WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Okay but can be better
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Upper Marlboro, MDJanuary 31, 2016
Wyzant is fair. I matched with only 2 students after reaching out to 50+ students. Be prepared for them to take a big chunk out of your small pay. My price is normally $30 an hour but fter signing up with Wyzant, I had to bump it up 10 extra bucks just to get a decent pay from my hard work.

I am currently trying out Leaders of Tomorrow Tutoring Company. They only charge you a monthly fee of 20 bucks to communicate with potential students. Once you land a tutoring job, you get to keep ALL of your money! Sounds like a much better deal than getting 16 bucks cut out of EVERY lesson I give!
Pros
I landed 2 jobs using them
Cons
big cut taken out... 40%
Good web portal but no access to managment for feedback
Tuor (Former Employee) –  WyzAnt tutoring contractorJanuary 19, 2016
Wyzant provides a good portal for finding students to tutor but no feedback from management. They take 40% of what you charge and can sever the relationship with the tutor at any time w/o cause. Their advertisement video shows a tutor coming to a student's home but that is not endorsed in company philosophy. I always chose a neutral place like a library or church, still my account was deactivated w/ excellent reviews and feedback. The company refused to inform me why they closed my account. I hold teaching licensure in 2 states and have excellent references. I enjoyed helping my high school students learn and discover subject matter. I feel the company exploits desperate parents and some college students looking for a solution to not having studied until a week before their final exam.
Pros
Decent web portal
Cons
Company does not provide feedback and wants $ from desperate people wanting a quick fix
Excellent Contracting Organization
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 4, 2015
The website is easy to use. The application to apply for positions, email students and submit lessons dfor payment is very user friendly. Additionally, the ability to use extra features to track mileage or create marketing materials make WyzAnt ans excellent company with whom to do business.
Pros
User friendly website
Not a great place
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineOctober 21, 2015
I am a college educator and have been tutoring through Wyzant for over 4 years. During my time I have had difficulty getting clients even with a 4.5 overall rating.

Today, without any notice or consultation, I received an email that my profile has been summarily removed."We have concluded that the WyzAnt platform is not the best fit for your tutoring business".

Any business that treats its contractors this way has a lot to learn about successful management.
Flexible hours and many leads but not leads are good.
Academic Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 8, 2015
You visit the website to apply for open jobs. If the client chooses you then an appointment will be setup by the website. Everything is through the website. Phone numbers, email, etc cannot be given to clients.

When the session is over you submit the completed lesson to the website. After they take their share, they will deposit the money into your bank or paypal.

Not a bad site to find a part time tutoring job but because the clients are spread over the city, sometimes you have to drive all over.
Pros
Flexible hours, lots of leads
Cons
The commute can be all over, Cancellations
Need more work
Tutor (Current Employee) –  atlanta, gaAugust 31, 2015
ok, not much work to do. Could probably start a good basis if you stayed at it. Not a stable source of money. Go for a public or private teaching job.
Good Place to Find Quality Students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Grafton, OH areaAugust 26, 2015
I have found three students on WyzAnt whom I have tutored. While it sometimes takes awhile to attract a new student to tutor (I have answered many more ads than I have had responses to), the students I have tutored, for the most part, have remained loyal to me and been a joy to work with. The ads usually contain enough important information about the needs of the prospective tutee so that I can make an informed decision about whether this would be a good fit for me or not. I particularly like the fact that the city and mileage from my location are included, as I prefer not to drive more than 20 miles for any particular job.

I have found the personnel at WyzAnt to be very helpful. Both times I have called with a concern the problem was taken care of immediately, and I was treated with respect and courtesy. In addition, WyzAnt sends numerous email reminders about mail in my inbox on their site, calendar updates needed, and the submission of a lesson once it has been completed. They seem very concerned about the safety of their tutors, as I also received an email indicating that it looked like a prospective parent was trying to contact me outside of the site, which they strongly advise against. In addition, if I included too much personal information in an email I am trying to send, a reminder pops up indicating that I need to edit the email to avoid exposing myself by sharing too much information. Another feature I appreciate is the opportunity to earn a greater share of the amount charged once I have secured more students or tutored for more hours.

As with any teaching
  more... job, I put many more hours into preparing for lessons than I actually do teaching, all of which is not paid time, but I do enjoy working with students, the flexibility, and the extra cash, which is directly deposited into my bank account.  less
Pros
Safe, easy way to find prospective students
Cons
Spend more time on computer, doing paperwork, and preparing lessons than actually working with students.
Tutoring students of all age, mostly for English and Reading test prep
Certified tutor in English (Current Employee) –  orlando, FLAugust 20, 2015
In a typical day, I would go to the jobs posting board on the site and reach out to any students who need in a tutor. We would then correspond through email answering all questionnaire student wanted answered before test day and if I truly felt I was capable, I would follow up about time, rates, books to use, etc. I did extremely well on my SATS 800/65/730 which makes me an eligible candidate.
Pros
flexible schedule
Cons
some parents want a tutor for kids who don't want help
Easy company to work for as IC.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILAugust 5, 2015
I work as an Independent Contractor, which allows me to set my own hours/schedule.
WyzAnt, Inc. is a great to get academic help very quickly in any setting that is agreeable to client and tutor.
I work when I want to work.
I have learned many skills and gained considerable knowledge in my research preparation for my clients.
My co-workers are based all over the country so we do not physically see each other, but we blog and use other methods to assist each other.
The hardest part of the job for me is saying "no" to clients who want me to come to their homes. I do all of my tutoring out of the Library.
The most enjoyable part of the job is when a client passes an exam/test and moves on with their educational/professional goals.
Pros
work schedule
Cons
slow periods (Summer)
This is a horrible company to work for
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tomball, TXJuly 28, 2015
This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know why I ever bothered using the site in the first place. I make much more money and have much more success finding clients just advertising at my local coffee shop. I have been tutoring for YEARS and not ONCE did I get a response or a lead from this website. Not to mention that you wanted 40% of my price! Are you kidding?! Do you know why care.com is successful? Because they are SO nice that you WANT to give them money. Parents pay exorbitant amounts for background checks and the tutors pay to be listed higher. There are no stupid fees or e-mail filters. This company will never be successful.
Pros
NONE
Cons
EVERYTHING. They take your money and your time with NO results.
Flexible and rewarding
Tutor (Current Employee) –  NationwideJuly 22, 2015
This company allows an educator the freedom to work with flexibility. The educator is also allowed to name their own price.
Pros
Flexible schedule
Cons
Low opportunity
Wyzant lets me set my own pay and Hours
Tutor and Mentor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2015
Working at Wyzant has been an effective program for my skills. I have worked with individual students and encouraged them to build skills and confidence in their worst subject areas. This job requires patience and caring but I find that these are skills that I am strong in. I am capable of breaking tasks into obtainable increments and advance my student's capabilities. They have integrated my study skill methods and have gone on to achieve great things.
Pros
Flexibility, good work
Cons
Needed to interview for each hour of work.
Timely pay and excellent resource for job leads
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
Wyzant offers me continuous leads for future tutoring positions. My experience working for them as been rewarding and has helped me to build a network of references for teaching.
Pros
set my own hours
Cons
need to decrease my rate to get more jobs
Great work and life balance
Mathematics & English Tutor (Former Employee) –  New YorkJuly 5, 2015
I have tutored for many years. In which time I have concluded that although teaching is repeating concepts and ideas to students, in regards to academics, what is also beneficial is instilling good test taking skills. Granted during an exam, whether it be nerves, or sheer temporary lapse of judgment, there may be times when the student will not know how to answer a given question, this is where these test taking skills are necessary. I enjoyed teaching students and helping them achieve their academic goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the results of my tutoring and happiness it brought to my students.
I am self-employed
Music and Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Las Vegas, NVJuly 3, 2015
I am a private tutor. I charge 50.00 an hour. I drive to students homes to teach them. Wyzant is great and they help me find students to teach. They take a small percentage of what I earn, but they do help me find students.
Cons
If a lesson gets canceled, I lose money.
Wow! What a Joke!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Fort LauderdaleJuly 2, 2015
In order for you to make any money, you'll need to charge your clients a large fee because these Ants will take 40% of your hard earned money. Of course by doing so, you will get less clients. Now what they don't tell is, if you don't get clients after a while, they will deactivate your account. I have been getting emails potential clients and I have done my best to reach out to most of them.
If you think about it, you don't need their stupid system to host your profile pic and info for 40% of your money. I now advertise locally through Craigslist and I have been getting clients on my own, and guess what? I get to keep all my money.
Don't waste your time with this joke of a company!
Flexible tutoring job
Writing Tutor (Current Employee) –  Boston, MAJune 24, 2015
Flexible part-time job as a contracted tutor, working with a range of students in all areas of humanities, including English, literature, philosophy, creative writing, and history.
Pros
Flexible, well-paid
Cons
Lots of travel time, variability of hours
Independence
Science & Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
This job requires self-promotion but it can be whatever you want it to be. The management is very responsive and easy to deal with.
Pros
Independence, schedule, fun students
Cons
Low % of pay goes to you
Tutoring that matches the times
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
The best part of my job is that I am in charge for the most part. There are many different subjects that can cater to the students. Even if I relocate for whatever reason, I can still find students and they can find me at my new location.
Pros
Set my own schedule, Students are great.
Cons
There are none!
Flexible hours and rate
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Forest Hills, NYMay 28, 2015
I work as a contractor, tutoring children at the location of their choice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping somebody to improve their science/computer skills and achieve academic goals.