WORTHINGTON STEEL Employee Reviews

great place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIAugust 18, 2016
WSP Taylor is a great place to work. The good people and management listens very well. It just takes a while for changes to happen but they do happen in this plant and the people are very good to work with you are basically family when you work there
Pros
profit sharing and easy to move up if you are driven
Cons
hours can be long and endless when the business is picking up
Working At Worthington
Machine Operator / Quality inspector (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 14, 2016
This job is a lot of over time and working weekends. Co workers are willing to help you and train you. The hardest part about this job is dealing with management about personal issues. But this is a good job to work at.
Challenging and rewarding career with great growth oppportunities
Scheduling Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2015
Excellent company provided great compensation and benefits. Tried to be as work/life balanced as possible. Provided several avenues for advancement.. The job was both rewarding and challenging. Exceptional well rounded management team both caring of people and business savay
produtive and fun
Senior Edger Operator, Roll Mill (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 28, 2015
the management team and plant employee's were a great team to work with. we had a clean and safe work environment . the plant was closed due to the loss of local customer's
Pros
excellent pay and benifits
Cons
loss of job
Fulfilling work
Rolling mill operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 31, 2015
This job was my first taste in the steel industry and I wouldn't change it for the world. My day started out with management handing me the information required to get my job done as a rolling mill operator. I went through "in house material" at the beginning of the shift to load the machine and had a helper package the material and weigh it for delivery.
Pros
commraderie
Cons
The shop was shut down in 2002
Productive work environment enabling me to grow and learn with great management.
Cut-To-Length Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIJuly 16, 2013
Work with various steel sheet sizes. Consistently enforced safe work practices in compliance with OSHA. Great relationship building with co-workers and upper management. Efficiently completed maintenance logs daily. Went over and above job description duties in preventative maintenance on machines. Assisted cut-to-length operator as needed.
Was able to complete daily job duties yet was able to take great initiative on my own. Learned efficient multi-tasking skills Was able to continue building relationships through my time at Worthington Steel. Was able to use detail-oriented skills in day to day. Enabled me to stay organized and efficient. This job was enjoyable yet pushed me everyday to exceed expectations; which were always met.
Great management, great co-workers, great overall experience.
Pros
Great relationship building, could take initiave on my own while completing niormal job dutuies.
Cons
Not enough room for growth and leadership positions
own barber shop exercise room
Maintenance Technician/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 23, 2015
it was hot hard and very greasy oily heavy work but we all worked hard pay good gave us training iwas sent to other plants and classes cpr ,first aid,defibulator ,fall protection first responder,high lift electrical trainging, excel classes,plc training ect
Pros
money benefits training
Cons
dirty heavy and weird work days and hours
Good company
Group Leader/Annealing Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALMarch 16, 2013
Swing shift work
* setting up loads for anealing process
* traing new employees about steel work
*Local management not as good as corporate
*Co-workers good people
*swing shift hard on family
*fun place to work smart co-workers everyone gets along good
*Pay 65% bonuses
Pros
off every 4th day
Cons
work lots of ot and away from family comensation not great
Productive workplace with a indoor fitness area
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Porter, INJanuary 17, 2013
Worthington Steel is a nice place to work. Management is always willing to help as were my coworkers. Here team work is a big part of the job. More than anything, here I leaned to work as safe as possible, due to the danger level.
Pros
great wellness program
Cons
very dirty and dangerous place.
Doing While Learning
Team Leader - Six Sigma Project (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 25, 2013
In six sigma project, I have managed a team of four six sigma green belt candidates to work for Worthington Steel, conducting analysis for their extremely high late release rate in transportation department. We were able to sort and summarize key variables from their complex database. By following the six sigma DMAIC process, we provided three solutions including a redesign of information exchange screen used by transportation department to communicate with sales department and one control mechanism to decrease and control their late release ratio. I am proud of the fact that our clients valued our contributions. Because of those experiences, I was able to develop my leadership skills and obtained a deep understanding of the importance of communication and collaboration, especially in a well diversified team.
Out Of Business
Material Handler/Machine Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Hill, SCMay 16, 2012
Was a great place to work. Slow growth advance from floor to machines. Better pay for skill but no growth or advanements in management...
productive and interesting
General Labor Asst. Operator (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHMay 20, 2015
always had a good working environment loved the people I worked with enjoyed coming to work. I learned something new every day.
having to take a lunch
Copper Plating (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHJanuary 13, 2013
a typical day at work starting on what was ordered out to do, then following and finding things to do until time to get off of work. co workers were easy to get along with for the most part. hardest part of the job would be the computers im more of a hands on guy. loved the over time and weekend hours.
Pros
overtime, working weekends
Cons
hired on full time with the company
A good job !
Tool crib/ Purchasing (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHJune 24, 2012
I worked at Worthington Steel 24 years. I worked in maint.for 2 yrs. production for 10 yrs. and tool crib for 12 yrs. The hardest part of the job was dealing with other employees.
Pros
lots of overtime
Cons
had to work overtime to make enought money.
A great place to start in the steel industry
Lab Technician/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Porter, INAugust 14, 2014
The company took time to train new employees. An employee could move up in the company with a little effort.
Pros
Proffit sharing
Cons
Low hourly rate
Good People and Respected
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 15, 2012
This is a well respected organization with many long time employees. Worthington has always treated employees with respect.
Pros
employees
Cons
growth
we all worked hard
material handler (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDNovember 17, 2012
It was a good place to work for,everybody worked together to get the job done
Pros
profit sharing
Cons
felt like away's in a hurry to do things
Steel mill
Machine Helper/Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2013
Cutting steel to customer specs. Must be able to work by yourself.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WORTHINGTON STEEL. Our community is ready to answer.

WORTHINGTON STEEL Reviews by Location