WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Tutoring for Wyzant - great opportunities and easy to do
Tutor (Current Employee) –  at student homes or external locationMay 25, 2016
I have been tutoring for WyzAnt for 7 months now and I enjoy it very much. I can choose my own hours and subjects and locations. I have met great people, some have become good friends. It is a great way to get a lesson or two in what you might need right away, or a true in depth study in so many things that you might have always wanted to do but could not fit it in.

I recommend this company!
Pros
Choosing your own time, place and topic to teach, as well as your pay
Cons
the company takes a l big percentage until you have worked a certain amount of hours, It is certainly understandable, but hard in the beginning.
Perfect Fit
Independant tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 20, 2016
What a great experience tutoring through Wyzant has been! I have a bar exam company and also teach law students and college students. The work I do through Wyzant allows me to satisfy my need for diverse learning needs and also to build a continuous business. Having work during non-bar-exam seasons allows me to continue doing what I love full time. This is a credible organization with extraordinary management and a platform for finding quality students. I am most satisfied with the level of ease in my partnership, between availability and access to students and payment method. The help line is aIso quite good if there is ever a problem — I only wish there was an option for some form of independent contractor benefit plan, otherwise this is one of the best things that ever happened to me!
Pros
easy payments and access to students
Cons
No benefit option
Wyzant Really Bad For New Tutors
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 25, 2016
Wyzant makes it really difficult to understand how to get started as a new tutor. If you do not complete there convoluted process correctly within 3 tries, you will NOT be considered to be a tutor. Without explanation, they will just say, "Sorry you don't qualify", in so many words, without giving much of a reason. Don't waste your time plus they will take a large portion of what you make.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Their process is convoluted and confusing
Great websight
High school math teacher tutoring from home (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 8, 2016
What I love about tutoring for Wyzant is that they provide a very much needed service. There are so many students who live close by that I would never have been able to help if it was not for Wyzant connecting us.So many parents are not sure where to turn or how to find help for their children. Also with Wyzant, they do background checks and provide pictures, so the families feel safe.They also take the stress of collecting payment off of my shoulders! They value our time and they make sure our students and tutors feel valued.
Pros
We do not have to collect payment from families.
Cons
You have to be very flexible if you want to tutor several students, but that can also be a pro!
Effective medium for Tutoring
Independent Contractor as Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2016
It's nice to have many options in the tutoring business and Wyzant makes it easy. Most of the administrative aspects of running an independent tutoring business are at your fingertips using the App. And the transactions are regulated by the company so that all of the important information is available up front.
Pros
clarifies the administrative, provides options
Cons
fees
Creepy, greedy company
Graphic design tutor (Former Employee) –  DC areaMay 23, 2015
It's a good concept but the setup is extremely unfair to the tutors. They take about HALF of your earnings. Arranging to meet a student, transportation time to meet the student and filling out the lesson plan in detail afterwards which they require you to report on the website in order to get paid is not compensated. Then you only receive a fraction of the money from the actual time you tutor. To make your rates fair for yourself you'd have to make the prohibitively expensive for the students. They do not require the students to provide credit card or PayPal info so if you don't make sure they have done this, the student simply rips you off. This happened to me. Then Wyzant blames you for accepting the job without making sure they provided the info.
Pros
Good concept
Cons
Incredibly unfaircompensation for tutors
Good web portal but no access to managment for feedback
Tuor (Former Employee) –  WyzAnt tutoring contractorJanuary 19, 2016
Wyzant provides a good portal for finding students to tutor but no feedback from management. They take 40% of what you charge and can sever the relationship with the tutor at any time w/o cause. Their advertisement video shows a tutor coming to a student's home but that is not endorsed in company philosophy. I always chose a neutral place like a library or church, still my account was deactivated w/ excellent reviews and feedback. The company refused to inform me why they closed my account. I hold teaching licensure in 2 states and have excellent references. I enjoyed helping my high school students learn and discover subject matter. I feel the company exploits desperate parents and some college students looking for a solution to not having studied until a week before their final exam.
Pros
Decent web portal
Cons
Company does not provide feedback and wants $ from desperate people wanting a quick fix
Productive work place.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2016
I really like tutoring with Wyzant. As soon as I created my profile I started getting emails from the company and students about potential tutoring opportunities. The company is organized, they pay on time and offer good Support and assistance to to their customers. Every time I have called to ask for asssistance with anything related to tutoring or my account they have been nice and relevant. The only thing I don't really like is that at the Beginning, only 60% from what the students pay go to the tutor and 40% to the company. They will increase the percentage for tutors when the tutoring hours increase, but still, I think the tutor should receive a higher percentage even from the beginning. Overall, working with Wyzant is a great option for taking on a side job.
Pros
Organized, good support system, permanent information about potential students.
Cons
Low Percentage for the tutor
I love working with Wyzant
French Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXApril 6, 2016
Wyzant gives you a great and trustworthy exposure as a tutor.
You can look up at work in you area on the website.
This is very flexible: you decide what mileage you agree to travel, your schedule, you set your pay rate (many other similar companies will set the pay rate for you!).
Their policies are very clear, their website is extremely user friendly and offers all what you need as a tutor (calendar, reminder, etc...)
They are always paying on time.
Wyzant is the best Tutoring company that I know so far!
Atlanta Tutor
German Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAJuly 14, 2016
Agree that you cannot count on stable income from tutoring, but I have always had my payments paid on time and I appreciate the pay increase after logging many hours this summer. I find it a relief that I do not have to chase after customers nor payment.
Pros
prompt feedback and payment
Cons
not much work
Okay but can be better
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 31, 2016
Wyzant is fair. I matched with only 2 students after reaching out to 50+ students. Be prepared for them to take a big chunk out of your small pay. My price is normally $30 an hour but fter signing up with Wyzant, I had to bump it up 10 extra bucks just to get a decent pay from my hard work.

I am currently trying out Leaders of Tomorrow Tutoring Company. They only charge you a monthly fee of 20 bucks to communicate with potential students. Once you land a tutoring job, you get to keep ALL of your money! Sounds like a much better deal than getting 16 bucks cut out of EVERY lesson I give!
Pros
I landed 2 jobs using them
Cons
big cut taken out... 40%
Sexist and Racist
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
This company is sexist and racist. A typical day is filling out hundreds of irrelevant tests. I learned that the founders of this company have one goal supply nothing and make a ton of money doing it. Co-workers could not write proper English.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Wonderful service from WyzAnt
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLFebruary 19, 2016
I've been working with WyzAnt going on 2 years now and they have been excellent in giving me referrals. I've been so busy with a full schedule of students that I have to refuse any more students until my schedule eases up some. I've also developed many long lasting relationships with the parents and pupils that I've tutored. All of my parents of students have been supportive of me and thankful for my tutoring. It's been a joy to work with WyzAnt and the students they provide. WyzAnt has been helpful in customer service, answering any question I've had. I especially like the security that WyzAnt provides: they protect the tutor and the student from undesirable contacts. Their policy is that if a student is not satisfied with the first lesson of any tutor, they get their money back. As a teacher, that was also my policy because total satisfaction is what I desire for my students. I'm already up to the 500 hour mark and I'm earning 80% of what I charge. It is worth it to get the service that WyzAnt provides.
Pros
good service
A good short-term, flexible option.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Central OhioJune 27, 2016
These people are actually knowledgeable about education, and require that their applicants and workers demonstrate that same knowledge, as well as tutoring skill with all ages and backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible, stimulating
Cons
Income unstudy
Not conducive to helping each other
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 9, 2016
While Wyzant provides a convenient profile for tutors and offers services such as background checks, it skims a large percentage from the tutors, threatens surveillance if you try to exchange personal contact information (phone or email), and does a disservice to what tutoring should be. If Wyzant valued education and people helping people they would focus less on pushing their proprietary programs (Wyzant email, online blackboard) and more on how to BEST help the tutors connect with the students. They would also empower tutors, who are already busy enough with their coursework, research, and/or teaching, by letting them be paid what they are worth, and not taking an exorbitant proportion of the pay.

Pros:
Convenient Profile
Background Check

Cons:
Takes 40% of tutor pay
Requires communication to be through Wyzant email
Makes deleting an account difficult - have to contact them to request it removed
Not interested in students learning or tutors flourishing, only interested in company bottom line
They stay with almost 50% of what you make from your tutoring rate
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2016
They kept 40% of what I earned without providing you with benefits.
Not worth your time and effort.
I wouldn't work for them again.
Unethical Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
This is a unethical and fraudulent company. Someone should really investigate them and expose them for what they are! Do yourself a favor. Look for a different tutoring company - unless you like to be harassed by unprofessional bullies down the road.
Very fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMarch 18, 2016
Very fun place to work but quite challenging. The management was great because they pushed you to be a better person as a tutor.
Internet Tutor Services Company
Mathematics and SAT/ACT Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
This company provides quality tutoring services via internet for students at all grade levels as well as test preparation for college admission. The site allows the tutor to develop a detailed profile, including but not limited to references, job experience, background check, skills, subjects of expertise, etc.
Pros
provides a wide range of tutors for students to select from
Cons
no benefits, no advancement opportunities
Easy way to make money
Math/Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSMarch 5, 2016
I learned a lot of valuable skills through this job. I learned communication skills, leadership skills, and how to help different learning styles. I really enjoyed meeting different types of people through the different subjects and different age groups I tutored.