WorldStrides Employee Reviews

Job interview for a Sr. Mgr
Sr. IT Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 15, 2016
Had an interview for a Sr. Manager role. The company is going through a major IT Business Process Transformation with existing management team with narrow minded personalities.

They could Improve if the serior management practice humility and embrace health challenge process. The overall culture lack careful and respectful communication.
Pros
Good for IT professionals who are in their early career
Cons
Not a culture where careful and respectful communication is given an importance.
Great company TONS of sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They really take care of their employees. Working environment is very casual. This company is for the person who is driven by making AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN! With that being said that also comes with long hours, travel, sales OR you're that middle-aged person whose kids are off to college and you need something to do and bring that extra money in. I left this company for personal reasons. If someone asked me would I ever go back. Yes I would.

p.s.-The whole company is sales driven.
Pros
The money, hours, casual dress attire, employment appreciation days
Cons
No room for advancement
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company for a few years. There is a busy season where you are required to work overtime, sometimes until 9PM but it is a pretty easy job with great benefits and pay.
Nepotism and fear-based micromanagement
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 1, 2016
This is the absolute worst company in the industry and the worst employer in the area. You will notice that they are ALWAYS hiring. That is because they are always firing people; zero job security. Tragically, I met some of the loveliest people working at this company but they have all been fired (summarily without cause or explanation) and others simply quit out of desperation for their sanity. The "leadership" is family and friend-based and you have no chance of growing or being promoted.
I worked herefor five years and quit out of disgust for how my coworkers were being treated. I cannot express how much you should AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!
Pros
Very nice coworkers
Cons
"Leadership", amoral HR practices, nepotism
Used to be great...
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2016
When I started at WorldStrides, it was a very family oriented company. After being there a few years, it shifted to an extremely corporate, very cold, unfeeling company. A lot of groups traveling also feel that the company has gotten too big and they voice this opinion loudly by moving to smaller travel companies only to end up right back at WorldStrides because undoubtedly, all of the smaller companies are being gobbled up by the big, corporate giant.
This company has NO idea what direction they want to go
Not given (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 4, 2016
This company is famous in Charlottesville for its mass firings, rotten working conditions. One moment you have a job, at the end of the day you have nothing.

Laughable salary, even worse management, if you want to call what they have management. First graders could do a better job.

Best advice - avoid at all cost.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
Read above
Terrible Company - Beware!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2016
They let me go just before I began making money and then turned around and brought me to court to return equipment that they already had back...they had made the pickup arrangements.
Pros
Cons
no work life balance - I worked more hours than if I had been commuting
Review
Educational Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  richmond, vaMarch 17, 2016
Not bad. Really hard to get revenue and annoying evening hours. Nice management but no room for advancement and NO job security. They mass fire all the time.
Great company to work for
Travel & Events On-site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2016
Worldstrides brings over 100,000 students to the East Coast for accredited educational tours annually. Worldstrides has over 350,000 students traveling worldwide last year alone.
The staff and all departments are top notch when it comes to customer service.
Pros
The staff is great to work with and the quality of the tours are fantastic.
Cons
I would like more of a West Coast tour representation
Micro management and no job security
sales associate (Former Employee) –  VANovember 29, 2015
Never know if you have a job by end of day, no job security,constant turn over, mass firings each season for "not producing" despite only being trained by other new employees when mangers take the summer and holidays off, all of them -so they hire you leave you to fend for yourself then core you for not doing it right.

Work 24/7 in at 7am out at 8/9pm and your phone is always forwarded and ringing with angry teachers. Ac that is not enough. You will never see your family or friends.

Micromanaged. Every second of every day. You will never do anything correct. Ever. It is a very emotionally crushing job. The management that is constantly critiquing you had never actually done the job, and are wildly underqualified to coach sales staff

Everyone gossips and talks about others,especially in management -where there are definate favorites. You will not be successful there unless you learn to kiss butt. Everyone is always eavesdropping on conversations and then twisting it to share with others to save themselves.

Completely inappropriate atmosphere, racist "jokes", sexism, and foul language 24/7 and only encouraged my management who is sleeping worth staff.

Don't do it.
Pros
Constant food. Everyone is equally miserable
Cons
Everything.... seriously, everything.
Good pay=no life
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 10, 2016
Great company, Great people, Great pay. If you have a life whether its a kids, significant other, a hobby etc forget about it. This job requires you to work 6 days a week and most days begin as early as 7:30am and can end as late as 9pm.
Pros
constant contests for monetary amounts, a lot of perks
Cons
you can not use the bathroom without having your phone on you
Heartfelt place to work with great people!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VASeptember 24, 2014
WorldStrides has grown substantially over the last few years and with that comes newer, more efficient processes across all departments. Despite the growth, they continue to place an emphasis on a casual work environment with a work/life balance. In fact, there’s a kegerator in the break room for employee happy hours and team gatherings. Unlimited sodas, coffee and tea, casual dress code including jeans, flexible work schedules depending upon your department’s busy season, gym discounts, travel discounts – sure, there are busy seasons that are stressful, but it’s hard to overlook the overall package of WorldStrides. We change students’ lives every day!
Pros
Great teams to work with and unique benefits
Cons
Peak seasons can call for long hours
Home Office.
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Newport Beach, CAMarch 8, 2013
Enjoyed working with teachers by phone and face to face each day to help them extend their classrooms through travel. History was the core curriculum of the educational travel programs.

What I learned was that the USA educational system is broken. We offered opportunities for students to extend their horizons. The teachers were exceptional, but with constraints. Buy offering the extended classroom they made a difference in their students lives.

Management was consistant with training and direction.

My many co-workers will be lifelong friends.

It was challenging to find that teacher who wanted to go the extra mile for their students.

I loved to travel with the schools on thier trips and watch their eyes light up to the wonders of the destiinations. Now they have more information for a productive life. The trip that changed them forever.
Pros
401k match. medical. dental.
Cons
not enough family time.
Festival Selection Advisor
Festival selection advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 7, 2015
This company has a great product. Problem with selling it is the price point. Any teacher that is interested is no longer after hearing the price.

I loved my time here, the people were amazing they staff was always finding ways to encourage you when you were down. The directors really seemed interested in you and how they can help you go further. A great starting salary.

But then reality sets in. Its a sales job. And you are in a small market for educational travel at the moment. You have to be there early, 7:30 am, and be there late, 6-7pm, to get a hold of teachers. Calling on your personal phone after hours and on weekends. Your territory is so stretched you wont have many good schools. The good sales people who are at quota early, those are people who have been there for a while and have repeat business and no new sales. If you cant get your teachers to sign on get a deposit turned in for a trip, then more than likely you wont be there long.

Dont let the free lunches, the contests, the encouragement ever make u feel safe. You are not. If you make your sales quota you will be fine. If you don't, start looking for a new job.
Pros
Free lunches, many bonuses. Great benifits Nice starting salary.
Cons
Longer hours than advertised. False security.
Lacks Work/Life Balance
Home Based Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, IL (Chicago Area)October 20, 2015
If you are a parent with pre-school or elementary age children this is not the place for you. The work from home seems cool until you realize that you are trapped in your home. You are scheduled to work 8 am- 5 pm, but expected to work as early as 6:30- 7 am - until up to 8 pm! Would be such a big deal if you were being compensated for over time, but there is non you're on salary. So 40, 50, 60 hours you're paid the same amount. It's suggested that you should start early before the teachers you're trying to reach begin teaching and after school has ended. Not a very realistic approach to reaching a teacher since they have lives themselves and can't talk on the phone at work. Your family will have to be an after thought even on weekends because you're expected to call teachers on Sundays(at home) or leave countless messages in their voicemail boxes for Monday.

If you take a lunch or sign off at 5 pm it's not viewed as favorable. When you go into the office once or twice a week there is no coaching or feedback, just making 100 calls to voicemail boxes as you sit next to your manager in tiny rented office space w/o windows! And while your there, the manager expects you to work through your lunch. I recall getting crazy looks like as if she wanted to say where are you going...Also new hires get the worst accounts (schools with low income families who can't afford to travel).

The salary is also ambiguous. Only a handful of employees ever make $60,000. The $40,000 start pay drops after a few months so if you don't have additional income you're working long hours for even
  more... less pay.... There is heavy micro-managing from a manager who speaks at you and Since Chicago is a remote office there is no HR to talk to. Worldstrides is a nice concept but the approach hasn't changed since the idea of school trip travel. And with school districts cutting back, overworked teachers and more families tightening budgets it's hard sell. You ideas are not welcome either, they invented this model and believe its fine, so keep your comments to yourself.  less
Pros
Work from home
Cons
no work life balance, long hours, no advancement
great company
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2016
Very friendly Organisation. Everyone eager to help. Doing outbound calls learing to communicate over the phone in a timely matter.Multi task with Microsoft office and Maximizer.
Great benefits and Pay--if you need a job for a few months
Educational Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  Glen Allen, VANovember 19, 2014
Very difficult market--they give referrals only to their top sales people if they lasted the first season. Starting out there is no learning curve or formal training, lots of cold calling----GLORIFIED TELEMARKETING!!!!!! Educators don't respect you or the company very hard sell
Cons
Poor management
Fast paced, telephone call center sales, Micro-managed.
Education Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJune 29, 2014
A typical day a the WorldStrides call center started at 7:30 am and ended at 3 pm. They also required you to make calls from home and on Sundays. WorldStrides embraced Micro-management. They consistently pressured you to make sales calls into territory that was recycled to try and find a new angle in.
I learned that a little bit about selling education travel. But more than that I learned that I wouldn't be able to manage my sales territory in a way that I felt would be most effective. When I first started with WorldStrides I was a temporary hire and I was given a lot of freedom to work on a new specialized project. My sales numbers where decent enough to attract WorldStrides into offering me a full time position with their sales team. Once on the team the co-workers where very competitive and standoffish towards me because I had been hired from the special events side of the company.
The hardest part of the job was working in the micro management model. I was shut down from the special events side of selling and had no freedom to differ from the written sales scripts. They wanted a certain number of call made each day and most of the time they were listening in to critique your phone salesmanship. I knew I could sell what I believed in. I just wanted to have the freedom to sell in my own style.
The most enjoyable part of working at WorldStrides was making sales. There where times when they did not pressure you as much and I could be more natural and less rote. When this happened I was able to make the most production and I did sell well. I just simply decided that
  more... I could put my ability to sell to better use for myself than for WorldStrides.  less
Pros
Easy commute, interesting sales product.
Cons
Micro-management
-- Don't waste your time applying --
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAJuly 25, 2014
After submitting my application, I quickly received an e-mail to schedule a phone interview. The interview went well so I had another one with a group of managers. They asked me to do a project as part of the interview process. I was given a short document outlining a project that I was supposed to do. The project took me about 15 hours given its requirements and to be "creative."

After I submitted the project I didn't hear back from anyone at Wordstrides. I followed up a week later and still nothing! It has been months now and nothing.

I can't believe how unprofessional and rude this company is. I feel like they wanted my ideas and work for free.. Do not waste any of your time or hope on this company. Don't waste your time applying!
Pros
Quick response to application
Cons
EVERYTHING -- They are HORRIBLE
Great company
Data Entry/ Costumer Support (Former Employee) –  West Valley City, UTJune 11, 2015
Cant really remember much about this company because its a seasonal job but as much as i can remember the pay was great and management was super nice

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorldStrides. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9