World Bank Employee Reviews in United States

Sr. Administrative Assistant
Senior Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 17, 2016
1.Review and respond to correspondences
2. Circulate pertinent information for department
3.Follow-up with background documents for meetings with management
4. Edit and format documents
5. Communicate with other colleagues for any urgent request from external clients.
6. Hardest part of the job is having to deal with time difference with our international clients.
7. Most enjoyable part of the job is the opportunity to travel and meet some colleagues and clients that I usually communicate with by email.
productive and family oriented workplace
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
i enjoyed my work very much at the World Bank. It was a very cordial, friendly and international environment. Worked with local and international organizations. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping third world countries to fight poverty and health issues. My colleagues were friendly and we got along and helped each other when needed. It was like a family. I learned a lot in this international organization. They sent me abroad to learn another language, strengthened my IT and organizational skills. We would have retreats twice a year in a different country. We would visit our projects in those countries to see first hand how our work at HQ in Washington DC was impacting the people there. It was an amazing experience.
Pros
travel, training, benefits
Cons
long commute for me
Working with UN family is working with your own family - you work for the humanity.
Transaction and Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 12, 2016
I worked for UNDP as Secretary and then promoted to Senior Secretary in two years. I worked with the Program Manager and 2 Vet. doctors and 1 infrastructure engineer. The program was to work for reconstruction and rehabilitation project of the war torn country Afghanistan. see my resume.

Pros
Celebrations on staff promotion and happy hours
Cons
Short breaks
Excellence Institution to work with
Program Assistant, IT Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Washington DC and in the Country Office PakistanApril 12, 2016
The World Bank is an excellent institution. It is demand driven and result oriented. Most of the time you need to meet the deadline sacrificing your personal time. Although, the atmosphere is work life balance. You learn new things everything. Training opportunities are available to learn new technologies.
Pros
Celebration of spot awards
Cons
General Health Services, Gym and libraries
Very Diverse work environment
Program Analyst (Current Employee) –  Washington/Metro, DCJuly 20, 2016
The work environment is truly separated as most employees are contractual or are on an open end contract. Although I find the different cultures very interesting and pleasurable, it seems that most work relationship are quite divided.

The challenges of my work are very welcoming as this makes my work enjoyable.

Management can be lacking in support for its contractual staff in making them permanent when well deserved. Promises are mostly broken in this aspect.

I have many experiences and tools that I have added to my resume and if it were not for my employment at the WBG I would not have had these opportunities.

My coworkers are great team players. We get along wonderfully and respectfully.

The hardest part of working at the WBG is working for so many years and still I have not been offered a staff position (due to budgeting, politics etc.)
Pros
Free training, exposure, travel
Cons
no benefits, no holidays off, no snow days off
Very productive and fun environment.
Program Assistant/Transaction Specialist (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 18, 2016
Culture and diversity in the work place.
I was looking forward going to work all the time.
I had the opportunity to improve myself in various work that did not only benefit the Bank, but had a positive impact on me as well.
Pros
Free lunch many, free snacks. Opportunity for growth
Cons
Great health care
Great Job
Curriculum Writer/Designer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYJune 2, 2016
Some of the best, nicest, caring, hardest working people I have ever worked with. The community of students is fantastic, and the teachers all care deeply about education and pedagogy. The neighborhood is fantastic, and the English department is incredible.
Great people to learn from.
Short Term Consultant (Former Employee) –  PakistanJanuary 19, 2016
A typical day for the project involved a lot of travelling within different cities of Pakistan.

At this project I learnt how to work during travelling which was a major shortcoming in me before. I learnt how to manage and deal different private and public sector stakeholders dealing with the education sector of Pakistan. The interviews revolved around Senior and Mid Senior level officers, and I learnt how to talk swiftly with them getting all the information that I ever wanted.

Co workers were mostly from good education backgrounds, typically ranging from Harvard, Columbia and LUMS. So i got a first hand experience talking to them about their views about Pakistani education system, and what system is followed elsewhere.
Pros
Salary was good
Cons
Lot of travelling
Staff and management where very helpful
Medical staff assistant/ biller & coder (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCJanuary 11, 2016
Working at the World bank was experience that came true for me. Everyone was very nice and very helpful. I was given a chance to experience and understand the United states and all that we have accomplished and all we have succeeded in doing as a nation.
Pros
the many diffirent cultures and nationalities
Cons
had to travel by bus and train
My department has been great at listening to new ideas.
Project Manager - Independent Contractor (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJune 4, 2016
Experiences vary from department to department. My current project teams have been supportive and open-minded, which has helped me give my best.
Multicultural environment
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 23, 2016
I only worked at the Bank for several months since it was a short-term position. But even within that short time, I enjoyed meeting highly educated people from all over the world.
Pros
friendly, multicultural, great cafeteria
Cons
outdated technology, no team building
Fine management for a big international organization
Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 12, 2016
It is a big bureaucratic organization where many meaningful and useless works happen at the same time. the working environment is pretty much international, but certain group of nationalities occupy major positions.
Excellent place to work.
IT Local Area Networking (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 16, 2016
My bosses were exceptional, nice, considerate and excellent bedside manners.

Great company. Benefits. Experience exceptional.
Pros
Wine for lunch, long hour lunch with boss
Cons
work weekends
World Bank ITS
IT Specialist – Desktop Support Level III (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 5, 2016
The experience I've had here has been great. I learned much of the World Bank IT infrastructure and culture. The clients are very challenging and the work environment is great.
Depending on where you are
Economic Consultant (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCApril 26, 2016
Jobs can be either interesting or boring with lots of traveling depending on which functions/departments you are in.

Enjoyable working environment for an economist
Very exciting place to be in
QA/Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCNovember 16, 2015
Its a multinational organization with talent from all over the world. A typical day at world bank that I start my working day with prioritizing from previous day. Participate daily stand up meeting where I usually explain the project milestone. Maintaining daily clear communication with client and technical team, resolve any issue or conflict that may arise regarding to requirements and project milestone. Review and analysis the documents trying to find gap,error, rewrite QA and BA deliverable and always answering promptly in regards to project,
Pros
Great team, subsidize cafe, enjoyed multi culture enviornments
Cons
sometimes process are not define accordingly
Senior SAP ABAP Consultant (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCMay 12, 2016
Good to work. i have learnt many thing related to abap. Co workers are very friendly. We worked together to finish task. we deliver the objects on time.
Great Organization
Intern (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 4, 2016
Wonderful organization. Staff is fantastic and excited to work there.

Hard to junior level workers to get into the organization and difficult advancement.
Pros
Work / life balance
great opportunity
Administrative Office of Executive Director (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 3, 2016
Very great opportunity and good team to work with.
Challenging and liked to work at the World Bank.
Meeting good people and learn a lot.
Senior DBA: SQL Server, MySQL, Cassandra (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCFebruary 12, 2016
The work place is very friendly and teams are good. Apart form the regular RDBMS technologies, NoSQL technologies are also implemented in a large scale over here.

4.3