Wyoming Department of Corrections

Wyoming Department of Corrections Employee Reviews

Not a bad place to work.
Case Worker (Former Employee), Rawlins, WyApril 15, 2015
Although the managers were inept at times, the upper management were professional. I found that the WDOC was beneficial in getting some good experience. It is difficult to live in a desolate state like Wyoming though.
Very interesting work
Correctional Officer Trainee (Former Employee), RawlinsApril 6, 2015
Book work and class assignments in morning every day learning of department policy and procedure. After class Physical Training for a hour or two. Was by far one of the best teams I have ever been a part of with outstanding coworkers. The hardest part of the job for me was the PT testing. I had an issue moving there from Michigan and the altitude change.
Corrections is a good place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), WYNovember 19, 2014
Pros: worked with a lot of good people
Cons: far away from home to be working
I'm trying to get into policing and security I have a concealed weapons permit as well. In the department at CCA, I made it all the way to Shift Supervisor. I was also on Special Response Teams as well. I did the SORT Team for four years. Also certified with the Colorado Department of Corrections for the sort team. I want to work out side the department as in security.
good employer
Corrections Officer (Former Employee), wyomingOctober 15, 2014
Monitor inmates and provide security for inmates and staff. Great benefits.
Correctional Officer (Former Employee), Newcastle, WYOctober 7, 2014
Great staff great job great life lesson enjoyed working there
Job Security
INDUSTRIES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee), Rawlins, WYApril 14, 2014
Working at a Maximum Security prison always allows for job security.
Good Job Security
Officer (Former Employee), Rawlins, WYJune 12, 2013
Pros: free food from the kitchen.
Cons: no leaving site for break
I have learned to be very respectful with authority. I was responsible for counting and keeping track of the Inmates with a log book. I didn't always like when a fight would break out It made me nervous it could be a fellow Officer getting hurt. I did like having co-workers who always had my back in any situation.
Could be treated better
Correctional Officer (Current Employee), Rawlins, WYJanuary 11, 2013
Pros: good pay
Cons: horrible upper management and very high cost of lving
The hire anyone and everyone pays pretty good but the cost of living in the city is very high. The upper management doesn't care about anyone but themselves.
Overall, this is a challenging place to work just due to the atmosphere of the institution.
Trades Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee), Torrington, WYNovember 12, 2012
Pros: training, paid vacation and holidays that i can spend with family and the people i get to work with.
Cons: no pay raise for the past three years and we live so far from family.
Typical day is 10 to 11 hours, starting with preparation for the morning meeting with the trades specialists about specific jobs, safety and scheduling. Work can be strenuous at times due to the small staff of Maintenance personnel (15) and the demands of a correctional facility. We receive anywhere from 60 to 30 work requests per day, form hanging pictures to removing sand between the security fences, installing new security cameras, maintaining kitchen equipment and boilers. Management is demanding but supportive for the most part. Co-workers are a highly trained staff and accomplish many tasks within a minimal period of time. They are easy to communicate with and are dedicated. Probably the hardest part of the job is making every body happy at the same time. But we prioritize by life/safety/security issues to the frivolous things. The most enjoyable part of the job is working with the dedicated, motivated and intelligent individuals that are my co-workers.
Controlled work enviroment
Senior Electrician/Maintenance (Current Employee), Rawlins, WYNovember 4, 2012
Pros: 1hr lunchs
Cons: on-call 24/7
It's a government facility, it's ran accordingly. Co-workers are excellent, knowledgeable, and fun. Most days are busy doing routine maintenance.
n/a
Plumber (Current Employee), Torrington, WYJune 6, 2012
Pros: n/a
Cons: n/a
I work in correctional setting working on different facets of plumbing maintenance.

Wyoming Department of Corrections Salaries