WPX Energy Employee Reviews

Best Place I've ever worked
Sr. Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 13, 2017
I loved this position!!

I would come in and start the coffee each day for my group. There were an AMAZING group of people to work for. We became a family and I considered them my family. So much respect and love for this group of people.
Pros
Great Benefits and work life balance!!!
Cons
Going home at night.
Changing E&P Company with Clear Strategic Plan
Sr NGL Trader (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 23, 2017
WPX is well into its transition from a natural gas company to a crude oil company. They have aggressively pursued this strategy with resulted in a change in personnel needed and a change in culture. They continue to offer a good work life balance and it is a good place to work.
Pros
Potential for Growth
Cons
Volitility of Energy Industry and need to still cut more cost
Family oriented but unstable
Invoice Analyst (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKMay 10, 2017
If you want a company that's in downtown Tulsa with name recognition and good benefits, this is the company for you. The oil & gas industry is very up & down, so be prepared to be laid-off at some point in your career.
Pros
Good culture, work at your own pace, few meetings
Cons
Lay-offs & good ol' boy network
Unorganized, borderline chaotic work environment
Production Operations Engineer (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKApril 17, 2017
Poorly run organization. Trying to balance the work environment at the corporate level and the field level are two very different things that take getting used to.
I loved working for this company
Operations Engineer II (Former Employee) –  Parachute, COJanuary 26, 2017
It has probably changed since I was there, but it was a great place. Very organized with good talent and personalities at the management level. You set goals at the beginning of each year which are great motivation for your bonus which is based a lot on personal performance. They care about innovating, rewarding people who know how to optimize and make things better there. People in general were happy there, you had good job satisfaction. Very good pay and benefits, above industry standard

Only real downside was trying to move around in the company since it isn't very big. Not a lot of advancement opportunities both upward and lateral since people don't leave the company a lot
Pros
Organized, efficient, innovative, great pay and benefits, they care about you as an employee, good management and overall people
Cons
Poor opportunities for advancement (both upward and lateral)
Great people and atmosphere
Sr. Accountant (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJanuary 15, 2017
room for lateral movement and learning. Lots of great people

Located in the BOK building has great offices and floor space. located near many other similar companies.
Administation
Temp through AcctKnowledge (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKOctober 5, 2016
Set up Administation department. Set up filing system, developed documents on PC, train administration temps, letters. I was only temp and they kept us in a locked area due to the confidential nature of our work.
A good place to start and learn
Senior technician (Current Employee) –  Aztec, NMOctober 3, 2016
Poor management and no appreciation for employees who are not in management roles. Field operators are expected to do more each day while more benefits are taken away every chance management finds a legal loophole. I would not recommend the San Juan basin of WPX as a place to work.
Pros
Fewer each day
Cons
Poor schedule, no paid drive time, poor compensation.
Productive and fun place to work
Administrative Assistant - Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 19, 2016
Enjoyed the department and team I worked with, productive and fun work atmosphere. Work place was nice, and benefits were great, wouldn't have left other than being laid off.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Laid off
Excellent
IT SOX Compliance and Change Manager (Current Employee) –  Tulsa, OKAugust 18, 2016
I have enjoyed my 9 years here at WPX Energy and would recommend it to anyone. Management is interested in your work and shows knowledge of the daily functions in the areas that you work.
Great place to work!
SENIOR VOLUME ANALYST (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKJune 21, 2016
Daily scheduling of upstream gas out of the Piceance basin. Great place to work and awesome co-workers. Overall company atmosphere was always upbeat and inspiring.
Good Job with Excellent Compensation
Procurement/Purchasing/Inventory Management (Current Employee) –  WPX Energy Rocky MountainJune 1, 2016
This is a great place to work with great compensation, only downside is the stability.

A typical day for me is negotiating prices on materials and sourcing out materials for the best price as well as managing a multi million dollar inventory. I also do a lot of cost/maintenance and regulatory reporting. I am also responsible for office management and many other tasks.
Need to stay in CO
Engineering Department Field Tech and Echometer (Current Employee) –  Parachute, COMay 27, 2016
Wish they would not have sold out the Colorado portion. It was a good place to work with great benefits and compensation. Well thought out decisions with the current economic climate.
Evolving Company during an industry downswing
Senior Joint Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Oklahoma City, OKApril 25, 2016
Good Company with solid leadership and forward thinkers. They know that their company is only as good as the employees they have and they take care of those employees.

You are expected to do the job you are hired to do. Communication is encouraged and mentoring is offered to employees that want to learn more about the industry.
Pros
healthcare, 401K
Cons
cutbacks in the industry - this is a great company to work for
Great company
Accounting & Produxtion Reporting Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Gillette, WYFebruary 24, 2016
Great co--workers, flexible, great benefits.
Family oriented. Enjoyable -Customer satisfaction at the end of the day.
Cons
Great people make a great place to work
Land Data Tech and Lead (Former Employee) –  Denver, CONovember 2, 2015
Having been surrounded by the best of the best, WPX embodied the concept of "our people are our greatest asset". The level of expertise and experience are unparalleled anywhere in the industry. Very sad to see the Denver office closed and all that talent scattered to the four winds.
Productive and fun workplace
Environmental Health and Safety Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Denver, COOctober 6, 2015
I enjoyed working for WPX Energy
I learned a lot about the gas and oil industry
The management team was very competent and hard-working
I thoroughly enjoyed my co-workers
The most challenging part was working remotely
The most enjoyable part was my co-workers and being challenged
Fun place to work with very flexible schedule
Natural Gas Trader (Former Employee) –  Tulsa, OKSeptember 22, 2015
Trade morning position, schedule pipelines and input trades and arrange in deal system for accounting. Trade seasonal positions and clear an errors for accounting
Pros
flexibility
Cons
cliques
WPX was a great place to work until downsizing was required
Client Support Analyst III (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2015
The overall culture of WPX was positive and employees sought to accomplish tasks effectively while following procedures to get the right results the right way. It was a great place to work, but unfortunately the economic down turn within the Oil and Gas industry affected their finances which led to corporate downsizing and the closure of the Denver office. Communication and planning regarding the results and processing of this change left something to be desired and later information regarding company purchases was also very frustrating.

The Denver office was a relatively small portion of the company staff and had a very close relationship between IT and the end users. We fomented positive relations and thorough communication and were quite pleased with the results.
Pros
Experienced users able to learn solutions and mitigate their own issues, Personal freedom involving very little micro management
Cons
Poor communication, leadership changes, and local closures
Stable work, fun team, little room for advancement, but steady raises
Administrative Assistant, Records (Former Employee) –  Denver, COSeptember 10, 2015
My day was usually taken up with sorting, scanning and filing oil and gas well documents. To many this might seem to be tedium to the nth power, but I enjoyed the detail work and being able to move at my own pace;being allowed to listen to music helped.

Occasionally, a special project would come up. These would range from special scanning jobs up to assisting in company-wide moves to another building a couple blocks away or to the recent mass layoff where much logistical support was required in disposing of unneeded office supplies and furniture and coordinating for the shredding of many bins of documents.

The time I spent at Williams/WPX showed me that there is a need for tedious, detail-oriented work on a consistent basis and that accurate record keeping is vital to a company's survival and legal protection.

By and large my co-workers and I had the same sense of humor and got along very well with little drama and stress. Management was for the most part "hands off" and I was able complete my records work as I saw fit.

The hardest part of the job was usually the commute, but that improved after I moved to a location that was more mass transit friendly. I began to look into other ways of improving my skill set, but only a vague idea that some technical writing might crop up in the future was mentioned. Nothing ever came of it and since most other positions were for engineers and geologists I stayed put.

The most enjoyable aspect of the job was that I could be myself and be lauded for my steady attention to detail. I could decorate my cube the way I wanted and
  more... the lunch breaks accommodated my workout schedule.  less
Pros
Relaxed work atmosphere, good benefits, great people
Cons
Not much room outside of Records, but I enjoyed the work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WPX Energy. Our community is ready to answer.