WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Good Place to Find Quality Students
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Grafton, OH areaAugust 26, 2015
I have found three students on WyzAnt whom I have tutored. While it sometimes takes awhile to attract a new student to tutor (I have answered many more ads than I have had responses to), the students I have tutored, for the most part, have remained loyal to me and been a joy to work with. The ads usually contain enough important information about the needs of the prospective tutee so that I can make an informed decision about whether this would be a good fit for me or not. I particularly like the fact that the city and mileage from my location are included, as I prefer not to drive more than 20 miles for any particular job.

I have found the personnel at WyzAnt to be very helpful. Both times I have called with a concern the problem was taken care of immediately, and I was treated with respect and courtesy. In addition, WyzAnt sends numerous email reminders about mail in my inbox on their site, calendar updates needed, and the submission of a lesson once it has been completed. They seem very concerned about the safety of their tutors, as I also received an email indicating that it looked like a prospective parent was trying to contact me outside of the site, which they strongly advise against. In addition, if I included too much personal information in an email I am trying to send, a reminder pops up indicating that I need to edit the email to avoid exposing myself by sharing too much information. Another feature I appreciate is the opportunity to earn a greater share of the amount charged once I have secured more students or tutored for more hours.

As with any teaching
  more... job, I put many more hours into preparing for lessons than I actually do teaching, all of which is not paid time, but I do enjoy working with students, the flexibility, and the extra cash, which is directly deposited into my bank account.  less
Pros
Safe, easy way to find prospective students
Cons
Spend more time on computer, doing paperwork, and preparing lessons than actually working with students.
Excellent Business Model
Alg 1 & Geom., Spanish, English, & SAT Prep Tutor (Current Employee) –  Richmond, VAMay 11, 2013
I have been an active tutor with WyzAnt since August, 2012. They have been great! The site provides thorough guidance in developing an effective profile page, determining a competitive hourly rate, and making the most of one's tutoring sessions. I have the freedom to select the students with whom I want to work, the distance that I want to travel, and the subjects that I prefer to teach. Best of all, I do not have to deal with money! The WyzAnt team arranges everything.

Giving up 40% was a bitter pill to swallow in the beginning, but that first 20 hours flew by. I just recently went over the 50 hour mark and now I keep 70% of my rate. I think the service they provide is worth it. I go to the site 2-3 times per day to check mail and to view client tutoring requests. I love my students and I always try to give excellent service. If they live too far away, I suggest meeting halfway at a library or other quiet, but public venue. I have had terrific results with that approach.

If you are considering becoming a private tutor, I highly recommend checking out WyzAnt. I have recommended the company to many of my friends, both locally and out of the area.

I couldn't be happier with WyzAnt!
Pros
wyzant handles all the monetary transactions between the tutor and the student.
Cons
distance mileage information between tutor and student seems to be based on zip code, not street address, if the zipcodes cover large areas, your travel distance could be double what is indicated in the client request, this can be bad, with gas prices so high - cuts into profits and time!
If you are a student and need tutoring, DON'T CHOOSE WYZANT! If you want to be a tutor, RUN!
Former Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Colorado SpringsAugust 24, 2013
I was a tutor for WyzAnt for some months and I had to deal with its Customer "Service" department many times. It is AWFUL! WyzAnt IS basically a scam for tutors. They say you are an "independent contractor" but it is a LIE. Wyzant monitors your e-mail, controls your meetings, PROHIBITS YOU TO HAVE MEETINGS with potential students that they don't like (I have the proofs about it!) and CONTROL how you meet with YOUR students. So, you are like an slave for them and they take 40% of YOUR PROFIT! Besides, they don't pay the taxes, YOU, THE TUTOR HAVE TO PAY THEM. Like a review says here: "They don't comply with state laws and search way beyond what is legally permissible". And, the most important thing: MANY OF MY STUDENTS (because I continue being a tutor and I'm NOT associated with WyzAnt anymore!) complain about HARASSMENT when, for example, they send the money and they don't receive it because there have been a mistake from THE BANK. HARASSMENT! WyzAnt is all about THE PROFITS, THE MONEY and NOT the students and much less the tutors. Other thing: WyzAnt sends TONS OF ADVERTISING, MARKETING INFO... a lot of SPAM, all day, every day. NOTHING about the unfair, illogical and "BIG BROTHER" rules' and then, if you present a complaint about SOMETHING, ANYTHING, they accuse you of things you never did. It is really creepy the treatment they give to their tutors. The last thing (that I will write, because I have sooooo much more information if someone need it): many of my students hired some WyzAnt tutors and they were SO BAD, so AWFUL, they didn't even know about GRAMMAR. I am a proofreader,  more... expert in grammar and native Spanish speaker and the things they told me about many of WyzAnt tutors are embarrassing. Do you know how WyzAnt "KNOWS" that you are a "qualified" tutor? You take a simple, basic and really foolish "test". And, then, YOU BECOME A TUTOR. My advise? Don't waste your time, money and energy with WyzAnt.  less
Pros
nothing
Cons
read my review!
Excellent Way To Enhance Tutoring/Teaching Skills Via Short Term Jobs
SPANISH TUTOR (Current Employee) –  MDApril 2, 2013
As I complete courses toward my masters degree in continuing education, I have decided to take on several small jobs as a Spanish/ESL tutor associated with various online companies. One of those companies is WyzAnt. This company lists my online profile, provides me a list of perspective jobs within a 40-mile radius of my home, processes payments, and mediates any issues that arise. I do not like that WyzAnt takes such a high percentage of my pay for the services they provide. Nevertheless. this system has worked well for me for over five years, and WyzAnt has always been very professional and helpful with questions.

Every day, I search through WyzAnt's job listings for my area and apply for any Spanish/ESL teaching positions for which I feel I qualify. Students may also query my availability via my profile. All e-mails with clients are to be sent through WyzAnt, and contact information is not to be exchanged until WyzAnt receives client billing information and tutoring sessions have actually been arranged.

The hardest part of my job is that most lessons only last a few weeks. While I have enjoyed working with students of different skill levels and backgrounds, I would prefer to teach actual classrooms with more students at a time over longer time periods. I am hoping to be certified soon as a teacher, but in the interim, the experience I gain through WyzAnt continues to mold my teaching style for future classes. I have enjoyed the opportunities to use over 30 years of work experience to help others achieve Spanish/English language-related goals.
Adult Students Not Able To Meet Their Tutors
Former Employee (Former Employee) –  Little RockJune 12, 2014
My first tutor job was two weeks ago, everything went fine. This second job, the tutee that I was to meet in person because that is what she wanted. So in order to do that we had to make arrangements to meet at a cafe. I needed to get paid 100% and I went outside the Wyzant fee. I needed my money not on the 15th or the 1st,which is Wyzant's payday but now. I already sent my first lesson. I figured I did this with 1st tutee, which was the parents of a college aged student. They became upset b/c I posted my first lesson w/o the material being sent to me and Wyzant charged them. I had to go to bed and it was discussed with the mother and I thought she was going to send it that night. She didn't so I cancelled the lesson and they couldn't be charged so I had to make my arrangements outside Wyzant.
I didn't appreciate Wyzant taking 60% and I got 40% of the pay. For the next tutor I made arrangements for the going over lesson meeting. Wyzant deactiviated my account w/o warning (yes later I found out I broke their policy but I had to) They do not provide an atmosphere for tutors to meet their tutees. I couldn't create a "lesson plan" through their set-up for this particular lesson. The tuteee needed a face-to-face tutoring session. This can't be done through their company. We're not allow of zero contact,which is understandable for safety reasons. But not all tutees are children some are adults.
Wyzant sucks. It's about them and their students and Tutors get screwed over. Greedy! Greedy! Greedy! Save yourself time and skip going through their service and find another or just advertise
  more... on your own. Good luck!  less
Pros
there is none!
Cons
see the review!
An excellent way to earn a living doing private education
Tutor, Teacher (Current Employee) –  Chicago, ILNovember 18, 2013
I am inspired to write this review due to the few negative reviews this company has received. When you begin with the company, you start off earning 60% of what you charge, which increases up to 80% after 400 hours of tutoring delivered. If students purchase packages (most of my clients do) an additional 15% is taken off the price on Wyzant's end, thus Wyzant makes 5% when you are fully established. This is an extremely reasonable fee to charge for the operating costs of the website in my opinion.

Other reviewers have pointed out that Wyzant can be a bit picky filtering the conversations you have with potential clients on message boards. It is true that Wyzant has a built in filter to see if address information, telephone numbers, or emails are provided in ADVANCE of the client registering a form of payment with the website. Albeit a bit intrusive, this makes sense. This system guarantees that an individual is capable of paying and also protects against tutors from using Wyzant's system to find clients and then simply cut them out from their fair share.

I couldn't imagine a better way to run this company. Well... the name could be changed! I am currently making a good hourly wage and really enjoy my job. When you really establish yourself, you can be picky with your clients and not take on anyone who isn't really willing to learn. This way you get to work with people who put in effort and what is more rewarding than helping another find their inner potential?
Rewarding tutor work with flexibility, good pay, & set own policies.
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2015
I commute to my student's home for my one tutoring job, and it is within my stated preferred commute radius of 10 miles. One tutoring session lasts one hour at a time, and we meet once per week. At present I have just this one session per week. My student is in middle school, and I'm tutoring him in PreAlgebra. The part about this job that I like the best is helping my student to better retain what he learns, assisting him towards greater academic success, and just plain getting to watch that proverbial "light bulb" turn on through his eyes and smile when he "gets it." It is overall a very rewarding job. The part about this job that is the most challenging is at times my student avoids writing out the steps of the solution to the given math problem, which is often the reason he does less than his best on tests. I'm working with him to get in a habit of writing the steps down, so that even if he gets the answer wrong, he can get partial credit for working the problem (partially) correctly, and it also helps a lot towards better retention of the material. The most difficult part of the job is finding more tutoring jobs this close to the end of the academic year, and just not having the hours yet that I would really like to have. Ideally, I would like to have 20 hours worth of session time, since prep time and commute time are involved also, which should render the work essentially full time. Overall, aside from the problem of lack of hours at present, this job is a very rewarding and satisfying one.
Pros
Rewarding, flexible, set own schedule and policies.
Cons
Lack of available jobs to start at this time of the academic year.
Do NOT use Wyzant for ANYTHING!!!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Pensacola, FLDecember 22, 2013
Wyzant takes a whopping 40% of your earnings, as an instructor and though, they tell you they will drop that percentage down as you increase the amount of hours worked, you really have to be a full time tutor to benefit from that policy.

Wyzant also does not screen their Special Education services properly in accordance with federal and State IDEA laws. All they require is a well-versed paragraph from a prospective tutor explaining their credentials, and then Wyzant claims they are qualified.

Their qualification structure is flawed in many ways, so don't believe it when you read that your Wyzant tutor is supposedly "qualified" in any particular subject. Maybe they are, but maybe they aren't, either.

You can find a reputable college student or public K12 teacher who tutors on the side and they will cost less and be of much better quality and much more efficient than any tutor from Wyzant.

Again, if your child has ANY special needs, like Asperger's, Autism, Learning Disabilities, Emotional Disabilities, or any other health impairments which require Special Education services, DO NOT USE WYZANT!!! THEY DO NOT COMPLY WITH SPECIAL EDUCATION (IDEA) LAWS!!!!!

Oh, and one more by the way, if you do go to work for them and have any problems, don't expect their management to all that helpful. They really don't care about you or your problems and only want people to pay for their services in advance, so they can pocket the pocket. Once in their account, its going to stay there.
Pros
tutoring may be of quality, but then again.....
Cons
not special education compliant, management does not care about employees
Mixed experience - ultimately, you're on your own
Tutor, Teacher, Admissions Advisor (Former Employee) –  New Haven, CTJanuary 6, 2015
Think of Wyzant as a dating site - there are plenty of frogs among the princes. Also, Wyzant is no fairy godmother. (sorry about the mixed metaphors)

I was able to find a decent number of good students to tutor, but about 20-25% turned out to be irresponsible, or their parents were controlling and dishonest. In a couple cases the parents arbitrarily rescheduled or cancelled & then objected to the cancellation fee. Wyzant then sided with the parent despite clear policies to the contrary. I also had a parent second-guess my chemistry tutoring when she clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

Overall not that bad an experience, but be aware that it's just a matching service, you're on your own, and they may hang you out to dry if it suits them.

Regarding student matches, be aware that in most markets there are plenty of tutors, so respond to posts the instant you see them. Any that are older than 24 hours don't bother with, they're probably setting up their first meeting already.

Hope this helps!
Pros
flexibility; practically self-employment
Cons
no loyalty to tutors; no pre-screen of students
Great avenue to supplement income
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Arlington, VANovember 20, 2013
I started with Wyzant about a year ago. I initially found them in an effort to supplement my income. I like having the direct deposit, and everything is very well organized on their website. Of course they take a percentage of your hourly rate, but that is quite understandable considering that they provide the venue to find new clients. In less than a year, I was able to increase my percent take back to 75% which is pretty great, considering it was a second job.

Now they are starting to offer online tutoring, which I also think is a great idea, because it will allow me to use my time more effectively and tutor right out of my own home.

What I enjoy the most, is that I improving other's education and teaching them new things that they might not have had the chance to do in school. Moreover, it also helps me improve my own skills that I probably wouldn't have been able to do otherwise, because the best way that you learn is by teaching others.

I've never had any issues finding new students, so all in all, I don't really have a bad thing to say about my experience with them.
Pros
flexible work schedule, great pay

Want to know more about WyzAnt Tutoring?

Ask a question
Not Recommended for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee) –  RemoteApril 4, 2014
As a tutor, I thought that the website was a great way to find students and everything seemed very hassle free. However, it was important to me that I meet my students prior to the first lesson and Wyzant did not support that. They request for a payment by the student prior to setting up an introductory meeting, and I felt that if you are paying so much for a tutor, it is essential to be able to hold an introductory meeting prior to sign up. However, that is against their policy.

Furthermore, Wyzant expected for me, the tutor, to request for a payment from my student, and I feel that they could work to improve on this. I signed up for the website because I was okay with them taking 40% of my paycheck but I expected to not have to deal with the business aspect of tutoring.

Lastly, one of the pluses of Wyzant is that they ensure the qualifications and background check of their tutors, but Wyzant needs to improve on ensuring the legitimacy of their customers. I was always very concerned about my safety because I wasn't sure whether or not the student requests were legitimate. I have had to ask to meet students at the library because I was too scared to meet them at their house. Some parents were appreciative of this, but some parents were upset and refused to hire me because of this request.
Pros
helps tutors find students
Cons
took too much commission. termination with just cause.
Wyzant is the best!
language arts, study skills, test prep (Current Employee) –  Basking Ridge, NJJuly 25, 2013
The life of a Wyzant tutor is rewarding because students make progress, develop trust in you, and share their stories with you; tutors learn how to fine tune their teaching methods, develop a rapport with parents, and are able to self-refect and ask the question: am I doing my best to help this student and, what else can I do to help them succeed? Wyzant reps are always ready to help the tutors with their questions and offer suggestions. Preparing for each lesson requires special attention to each student's specific needs; the most enjoyable part of the job is delivering the lesson; and the reward is seeing the smiling faces of the students when their self-confidence blossoms and they get higher grades. I learned that smart parents are proactive; they don't delay in offering tutoring to their children, and that each student has hidden gifts that rise and shine over a period of time.
Pros
parent testimonials enhance tutor's visibility and job offers
Cons
many parents desire the same tutoring time each day
Not conducive to helping each other
Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineFebruary 9, 2016
While Wyzant provides a convenient profile for tutors and offers services such as background checks, it skims a large percentage from the tutors, threatens surveillance if you try to exchange personal contact information (phone or email), and does a disservice to what tutoring should be. If Wyzant valued education and people helping people they would focus less on pushing their proprietary programs (Wyzant email, online blackboard) and more on how to BEST help the tutors connect with the students. They would also empower tutors, who are already busy enough with their coursework, research, and/or teaching, by letting them be paid what they are worth, and not taking an exorbitant proportion of the pay.

Pros:
Convenient Profile
Background Check

Cons:
Takes 40% of tutor pay
Requires communication to be through Wyzant email
Makes deleting an account difficult - have to contact them to request it removed
Not interested in students learning or tutors flourishing, only interested in company bottom line
Good web portal but no access to managment for feedback
Tuor (Former Employee) –  WyzAnt tutoring contractorJanuary 19, 2016
Wyzant provides a good portal for finding students to tutor but no feedback from management. They take 40% of what you charge and can sever the relationship with the tutor at any time w/o cause. Their advertisement video shows a tutor coming to a student's home but that is not endorsed in company philosophy. I always chose a neutral place like a library or church, still my account was deactivated w/ excellent reviews and feedback. The company refused to inform me why they closed my account. I hold teaching licensure in 2 states and have excellent references. I enjoyed helping my high school students learn and discover subject matter. I feel the company exploits desperate parents and some college students looking for a solution to not having studied until a week before their final exam.
Pros
Decent web portal
Cons
Company does not provide feedback and wants $ from desperate people wanting a quick fix
Expect your tutoring account to be deactivated, 40% pay deductions, and unpaid costs at account closing.
Physics, Math, Programming Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAOctober 8, 2013
I was using WyzAnt as a tutor for several weeks, and initially it worked out quite well, despite the 40% surcharge.

Unfortunately, they use an automated system to monitor your e-mails with the students, and false violation warnings arise quite often.

To make a long story short, I received an e-mail indicating that my account had been deactivated for "e-mail correspondence".

This is awful for several reasons including:

1. WyzAnt still owed me hundreds of dollars that I most likely will never see.

2. A large amount of my clientele had pre-purchased tutoring hours on WyzAnt that they will no longer be able to use now that I can no longer enter lessons in the system.

3. WyzAnt lost a really great tutor.

Sorry WyzAnt, we tried...
Pros
great advertisement
Cons
40% pay deductions, unwarranted account deactivations, unpaid fees at account closure.
Great tutoring opportunities for motivated tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Detroit, MIMay 26, 2015
I have enjoyed using WyzAnt's services to help me find local tutees for the last six months. The website is easy to use, and I have always had good experiences with interacting with the WyzAnt team. I do think the percentage they take of my rate is quite high, even though I'm in the 50+ hours range (so now they get 30%)... I do appreciate the site and apps they have created for our use (both tutors and tutees), but I wish there was something on their site to show us where they are putting that money to use.

Easy to set your own hours and work as much or as little as you like via WyzAnt. If there were demand, I could probably do this full time. For me, it is a nice way to earn a little extra.
Pros
Scheduling, technology updates, friendly staff, set my own rate
Cons
Large cut of my rate
Don't sign up to be a tutor!
Tutor (Former Employee) –  HoustonAugust 7, 2014
Don't sign up to be a tutor! I signed up about a year ago and was approved but I never went on any sessions. A year later, I'm ready to start and I get online, take a few more subject area tests, and even pay for the background to make me more attractive to students and parents. After passing 10 subject tests and the background check, I get an e-mail that I've been rejected from the program. Thanks for letting me spend my money on the background and THEN denying me.

I am currently in a teacher training program, so teaching is my passion. I'm also on the Dean's list at my current college so I don't think my education or intelligence is the issue. If it's because they have a large amount of tutors and don't need more, they should tell you this before you spend your money on the background check. This company seems very unprofessional, unethical, and I would not recommend them to anyone.
Fantastic and flexible way for private tutors to connect with students in their area.
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNMay 16, 2015
As an independent tutor for WyzAnt, my office has been wherever it needed to be to meet the needs of my students. There are no real "typical" days as a private tutor, which is something I love about it. However, this also means that it can be a very unstable career. While I love getting the opportunity to connect with the students that I want to work with, and the freedom to be unencumbered by the public school system, there is little room for growth or advancement in this field. Though WyzAnt technically offers a wide range of subjects for tutors and students to choose from, the majority of the students are there for strictly academic tutoring. While I have enjoyed this, and it has allowed me to use both my BA in English Literature and my experiences in graduate school, I think I would enjoy the opportunity to take this experience beyond the purely academic and into both the practical and the artistic.
It's a scam
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Torrance, CASeptember 29, 2014
This site is a scam.

I signed up online, and I had two tutoring sessions.

After I entered my two sessions they asked for my social security, so that they can verify if I am allowed to work legally in the US. They did this after billing the client, so if you are not allowed to work in the US, they take 100% of the money. They do not ask for your social security before your tutoring session, so they can take the entire profit if do not have a valid social security. This also means they allow people to work illegally in the US, but take all profits.

I entered my social security and was promised a payment of 60% of the total payment from client. Soon after I received an email stating I had violated the terms of use and as a result my account has been deactivated. I never violated the terms of use, and they did not prove it. The entire amount for tutoring three hours was kept by Wyzant. I have been trying to contact the company for a while but they are not answering.

This company has stolen money from me and beached its contract.
Cons
scam
Great students, poor overly invasive management
English, SAT tutor (Former Employee) –  BostonDecember 4, 2012
Pros: the students are great
Cons: You're never an "independent contractor". Wyzant monitors your email, controls your meeting and pay and how you meet with clients. They also conduct security screenings as employers and if you refuse because you don't know who is asking for the screen, which is illegal, they drop you. They don't comply with state laws and search way beyond what is legally permissible. My issue with this is I don't know how they store it or who's asking for it, as I provide my own extensive screening to parents directly. As a 3rd party provider they just can't do this. Way too "Big Brother" and they don't secure payments from people who have problems. Just not worth it.
Pros
students are awesome
Cons
company sucks, acts like employer but doesn't pay taxes