WSSC Employee Reviews

Enjoying what I am doing
Senior Chemist (Current Employee) –  Silver Spring, MDNovember 11, 2017
Laboratory location and building is very nice. Laboratory is equipped with very good instruments and required tools. Everyone stays busy in normal routine work. There is plenty to learn at this location.
Internship
Administrative Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 11, 2017
I was only an intern at this company but I enjoyed my time there. The job was fun and always eventful. I was able to go to different job sites and also some editing of reports and audio.
Pros
Fun atmosphere
Cons
not long enough
Average Employee has 20 plus years
Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDOctober 2, 2017
WSSC Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission.
Good place to work, Great Retirement benefits. employees on average have 20 plus years at WSSC. Multiple job locations and opportunities.
Pros
Retirement benefits
Cons
Most employees have 20 plus years
It's the government
Internship (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 29, 2017
It's the government. Its a government job and exactly what you would expect from a government job. No real complaints about the company, people at this place are nice.
Pros
government job
Cons
government job
The work place was enjoyable and fun.
Procurement Specialist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 22, 2017
The days were good. I learned how to work as a team. Management was amazing. The culture is wonderful. There was no hard part of work at this company.
Interesting place to work
Safey (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 14, 2017
This organization is responsible for water quality in two major counties in Maryland. There is a good camaraderie of employees and staff members. There is also a unique workplace culture.
Its a ok company to work for "just ok "
Facility Technician (Current Employee) –  Accokeek, MDAugust 8, 2017
Pay is good compared to other utilities .
Benefits are good compared to other companies.
Training is good compared to other companies.

Management is poor and corrupt and there is no leadership.
Moral is poor.
No room for upward mobility.
There is no team atmosphere. "You are on your own"
Opportunities are not the same for all.
Pros
Pay, benefits, leave, training
Cons
Lack of leadership, moral, guidance, equal opportunities, teamwork, nepotism
Over-all great company to work for and I love providing service for life's most precious resource. Water
Collection Technician III. Duties (Current Employee) –  Temple Hills, MDAugust 6, 2017
WSSC has truly been a career oriented job. It has offered many means of further education and on the job training. The company has supported efforts with training for and receiving certifications needed to continually advance in my career. The culture of the company has declined over the last couple of decades for several different reasons. The main reason for their decline has been too much turn-over at management levels (especially senior management). We are also battling an aging "labor" force. This makes our day to day operations more strenuous and challenging. The most difficult part of my job would be dealing with the constant turnover at the management level that often results in changing directions. Too much change can be counter-productive for a company and generally affects the consumer. Over-all, I enjoy my career and see no reason why I wouldn't stay until I am eligible for retirement. I look forward to being an asset over the next decade and hopefully assist in reversing these trends.
Pros
Benefits, Training, Stability
Cons
Management turn-over, complacency
Working at wssc
Water Plant Operator (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MD 20707July 30, 2017
A typical day as a water plant operator is preforming duties to make sure that water coming in to the plant is cleaned the proper way to provide the cleanest water to our customers.
Pros
Good learning experience
Cons
No cons
Secure, but no growth opportunity exists
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDJune 26, 2017
WSSC is a great place to work, and under new leadership, is improving. With that said, the areas that are bad are absolutely horrible. If you are looking purely for job security, WSSC is the place to be. If you seek to grow in your career, are looking for a culture of excellence, and a place that's on the cutting edge of technology and best practices - look elsewhere, as that is not the case at WSSC. Overall; however, great company and benefits, with good people for the most part.
Pros
Benefits, coworkers
Cons
Lack of excellence across the board, zero accountability, very little chance of career growth
Very nice place to work if i was not retired i would go back for a job
Crew Leader (Former Employee) –  MarylandApril 25, 2017
Be on/TIME.Get assigment.Get organize,have positive attitude,Be helpfull and a team player.Try to be independent performing my .Approach the daily assigmint with a positive maner.
Cons
Good place to work, willing to train you (some positions), good benefits.
Administrative Assistant1 (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDApril 6, 2017
A great place to work. They have good benefits though a little more money would have been welcomed. I left knowing that I learned a lot about something I never knew anything about. (i.e. water meters, plumbing, valves) I worked with a lot of different people over the years & feel this was the most enjoyable part of my employment. The hardest part of my employment was working in the field on bad weather days. Had to deal with muddy construction sites. Also hard was accessing meters in crawl spaces. Cramped & dirty. During a typical day, I interacted with plumbers, contractors & builders. I found my bosses to be fair in their decisions.
Benefits
Cons
Lazy co-workers who did not want to "go the extra mile".
Place will keep you on toes
Utility Tech 3 (Former Employee) –  Gaithersburg, MDMarch 8, 2017
Had a great 24 years there and really do miss the fellow employees. There were the hard and cold times and the really fun times too.
You will learn a lot working here and it will help you down the rooad. Just hang in there and it does get better as the years add up.
Training and Support
Sr. Chemist/Microbiologist (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 1, 2016
Good training and benefits Very good professional intern programs. The company provide on the job training for the various positions. The benefits are health insurances, and a pension plan that most companies do not have today. The company offers 457 plans similar to 401 k plan along with the pension plan.
Pros
pension plans, and on the job training
Cons
There are some bias, discrimination in some of the departments, They need a universal training program, because some of the employees refuses to train the new employees for the job that they were hired.
Security, but lack of growth and/or advancement opportunities
Mgmt Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDMarch 22, 2016
The people are a plus; it's a great team of workers with immense potential. A great place to work if you are seeking security only. If you are looking for a place to grow; however, it leaves much to be desired. It's not uncommon to find folk in the same positions for decades, and happy to be there. The benefits are decent, and the compensation is okay.

New leadership has arrived and the future looks bright...it's a good time to come on board.
Pros
New leadership, decent benefits, good people
Cons
Little to no room for growth and/or advancement
not bad as long as you dont work at piscataway wwtp
Facilities Technician (Current Employee) –  Accokeek, MDMarch 3, 2016
ive been lied to from managment everyday the plant superintendent makes up a new rule and there is no reward for hard work there is actually incentive to be lazy!!!!
Pros
easy job you can be very lazy if thats your thing (not mine)
Cons
no incentive to work hard or reward for hard work
It was a dream job as far as working with the employees
Occupational Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 19, 2015
When I first was hired I thought I was actually in nurse heaven. There was really nothing in place so it was a blank slate except for poorly written policies and of course the DOT, OSHA and other Federal regulations that the industry had to (begrudgingly) follow. So I rolled up my sleeves and got to work, going out into the field where the actual workers were, something the previous nurse didn't do to often, and did classes on health matters that not only were impacting the guys and gals getting their CDL cards, but their lives as well. They were watching peers retiring young, only to die months later of cancer, or strokes. They all had family members with either diabetes or cardiovascular disease and saw the ravages those diseases cause, so I went about just giving little impromptu classes, encouraging the folks to come by my office to get their blood pressures checked, or letting me review their latest lab work with them, was available when they called with personal or family issues and tried to refer them to the correct resources. It truly was just wonderful.

but.....
The organization is a quasi-government agency, thus it has used that position to do some of the most corrupt things you can imagine. The number of lawsuits filed against the Commission by both current and past employees is unbelievable. If rate payers knew how much money the WSSC spent paying out to settle employee claims (mostly due to horrible management actions) I do believe they would be more than a little angry. I think I will just leave it at that.
Pros
wonderful workforce. great freedom to develop and implement teaching programs
Cons
incompetent and corrupt management.
Great
Jr. Financial Budget Analyst (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDNovember 4, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management. Not all about the numbers, but how you personally grew and develop. Very enjoyable.
Your Last Stop Before Retirement
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MarylandAugust 26, 2015
A typical quasi-government, bi-county organization where most of the people in the working with you are either related or friends or have become best friends over the course of their 20+ years of working at the same place.
Pros
Stable industry, Great Benefits
Cons
Country club atmosphere, Slow to initiate new ideas
Archiac practices, old policies, poor management
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Laurel, MDAugust 25, 2015
Exempt employees are treated like non exempt employees. No teleworking or flexibility. They do not promote high employee moral and don't focus on retention.
Pros
Job Security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WSSC. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9