Wyoming Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

was able to work 4 days a week during the summer months.
Driller / Truck Driver (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 1, 2018
Was able to work 4 days aweek during the summer and have three day weekends. Spent all time at work working outside in the ellements, both summer and winter.
Pros
three day weekends
Cons
working in the elemets year round
Great
Summer Intern (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 29, 2018
I loved working for WYDOT and would do it again if it was in my field. But I would much rather get a job in engine design or testing since that is where my passions is.
horrible place to work
Construction and Field Surveying Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, WYOctober 23, 2017
negative culture and work environment. bad management and the place was horrible. people treated you horrible if you had not been there for years. if one person didn't like you you were out
Government Service
Highway Maintenance Technician (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYOctober 10, 2017
The attitude of a maintenance shop depends on it's foreman. A good foreman, or an absentee foreman can make for a relaxed, enjoyable environment. Duties are lined out each morning, and larger projects are planned in advance. Snow changes all plans, and is the best part of the job.
State agency
Janitor or Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJuly 14, 2017
Manager's were rude, not very helpful, no direction. Ok pay, good benefits. Good hours to work. Most coworkers were nice and helpful. Liked the work a lot.
Fun place to work.
Civil Engineering Technician (Former Employee) –  WyomingMay 31, 2017
I performed a lot of materials testing on job sites along with surveying sites. I learned a lot about certain materials and how important accuracy is on the job site. Management was fair and fun guys to work with. The most enjoyable part of the job was being on site and learning bout the construction methods.
Pros
Work varies day to day and is very interesting
Cons
there can be some really slow days
Wydot
Permanent Employee (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 20, 2017
Working for the DOT is a joy can't complain but to many older people with to much time never leave and there's hardly ever any room for promotion to move up
A great place to work!
WyoLink Support Manager (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 14, 2017
This was a fun and challenging place to work, with a great deal of freedom to set my own schedule and perform tasks as I saw fit. There was a great deal of responsibility, but the sense of accomplishment was fantastic!
Great place to work if you like being a rat in a cage
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYFebruary 27, 2017
No one is encouraged to talk to each other. Get to your box and stay there is the basic opinion of management. There is little to no help and teamwork is frowned upon. The Financial services department continually works to keep everyone at odds with each other. The opportunity for advancement is little to none and. Even "team building" days are bring food to share and eat it alone in your box.
Great place to work!
Senior Public Relations Specialist (Current Employee) –  Sheridan, WYJanuary 23, 2017
If I was not relocating I would not leave WYDOT! Great people and great job. WYDOT has provided me with a great job that has been extremely flexible. They have good benefits and are overall a good place to work.
steady
Highway and Snow Plow Operator (Former Employee) –  Sheridan, WYJanuary 4, 2017
40 hours a week except snow plow season then hours are unlimited, your not paid for being on call so half the year your owned by the state, very well maintained equipment
Yikes!
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYJuly 16, 2016
Would be good job if not for politics! I'll just leave it at that. You be the judge. Good secure job. excellent place for non-CDL holders to get their license. Fairly dangerous work.
Great place of employment
Oracle Database Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYMay 6, 2016
Managed requests from Application Programmers and end users. Typically performing database administration duties.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
New Director
Good temporary position
Supervisor/material tester (Former Employee) –  Sundance, WYNovember 20, 2015
Treated me well. Good job to start out in to gain experience for a career. Gained knowledge in two different areas that taught me how to deal with more than one position or title
Wydot
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 3, 2015
As Warehouse Manager at the Wyoming Department of Transportation my duties include
Procuring and storing stock items for the DOT Storeroom to supply DOT locations throughout
the State. Creating Purchase Orders via the WYDOT PeopleSoft ERP System for the stock items.
Cycle Count and control inventory for these items. Also in charge of selling surplus DOT property
IE. vehicles, heavy equipment, furniture, electronic equipment etc. by using a third party auction
website. Publicsurplus.com.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not much training from supervisors
Maintenance worker- TC04 (Former Employee) –  Pinedale, WYAugust 21, 2015
This was a good place to work. I just had to move back to Colorado to be with my family because they did not want to move to Wyoming.
Did alot of different jobs and you have to take a new job to advance.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 20, 2015
This was also a very fast paced job. There is unfortunately no room to advance or grow.

You are just stuck unless you apply for another job and get it.

You can not advance.
Pros
Great fast paced and variety of work.
Cons
No chance to advance or promote yourself.
Great environment
Assistant Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 24, 2015
Lots of cheery faces. I continue to learn new things every day from new programs to new methods. The manager are very competent engineers. Th most enjoyable part of my job is the actual work. Then seeing you project completed.
Pros
Relaxed schedule
Cons
The pace can get slow
secure
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 8, 2015
high productivity for some,very political,lack of promotions or training in field.lax management.co workers ok.slowing productivity.secure check
Pros
secure
Cons
political
Engineer
Design Technician (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 7, 2015
It is a great job for a college student to gain technical experience in the transportation field. I think that it is the best year round job for a University of Wyoming student. It does not pay very well, but it is good enough to get by while in college.
Pros
Office in Engineering building on University of Wyoming Campus
Cons
You must work 20 hours a week and you can't take on a summer internship without quitting.