WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employer Reviews

Great opportunity to motivate students in mathematics
Math Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2014
Pros: you choose your own schedule
Cons: sometimes hard to get clients
This job is great because I am able to attend school, while working. You can choose your own schedule. I work with basically the students I tutor. This job is more of an independent job.
Adult Students Not Able To Meet Their Tutors
Former Employee (Former Employee), Little RockJune 12, 2014
Pros: there is none!
Cons: see the review!
My first tutor job was two weeks ago, everything went fine. This second job, the tutee that I was to meet in person because that is what she wanted. So in order to do that we had to make arrangements to meet at a cafe. I needed to get paid 100% and I went outside the Wyzant fee. I needed my money not on the 15th or the 1st,which is Wyzant's payday but – more... now. I already sent my first lesson. I figured I did this with 1st tutee, which was the parents of a college aged student. They became upset b/c I posted my first lesson w/o the material being sent to me and Wyzant charged them. I had to go to bed and it was discussed with the mother and I thought she was going to send it that night. She didn't so I cancelled the lesson and they couldn't be charged so I had to make my arrangements outside Wyzant.
I didn't appreciate Wyzant taking 60% and I got 40% of the pay. For the next tutor I made arrangements for the going over lesson meeting. Wyzant deactiviated my account w/o warning (yes later I found out I broke their policy but I had to) They do not provide an atmosphere for tutors to meet their tutees. I couldn't create a "lesson plan" through their set-up for this particular lesson. The tuteee needed a face-to-face tutoring session. This can't be done through their company. We're not allow of zero contact,which is understandable for safety reasons. But not all tutees are children some are adults.
Wyzant sucks. It's about them and their students and Tutors get screwed over. Greedy! Greedy! Greedy! Save yourself time and skip going through their service and find another or just advertise on your own. Good luck! – less
Flexible Scheduling
Private Academic Tutor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 6, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: 35% pay cut, unstable work
Great administration website for getting tutors jobs. Pay cut is a little bit steep, but great for networking.
Tutors, beware! Wyzant does NOT care about tutors
Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: horrible for tutors, awful customer service, will allow students to post any ridiculous feedback
Wyzant does not cater to tutors whatsoever. The company tries to do everything for the convenience of the students and forgets that without tutors, Wyzant makes NO money, seeing that all work is performed by tutors, and Wyzant gets commissions. Any crazy student and his/her family members can post slanderous feedback, and Wyzant will post it, and tell – more... the tutor that the tutor can just void the lesson and not get paid, and only in that case the review will disappear. Even though tutors are independent contractors who have the 100% decision power as to which students to tutor and which to drop, Wyzant pressures tutors to tutor students even when the tutor does not feel comfortable to do so. – less
Great way to spend time while searching for full time work
tutor (Current Employee), Oswego, ILApril 28, 2014
Pros: create your own schedule
Cons: wyzant takes 40% of your pay to start. decreases as you log more hours, but still.
Wyzant Tutoring is a decent company whose sole purpose is to connect people. Mostly parents with tutors. That hardest part of the job is finding students close to where you live without having to drive more than 40 minutes for an hour long tutoring session. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually working with students and watching them improve.

I – more... don't usually deal with the company Wyzant Company itself unless I have an issue. – less
Great platform for tutors.
Tutor (Current Employee), San Francisco Bay Area and on-lineApril 17, 2014
The platform connects students with tutors and protects both.
Not Recommended for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee), RemoteApril 4, 2014
Pros: helps tutors find students
Cons: took too much commission. termination with just cause.
As a tutor, I thought that the website was a great way to find students and everything seemed very hassle free. However, it was important to me that I meet my students prior to the first lesson and Wyzant did not support that. They request for a payment by the student prior to setting up an introductory meeting, and I felt that if you are paying so – more... much for a tutor, it is essential to be able to hold an introductory meeting prior to sign up. However, that is against their policy.

Furthermore, Wyzant expected for me, the tutor, to request for a payment from my student, and I feel that they could work to improve on this. I signed up for the website because I was okay with them taking 40% of my paycheck but I expected to not have to deal with the business aspect of tutoring.

Lastly, one of the pluses of Wyzant is that they ensure the qualifications and background check of their tutors, but Wyzant needs to improve on ensuring the legitimacy of their customers. I was always very concerned about my safety because I wasn't sure whether or not the student requests were legitimate. I have had to ask to meet students at the library because I was too scared to meet them at their house. Some parents were appreciative of this, but some parents were upset and refused to hire me because of this request. – less
% Outs a bit much
Statistics Tutor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 12, 2014
You charge what you want, they take a decent percent out at first but it's what you sign up for
good opportunity to utilize your skills
Teacher (Former Employee), Centreville virginiaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: you are your own boss.
Cons: you need a second job for living
It's a good start for professionals who would like to work from home with no stress and no pressure.
Great Tutoring Agency
Educational Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: agency percentage
Working as a tutor with the help of the WyzAnt tutoring agency has helped me to continue honing my skills and fill in some time with some much needed income.

The website has great resources to help track students, lessons, completed, even mileage.

The percentage taken by the agency in the beginning is high, but the number of hours worked accrue quickly – more... and then the agency gets a lower percentage. – less
Convenient
Contracted Private Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2014
Enjoy privately tutoring. I can teach at each student's level.
Excellent opportunity to have a direct impact on someone's life.
Private Tutor (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 23, 2014
I have throughly enjoyed working through Wyzant.com. They provide an excellent middle man service to acquire students to tutor. A typical tutor sessions lasts between an hour to two hours. The greatest asset I have acquired from this job is being able to read my students. Being able to read my students is key to understanding how they learn. This job – more... is difficult only when the student is not motivated to learn, but I enjoy the challenge of making my lessons interesting and effective for them. The most enjoyable part of tutoring is seeing the 'a-ha' moment when the student finally understands the area in which he was having difficulty. – less
Just a contracting service.
Tutor (Current Employee), AnywhereDecember 31, 2013
Pros: ease of use, payment/recordkeeping
Cons: they take a percentage of profits.
Great way to find students that need tutoring. There is nothing more to tell about the company because they are not involved with anything other than their website.
Do NOT use Wyzant for ANYTHING!!!
Tutor (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 22, 2013
Pros: tutoring may be of quality, but then again.....
Cons: not special education compliant, management does not care about employees
Wyzant takes a whopping 40% of your earnings, as an instructor and though, they tell you they will drop that percentage down as you increase the amount of hours worked, you really have to be a full time tutor to benefit from that policy.

Wyzant also does not screen their Special Education services properly in accordance with federal and State IDEA – more... laws. All they require is a well-versed paragraph from a prospective tutor explaining their credentials, and then Wyzant claims they are qualified.

Their qualification structure is flawed in many ways, so don't believe it when you read that your Wyzant tutor is supposedly "qualified" in any particular subject. Maybe they are, but maybe they aren't, either.

You can find a reputable college student or public K12 teacher who tutors on the side and they will cost less and be of much better quality and much more efficient than any tutor from Wyzant.

Again, if your child has ANY special needs, like Asperger's, Autism, Learning Disabilities, Emotional Disabilities, or any other health impairments which require Special Education services, DO NOT USE WYZANT!!! THEY DO NOT COMPLY WITH SPECIAL EDUCATION (IDEA) LAWS!!!!!

Oh, and one more by the way, if you do go to work for them and have any problems, don't expect their management to all that helpful. They really don't care about you or your problems and only want people to pay for their services in advance, so they can pocket the pocket. Once in their account, its going to stay there. – less
Great opportunity to be involved in your community and to supplement income.
Tutor (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 13, 2013
I've been with Wyzant for six months now and it is the best thing I have found when it comes to finding part-time work. You can set your own hourly rate and meet with students on your own time. It is also nice to be able to meet new people.
Great avenue to supplement income
Tutor (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 20, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, great pay
I started with Wyzant about a year ago. I initially found them in an effort to supplement my income. I like having the direct deposit, and everything is very well organized on their website. Of course they take a percentage of your hourly rate, but that is quite understandable considering that they provide the venue to find new clients. In less than – more... a year, I was able to increase my percent take back to 75% which is pretty great, considering it was a second job.

Now they are starting to offer online tutoring, which I also think is a great idea, because it will allow me to use my time more effectively and tutor right out of my own home.

What I enjoy the most, is that I improving other's education and teaching them new things that they might not have had the chance to do in school. Moreover, it also helps me improve my own skills that I probably wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, because the best way that you learn is by teaching others.

I've never had any issues finding new students, so all in all, I don't really have a bad thing to say about my experience with them. – less
An excellent way to earn a living doing private education
Tutor, Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2013
I am inspired to write this review due to the few negative reviews this company has received. When you begin with the company, you start off earning 60% of what you charge, which increases up to 80% after 400 hours of tutoring delivered. If students purchase packages (most of my clients do) an additional 15% is taken off the price on Wyzant's end, thus – more... Wyzant makes 5% when you are fully established. This is an extremely reasonable fee to charge for the operating costs of the website in my opinion.

Other reviewers have pointed out that Wyzant can be a bit picky filtering the conversations you have with potential clients on message boards. It is true that Wyzant has a built in filter to see if address information, telephone numbers, or emails are provided in ADVANCE of the client registering a form of payment with the website. Albeit a bit intrusive, this makes sense. This system guarantees that an individual is capable of paying and also protects against tutors from using Wyzant's system to find clients and then simply cut them out from their fair share.

I couldn't imagine a better way to run this company. Well... the name could be changed! I am currently making a good hourly wage and really enjoy my job. When you really establish yourself, you can be picky with your clients and not take on anyone who isn't really willing to learn. This way you get to work with people who put in effort and what is more rewarding than helping another find their inner potential? – less
Fair and opportunity-filled workplace.
Tutor (Current Employee), Sparks, NVOctober 29, 2013
Pros: so much opportunity and very fair.
Cons: the percentage it takes out but it's not bad once you have regular tutoring sessions.
I apply to the subjects that I am qualified to tutor in and contact the student. I then set up a time and help the student out and I get paid twice a month with room to advance in pay.
Students not reliable
Tutor (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYOctober 25, 2013
Pros: own schedule
Cons: students not following through
I feel I have offered great tutoring sessions, but students either want the work done for them or they just disappear.
Flexible schedules
Private Tutor (Former Employee), online websiteOctober 12, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: sometimes slow in finding work
work your own hours. Sometimes slow in finding assignments.

1 2 3

About WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt.com is an online marketplace specializing in matching students with qualified tutors for in-home tutoring.

WyzAnt Tutoring Photos