WORTHINGTON STEEL Employee Reviews

Fast paced, With Profit Sharing
Shift supervisor (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDSeptember 24, 2017
I was there for over 20 years and they helped me raise a family and have a comfortable life. You could grow if you wanted to and the training was outstanding.
Pros
Hair cut at work and Profit Shaing
Cons
Short Breaks
Productive and fun work place
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Canton, MISeptember 24, 2017
Worthington is a great company to work for, You can walk into it with having very low experience and walk out a pro. Worthington teaches you how to work safe and smart, everyone is friendly and it becomes a wonderful place to work for, as long as you are being productive and safe you will be treated fairly. Wortington steel is definitely a company that you wouldn't regret working for.
Pros
meet goal, get free lunches.
Cons
dress code
good place to work, got along with all the people
material handler and driving forklift (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 29, 2017
drive forklift, take steel off a wooden skid and place on metal skid and take to shipping. take overhead crane and load 50 to 70,000 lbs. of coiled steel and load on the back of machine. set in a booth and inspect steel as it went by. I really enjoyed inspecting and driving forklift, and I really enjoyed working with everyone there
Pros
good benefits and fair salary and room for advancement
Cons
the swing shift
Line bander (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIAugust 22, 2017
Good place, good people who are always prepared to work. Theres opportunity for advancement and theres alot of motivation involved. Fun and professional enviroment.
Excellent pay and benifits, good culture with coworkers who care.
Wet Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Delta, OHMay 3, 2017
A day at work could be fast paced and exciting, working as a team to meet/exceed production goals. The team works really well together to contribute to the goal. The biggest challenge is maintenance to the line and the most enjoyable part is coming up with a solution and working through it to get/keep the line running.
Pros
profit sharing, insurance, culture
Cons
schedule, managment, understaffed
Steel Processing Company
Territory Manager (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHApril 24, 2017
Worthington Steel is a division of Worthington Industries. Worthington has several divisions in many different locations. Most of these locations is in the Midwest and northeast.
Clean place to work
Steel Processor (Former Employee) –  Portage, INJanuary 3, 2017
Learned a lot.
The work environment was good.
The place was clean.
The safety programs were good.
A lot of big equipment to become knowledgeable with
Pros
learned a lot
Cons
economy
Ok place to work
Material handler (Former Employee) –  Delta, OHDecember 6, 2016
Coworkers for the most part were great to work with. The job was hard at first and is very fast paced, and on a typical day went by slow due to lot of repeation.
Working At Worthington
Machine Operator / Quality inspector (Former Employee) –  Canton, MINovember 14, 2016
This job is a lot of over time and working weekends. Co workers are willing to help you and train you. The hardest part about this job is dealing with management about personal issues. But this is a good job to work at.
great place to work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIAugust 18, 2016
WSP Taylor is a great place to work. The good people and management listens very well. It just takes a while for changes to happen but they do happen in this plant and the people are very good to work with you are basically family when you work there
Pros
profit sharing and easy to move up if you are driven
Cons
hours can be long and endless when the business is picking up
Fulfilling work
Rolling mill operator (Former Employee) –  Jackson, MIJuly 31, 2015
This job was my first taste in the steel industry and I wouldn't change it for the world. My day started out with management handing me the information required to get my job done as a rolling mill operator. I went through "in house material" at the beginning of the shift to load the machine and had a helper package the material and weigh it for delivery.
Pros
commraderie
Cons
The shop was shut down in 2002
Challenging and rewarding career with great growth oppportunities
Scheduling Manager (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 14, 2015
Excellent company provided great compensation and benefits. Tried to be as work/life balanced as possible. Provided several avenues for advancement.. The job was both rewarding and challenging. Exceptional well rounded management team both caring of people and business savay
produtive and fun
Senior Edger Operator, Roll Mill (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJune 28, 2015
the management team and plant employee's were a great team to work with. we had a clean and safe work environment . the plant was closed due to the loss of local customer's
Pros
excellent pay and benifits
Cons
loss of job
productive and interesting
General Labor Asst. Operator (Former Employee) –  Monroe, OHMay 20, 2015
always had a good working environment loved the people I worked with enjoyed coming to work. I learned something new every day.
own barber shop exercise room
Maintenance Technician/Electrician (Former Employee) –  Louisville, KYMarch 23, 2015
it was hot hard and very greasy oily heavy work but we all worked hard pay good gave us training iwas sent to other plants and classes cpr ,first aid,defibulator ,fall protection first responder,high lift electrical trainging, excel classes,plc training ect
Pros
money benefits training
Cons
dirty heavy and weird work days and hours
A great place to start in the steel industry
Lab Technician/Maintenance (Former Employee) –  Porter, INAugust 14, 2014
The company took time to train new employees. An employee could move up in the company with a little effort.
Pros
Proffit sharing
Cons
Low hourly rate
Doing While Learning
Team Leader - Six Sigma Project (Former Employee) –  Columbus, OHOctober 25, 2013
In six sigma project, I have managed a team of four six sigma green belt candidates to work for Worthington Steel, conducting analysis for their extremely high late release rate in transportation department. We were able to sort and summarize key variables from their complex database. By following the six sigma DMAIC process, we provided three solutions including a redesign of information exchange screen used by transportation department to communicate with sales department and one control mechanism to decrease and control their late release ratio. I am proud of the fact that our clients valued our contributions. Because of those experiences, I was able to develop my leadership skills and obtained a deep understanding of the importance of communication and collaboration, especially in a well diversified team.
Steel mill
Machine Helper/Operator (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDJuly 19, 2013
Cutting steel to customer specs. Must be able to work by yourself.
Productive work environment enabling me to grow and learn with great management.
Cut-To-Length Assistant Operator (Former Employee) –  Taylor, MIJuly 16, 2013
Work with various steel sheet sizes. Consistently enforced safe work practices in compliance with OSHA. Great relationship building with co-workers and upper management. Efficiently completed maintenance logs daily. Went over and above job description duties in preventative maintenance on machines. Assisted cut-to-length operator as needed.
Was able to complete daily job duties yet was able to take great initiative on my own. Learned efficient multi-tasking skills Was able to continue building relationships through my time at Worthington Steel. Was able to use detail-oriented skills in day to day. Enabled me to stay organized and efficient. This job was enjoyable yet pushed me everyday to exceed expectations; which were always met.
Great management, great co-workers, great overall experience.
Pros
Great relationship building, could take initiave on my own while completing niormal job dutuies.
Cons
Not enough room for growth and leadership positions
Good company
Group Leader/Annealing Operator (Former Employee) –  Decatur, ALMarch 16, 2013
Swing shift work
* setting up loads for anealing process
* traing new employees about steel work
*Local management not as good as corporate
*Co-workers good people
*swing shift hard on family
*fun place to work smart co-workers everyone gets along good
*Pay 65% bonuses
Pros
off every 4th day
Cons
work lots of ot and away from family comensation not great