The Senior Design Engineer - Cryogenics will be responsible for leading the specification, design, build, and testing of innovative cryogenic pressure vessels and other products for Worthington’s Cryogenics business. Projects could include industrial gas, liquefied natural gas/ alternative fuels for vehicles, or other applications. Project management responsibilities may also be given to Senior Design Engineer if candidate is willing and able. Ideal candidate needs to be an entrepreneurial leader who can work with sales, operations, and senior management team to identify appropriate product strategy and design inputs, to execute the detailed design and to ensure products put into the field are of the highest quality.
- Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering preferred
- Ability to execute detailed cryogenic vessel design including main structure (inner and outer cylinders and heads), valves/piping, finishing/labeling, vacuum, and insulation. Must be able to design for manufacturability and various processes including roll forming, welding, insulation wrapping, etc. and to work with manufacturing team to design appropriate equipment and production automation
- Ability to innovate via understanding customer needs and iterating through prototypes and experiments quickly. Must be able to get past current industry paradigms in order to make better, market leading products
- Project management: identifying proper sequence of events, critical path, high risk points, and contingencies. Managing appropriate partners and team members when necessary, and working in a team setting to execute the design and build of the product line. Management of research budget.
- Ability to oversee prototype build and testing (e.g. executing FMEA, V&V testing, and testing for reliability, design inputs, and abuse)
- Ability to communicate progress, risks, and additional resources needed to generic audience
- Ability to estimate total cost of design (material, labor time, supplied parts, etc.) to meet unit cost goals
- Knowledge of appropriate cryogenic manufacturing environment (e.g. cleanliness requirements, humidity requirements, etc.)
- Familiarity with regulatory specifications (e.g. ASME section VIII, DOT 4L, NFPA codes for LNG etc.)
- Knowledge of typical cryogenic cylinder failure modes and root causes (e.g. heat leak, vacuum loss, virtual leaks, relief valve icing, under fill/over fill, etc.). Ability to troubleshoot and diagnose root causes
- Knowledge of Medium to High vacuum and vacuum jacket insulation design and production processes
- Knowledge of heat transfer mechanisms and testing (e.g. convection, conduction, and radiation)
- General knowledge of CAD/CAM, geometric dimensioning and tolerancing, Finite Element Analysis or ability to manage draftsman who can execute these tasks
Indeed - 15 months ago