Wyoming Department of Corrections Employee Reviews in United States

It pays Money
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lusk, WYMay 12, 2016
If you can do something else do it very poor management detached from caring about staff. they over work staff have staff with zero experience making decisions very poorly run.
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Different type of environment.
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYAugust 7, 2015
Dealing with felons is not for everyone. Having to work in a group of 100+ inmates can be very stressful and chaotic. I enjoyed the time I worked at WDOC. Learning from staff about what can go wrong and what to do right is the most knowledgeable thing I can use towards my future. Helping inmates understand the difference between right and wrong and setting a standard most of them did not have growing up was the most accomplished feeling.
Excellent learning experience
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Torrington, WYJune 17, 2015
Working as a Corrections Officer taught me many lessons that I employ regularly. It gave me new strategies to communicate with people, patience to deal with difficult individuals and an open mind to understand other's issues. The hours were long while I worked night shift but I appreciated the ability to work independently. My supervisor quickly recognized my work ethic and put me in supervisory positions. I was a vital member of crisis management and enjoyed any opportunity presented.
Pros
goody benefits, lots of time off, learning experience
Cons
night shift
State of WYoming
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJune 12, 2015
Working for the state of Wyoming is a great experience. Working for the department of corrections was an interesting break from my previous field
Not a bad place to work.
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WyApril 15, 2015
Although the managers were inept at times, the upper management were professional. I found that the WDOC was beneficial in getting some good experience. It is difficult to live in a desolate state like Wyoming though.
Very interesting work
Correctional Officer Trainee (Former Employee) –  RawlinsApril 6, 2015
Book work and class assignments in morning every day learning of department policy and procedure. After class Physical Training for a hour or two. Was by far one of the best teams I have ever been a part of with outstanding coworkers. The hardest part of the job for me was the PT testing. I had an issue moving there from Michigan and the altitude change.
Corrections is a good place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  WYNovember 19, 2014
I'm trying to get into policing and security I have a concealed weapons permit as well. In the department at CCA, I made it all the way to Shift Supervisor. I was also on Special Response Teams as well. I did the SORT Team for four years. Also certified with the Colorado Department of Corrections for the sort team. I want to work out side the department as in security.
Pros
worked with a lot of good people
Cons
far away from home to be working
good employer
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  wyomingOctober 15, 2014
Monitor inmates and provide security for inmates and staff. Great benefits.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, WYOctober 7, 2014
Great staff great job great life lesson enjoyed working there
Job Security
INDUSTRIES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYApril 14, 2014
Working at a Maximum Security prison always allows for job security.
Great Place to Work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYMarch 25, 2014
Correctional officers maintain security and inmate accountability to prevent disturbances, assaults, and escapes. Correctional officers maintain order within the institution and enforce rules and regulations. To help ensure that inmates are orderly and obey rules, correctional officers monitor the activities and supervise the work assignments of inmates. Sometimes, officers must search inmates and their living quarters for contraband like weapons or drugs, settle disputes between inmates, and enforce discipline. Correctional officers periodically inspect the facilities, checking cells and other areas of the institution for unsanitary conditions, contraband, fire hazards, and any evidence of infractions of rules. In addition, they routinely inspect locks, window bars, grilles, doors, and gates for signs of tampering. Finally, officers inspect mail and visitors for prohibited items. Duties vary by institution and custody level.
Pros
great benefits and pay, small towns
Cons
poor moral, small towns
Good Job Security
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJune 12, 2013
I have learned to be very respectful with authority. I was responsible for counting and keeping track of the Inmates with a log book. I didn't always like when a fight would break out It made me nervous it could be a fellow Officer getting hurt. I did like having co-workers who always had my back in any situation.
Pros
free food from the kitchen.
Cons
no leaving site for break
Could be treated better
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJanuary 11, 2013
The hire anyone and everyone pays pretty good but the cost of living in the city is very high. The upper management doesn't care about anyone but themselves.
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible upper management and very high cost of lving
Overall, this is a challenging place to work just due to the atmosphere of the institution.
Trades Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYNovember 12, 2012
Typical day is 10 to 11 hours, starting with preparation for the morning meeting with the trades specialists about specific jobs, safety and scheduling. Work can be strenuous at times due to the small staff of Maintenance personnel (15) and the demands of a correctional facility. We receive anywhere from 60 to 30 work requests per day, form hanging pictures to removing sand between the security fences, installing new security cameras, maintaining kitchen equipment and boilers. Management is demanding but supportive for the most part. Co-workers are a highly trained staff and accomplish many tasks within a minimal period of time. They are easy to communicate with and are dedicated. Probably the hardest part of the job is making every body happy at the same time. But we prioritize by life/safety/security issues to the frivolous things. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the dedicated, motivated and intelligent individuals that are my co-workers.
Pros
training, paid vacation and holidays that i can spend with family and the people i get to work with.
Cons
no pay raise for the past three years and we live so far from family.
Controlled work enviroment
Senior Electrician/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Rawlins, WYNovember 4, 2012
It's a government facility, it's ran accordingly. Co-workers are excellent, knowledgeable, and fun. Most days are busy doing routine maintenance.
Pros
1hr lunchs
Cons
on-call 24/7
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYJune 6, 2012
I work in correctional setting working on different facets of plumbing maintenance.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a