, which in turn affects quality of management also. However, this is a 15000 employee organization so it is hard to generalize and it is situation specific.
Great Job
Curriculum Writer/Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2016
Some of the best, nicest, caring, hardest working people I have ever worked with. The community of students is fantastic, and the teachers all care deeply about education and pedagogy. The neighborhood is fantastic, and the English department is incredible.
One of the most excellent multicultural and professional environments to work in. If you love people, besides your job, from any language and culture
Information Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 12, 2015
If you have Compassion for the Poor and you think you can make a difference in the World, no matter in what field you work, as well as you enjoy working among other cultures, then the World Bank is the place for you.
The new CIO has definitely made a big difference and brought the Bank to the upfront in Technology, which over the last several years, has been consistently changing at a fast pace.
Managers, like everywhere else, can be excellent, mediocre and poor, but regardless of that, if you are a good worker and love your job, the word will get around and you will always make your manager look good. People will bring you presents from other parts of the world out of the goodness of their own hearts.
Working in a Team where people are proactive, with very good ideas, is one of the most enjoyable parts of the job along with seeing your colleagues with whom you have made good friends over the years.
Keep a careful balance between work and your family life.
Do not neglect your health and join the gym. It will make a difference and boost your stamina to continue the rest of the day.
Pros
Many options to grow professionally through training modules, and learn about what the Bank is doing to alleviate proverty in the World.
Cons
It can be very political
My department has been great at listening to new ideas.
Project Manager - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
Experiences vary from department to department. My current project teams have been supportive and open-minded, which has helped me give my best.
Excellent place to work.
IT Local Area Networking (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2016
My bosses were exceptional, nice, considerate and excellent bedside manners.

Great company. Benefits. Experience exceptional.
Pros
Wine for lunch, long hour lunch with boss
Cons
work weekends
Productive and fun workplace.
Help Desk Analyst Tier 1 (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCSeptember 21, 2015
Excellent job with benefits. Very congenial atmosphere. No night work. Many educational opportunities.

I loved this company because I was able to move up quickly in positions. Within a 3 months I was in a higher position making more money. Most enjoyable part of this job was ALL the clients. I came to know them all individually and became really good friends with many.
Pros
No micro managing
Cons
Non

Ask a question about working or interviewing at World Bank. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3