Wounded Warrior Project

Wounded Warrior Project Employer Reviews

Can't Imagine a Better Job
Warrior Outreach Coordinator (Current Employee), San Diego, CADecember 8, 2013
Pros: amazing culture, good benefits, great mission
Cons: work load, competiton to get in and advance
Fun, Integrity, Loyalty, Innovation, and Service. Those are the key elements of any position with WWP. And they are all taken very seriously. Employees who are deficient in one or more of those areas may not make it, but this is truly a unique organization and I can't imagine working anywhere else and being happy about it.

Let there be no illusion, – more... though - these jobs are demanding. Fortunately the environment is fun and the work we do is important so it's great to wake up everyday and go to work. The work-life balance is strongly encouraged at all levels, even if we as individuals sometimes have a hard time pulling ourselves away from what we do. The option is always there to focus on the important things in life. You just have to decide for yourself what those are.

Every day is different, but most program related jobs do include a good bit of travel. After all, there are warriors everywhere, not just in the office.

Again, culture is taken very seriously, which is why the hiring process is so long and thorough. Finding someone who is capable of being the best at what they do, but still be able and willing to have fun and maintain impeccable integrity is incredibly important. If this is a job your meant for, it shouldn't be a problem to stick with it.

Advancement is becoming more difficult because there is some incredible talent coming into the organization. Unfortunately, that makes each position and promotion that much more competitive. Ultimately, that's a good thing, right?

Ideas are always welcome, too. Have a good idea? Pass it on. It's highly encouraged! Love that we are always looking for ways to make things better or find better programs and services to offer warriors. There should be no hesitation to share your thoughts.

I also always feel like our leadership is several steps ahead of us. Whenever we float up recommendations, they seem to already have something in the works. It's either uncanny or they are quick to act on our recommendations.

Salaries aren't incredibly high for entry level positions, but that's not why any of us are here. Fat paychecks can be found elsewhere. Fun, Integrity, Loyalty, Innovation, and Service are readily available here and far outweigh the big pay I was earning elsewhere. The benefits are pretty incredible too.

Mark my words - this is the type of organization that will appear in organizational case studies in the near future. Think Jim Collins with Good to Great. And I highly recommend you read the book if you're applying for a job. We put it all to practice.

Go on, give it a go - you won't regret it. – less
Fun, Integrity, loyalty, Innovation, and Service
Manager Warriors to Work IT (East) (Current Employee), Jacksonville, FLNovember 11, 2013
Everyday work day was completely different. Work was mostly reactive not proactive. Rapidly growing company and still working on final processes. All employees are over worked and under staffed. Learned allot about military and disable veterans. Hardest part of the job is the case overload and poor management support and direction. Allot of change in – more... upper management and strategic program direction. The most enjoyable part was getting paid to economically empower and meet our disabled veterans on a daily basis and truly making a difference in veterans and their families lives. – less
Amazing organization
regional director (west) (Former Employee), Seattle, WANovember 5, 2013
Wounded Warrior Project is an amazing organization with a strong culture and exceptional benefits. Unfortunately, the management team doesn't completing consist of people with strong ethics.
#1 VSO to work for
Strategic Partnership Specialist - Under Armour (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDSeptember 9, 2013
Pros: travel and work for heroes
Cons: emotionally draining at times
Work changes day-to-day
Mission never changes
Fast growing and becoming a business
Great organization with a great mission!
Executive Assistant (Current Employee), Washington, DCSeptember 5, 2013
Pros: great organization & mission, great environment & staff.
A typical day at work consists of me supporting various Executives within the organization. Communicating and cross department collaborating is at least 80% of my job. I enjoy working with the other teams as well as the Warriors and their caregivers.

While working at WWP, I've learned the art of patience, be grateful , appreciate loved ones and friends, – more... never take people for granted and live life to the fullest.

I work with the greatest people; they are awesome, fun, hard-working and supportive.

The hardest part of my job is when I realized I need to find a new job.

The most enjoyable part of my job is helping warriors and their families. Seeing them happy and smiling is priceless! – less
Manager
Manager (Former Employee), fieldJune 17, 2013
Cons: horrible management, 60-80 hour work weeks
This is a very poor company to work for, with horrible upper management and leadership. When I started working for Wounded Warrior Project, it was still a small non profit and really had a grassroots feel to it and cared about the warriors first and foremost above all else. This is not the case anymore. WWP is leading the american public to believe – more... one thing, honoring and empowering Wounded warriors, but really only cares about fundraising and the warrior does not come first anymore. Also, warriors are not treated equally or fairly within the programs of WWP. Gender and disability are looked at and judged in regards to program involvement and campaigning to the american public for donations.
I am a wounded warrior myself, and this is what is most disheartening to me. It is extremely hard to move up in this organization, unless you are in the "in" crowd with the executive team and do not raise your voice or concerns regarding warriors or their policies.
You will work long hours, 60-80 hours a week and will not get paid overtime because you are on a salary. There can be a lot of travel, depending on which job you take, and the benefits are decent. WWP will fire employees for reasons unknown to the person being fired, without any prior knowledge of their wrongdoings. They will not tell the rest of the company when they let an employee go, or why they were let go, which causes large rumor mills to circulate.
Most of WWP's upper leadership is NOT prior military, they are prior lawyers, and over the past two years, WWP has fired a good chunk of warriors without working with them. This company is the bully of all major VSO's in the USA.
Their hiring process is horrible. It will take you 6-7 interviews and 6-12 months to get hired for a position. There will be no follow up at all during this process, and it is extremely hard to get to HR to find out where your application is at. I would stay as far away from this organization as possible. – less
Drink The Kool Aid
manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville FLMay 29, 2013
Pros: compensation
Cons: no ethics, bad management, hollow benefits
There's a "culture" there which is more about getting as much money and free stuff as possible and not at all about helping wounded. And oh, are your wounds visible? Burns, amputations, big scars? If not, you can forget getting to use their services
Awesome company to contract for!
Contractor TTA Information Technology Instructor (Former Employee), Fort Bragg, NCMay 2, 2013
Pros: allow contractor to manage contract as needed.
Cons: i have no cons. this was the best job i ever had.
I really can not discuss any information about WWP due to the nature of our Mutual Non-disclosure agreement.
Duncan Security
temp (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 31, 2013
Pros: everything
Amazing company to work for. The people and customers are great. Due to economy issues, I was laid off
Helped Wounded Warrior Spouses awesome job
Project Manager (Former Employee), Jacksonville, FLSeptember 17, 2012
Pros: i interacted with many family members that had similar hardships, event coordinating, and traveled all over the us.
Cons: worked well over 40 hrs a week which cut into my family time as a mother.
I was in charge of taking all applications for Wounded Warrior Spouses and pick the best qualified for the retreats that we facilitated. I would then facilitate the retreats as far as travel, lodging, food, and activities. I would also book counselors for our retreats that were qualified in Veterans Care. I then would keep in touch with the participates – more... and give them all the information they needed for the retreats. I would be the main contact and travel to the retreats and master mind all the activities as scheduled and was there for any thing the participates needed. I also did fundraising for this company and was the event coordinator for any events in my area, which was Ft. Campbell, Clarksville, and Nashville areas. I was also a national spokesperson for this organization when needed as I was once a Caregiver myself to a severely Wounded Veteran. – less

nadzamse – October 21, 2012

I applied for this job, any tips? I have been wanting work with Wounded Warrior ever since I first heard about them. I will be graduating from college in the spring and I absolutely believe I can do this job. Any helpful tips about getting the interview?

Not a good work to place.
Peer Mentor Trainer (Former Employee), San Antonio, TXAugust 25, 2012
Pros: good money
Cons: everything else
Its not about the warrior. Its about the bottom dollar. They dont know what its to be a warrior and try to work for a company like this. They just dont know.

Renay – September 22, 2012

That is very unfortunate. What is the salary for this type of position?

– November 30, 2012

It is not a good place to work. They have turned into just a money hungry organization. It is about the money and not about all warriors. It is truly unfortunate that they so changed - it wasn't like that at the beginning. Maybe they don't get warriors because practically none of the uppermanagement are warriors or even served in the military in anyway, shape or form.

DKDK – April 3, 2013

I have seen the full board of directors and 97% of the current board members are ex-military and 54% of them are wounded veterans. I don't know where your information comes from, but clearly you are a disgruntled former employee or disingenuous at best. By the way, what was your combat experience, because the people I have seen on the WWP All have the goods. Do you?