WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews in United States

A good short-term, flexible option.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Central OhioJune 27, 2016
These people are actually knowledgeable about education, and require that their applicants and workers demonstrate that same knowledge, as well as tutoring skill with all ages and backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible, stimulating
Cons
Income unstudy
Unethical Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
This is a unethical and fraudulent company. Someone should really investigate them and expose them for what they are! Do yourself a favor. Look for a different tutoring company - unless you like to be harassed by unprofessional bullies down the road.
Tutoring for Wyzant - great opportunities and easy to do
Tutor (Current Employee) –  at student homes or external locationMay 25, 2016
I have been tutoring for WyzAnt for 7 months now and I enjoy it very much. I can choose my own hours and subjects and locations. I have met great people, some have become good friends. It is a great way to get a lesson or two in what you might need right away, or a true in depth study in so many things that you might have always wanted to do but could not fit it in.

I recommend this company!
Pros
Choosing your own time, place and topic to teach, as well as your pay
Cons
the company takes a l big percentage until you have worked a certain amount of hours, It is certainly understandable, but hard in the beginning.
Great websight
High school math teacher tutoring from home (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 8, 2016
What I love about tutoring for Wyzant is that they provide a very much needed service. There are so many students who live close by that I would never have been able to help if it was not for Wyzant connecting us.So many parents are not sure where to turn or how to find help for their children. Also with Wyzant, they do background checks and provide pictures, so the families feel safe.They also take the stress of collecting payment off of my shoulders! They value our time and they make sure our students and tutors feel valued.
Pros
We do not have to collect payment from families.
Cons
You have to be very flexible if you want to tutor several students, but that can also be a pro!
I love working with Wyzant
French Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXApril 6, 2016
Wyzant gives you a great and trustworthy exposure as a tutor.
You can look up at work in you area on the website.
This is very flexible: you decide what mileage you agree to travel, your schedule, you set your pay rate (many other similar companies will set the pay rate for you!).
Their policies are very clear, their website is extremely user friendly and offers all what you need as a tutor (calendar, reminder, etc...)
They are always paying on time.
Wyzant is the best Tutoring company that I know so far!
Very fun place to work
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kernersville, NCMarch 18, 2016
Very fun place to work but quite challenging. The management was great because they pushed you to be a better person as a tutor.
Easy way to make money
Math/Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Oxford, MSMarch 5, 2016
I learned a lot of valuable skills through this job. I learned communication skills, leadership skills, and how to help different learning styles. I really enjoyed meeting different types of people through the different subjects and different age groups I tutored.
Productive work place.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2016
I really like tutoring with Wyzant. As soon as I created my profile I started getting emails from the company and students about potential tutoring opportunities. The company is organized, they pay on time and offer good Support and assistance to to their customers. Every time I have called to ask for asssistance with anything related to tutoring or my account they have been nice and relevant. The only thing I don't really like is that at the Beginning, only 60% from what the students pay go to the tutor and 40% to the company. They will increase the percentage for tutors when the tutoring hours increase, but still, I think the tutor should receive a higher percentage even from the beginning. Overall, working with Wyzant is a great option for taking on a side job.
Pros
Organized, good support system, permanent information about potential students.
Cons
Low Percentage for the tutor
Perfect Fit
Independant tutor (Current Employee) –  RemoteFebruary 20, 2016
What a great experience tutoring through Wyzant has been! I have a bar exam company and also teach law students and college students. The work I do through Wyzant allows me to satisfy my need for diverse learning needs and also to build a continuous business. Having work during non-bar-exam seasons allows me to continue doing what I love full time. This is a credible organization with extraordinary management and a platform for finding quality students. I am most satisfied with the level of ease in my partnership, between availability and access to students and payment method. The help line is aIso quite good if there is ever a problem — I only wish there was an option for some form of independent contractor benefit plan, otherwise this is one of the best things that ever happened to me!
Pros
easy payments and access to students
Cons
No benefit option
Wonderful service from WyzAnt
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Winter Garden, FLFebruary 19, 2016
I've been working with WyzAnt going on 2 years now and they have been excellent in giving me referrals. I've been so busy with a full schedule of students that I have to refuse any more students until my schedule eases up some. I've also developed many long lasting relationships with the parents and pupils that I've tutored. All of my parents of students have been supportive of me and thankful for my tutoring. It's been a joy to work with WyzAnt and the students they provide. WyzAnt has been helpful in customer service, answering any question I've had. I especially like the security that WyzAnt provides: they protect the tutor and the student from undesirable contacts. Their policy is that if a student is not satisfied with the first lesson of any tutor, they get their money back. As a teacher, that was also my policy because total satisfaction is what I desire for my students. I'm already up to the 500 hour mark and I'm earning 80% of what I charge. It is worth it to get the service that WyzAnt provides.
Pros
good service
students are exceptional
Music Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, IL 60647February 16, 2016
The hardest part of the job, was the driving. I don't drive. I prefer online tutoring. The most enjoyable part of the job, is that I get to teach.
Pros
Online tutoring
Not conducive to helping each other
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 9, 2016
While Wyzant provides a convenient profile for tutors and offers services such as background checks, it skims a large percentage from the tutors, threatens surveillance if you try to exchange personal contact information (phone or email), and does a disservice to what tutoring should be. If Wyzant valued education and people helping people they would focus less on pushing their proprietary programs (Wyzant email, online blackboard) and more on how to BEST help the tutors connect with the students. They would also empower tutors, who are already busy enough with their coursework, research, and/or teaching, by letting them be paid what they are worth, and not taking an exorbitant proportion of the pay.

Pros:
Convenient Profile
Background Check

Cons:
Takes 40% of tutor pay
Requires communication to be through Wyzant email
Makes deleting an account difficult - have to contact them to request it removed
Not interested in students learning or tutors flourishing, only interested in company bottom line
Okay but can be better
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 31, 2016
Wyzant is fair. I matched with only 2 students after reaching out to 50+ students. Be prepared for them to take a big chunk out of your small pay. My price is normally $30 an hour but fter signing up with Wyzant, I had to bump it up 10 extra bucks just to get a decent pay from my hard work.

I am currently trying out Leaders of Tomorrow Tutoring Company. They only charge you a monthly fee of 20 bucks to communicate with potential students. Once you land a tutoring job, you get to keep ALL of your money! Sounds like a much better deal than getting 16 bucks cut out of EVERY lesson I give!
Pros
I landed 2 jobs using them
Cons
big cut taken out... 40%
Good web portal but no access to managment for feedback
Tuor (Former Employee) –  WyzAnt tutoring contractorJanuary 19, 2016
Wyzant provides a good portal for finding students to tutor but no feedback from management. They take 40% of what you charge and can sever the relationship with the tutor at any time w/o cause. Their advertisement video shows a tutor coming to a student's home but that is not endorsed in company philosophy. I always chose a neutral place like a library or church, still my account was deactivated w/ excellent reviews and feedback. The company refused to inform me why they closed my account. I hold teaching licensure in 2 states and have excellent references. I enjoyed helping my high school students learn and discover subject matter. I feel the company exploits desperate parents and some college students looking for a solution to not having studied until a week before their final exam.
Pros
Decent web portal
Cons
Company does not provide feedback and wants $ from desperate people wanting a quick fix
Excellent Contracting Organization
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
The website is easy to use. The application to apply for positions, email students and submit lessons dfor payment is very user friendly. Additionally, the ability to use extra features to track mileage or create marketing materials make WyzAnt ans excellent company with whom to do business.
Pros
User friendly website
Not a great place
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 21, 2015
I am a college educator and have been tutoring through Wyzant for over 4 years. During my time I have had difficulty getting clients even with a 4.5 overall rating.

Today, without any notice or consultation, I received an email that my profile has been summarily removed."We have concluded that the WyzAnt platform is not the best fit for your tutoring business".

Any business that treats its contractors this way has a lot to learn about successful management.
Flexible hours and many leads but not leads are good.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2015
You visit the website to apply for open jobs. If the client chooses you then an appointment will be setup by the website. Everything is through the website. Phone numbers, email, etc cannot be given to clients.

When the session is over you submit the completed lesson to the website. After they take their share, they will deposit the money into your bank or paypal.

Not a bad site to find a part time tutoring job but because the clients are spread over the city, sometimes you have to drive all over.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of leads
Cons
The commute can be all over, Cancellations
Need more work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  atlanta, gaAugust 31, 2015
ok, not much work to do. Could probably start a good basis if you stayed at it. Not a stable source of money. Go for a public or private teaching job.
Good Place to Find Quality Students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Grafton, OH areaAugust 26, 2015
I have found three students on WyzAnt whom I have tutored. While it sometimes takes awhile to attract a new student to tutor (I have answered many more ads than I have had responses to), the students I have tutored, for the most part, have remained loyal to me and been a joy to work with. The ads usually contain enough important information about the needs of the prospective tutee so that I can make an informed decision about whether this would be a good fit for me or not. I particularly like the fact that the city and mileage from my location are included, as I prefer not to drive more than 20 miles for any particular job.

I have found the personnel at WyzAnt to be very helpful. Both times I have called with a concern the problem was taken care of immediately, and I was treated with respect and courtesy. In addition, WyzAnt sends numerous email reminders about mail in my inbox on their site, calendar updates needed, and the submission of a lesson once it has been completed. They seem very concerned about the safety of their tutors, as I also received an email indicating that it looked like a prospective parent was trying to contact me outside of the site, which they strongly advise against. In addition, if I included too much personal information in an email I am trying to send, a reminder pops up indicating that I need to edit the email to avoid exposing myself by sharing too much information. Another feature I appreciate is the opportunity to earn a greater share of the amount charged once I have secured more students or tutored for more hours.

As with any teaching
  more... job, I put many more hours into preparing for lessons than I actually do teaching, all of which is not paid time, but I do enjoy working with students, the flexibility, and the extra cash, which is directly deposited into my bank account.  less
Pros
Safe, easy way to find prospective students
Cons
Spend more time on computer, doing paperwork, and preparing lessons than actually working with students.
Tutoring students of all age, mostly for English and Reading test prep
Certified tutor in English (Current Employee) –  orlando, FLAugust 20, 2015
In a typical day, I would go to the jobs posting board on the site and reach out to any students who need in a tutor. We would then correspond through email answering all questionnaire student wanted answered before test day and if I truly felt I was capable, I would follow up about time, rates, books to use, etc. I did extremely well on my SATS 800/65/730 which makes me an eligible candidate.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
some parents want a tutor for kids who don't want help

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.