WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employer Reviews

Not Recommended for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee), RemoteApril 4, 2014
Pros: helps tutors find students
Cons: took too much commission. termination with just cause.
As a tutor, I thought that the website was a great way to find students and everything seemed very hassle free. However, it was important to me that I meet my students prior to the first lesson and Wyzant did not support that. They request for a payment by the student prior to setting up an introductory meeting, and I felt that if you are paying so – more... much for a tutor, it is essential to be able to hold an introductory meeting prior to sign up. However, that is against their policy.

Furthermore, Wyzant expected for me, the tutor, to request for a payment from my student, and I feel that they could work to improve on this. I signed up for the website because I was okay with them taking 40% of my paycheck but I expected to not have to deal with the business aspect of tutoring.

Lastly, one of the pluses of Wyzant is that they ensure the qualifications and background check of their tutors, but Wyzant needs to improve on ensuring the legitimacy of their customers. I was always very concerned about my safety because I wasn't sure whether or not the student requests were legitimate. I have had to ask to meet students at the library because I was too scared to meet them at their house. Some parents were appreciative of this, but some parents were upset and refused to hire me because of this request. – less
% Outs a bit much
Statistics Tutor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 12, 2014
You charge what you want, they take a decent percent out at first but it's what you sign up for
good opportunity to utilize your skills
Teacher (Former Employee), Centreville virginiaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: you are your own boss.
Cons: you need a second job for living
It's a good start for professionals who would like to work from home with no stress and no pressure.
Great Tutoring Agency
Educational Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: agency percentage
Working as a tutor with the help of the WyzAnt tutoring agency has helped me to continue honing my skills and fill in some time with some much needed income.

The website has great resources to help track students, lessons, completed, even mileage.

The percentage taken by the agency in the beginning is high, but the number of hours worked accrue quickly – more... and then the agency gets a lower percentage. – less
Convenient
Contracted Private Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 26, 2014
Enjoy privately tutoring. I can teach at each student's level.
Excellent opportunity to have a direct impact on someone's life.
Private Tutor (Current Employee), Tulsa, OKJanuary 23, 2014
I have throughly enjoyed working through Wyzant.com. They provide an excellent middle man service to acquire students to tutor. A typical tutor sessions lasts between an hour to two hours. The greatest asset I have acquired from this job is being able to read my students. Being able to read my students is key to understanding how they learn. This job – more... is difficult only when the student is not motivated to learn, but I enjoy the challenge of making my lessons interesting and effective for them. The most enjoyable part of tutoring is seeing the 'a-ha' moment when the student finally understands the area in which he was having difficulty. – less
Just a contracting service.
Tutor (Current Employee), AnywhereDecember 31, 2013
Pros: ease of use, payment/recordkeeping
Cons: they take a percentage of profits.
Great way to find students that need tutoring. There is nothing more to tell about the company because they are not involved with anything other than their website.
Do NOT use Wyzant for ANYTHING!!!
Tutor (Former Employee), Pensacola, FLDecember 22, 2013
Pros: tutoring may be of quality, but then again.....
Cons: not special education compliant, management does not care about employees
Wyzant takes a whopping 40% of your earnings, as an instructor and though, they tell you they will drop that percentage down as you increase the amount of hours worked, you really have to be a full time tutor to benefit from that policy.

Wyzant also does not screen their Special Education services properly in accordance with federal and State IDEA – more... laws. All they require is a well-versed paragraph from a prospective tutor explaining their credentials, and then Wyzant claims they are qualified.

Their qualification structure is flawed in many ways, so don't believe it when you read that your Wyzant tutor is supposedly "qualified" in any particular subject. Maybe they are, but maybe they aren't, either.

You can find a reputable college student or public K12 teacher who tutors on the side and they will cost less and be of much better quality and much more efficient than any tutor from Wyzant.

Again, if your child has ANY special needs, like Asperger's, Autism, Learning Disabilities, Emotional Disabilities, or any other health impairments which require Special Education services, DO NOT USE WYZANT!!! THEY DO NOT COMPLY WITH SPECIAL EDUCATION (IDEA) LAWS!!!!!

Oh, and one more by the way, if you do go to work for them and have any problems, don't expect their management to all that helpful. They really don't care about you or your problems and only want people to pay for their services in advance, so they can pocket the pocket. Once in their account, its going to stay there. – less
Great opportunity to be involved in your community and to supplement income.
Tutor (Current Employee), Seattle, WADecember 13, 2013
I've been with Wyzant for six months now and it is the best thing I have found when it comes to finding part-time work. You can set your own hourly rate and meet with students on your own time. It is also nice to be able to meet new people.
Great avenue to supplement income
Tutor (Current Employee), Arlington, VANovember 20, 2013
Pros: flexible work schedule, great pay
I started with Wyzant about a year ago. I initially found them in an effort to supplement my income. I like having the direct deposit, and everything is very well organized on their website. Of course they take a percentage of your hourly rate, but that is quite understandable considering that they provide the venue to find new clients. In less than – more... a year, I was able to increase my percent take back to 75% which is pretty great, considering it was a second job.

Now they are starting to offer online tutoring, which I also think is a great idea, because it will allow me to use my time more effectively and tutor right out of my own home.

What I enjoy the most, is that I improving other's education and teaching them new things that they might not have had the chance to do in school. Moreover, it also helps me improve my own skills that I probably wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, because the best way that you learn is by teaching others.

I've never had any issues finding new students, so all in all, I don't really have a bad thing to say about my experience with them. – less
An excellent way to earn a living doing private education
Tutor, Teacher (Current Employee), Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2013
I am inspired to write this review due to the few negative reviews this company has received. When you begin with the company, you start off earning 60% of what you charge, which increases up to 80% after 400 hours of tutoring delivered. If students purchase packages (most of my clients do) an additional 15% is taken off the price on Wyzant's end, thus – more... Wyzant makes 5% when you are fully established. This is an extremely reasonable fee to charge for the operating costs of the website in my opinion.

Other reviewers have pointed out that Wyzant can be a bit picky filtering the conversations you have with potential clients on message boards. It is true that Wyzant has a built in filter to see if address information, telephone numbers, or emails are provided in ADVANCE of the client registering a form of payment with the website. Albeit a bit intrusive, this makes sense. This system guarantees that an individual is capable of paying and also protects against tutors from using Wyzant's system to find clients and then simply cut them out from their fair share.

I couldn't imagine a better way to run this company. Well... the name could be changed! I am currently making a good hourly wage and really enjoy my job. When you really establish yourself, you can be picky with your clients and not take on anyone who isn't really willing to learn. This way you get to work with people who put in effort and what is more rewarding than helping another find their inner potential? – less
Fair and opportunity-filled workplace.
Tutor (Current Employee), Sparks, NVOctober 29, 2013
Pros: so much opportunity and very fair.
Cons: the percentage it takes out but it's not bad once you have regular tutoring sessions.
I apply to the subjects that I am qualified to tutor in and contact the student. I then set up a time and help the student out and I get paid twice a month with room to advance in pay.
Students not reliable
Tutor (Current Employee), Syracuse, NYOctober 25, 2013
Pros: own schedule
Cons: students not following through
I feel I have offered great tutoring sessions, but students either want the work done for them or they just disappear.
Flexible schedules
Private Tutor (Former Employee), online websiteOctober 12, 2013
Pros: flexible schedules
Cons: sometimes slow in finding work
work your own hours. Sometimes slow in finding assignments.
Expect your tutoring account to be deactivated, 40% pay deductions, and unpaid costs at account closing.
Physics, Math, Programming Tutor (Former Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2013
Pros: great advertisement
Cons: 40% pay deductions, unwarranted account deactivations, unpaid fees at account closure.
I was using WyzAnt as a tutor for several weeks, and initially it worked out quite well, despite the 40% surcharge.

Unfortunately, they use an automated system to monitor your e-mails with the students, and false violation warnings arise quite often.

To make a long story short, I received an e-mail indicating that my account had been deactivated for – more... "e-mail correspondence".

This is awful for several reasons including:

1. WyzAnt still owed me hundreds of dollars that I most likely will never see.

2. A large amount of my clientele had pre-purchased tutoring hours on WyzAnt that they will no longer be able to use now that I can no longer enter lessons in the system.

3. WyzAnt lost a really great tutor.

Sorry WyzAnt, we tried... – less
Valuable things are expensive, that is WyzAnt
Tutor (Current Employee), OHSeptember 21, 2013
When I applied to WyzAnt I waited for 2 months trying to apply to all the opportunities until I got the first one. That student rated me excellent then I got another and another and after 20 hours of tutoring WyzAnt reduce their cut and increased my percentage to 65% and they will continue as much as my hours increased. I think it is fair because I – more... was in need for job and that helped me to find one. direct deposit is very good service, No need to take money from the students or their parents. I increased my wages now because I don't have time for all those students.
Valuable things are expensive and that is WyzAnt – less
An effective on-line tutoring service that puts students in contact with qualified instructors
Italian Language Tutor (Current Employee), Sierra Vista, AZSeptember 11, 2013
A great experience for educators, instructors and trainers to impart their knowledge and job skills to students.
If you are a student and need tutoring, DON'T CHOOSE WYZANT! If you want to be a tutor, RUN!
Former Spanish Tutor (Former Employee), Colorado SpringsAugust 24, 2013
Pros: nothing
Cons: read my review!
I was a tutor for WyzAnt for some months and I had to deal with its Customer "Service" department many times. It is AWFUL! WyzAnt IS basically a scam for tutors. They say you are an "independent contractor" but it is a LIE. Wyzant monitors your e-mail, controls your meetings, PROHIBITS YOU TO HAVE MEETINGS with potential students that they don't like – more... (I have the proofs about it!) and CONTROL how you meet with YOUR students. So, you are like an slave for them and they take 40% of YOUR PROFIT! Besides, they don't pay the taxes, YOU, THE TUTOR HAVE TO PAY THEM. Like a review says here: "They don't comply with state laws and search way beyond what is legally permissible". And, the most important thing: MANY OF MY STUDENTS (because I continue being a tutor and I'm NOT associated with WyzAnt anymore!) complain about HARASSMENT when, for example, they send the money and they don't receive it because there have been a mistake from THE BANK. HARASSMENT! WyzAnt is all about THE PROFITS, THE MONEY and NOT the students and much less the tutors. Other thing: WyzAnt sends TONS OF ADVERTISING, MARKETING INFO... a lot of SPAM, all day, every day. NOTHING about the unfair, illogical and "BIG BROTHER" rules' and then, if you present a complaint about SOMETHING, ANYTHING, they accuse you of things you never did. It is really creepy the treatment they give to their tutors. The last thing (that I will write, because I have sooooo much more information if someone need it): many of my students hired some WyzAnt tutors and they were SO BAD, so AWFUL, they didn't even know about GRAMMAR. I am a proofreader, expert in grammar and native Spanish speaker and the things they told me about many of WyzAnt tutors are embarrassing. Do you know how WyzAnt "KNOWS" that you are a "qualified" tutor? You take a simple, basic and really foolish "test". And, then, YOU BECOME A TUTOR. My advise? Don't waste your time, money and energy with WyzAnt. – less
Review from a tutor
Tutor at WyzAnt (Current Employee), Arlington VAAugust 21, 2013
Pros: lots of jobs!
Cons: compensation is too low for private tutoring
Great company. You can find tutoring jobs in your area from their website. I wish they would increase compensation for tutors, though. Easy payment (direct deposit to checking account). I've always been paid as promised on time for hours tutored. Easy website - very user friendly!
A Joy
Tutor for American Sign Language (ASL) (Current Employee), Marietta, GAAugust 12, 2013
Pros: helping people
Cons: the pay
Its been a pleasure working with this company. Only thing I don't like is that they keep a percentage of my money.

1 2 3

About WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt.com is an online marketplace specializing in matching students with qualified tutors for in-home tutoring.

WyzAnt Tutoring Photos