WorldStrides Employee Reviews

Good call center to work for
International Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Richmond, VAJuly 20, 2017
Pay and benefits are good. Product is fantastic and life-changing for teachers and students.

Must be open to dialing out 65-100 times per day, leaving messages and having a relatively low response rate.
Great exciting job
Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAJuly 13, 2017
I really enjoyed working for WS. It is an exciting and challenging environment providing a great service of educational touring for students. I loved the culture and people I was working with. Everyone was really nice and helped each other.
Peaceful
CSR - Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2017
The environment was very pracful and quiet. Hours were steady but training was HORRIBLE. You basically had to learn everything on your own. But the pay was good ig.
If you're looking at the ETS role do not do it to yourself if you want stability
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 24, 2017
There is plenty of micro management that happens if you're in the sales division especially. Be prepared to have to do things a certain way even if it doesn't work for you. Don't be fooled by the pay because chances are if you aren't showing results you'll be cut fairly quickly. I wasn't given much of a chance and when my day came I was given a very cold shoulder by my director who acted like they cared prior. Only the person that did my off boarding showed me any type of passion given my circumstances. They put me in a HORRIBLE spot and I just don't have very much that's nice to say. The HR people and other departments are very nice people. Also a lot of your peers are very nice and wonderful to get along with but if you sign up for the sales division don't anticipate much from them if you start to severely struggle. I beg anybody that sees their inside sales rep (ETS) jobs to please be weary and do not get lost in the promises because chances are unless you have the necessary luck to succeed you won't be there long enough to reap any rewards.
Pros
Good benefits package, nice people to work with overall
Cons
micromanagement, little job security, all about business not about their people. Could work very long hours
Family company
Operations/Human Resources Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Arlington, VAApril 18, 2017
Overall it was a good experience working with this company. Benefit package not so great. Our office was not at corporate and we got along very well.
Customer Service
Customer Service Rep (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 23, 2016
I enjoyed working for this company for a few years. There is a busy season where you are required to work overtime, sometimes until 9PM but it is a pretty easy job with great benefits and pay.
the leader in student travel
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 15, 2016
great place to work
nice people to work with
corporate office in Charlottesville, VA has a great downtown location
stable management team
travel benefits
Used to be great...
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VANovember 16, 2016
When I started at WorldStrides, it was a very family oriented company. After being there a few years, it shifted to an extremely corporate, very cold, unfeeling company. A lot of groups traveling also feel that the company has gotten too big and they voice this opinion loudly by moving to smaller travel companies only to end up right back at WorldStrides because undoubtedly, all of the smaller companies are being gobbled up by the big, corporate giant.
Job interview for a Sr. Mgr
Sr. IT Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  VAOctober 15, 2016
Had an interview for a Sr. Manager role. The company is going through a major IT Business Process Transformation with existing management team with narrow minded personalities.

They could Improve if the serior management practice humility and embrace health challenge process. The overall culture lack careful and respectful communication.
Pros
Good for IT professionals who are in their early career
Cons
Not a culture where careful and respectful communication is given an importance.
Great company TONS of sales
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaAugust 23, 2016
This is a great company to work for. They really take care of their employees. Working environment is very casual. This company is for the person who is driven by making AS MUCH MONEY AS YOU POSSIBLY CAN! With that being said that also comes with long hours, travel, sales OR you're that middle-aged person whose kids are off to college and you need something to do and bring that extra money in. I left this company for personal reasons. If someone asked me would I ever go back. Yes I would.

p.s.-The whole company is sales driven.
Pros
The money, hours, casual dress attire, employment appreciation days
Cons
No room for advancement
Great company to work for
Travel & Events On-site Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Washington, DCJuly 18, 2016
Worldstrides brings over 100,000 students to the East Coast for accredited educational tours annually. Worldstrides has over 350,000 students traveling worldwide last year alone.
The staff and all departments are top notch when it comes to customer service.
Pros
The staff is great to work with and the quality of the tours are fantastic.
Cons
I would like more of a West Coast tour representation
Terrible Company - Beware!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXJuly 12, 2016
They let me go just before I began making money and then turned around and brought me to court to return equipment that they already had back...they had made the pickup arrangements.
Pros
Cons
no work life balance - I worked more hours than if I had been commuting
Good pay=no life
Educational Travel Specialist (Former Employee) –  Glen Allen, VAJune 10, 2016
Great company, Great people, Great pay. If you have a life whether its a kids, significant other, a hobby etc forget about it. This job requires you to work 6 days a week and most days begin as early as 7:30am and can end as late as 9pm.
Pros
constant contests for monetary amounts, a lot of perks
Cons
you can not use the bathroom without having your phone on you
Nepotism and fear-based micromanagement
HR Generalist (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAMay 1, 2016
This is the absolute worst company in the industry and the worst employer in the area. You will notice that they are ALWAYS hiring. That is because they are always firing people; zero job security. Tragically, I met some of the loveliest people working at this company but they have all been fired (summarily without cause or explanation) and others simply quit out of desperation for their sanity. The "leadership" is family and friend-based and you have no chance of growing or being promoted.
I worked herefor five years and quit out of disgust for how my coworkers were being treated. I cannot express how much you should AVOID THIS COMPANY!!!
Pros
Very nice coworkers
Cons
"Leadership", amoral HR practices, nepotism
This company has NO idea what direction they want to go
Not given (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VAApril 4, 2016
This company is famous in Charlottesville for its mass firings, rotten working conditions. One moment you have a job, at the end of the day you have nothing.

Laughable salary, even worse management, if you want to call what they have management. First graders could do a better job.

Best advice - avoid at all cost.
Pros
None what so ever
Cons
Read above
Review
Educational Travel Specialist (Current Employee) –  richmond, vaMarch 17, 2016
Not bad. Really hard to get revenue and annoying evening hours. Nice management but no room for advancement and NO job security. They mass fire all the time.
great company
customer service representative (Former Employee) –  Salt Lake City, UTJanuary 14, 2016
Very friendly Organisation. Everyone eager to help. Doing outbound calls learing to communicate over the phone in a timely matter.Multi task with Microsoft office and Maximizer.
Festival Selection Advisor
Festival selection advisor (Former Employee) –  Charlottesville, VADecember 7, 2015
This company has a great product. Problem with selling it is the price point. Any teacher that is interested is no longer after hearing the price.

I loved my time here, the people were amazing they staff was always finding ways to encourage you when you were down. The directors really seemed interested in you and how they can help you go further. A great starting salary.

But then reality sets in. Its a sales job. And you are in a small market for educational travel at the moment. You have to be there early, 7:30 am, and be there late, 6-7pm, to get a hold of teachers. Calling on your personal phone after hours and on weekends. Your territory is so stretched you wont have many good schools. The good sales people who are at quota early, those are people who have been there for a while and have repeat business and no new sales. If you cant get your teachers to sign on get a deposit turned in for a trip, then more than likely you wont be there long.

Dont let the free lunches, the contests, the encouragement ever make u feel safe. You are not. If you make your sales quota you will be fine. If you don't, start looking for a new job.
Pros
Free lunches, many bonuses. Great benifits Nice starting salary.
Cons
Longer hours than advertised. False security.
Micro management and no job security
sales associate (Former Employee) –  VANovember 29, 2015
Never know if you have a job by end of day, no job security,constant turn over, mass firings each season for "not producing" despite only being trained by other new employees when mangers take the summer and holidays off, all of them -so they hire you leave you to fend for yourself then core you for not doing it right.

Work 24/7 in at 7am out at 8/9pm and your phone is always forwarded and ringing with angry teachers. Ac that is not enough. You will never see your family or friends.

Micromanaged. Every second of every day. You will never do anything correct. Ever. It is a very emotionally crushing job. The management that is constantly critiquing you had never actually done the job, and are wildly underqualified to coach sales staff

Everyone gossips and talks about others,especially in management -where there are definate favorites. You will not be successful there unless you learn to kiss butt. Everyone is always eavesdropping on conversations and then twisting it to share with others to save themselves.

Completely inappropriate atmosphere, racist "jokes", sexism, and foul language 24/7 and only encouraged my management who is sleeping worth staff.

Don't do it.
Pros
Constant food. Everyone is equally miserable
Cons
Everything.... seriously, everything.
Lacks Work/Life Balance
Home Based Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Lisle, IL (Chicago Area)October 20, 2015
If you are a parent with pre-school or elementary age children this is not the place for you. The work from home seems cool until you realize that you are trapped in your home. You are scheduled to work 8 am- 5 pm, but expected to work as early as 6:30- 7 am - until up to 8 pm! Would be such a big deal if you were being compensated for over time, but there is non you're on salary. So 40, 50, 60 hours you're paid the same amount. It's suggested that you should start early before the teachers you're trying to reach begin teaching and after school has ended. Not a very realistic approach to reaching a teacher since they have lives themselves and can't talk on the phone at work. Your family will have to be an after thought even on weekends because you're expected to call teachers on Sundays(at home) or leave countless messages in their voicemail boxes for Monday.

If you take a lunch or sign off at 5 pm it's not viewed as favorable. When you go into the office once or twice a week there is no coaching or feedback, just making 100 calls to voicemail boxes as you sit next to your manager in tiny rented office space w/o windows! And while your there, the manager expects you to work through your lunch. I recall getting crazy looks like as if she wanted to say where are you going...Also new hires get the worst accounts (schools with low income families who can't afford to travel).

The salary is also ambiguous. Only a handful of employees ever make $60,000. The $40,000 start pay drops after a few months so if you don't have additional income you're working long hours for even
  more... less pay.... There is heavy micro-managing from a manager who speaks at you and Since Chicago is a remote office there is no HR to talk to. Worldstrides is a nice concept but the approach hasn't changed since the idea of school trip travel. And with school districts cutting back, overworked teachers and more families tightening budgets it's hard sell. You ideas are not welcome either, they invented this model and believe its fine, so keep your comments to yourself.  less
Pros
Work from home
Cons
no work life balance, long hours, no advancement

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WorldStrides. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6