WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

They stay with almost 50% of what you make from your tutoring rate
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2016
They kept 40% of what I earned without providing you with benefits.
Not worth your time and effort.
I wouldn't work for them again.
Good system for connecting with students and managing payment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 14, 2016
I've really enjoyed tutoring through Wyzant. They have a comprehensive system for getting approved for new subjects, lots of job listings for online and in-person lessons, and great customer service by phone. Their payment system (wait until payment information is on file to schedule a lesson, and everyone has to approve a rate change) allows me to conduct lessons without awkwardly having to take time out to discuss money. I also like the system by which students can review their tutors, and tutors are able to share selected reviews with new potential students.

Difficult things about tutoring through Wyzant: You can only take each certification test once, so make sure that you study up. They're short, which means they don't take much time, but if you miss a few questions (for instance, on adjective endings, in a foreign language test) you can never tutor in that subject. Most postings you apply to won't get you a response- I've been applying to about 15 jobs a week through Wyzant for a month or two, and have only gotten responses from 9 students (3 of whom have become students.) That means it's not great as a full-time job. I also rated it 3 stars for compensation/benefits, because you will never receive the full amount you are charging. You will receive 60-80% of your rate charged, depending how many hours you've tutored. That means that if you charge $30 an hour, you start off only making $18 an hour, despite the fact that your students are paying $30 per hour plus a service charge to Wyzant. Still, $18 per hour is better than a lot of other jobs, and Wyzant allows you
  more... to adjust the rate charged for an individual student or your default rate.

Their system allows me to connect to students online and in person, arrange a time to meet, and not worry about payment. It helps me show of my expertise and become approved (or show interest, if I don't have the time to get approved yet) in as many areas as I want. I never have to worry about a student not paying me for a lesson or be concerned about how to find opportunities. Overall it's a very good system, and has helped me tremendously.

***FOR POTENTIAL TUTORS***: Get approved for as many subjects as you can, sign up to tutor online and in person if possible, and study for every subject test before you take it. Happy tutoring!
Pros
Reliable payment, lots of opportunities, easy approval system
Cons
Only part of rate charged, students rarely respond to applications, can only take subject tests once
Wyzant Treats Tutors Horribly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2016
Wyzant is a waste of time. They take almost half of the fee from the tutors, on top of charging students absurd fees. They are basically pimping out tutors for very little pay. They say you get more $ the more hours you work but it's still nearly half, and basically impossible to reach that point if you're just doing this as a side thing. On top of this, they will cancel your account out of the blue due to "violation of terms of use" with no explanation (I've heard of this happening to many tutors) Not worth your time.
Cons
Will not let you reaply later
N/a (Former Employee) –  N/aNovember 16, 2016
They charged me for a background check of 7.99 and never explained why I was declined. I was in college and not yet certified. Guess the early bird doesn't get the worm because here it is 2 years later and I'm just now getting my refund, I can't reapply even though I am officially certified, and apparently they take a large percentage of what you make. Go to varsity tutor, don't waste your time on these crooks.
Pros
Nothibg
Cons
Take your money without an explanation for decline
Wyzant Really Bad For New Tutors
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 25, 2016
Wyzant makes it really difficult to understand how to get started as a new tutor. If you do not complete there convoluted process correctly within 3 tries, you will NOT be considered to be a tutor. Without explanation, they will just say, "Sorry you don't qualify", in so many words, without giving much of a reason. Don't waste your time plus they will take a large portion of what you make.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Their process is convoluted and confusing
Effective medium for Tutoring
Independent Contractor as Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2016
It's nice to have many options in the tutoring business and Wyzant makes it easy. Most of the administrative aspects of running an independent tutoring business are at your fingertips using the App. And the transactions are regulated by the company so that all of the important information is available up front.
Pros
clarifies the administrative, provides options
Cons
fees
Bad Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
With the flexibility, I understand many giving positive reviews. But wanted to pour my unfortunate negative experience out. After ripping me off by taking 60% of my tutoring sessions, one day they closed my account for no reason. Wyzant will survive today and probably gone tomorrow like dinosaurs.
Pros
Able to see all the available jobs out of your reach
Cons
Getting your account closed for no reason
Tutoring for Wyzant - great opportunities and easy to do
Tutor (Current Employee) –  at student homes or external locationMay 25, 2016
I have been tutoring for WyzAnt for 7 months now and I enjoy it very much. I can choose my own hours and subjects and locations. I have met great people, some have become good friends. It is a great way to get a lesson or two in what you might need right away, or a true in depth study in so many things that you might have always wanted to do but could not fit it in.

I recommend this company!
Pros
Choosing your own time, place and topic to teach, as well as your pay
Cons
the company takes a l big percentage until you have worked a certain amount of hours, It is certainly understandable, but hard in the beginning.
Links up tutors and students
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2016
It is hard to get started on the site without reviews or references. Also Wyzant takes 40% of your earnings which is a lot. It takes time to make this worthwhile, plus the cost of commuting up to an hour for one hour's work.
Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Perfect Fit
Independant tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 20, 2016
What a great experience tutoring through Wyzant has been! I have a bar exam company and also teach law students and college students. The work I do through Wyzant allows me to satisfy my need for diverse learning needs and also to build a continuous business. Having work during non-bar-exam seasons allows me to continue doing what I love full time. This is a credible organization with extraordinary management and a platform for finding quality students. I am most satisfied with the level of ease in my partnership, between availability and access to students and payment method. The help line is aIso quite good if there is ever a problem — I only wish there was an option for some form of independent contractor benefit plan, otherwise this is one of the best things that ever happened to me!
Pros
easy payments and access to students
Cons
No benefit option
Creepy, greedy company
Graphic design tutor (Former Employee) –  DC areaMay 23, 2015
It's a good concept but the setup is extremely unfair to the tutors. They take about HALF of your earnings. Arranging to meet a student, transportation time to meet the student and filling out the lesson plan in detail afterwards which they require you to report on the website in order to get paid is not compensated. Then you only receive a fraction of the money from the actual time you tutor. To make your rates fair for yourself you'd have to make the prohibitively expensive for the students. They do not require the students to provide credit card or PayPal info so if you don't make sure they have done this, the student simply rips you off. This happened to me. Then Wyzant blames you for accepting the job without making sure they provided the info.
Pros
Good concept
Cons
Incredibly unfaircompensation for tutors
Great, just need more hours.
Tutor-English & French (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CANovember 9, 2016
The folks who answer the phones are very bright, courteous & have, so far, answered every question I have had, appropriately & helpfully. I have enjoyed working with each and every student I have tutored!
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Great websight
High school math teacher tutoring from home (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 8, 2016
What I love about tutoring for Wyzant is that they provide a very much needed service. There are so many students who live close by that I would never have been able to help if it was not for Wyzant connecting us.So many parents are not sure where to turn or how to find help for their children. Also with Wyzant, they do background checks and provide pictures, so the families feel safe.They also take the stress of collecting payment off of my shoulders! They value our time and they make sure our students and tutors feel valued.
Pros
We do not have to collect payment from families.
Cons
You have to be very flexible if you want to tutor several students, but that can also be a pro!
Atlanta Tutor
German Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAJuly 14, 2016
Agree that you cannot count on stable income from tutoring, but I have always had my payments paid on time and I appreciate the pay increase after logging many hours this summer. I find it a relief that I do not have to chase after customers nor payment.
Pros
prompt feedback and payment
Cons
not much work
Comfortable working conditions.
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  In home tutoringAugust 30, 2016
It's very easy to conduct in home tutoring when you go through a company. It's a trustworthy situation and so much gets accomplished.
Pros
Comfortable atmosphere
Cons
parking
Sexist and Racist
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
This company is sexist and racist. A typical day is filling out hundreds of irrelevant tests. I learned that the founders of this company have one goal supply nothing and make a ton of money doing it. Co-workers could not write proper English.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Productive work place.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2016
I really like tutoring with Wyzant. As soon as I created my profile I started getting emails from the company and students about potential tutoring opportunities. The company is organized, they pay on time and offer good Support and assistance to to their customers. Every time I have called to ask for asssistance with anything related to tutoring or my account they have been nice and relevant. The only thing I don't really like is that at the Beginning, only 60% from what the students pay go to the tutor and 40% to the company. They will increase the percentage for tutors when the tutoring hours increase, but still, I think the tutor should receive a higher percentage even from the beginning. Overall, working with Wyzant is a great option for taking on a side job.
Pros
Organized, good support system, permanent information about potential students.
Cons
Low Percentage for the tutor
Good web portal but no access to managment for feedback
Tuor (Former Employee) –  WyzAnt tutoring contractorJanuary 19, 2016
Wyzant provides a good portal for finding students to tutor but no feedback from management. They take 40% of what you charge and can sever the relationship with the tutor at any time w/o cause. Their advertisement video shows a tutor coming to a student's home but that is not endorsed in company philosophy. I always chose a neutral place like a library or church, still my account was deactivated w/ excellent reviews and feedback. The company refused to inform me why they closed my account. I hold teaching licensure in 2 states and have excellent references. I enjoyed helping my high school students learn and discover subject matter. I feel the company exploits desperate parents and some college students looking for a solution to not having studied until a week before their final exam.
Pros
Decent web portal
Cons
Company does not provide feedback and wants $ from desperate people wanting a quick fix

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.