WorldStrides Employee Reviews

Festival Selection Advisor
Festival selection advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 7, 2015
This company has a great product. Problem with selling it is the price point. Any teacher that is interested is no longer after hearing the price.

I loved my time here, the people were amazing they staff was always finding ways to encourage you when you were down. The directors really seemed interested in you and how they can help you go further. A great starting salary.

But then reality sets in. Its a sales job. And you are in a small market for educational travel at the moment. You have to be there early, 7:30 am, and be there late, 6-7pm, to get a hold of teachers. Calling on your personal phone after hours and on weekends. Your territory is so stretched you wont have many good schools. The good sales people who are at quota early, those are people who have been there for a while and have repeat business and no new sales. If you cant get your teachers to sign on get a deposit turned in for a trip, then more than likely you wont be there long.

Dont let the free lunches, the contests, the encouragement ever make u feel safe. You are not. If you make your sales quota you will be fine. If you don't, start looking for a new job.
Pros
Free lunches, many bonuses. Great benifits Nice starting salary.
Cons
Longer hours than advertised. False security.
Micro management and no job security
sales associate (Former Employee) –  VANovember 29, 2015
Never know if you have a job by end of day, no job security,constant turn over, mass firings each season for "not producing" despite only being trained by other new employees when mangers take the summer and holidays off, all of them -so they hire you leave you to fend for yourself then core you for not doing it right.

Work 24/7 in at 7am out at 8/9pm and your phone is always forwarded and ringing with angry teachers. Ac that is not enough. You will never see your family or friends.

Micromanaged. Every second of every day. You will never do anything correct. Ever. It is a very emotionally crushing job. The management that is constantly critiquing you had never actually done the job, and are wildly underqualified to coach sales staff

Everyone gossips and talks about others,especially in management -where there are definate favorites. You will not be successful there unless you learn to kiss butt. Everyone is always eavesdropping on conversations and then twisting it to share with others to save themselves.

Completely inappropriate atmosphere, racist "jokes", sexism, and foul language 24/7 and only encouraged my management who is sleeping worth staff.

Don't do it.
Pros
Constant food. Everyone is equally miserable
Cons
Everything.... seriously, everything.
Lacks Work/Life Balance
Home Based Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, IL (Chicago Area)October 20, 2015
If you are a parent with pre-school or elementary age children this is not the place for you. The work from home seems cool until you realize that you are trapped in your home. You are scheduled to work 8 am- 5 pm, but expected to work as early as 6:30- 7 am - until up to 8 pm! Would be such a big deal if you were being compensated for over time, but there is non you're on salary. So 40, 50, 60 hours you're paid the same amount. It's suggested that you should start early before the teachers you're trying to reach begin teaching and after school has ended. Not a very realistic approach to reaching a teacher since they have lives themselves and can't talk on the phone at work. Your family will have to be an after thought even on weekends because you're expected to call teachers on Sundays(at home) or leave countless messages in their voicemail boxes for Monday.

If you take a lunch or sign off at 5 pm it's not viewed as favorable. When you go into the office once or twice a week there is no coaching or feedback, just making 100 calls to voicemail boxes as you sit next to your manager in tiny rented office space w/o windows! And while your there, the manager expects you to work through your lunch. I recall getting crazy looks like as if she wanted to say where are you going...Also new hires get the worst accounts (schools with low income families who can't afford to travel).

The salary is also ambiguous. Only a handful of employees ever make $60,000. The $40,000 start pay drops after a few months so if you don't have additional income you're working long hours for even
  more... less pay.... There is heavy micro-managing from a manager who speaks at you and Since Chicago is a remote office there is no HR to talk to. Worldstrides is a nice concept but the approach hasn't changed since the idea of school trip travel. And with school districts cutting back, overworked teachers and more families tightening budgets it's hard sell. You ideas are not welcome either, they invented this model and believe its fine, so keep your comments to yourself.  less
Pros
Work from home
Cons
no work life balance, long hours, no advancement
Great company
Data Entry/ Costumer Support (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 11, 2015
Cant really remember much about this company because its a seasonal job but as much as i can remember the pay was great and management was super nice
I wouldn't recommend this place to anyone
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  RichmondMay 20, 2015
They treat you like children and micro manage you in every way possible. The Richmond office is a joke they think if they feed you they can treat you how ever they want. The VP of the office has favorites and you know if you are not one by how your treated. Not professional at all. They have you use fake names to leave messages if you are not getting through. Work from 7 am to 8 or 9 at night and Sunday evenings you get no time to enjoy your life outside of the place
Results focused company...driven management
Senior Vice President of Sales - DiscoverNow (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VirginiaFebruary 27, 2015
Everyone at WorldStrides is passionate about the mission to bring educational student travel to as many students as possible throughout the United States.
Great professional atmosphere and opportunities for advancement
Tier II Technician (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 22, 2014
Company that will allow for alot of growth and experience. Fun place to work for.
Great benefits and Pay--if you need a job for a few months
Educational Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 19, 2014
Very difficult market--they give referrals only to their top sales people if they lasted the first season. Starting out there is no learning curve or formal training, lots of cold calling----GLORIFIED TELEMARKETING!!!!!! Educators don't respect you or the company very hard sell
Cons
poor management
Great Product and Culture
Employee (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAOctober 10, 2014
Good work/life balance. Casual work environment and awesome travel opportunities for employees and their family members. They don't pay at the top of the scale but you can't put a price on some of the perks that come along with the job.
Heartfelt place to work with great people!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 24, 2014
WorldStrides has grown substantially over the last few years and with that comes newer, more efficient processes across all departments. Despite the growth, they continue to place an emphasis on a casual work environment with a work/life balance. In fact, there’s a kegerator in the break room for employee happy hours and team gatherings. Unlimited sodas, coffee and tea, casual dress code including jeans, flexible work schedules depending upon your department’s busy season, gym discounts, travel discounts – sure, there are busy seasons that are stressful, but it’s hard to overlook the overall package of WorldStrides. We change students’ lives every day!
Pros
great teams to work with and unique benefits
Cons
peak seasons can call for long hours
-- DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME APPLYING --
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 25, 2014
After submitting my application, I quickly received an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. The interview went well so I had another one with a group of managers. They asked me to do a project as part of the interview process. I was given a short document outlining a project that I was supposed to do. The project took me about 15 hours given its requirements and to be "creative."

After I submitted the project I didn't hear back from anyone at Wordstrides. I followed up a week later and still nothing! It has been months now and nothing.

I can't believe how unprofessional and rude this company is. I feel like they wanted my ideas and work for free.. Do not waste any of your time or hope on this company. Don't waste your time applying!
Pros
quick response to application
Cons
everything -- they are horrible
Fast paced, telephone call center sales, Micro-managed.
Education Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 29, 2014
A typical day a the WorldStrides call center started at 7:30 am and ended at 3 pm. They also required you to make calls from home and on Sundays. WorldStrides embraced Micro-management. They consistently pressured you to make sales calls into territory that was recycled to try and find a new angle in.
I learned that a little bit about selling education travel. But more than that I learned that I wouldn't be able to manage my sales territory in a way that I felt would be most effective. When I first started with WorldStrides I was a temporary hire and I was given a lot of freedom to work on a new specialized project. My sales numbers where decent enough to attract WorldStrides into offering me a full time position with their sales team. Once on the team the co-workers where very competitive and standoffish towards me because I had been hired from the special events side of the company.
The hardest part of the job was working in the micro management model. I was shut down from the special events side of selling and had no freedom to differ from the written sales scripts. They wanted a certain number of call made each day and most of the time they were listening in to critique your phone salesmanship. I knew I could sell what I believed in. I just wanted to have the freedom to sell in my own style.
The most enjoyable part of working at WorldStrides was making sales. There where times when they did not pressure you as much and I could be more natural and less rote. When this happened I was able to make the most production and I did sell well. I just simply decided that I could put
  more... my ability to sell to better use for myself than for WorldStrides.  less
Pros
easy commute, interesting sales product.
Cons
micro-management
Do not be honest or try to transfer!
ETS (Former Employee) –  CharlottesvilleMay 23, 2014
Beware of what you say and make sure that you do not try to ask for a transfer. One minute you have their blessing and the next you are being walk out the door with term papers. Not worth the stress and very poor benefits!
Worst company
Sales (Former Employee) –  MiMay 19, 2014
This company is awful. They lead you to believe you are doing good and fire you before the selling season stops.
Cons
everything no pay, when they fire you they take you vacation days. run away from this awful co
serious work place
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Alexandria, VAAugust 6, 2013
it was a good job, it was not something that i would've wanted to wake up every morning as a career to do but it was fun.
Pros
nice employees
Cons
boring work settings
Great Entry Level
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 5, 2013
I liked talking with schools getting them to take educational trips with their students. I liked the competition on how many sales we could get in an hour.
great place to work!
Field Specialist (Current Employee) –  Shirlington, VaJune 27, 2013
As a field specialist your main domain is working in local airports.
good hours and benefits
FINICIAL SERVICE SPECIALIST (Current Employee) –  charlottesville VaMarch 31, 2013
go in at 8:30 to 5
I enjoied the type of work I did.
I learned more about using excel
They provided a class for it.
Some aspect of some of the managment we ok
Pros
benefits and pay
Cons
i want more
Home Office.
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMarch 8, 2013
Enjoyed working with teachers by phone and face to face each day to help them extend their classrooms through travel. History was the core curriculum of the educational travel programs.

What I learned was that the USA educational system is broken. We offered opportunities for students to extend their horizons. The teachers were exceptional, but with constraints. Buy offering the extended classroom they made a difference in their students lives.

Management was consistant with training and direction.

My many co-workers will be lifelong friends.

It was challenging to find that teacher who wanted to go the extra mile for their students.

I loved to travel with the schools on thier trips and watch their eyes light up to the wonders of the destiinations. Now they have more information for a productive life. The trip that changed them forever.
Pros
401k match. medical. dental.
Cons
not enough family time.
worldstrides
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  charlottesville, vaMarch 1, 2013
our company was bought out by worldstrides. they say they have family values but you dont see this at all. Their customer service to their clients was awful. coming from a wonderful company who took care of their clients to one who did not was tough. people who moved up were based on who friends where not based on qualifications.