WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Making my tutoring business easy
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2017
Great way to find clients for your tutoring business. Certifies tutors in subjects so clients know they are hiring competent tutors. I tutored math, physics, and CAD. Learned a lot about how to share my knowledge with other students efficiently and effectively. Hardest part of job was driving all over Washington, DC metro area, and finding mutually-agreeable public meeting places for tutoring. Most enjoyable part of job was gratitude from students and parents as to how much I helped their studies.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Lots of travel
Good place to start tutoring
Tutor (Current Employee) –  onlineMarch 17, 2017
Wyzant provides advertisement and students for your tutoring "career". Thus, they take 30% of your hourly rate once you reach 50 hours of tutoring (before that they take 40%). If you do not mind the amount of money they make, it is fine as a supplemental/part-time income. I've been very fortunate to tutor bright students who just needed a little more confidence or extra time to study over their course work. I have found the experience tutoring to be overall a very positive one!
Excellent Platform, Great Customer Service
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 14, 2017
Wyzant takes the hassle out of tutoring, especially for those of us just starting out, like me. They review and either approve my qualifications for each subject I would like to tutor in, give advice on what kind of service to provide and jobs to take on, and do a great job of alerting me of when other jobs come up. They also have a second to none customer service line - when I had a complicated issue with a parent, Wyzant's customer service person on the phone was both competent and caring in helping me make sense of how to address it. I recommend 100%.
Pros
Awesome Customer Service, Payment Handled on Wyzant's End
Cons
Can Take Some Time to Start Making Bigger Amounts of Money
Increased Demand Due To Wide Network
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2017
The demand for my tutorial services has never been as good as this! Wyzant's access to a wide network connects me, the tutor, to job prospects both within and beyond the Wyzant website, thus keeping demand for my services at an all time HIGH! My fee is negotiable. Clients are generally honorable and respect terms at the get go.
As a tutor, I keep to the one-hour session limit in order to reach objectives efficiently and quickly.
Pros
Excellent customer service
Cons
Limit of ten client prospects per day.
Tutoring all ranges of people in life
Academic Tutor for Hire (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 10, 2017
At WyzAnt.com I worked as an Academic Tutor for Hire. You are able to set your own pay rate and hours.

I teach students/business men and women, kids all the way up to adults in the fields of Autodesk Maya (3D Program), Adobe Photoshop CS2-5, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft PowerPoint, Video Production, etc.
Pros
Set own schedule and pay rate
Cons
N/A
Will not let you reaply later
N/a (Former Employee) –  N/aNovember 16, 2016
They charged me for a background check of 7.99 and never explained why I was declined. I was in college and not yet certified. Guess the early bird doesn't get the worm because here it is 2 years later and I'm just now getting my refund, I can't reapply even though I am officially certified, and apparently they take a large percentage of what you make. Go to varsity tutor, don't waste your time on these crooks.
Pros
Nothibg
Cons
Take your money without an explanation for decline
It's a tutoring website where students can get the tutor they desire
Spanish tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 24, 2017
It's a very efficient company which is up to date with technology. Students write to you by a message system that the company offers you and you can communicate with the student and set up classes. They have access to your profile and police record. It's a very safe environment.
Independent contracting made easy
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ocean, NJFebruary 4, 2017
WyzAnt is a great tool for building a tutoring business from the ground up. As an independent contractor using the company for leads and job postings, I find that WyzAnt made it easy to grow my tutoring business and allow me to have many more students than I would have through just word-of-mouth.
Wyzant Treats Tutors Horribly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2016
Wyzant is a waste of time. They take almost half of the fee from the tutors, on top of charging students absurd fees. They are basically pimping out tutors for very little pay. They say you get more $ the more hours you work but it's still nearly half, and basically impossible to reach that point if you're just doing this as a side thing. On top of this, they will cancel your account out of the blue due to "violation of terms of use" with no explanation (I've heard of this happening to many tutors) Not worth your time.
Effective medium for Tutoring
Independent Contractor as Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2016
It's nice to have many options in the tutoring business and Wyzant makes it easy. Most of the administrative aspects of running an independent tutoring business are at your fingertips using the App. And the transactions are regulated by the company so that all of the important information is available up front.
Pros
clarifies the administrative, provides options
Cons
fees

Want to know more about WyzAnt Tutoring?

Ask a question
Bad Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
With the flexibility, I understand many giving positive reviews. But wanted to pour my unfortunate negative experience out. After ripping me off by taking 60% of my tutoring sessions, one day they closed my account for no reason. Wyzant will survive today and probably gone tomorrow like dinosaurs.
Pros
Able to see all the available jobs out of your reach
Cons
Getting your account closed for no reason
Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Wyzant Really Bad For New Tutors
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 25, 2016
Wyzant makes it really difficult to understand how to get started as a new tutor. If you do not complete there convoluted process correctly within 3 tries, you will NOT be considered to be a tutor. Without explanation, they will just say, "Sorry you don't qualify", in so many words, without giving much of a reason. Don't waste your time plus they will take a large portion of what you make.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Their process is convoluted and confusing
not well manged
Japanese and art Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2017
There was some miscommunication with emails, and sometimes it was confusing.
However, I got many great students and made lots of friends form the experience. I appreciate that they gave me the experience.
Great company
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 27, 2017
Been with Wyzant since 2009. Great tutoring company.Great online tutoring platform to teach online students many subjects including math, with ability to demonstrate concepts.
Flexible hours good pay
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2017
Hardest part of job is finding students near you to tutor. Another bad thing about new tutors is that wyzant keeps 40% of whatever you make. I charge 40$ an hour only to get 22$.
Great, just need more hours.
Tutor-English & French (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CANovember 9, 2016
The folks who answer the phones are very bright, courteous & have, so far, answered every question I have had, appropriately & helpfully. I have enjoyed working with each and every student I have tutored!
Links up tutors and students
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2016
It is hard to get started on the site without reviews or references. Also Wyzant takes 40% of your earnings which is a lot. It takes time to make this worthwhile, plus the cost of commuting up to an hour for one hour's work.
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Good Organization
piano and voice private instructor (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 6, 2016
Good company but acquiring students was the most difficult part. Loved teaching private students through their platform.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.

65%