Wyoming Department of Corrections Employee Reviews in United States

Easy job
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYAugust 24, 2015
I supervised inmates on a daily basis. I made sure they didn't fight, steal, or make things they weren't supposed to. It was a very simple job. 4 days on, 4 days off. Vacation time, plenty of OT if you wanted it, good pay for the work you do. Not great management. My biggest complaint is the staff. The ones who spend time with the supervisors outside of work are the ones who get the best posts and are most likely to promote. And if you are not one to play that game, then you will sit in the least desirable post as an officer your entire career. Rules and standards are constantly changing, so you are always questioning if you will be reprimanded.
Pros
Easy money, 4 days off a week, build your own paycheck
Cons
Nepotism, favoritism, backstabbing, risk of injury every day
Excellent learning experience
Correction Officer (Former Employee) –  Torrington, WYJune 17, 2015
Working as a Corrections Officer taught me many lessons that I employ regularly. It gave me new strategies to communicate with people, patience to deal with difficult individuals and an open mind to understand other's issues. The hours were long while I worked night shift but I appreciated the ability to work independently. My supervisor quickly recognized my work ethic and put me in supervisory positions. I was a vital member of crisis management and enjoyed any opportunity presented.
Pros
goody benefits, lots of time off, learning experience
Cons
night shift
Stable job with decent benefits
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  Torrington, WY 82240May 23, 2016
I worked for the Wyoming Department of Corrections for five years. I would say the overall experience was a good one. I worked with some great people who I became close friends with. Management left a lot to be desired but my co-workers made it easy to perform daily tasks. I learned valuable tasks in talking to people and reading situations. I enjoyed the daily interaction and not knowing what to expect each day.
Pros
12 hour shifts with plenty of time off
Cons
Bad management
It pays Money
Correctional Sergeant (Current Employee) –  Lusk, WYMay 12, 2016
If you can do something else do it very poor management detached from caring about staff. they over work staff have staff with zero experience making decisions very poorly run.
Pros
Free Meal
Cons
Different type of environment.
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYAugust 7, 2015
Dealing with felons is not for everyone. Having to work in a group of 100+ inmates can be very stressful and chaotic. I enjoyed the time I worked at WDOC. Learning from staff about what can go wrong and what to do right is the most knowledgeable thing I can use towards my future. Helping inmates understand the difference between right and wrong and setting a standard most of them did not have growing up was the most accomplished feeling.
Not a bad place to work.
Case Worker (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WyApril 15, 2015
Although the managers were inept at times, the upper management were professional. I found that the WDOC was beneficial in getting some good experience. It is difficult to live in a desolate state like Wyoming though.
Great Place to Work
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYMarch 25, 2014
Correctional officers maintain security and inmate accountability to prevent disturbances, assaults, and escapes. Correctional officers maintain order within the institution and enforce rules and regulations. To help ensure that inmates are orderly and obey rules, correctional officers monitor the activities and supervise the work assignments of inmates. Sometimes, officers must search inmates and their living quarters for contraband like weapons or drugs, settle disputes between inmates, and enforce discipline. Correctional officers periodically inspect the facilities, checking cells and other areas of the institution for unsanitary conditions, contraband, fire hazards, and any evidence of infractions of rules. In addition, they routinely inspect locks, window bars, grilles, doors, and gates for signs of tampering. Finally, officers inspect mail and visitors for prohibited items. Duties vary by institution and custody level.
Pros
great benefits and pay, small towns
Cons
poor moral, small towns
State of WYoming
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJune 12, 2015
Working for the state of Wyoming is a great experience. Working for the department of corrections was an interesting break from my previous field
Very interesting work
Correctional Officer Trainee (Former Employee) –  RawlinsApril 6, 2015
Book work and class assignments in morning every day learning of department policy and procedure. After class Physical Training for a hour or two. Was by far one of the best teams I have ever been a part of with outstanding coworkers. The hardest part of the job for me was the PT testing. I had an issue moving there from Michigan and the altitude change.
Could be treated better
Correctional Officer (Current Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJanuary 11, 2013
The hire anyone and everyone pays pretty good but the cost of living in the city is very high. The upper management doesn't care about anyone but themselves.
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible upper management and very high cost of lving
Corrections is a good place to work
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  WYNovember 19, 2014
I'm trying to get into policing and security I have a concealed weapons permit as well. In the department at CCA, I made it all the way to Shift Supervisor. I was also on Special Response Teams as well. I did the SORT Team for four years. Also certified with the Colorado Department of Corrections for the sort team. I want to work out side the department as in security.
Pros
worked with a lot of good people
Cons
far away from home to be working
good employer
Corrections Officer (Former Employee) –  wyomingOctober 15, 2014
Monitor inmates and provide security for inmates and staff. Great benefits.
Job Security
INDUSTRIES SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYApril 14, 2014
Working at a Maximum Security prison always allows for job security.
Good Job Security
Officer (Former Employee) –  Rawlins, WYJune 12, 2013
I have learned to be very respectful with authority. I was responsible for counting and keeping track of the Inmates with a log book. I didn't always like when a fight would break out It made me nervous it could be a fellow Officer getting hurt. I did like having co-workers who always had my back in any situation.
Pros
free food from the kitchen.
Cons
no leaving site for break
Correctional Officer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle, WYOctober 7, 2014
Great staff great job great life lesson enjoyed working there
Controlled work enviroment
Senior Electrician/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Rawlins, WYNovember 4, 2012
It's a government facility, it's ran accordingly. Co-workers are excellent, knowledgeable, and fun. Most days are busy doing routine maintenance.
Pros
1hr lunchs
Cons
on-call 24/7
Plumber (Current Employee) –  Torrington, WYJune 6, 2012
I work in correctional setting working on different facets of plumbing maintenance.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a