World Savvy is a national 501c3 education nonprofit, whose mission is to educate and engage youth in community and world affairs, to prepare them to thrive as responsible citizens in our global community. Our programs benefit more than 54,000 youth and 1,100 educators nationally each year, from offices in San Francisco, Minneapolis-St. Paul, and New York.www.worldsavvy.org
Equal Employment Opportunity has been, and will continue to be, a fundamental principle at World Savvy, where employment is based upon personal capabilities and qualifications without discrimination because of race, color, religion, sex, age, ancestry, national origin, citizenship, pregnancy, childbirth, marital status, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, gender identity, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic as established by applicable federal, state, or local law.
Summary: Under general supervision from the National Program Manager, World Savvy seeks a Program Associate to support the Media & Arts Program in the Minneapolis, MN during Spring 2013. The Media & Arts Program (MAP) is an innovative art and media education program for middle and high school teachers and their students. The MAP illuminates the connections between the local and global community and helps youth learn to use art and media as tools for self-expression, dialogue, and community engagement. World Savvy helps educators to integrate global education and arts & media into instruction for engaging, relevant curriculum that connects core subjects to contemporary local and global issues. Currently, World Savvy runs the MAP in New York City and San Francisco. (To learn more, visit our website: www.worldsavvy.org) We have been contracted to pilot a scaled-down version of the MAP in Minneapolis in Spring 2013. The Program Associate is responsible for executing the Media & Arts Program in Minneapolis from February-May 2013.
Distinguishing Features: This job requires management, implementation and evaluation of the Media & Arts Program in Minneapolis. It also requires collaboration with the National Program Manager and various national staff to ensure fulfillment of strategic goals of the program.
Schedule: Exempt, Full time, temporary position, some evenings required
Salary: Competitive and Commensurate with Experience
Projected Start Date: February 15, 2013
Application Deadline: initial deadline February 8, 2013; Open until filled
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Benefits: Health plan, paid vacation, sick and holidays as well as staff development benefits.
Reporting to the Program Manager, Program Associate is responsible for:
Consulting & Facilitation
o Conduct one-on-one curriculum consultations with 7 teachers
o Develop project proposals and work with teachers to implement projects
o Plan, prepare and facilitate youth workshops
o Regularly communicate with program partners to provide ongoing coaching and support throughout the school year, including advising on lesson plan development. This includes sending reminders about deadlines and forms, ensuring all necessary information is received from the partners in a timely manner, and responding to all questions as they arise.
o Plan, manage and execute Media & Arts Festival for Minneapolis students
o Secure a venue and work with venue staff to arrange all logistical details including insurance, security, food, A/V equipment, and access to facilities as necessary
o Recruit and manage volunteers
o Secure guest artists and other special guests
o Prepare all materials including event program, schedules, and publicity materials, installing exhibit, arranging and supervising field trips to exhibit by school groups, and managing the Festival event
o Working with Program and Communication Managers to support media outreach
Jam Session Coordination
o Work with teachers and students to prepare presentations for a day-long Jam Session that includes workshops and student presentations, to be held in conjunction with the Media & Arts Festival
o Coordinate all logistics for Jam Session, including workshops, presentation schedules, venue etc.
Qualified Candidates will have:
- Strong and demonstrated commitment to World Savvy’s mission and core values of integrity, excellence, inclusivity, collaboration and learning & development
- Minimum education: BA or BFA (Advanced degree preferred)
- Significant experience /background as a teaching artist within visual or performing arts
- Minimum 2 years of teaching experience with diverse populations of youth
- Curriculum development experience for 6-12 instruction
- Excellent research skills, including interdisciplinary research on global themes
- Experience with event planning and volunteer management
- Strong interpersonal and cross cultural communication skills, including experience managing a wide range of collaborations with program partners, artists and cultural institutions
- Excellent organizational and time management skills, including the ability to multi-task, prioritize, set and meet deadlines
- Detail oriented, self-motivated and comfortable working in a small, collaborative team environment
- Willingness to be flexible to meet deadlines consistent with program implementation (weekends and/or evenings)
- Strong proficiency in all MS Office Applications, particularly MS Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Outlook
- Knowledge of CRM technologies and best practices (Salesforce preferred)
- Knowledge of Twin Cities education sectors, particularly schools and district organization
- Advanced computer skills, including comfort with Adobe software
- Experience living or working internationally
To apply for this position please send a cover letter and resume with “MN MAP Program Associate” in the email subject line. Application deadline is February 1. 2013. NO