WPX Energy Employee Reviews

Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 19, 2016
Enjoyed the department and team I worked with, productive and fun work atmosphere. Work place was nice, and benefits were great, wouldn't have left other than being laid off.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Laid off
Excellent
IT SOX Compliance and Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 18, 2016
I have enjoyed my 9 years here at WPX Energy and would recommend it to anyone. Management is interested in your work and shows knowledge of the daily functions in the areas that you work.
Great place to work!
SENIOR VOLUME ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 21, 2016
Daily scheduling of upstream gas out of the Piceance basin. Great place to work and awesome co-workers. Overall company atmosphere was always upbeat and inspiring.
Need to stay in CO
Engineering Department Field Tech and Echometer (Current Employee) –  Parachute, COMay 27, 2016
Wish they would not have sold out the Colorado portion. It was a good place to work with great benefits and compensation. Well thought out decisions with the current economic climate.
Evolving Company during an industry downswing
Senior Joint Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2016
Good Company with solid leadership and forward thinkers. They know that their company is only as good as the employees they have and they take care of those employees.

You are expected to do the job you are hired to do. Communication is encouraged and mentoring is offered to employees that want to learn more about the industry.
Pros
healthcare, 401K
Cons
cutbacks in the industry - this is a great company to work for
Great people make a great place to work
Land Data Tech and Lead (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2015
Having been surrounded by the best of the best, WPX embodied the concept of "our people are our greatest asset". The level of expertise and experience are unparalleled anywhere in the industry. Very sad to see the Denver office closed and all that talent scattered to the four winds.
Productive and fun workplace
Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed working for WPX Energy
I learned a lot about the gas and oil industry
The management team was very competent and hard-working
I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers
The most challenging part was working remotely
The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and being challenged
Fun place to work with very flexible schedule
Natural Gas Trader (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 22, 2015
Trade morning position, schedule pipelines and input trades and arrange in deal system for accounting. Trade seasonal positions and clear an errors for accounting
Pros
flexibility
Cons
cliques
WPX was a great place to work until downsizing was required
Client Support Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2015
The overall culture of WPX was positive and employees sought to accomplish tasks effectively while following procedures to get the right results the right way. It was a great place to work, but unfortunately the economic down turn within the Oil and Gas industry affected their finances which led to corporate downsizing and the closure of the Denver office. Communication and planning regarding the results and processing of this change left something to be desired and later information regarding company purchases was also very frustrating.

The Denver office was a relatively small portion of the company staff and had a very close relationship between IT and the end users. We fomented positive relations and thorough communication and were quite pleased with the results.
Pros
Experienced users able to learn solutions and mitigate their own issues, Personal freedom involving very little micro management
Cons
Poor communication, leadership changes, and local closures
Stable work, fun team, little room for advancement, but steady raises
Administrative Assistant, Records (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2015
My day was usually taken up with sorting, scanning and filing oil and gas well documents. To many this might seem to be tedium to the nth power, but I enjoyed the detail work and being able to move at my own pace;being allowed to listen to music helped.

Occasionally, a special project would come up. These would range from special scanning jobs up to assisting in company-wide moves to another building a couple blocks away or to the recent mass layoff where much logistical support was required in disposing of unneeded office supplies and furniture and coordinating for the shredding of many bins of documents.

The time I spent at Williams/WPX showed me that there is a need for tedious, detail-oriented work on a consistent basis and that accurate record keeping is vital to a company's survival and legal protection.

By and large my co-workers and I had the same sense of humor and got along very well with little drama and stress. Management was for the most part "hands off" and I was able complete my records work as I saw fit.

The hardest part of the job was usually the commute, but that improved after I moved to a location that was more mass transit friendly. I began to look into other ways of improving my skill set, but only a vague idea that some technical writing might crop up in the future was mentioned. Nothing ever came of it and since most other positions were for engineers and geologists I stayed put.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job was that I could be myself and be lauded for my steady attention to detail. I could decorate my cube the way I wanted and
  more... the lunch breaks accommodated my workout schedule.  less
Pros
Relaxed work atmosphere, good benefits, great people
Cons
Not much room outside of Records, but I enjoyed the work
Great Company
Field Office Administrator II Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minot, NDAugust 4, 2015
This is a great company with even greater people!!! This company is very family orientated, I would have loved to continue to work for this company.
Pros
Great people to work with!
Cons
They moved my department to Tulsa, and I was not able to reloacte my family.
WPX Energy going bankrupt
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJuly 6, 2015
The stock went down another 5% today. The internal rumors are that the company is going bankrupt. I need to get out before management dissolves the company. I do not want to go through bankruptcy with this company. They need better management and more funds. Bankruptcy is definitely coming shortly. I sold all my stock at a loss today just to get out of it before it becomes worthless.
Pros
Cons
Bankruptcy shortly
Good company to work for.
Measurement Technician (Former Employee) –  Parachute, COJune 11, 2015
If you aren't related to someone or best friends from the 3rd grade, good luck getting hired on with them. It's a pretty good ole boys type organization. If you can get in, work hard and keep your nose down. Great benefits and compensation.
Up and coming oil and gas industry company
Geological Technician I (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 6, 2015
Worked at WPX previously as Geological Technician and Sr.Administrative Assistant, but I also have Human Resources Coordinator experience.

Company is good to work for, but in industry downsizing, I was laid off from there in March.
WPX Energy
Land Data Tech II (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 1, 2015
WPX is a good company to work for, especially if you live in Tulsa, OK. They do care about good benefits, even if the salaries a bit low. The people I worked with were absolutely great. They do believe in doing the right thing, even though the industry downturn has put quite a few people out of work.
Lots of uncertainty and shuffling of people
Reservoir Engineer, Appalachian Basin (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 10, 2015
Am sure of where we are going. Not sure if will get there. We know about the layoffs - but don't know the reasoning. I am getting the most out of work by mentoring with another engineer. He helps me with the science and I help him with software especially database (Access).
Pros
good severance
Cons
isolated
Young Oil & Gas Producer- Lots of potential
Sourcing Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Parachute, COFebruary 6, 2015
As spun off from Williams, this company has a world of opportunity ahead of it. It is at times a little wrapped up in what is termed as the "Good Old Boy" world. Everyone knows everyone, and business flows with those mixes most of the time. This is good and bad at times. Management is young at the local levels, but boasts many combined years of experience. There are many positions with under qualified people in them, sadly.
Pros
benefits, work life balance
Cons
advancement, salary w/ respect to competitors, politics driven environment
Good work environment
Division Order Analyst I (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 2, 2014
I enjoyed working at Williams/WPX Energy. I enjoyed the work environment and I gained a lot of knowledge of the oil and gas industry, particularly in the Joint Interest Billing and Division Orders departments.
Great people and wonderful experience
Sourcing Specialist Sr for WPX Energy and Williams (Former Employee) –  Cannonsburg, Pa, Denver, CO, Parachute, CoAugust 27, 2013
Fast paced, work smarter not harder, upper mgmt good, co workers great, ensuring SOX requirements, adrenal rush fast paced challenges
Pros
most everything
Cons
local director lacked knowledge of o & g industry, and some major amnesia regarding large budgetary items, both made unnecessary challenges in an already challenging environment
Fun and Relaxing Place
Data Processor (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMarch 12, 2012
I enjoyed the managers and the atmosphere the job was great and I wish I was still able to be there.