Wyoming Department of Transportation

Wyoming Department of Transportation Employee Reviews

secure
Mechanic (Former Employee), Cheyenne, WYJanuary 8, 2015
Pros: secure
Cons: political
high productivity for some,very political,lack of promotions or training in field.lax management.co workers ok.slowing productivity.secure check
Engineer
Design Technician (Current Employee), Laramie, WYJanuary 7, 2015
Pros: office in engineering building on university of wyoming campus
Cons: you must work 20 hours a week and you can't take on a summer internship without quitting.
It is a great job for a college student to gain technical experience in the transportation field. I think that it is the best year round job for a University of Wyoming student. It does not pay very well, but it is good enough to get by while in college.
Great place to work if you have a family. Terrible place to work if you like money!
Design Specialist II (Current Employee), Cheyenne, WYDecember 2, 2014
Pros: great people to work with
Cons: poor management and very bad politics
this is a very laid back place to work with some great people to work with. They need more people management minded people for management positions and dealing with the legislature makes it hard to do the work some times.
Upper Management support
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee), Cheyenne, WYNovember 9, 2013
Pros: as a foreman a great place to work.
Cons: as a worker or equipment operator with cdl a bad place to work. bad pay!!
I really enjoyed working for WYDOT, UNTIL, I seen how upper management supports and backs their supervisors!

The poor workers are the ones doing the work and ARE UNDER PAID.
Use to be an enjoyable place to work at
Electrical Technician/ ITS Tech (Former Employee), Casper, wyomingOctober 17, 2013
Pros: working on higher tech devices, traveling and meeting new people
Cons: management expected to much out of one person
My Trypical day would to check all my e-mails, trouble reports, access my web sites to make sure all devices were working. Try to remote trouble shoot sites that needed attendance. Check with our dispatchers for any other trouble calls. Drive to the sites that were down, this may be in my town or across the State. I learned alot from WYDOT. My electrical trouble shooting skills improved and my communications skills improved, I learned the geography of Wyoming. I enjoyed my co-workers, they became my family after working there for 16 years. Hardest part of my job was trying to prove my self to the "male" workers but they took me in after I showed them my work abilities and my knowledge of learning and working just as hard as a man. I enjoyed traveling and seeing all of Wyoming and meeting co-workers from other districts around Wyoming. I enjoyed my job and working on all the higher tech devices. I enjoyed technology!!!
Decent place to work.
Facilities Management (Custodial) (Former Employee), Cheyenne, WYOctober 17, 2012
Work was not too rough and not enough of it to keep me busy all the time.
Positive work environment
Permit Clerk/ Administrative Staff (Current Employee), Rock Springs, WYAugust 15, 2012
Pros: state benefits
Cons: n/a
Assist commercial carrier customers with DOT regulation questions, write permits for oversize/overweight loads, special fuel, and administrative support to WYDOT staff and Highway Patrol.
A great place to work!
Engineer (Current Employee), Cheyenne, WYJune 25, 2012
Pros: 2 breaks/day + lunch (a minimum of 30 minutes)
Cons: no "dress your way day" or incentives for working hard.
The Wyoming Dept. of Transportation is a great place to work. On most days I am able to walk away with a great deal of satisfaction. I've learned many valuable road design skills during my employment. The people are generally great (every job has a few questionable co-workers).
Laid back and secure workplace
Electrical Design Engineer II (Current Employee), Cheyenne, WYApril 2, 2012
Pros: benefits, time off, schedule
Cons: location, pay
- Job Security occasionally results in co-workers that do less work and take extra time. This can be extremely frustrating.

- Management is very casual and not strict so long as the work you do is consistent and on time.

- Pay for Civil Engineers and Electrical Engineers is the same regardless of Market Value.

- Good place to work if you like a very relaxed career.