Wyoming Department of Transportation Employee Reviews in United States

Good temporary position
Supervisor/material tester (Former Employee) –  Sundance, WYNovember 20, 2015
Treated me well. Good job to start out in to gain experience for a career. Gained knowledge in two different areas that taught me how to deal with more than one position or title
Wydot
Warehouse Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 3, 2015
As Warehouse Manager at the Wyoming Department of Transportation my duties include
Procuring and storing stock items for the DOT Storeroom to supply DOT locations throughout
the State. Creating Purchase Orders via the WYDOT PeopleSoft ERP System for the stock items.
Cycle Count and control inventory for these items. Also in charge of selling surplus DOT property
IE. vehicles, heavy equipment, furniture, electronic equipment etc. by using a third party auction
website. Publicsurplus.com.
Pros
Autonomy
Cons
Not much training from supervisors
Maintenance worker- TC04 (Former Employee) –  Pinedale, WYAugust 21, 2015
This was a good place to work. I just had to move back to Colorado to be with my family because they did not want to move to Wyoming.
Did alot of different jobs and you have to take a new job to advance.
Administrative Specialist (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 20, 2015
This was also a very fast paced job. There is unfortunately no room to advance or grow.

You are just stuck unless you apply for another job and get it.

You can not advance.
Pros
Great fast paced and variety of work.
Cons
No chance to advance or promote yourself.
Great environment
Assistant Squad Leader (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 24, 2015
Lots of cheery faces. I continue to learn new things every day from new programs to new methods. The manager are very competent engineers. Th most enjoyable part of my job is the actual work. Then seeing you project completed.
Pros
Relaxed schedule
Cons
The pace can get slow
secure
Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJanuary 8, 2015
high productivity for some,very political,lack of promotions or training in field.lax management.co workers ok.slowing productivity.secure check
Pros
secure
Cons
political
Engineer
Design Technician (Current Employee) –  Laramie, WYJanuary 7, 2015
It is a great job for a college student to gain technical experience in the transportation field. I think that it is the best year round job for a University of Wyoming student. It does not pay very well, but it is good enough to get by while in college.
Pros
office in engineering building on university of wyoming campus
Cons
you must work 20 hours a week and you can't take on a summer internship without quitting.
Great place to work if you have a family. Terrible place to work if you like money!
Design Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYDecember 2, 2014
this is a very laid back place to work with some great people to work with. They need more people management minded people for management positions and dealing with the legislature makes it hard to do the work some times.
Pros
great people to work with
Cons
poor management and very bad politics
Upper Management support
Maintenance Foreman (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYNovember 9, 2013
I really enjoyed working for WYDOT, UNTIL, I seen how upper management supports and backs their supervisors!

The poor workers are the ones doing the work and ARE UNDER PAID.
Pros
as a foreman a great place to work.
Cons
as a worker or equipment operator with cdl a bad place to work. bad pay!!
Use to be an enjoyable place to work at
Electrical Technician/ ITS Tech (Former Employee) –  Casper, wyomingOctober 17, 2013
My Trypical day would to check all my e-mails, trouble reports, access my web sites to make sure all devices were working. Try to remote trouble shoot sites that needed attendance. Check with our dispatchers for any other trouble calls. Drive to the sites that were down, this may be in my town or across the State. I learned alot from WYDOT. My electrical trouble shooting skills improved and my communications skills improved, I learned the geography of Wyoming. I enjoyed my co-workers, they became my family after working there for 16 years. Hardest part of my job was trying to prove my self to the "male" workers but they took me in after I showed them my work abilities and my knowledge of learning and working just as hard as a man. I enjoyed traveling and seeing all of Wyoming and meeting co-workers from other districts around Wyoming. I enjoyed my job and working on all the higher tech devices. I enjoyed technology!!!
Pros
working on higher tech devices, traveling and meeting new people
Cons
management expected to much out of one person
Decent place to work.
Facilities Management (Custodial) (Former Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYOctober 17, 2012
Work was not too rough and not enough of it to keep me busy all the time.
Positive work environment
Permit Clerk/ Administrative Staff (Current Employee) –  Rock Springs, WYAugust 15, 2012
Assist commercial carrier customers with DOT regulation questions, write permits for oversize/overweight loads, special fuel, and administrative support to WYDOT staff and Highway Patrol.
Pros
state benefits
Cons
n/a
A great place to work!
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYJune 25, 2012
The Wyoming Dept. of Transportation is a great place to work. On most days I am able to walk away with a great deal of satisfaction. I've learned many valuable road design skills during my employment. The people are generally great (every job has a few questionable co-workers).
Pros
2 breaks/day + lunch (a minimum of 30 minutes)
Cons
no "dress your way day" or incentives for working hard.
Laid back and secure workplace
Electrical Design Engineer II (Current Employee) –  Cheyenne, WYApril 2, 2012
- Job Security occasionally results in co-workers that do less work and take extra time. This can be extremely frustrating.

- Management is very casual and not strict so long as the work you do is consistent and on time.

- Pay for Civil Engineers and Electrical Engineers is the same regardless of Market Value.

- Good place to work if you like a very relaxed career.
Pros
benefits, time off, schedule
Cons
location, pay