WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employer Reviews

Internet Tutor Services Company
Mathematics and SAT/ACT Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: provides a wide range of tutors for students to select from
Cons: no benefits, no advancement opportunities
This company provides quality tutoring services via internet for students at all grade levels as well as test preparation for college admission. The site allows the tutor to develop a detailed profile, including but not limited to references, job experience, background check, skills, subjects of expertise, etc.
Enjoy teaching various students privately.
Private Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: schedule classes individually with each student
Cons: never interact with employer
Getting to know student and her family. Help her acclimate to US culture. We discuss differences between her home culture and ours.
Mixed experience - ultimately, you're on your own
Tutor, Teacher, Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexibility; practically self-employment
Cons: no loyalty to tutors; no pre-screen of students
Think of Wyzant as a dating site - there are plenty of frogs among the princes. Also, Wyzant is no fairy godmother. (sorry about the mixed metaphors)

I was able to find a decent number of good students to tutor, but about 20-25% turned out to be irresponsible, or their parents were controlling and dishonest. In a couple cases the parents arbitrarily rescheduled or cancelled & then objected to the cancellation fee. Wyzant then sided with the parent despite clear policies to the contrary. I also had a parent second-guess my chemistry tutoring when she clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

Overall not that bad an experience, but be aware that it's just a matching service, you're on your own, and they may hang you out to dry if it suits them.

Regarding student matches, be aware that in most markets there are plenty of tutors, so respond to posts the instant you see them. Any that are older than 24 hours don't bother with, they're probably setting up their first meeting already.

Hope this helps!
xx
"unqualified" with Ph.D in my subject (Former Employee), AZNovember 25, 2014
Pros: xx
Cons: xx
Bull. They can't evaluate a tutor because they are married to their clicky-clicky culture. The outstanding and over-qualified have the same chance to tutor here as the incompetent 20 somethings.
Excellent source of income. Great platform
Science tutor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 7, 2014
Pros: new clients, easy to use, accessibility, etc
Cons: the commission is a little steep at first
I set my own hours. I contact the students that I want. New students can contact me. I get to set my own rate. Everything is easily accessible and easy to use from both a tutor perspective as well as my clients. Overall, I love it.
Decent job for tutors
English Tutor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2014
Pros: no real pros
Cons: hard to find clients
Decent job but it was difficult to find and maintain working clientele.
It's a scam
Tutor (Former Employee), Torrance, CASeptember 29, 2014
Cons: scam
This site is a scam.

I signed up online, and I had two tutoring sessions.

After I entered my two sessions they asked for my social security, so that they can verify if I am allowed to work legally in the US. They did this after billing the client, so if you are not allowed to work in the US, they take 100% of the money. They do not ask for your social security before your tutoring session, so they can take the entire profit if do not have a valid social security. This also means they allow people to work illegally in the US, but take all profits.

I entered my social security and was promised a payment of 60% of the total payment from client. Soon after I received an email stating I had violated the terms of use and as a result my account has been deactivated. I never violated the terms of use, and they did not prove it. The entire amount for tutoring three hours was kept by Wyzant. I have been trying to contact the company for a while but they are not answering.

This company has stolen money from me and beached its contract.
Ability to choose what jobs you wanted to work
Tutor, Trainer and Teacher (Former Employee), Racine, WISeptember 27, 2014
Pros: choose what jobs you wanted to work. meet new people.
Cons: not enough work in close vicinity to home. low rate for tutoring.
Able to use my Excel skill set to help others. Ability to choose jobs you wanted to tutor people. Set my own work schedule. All correspondence was on the website to keep everything secure. I would have to meet people at a public place.
Wyzant is a wonderful organization to work with as a private tutor. They provide what I need from a business standpoint. I've had a great experience.
Tutor (Current Employee), Morgan Hill, CaliforniaAugust 30, 2014
As a private tutor, there are many issues you must consider from a business perspective. Wyzant has thought through the most critical issues and provided the tutor with a wonderful solution. They provide name recognition, marketing, forums, your personal web site, secure billing, and much more. Their percentage rate is fair and decreases over time, giving the tutor more and more earning potential. Also, as your time and reputation in tutoring builds within your community, your ranking in the available tutor listing rises as well. This also gives the tutor more opportunity. Wyzant is a wonderful organization to work with as a private tutor.
Don't sign up to be a tutor!
Tutor (Former Employee), HoustonAugust 7, 2014
Don't sign up to be a tutor! I signed up about a year ago and was approved but I never went on any sessions. A year later, I'm ready to start and I get online, take a few more subject area tests, and even pay for the background to make me more attractive to students and parents. After passing 10 subject tests and the background check, I get an e-mail that I've been rejected from the program. Thanks for letting me spend my money on the background and THEN denying me.

I am currently in a teacher training program, so teaching is my passion. I'm also on the Dean's list at my current college so I don't think my education or intelligence is the issue. If it's because they have a large amount of tutors and don't need more, they should tell you this before you spend your money on the background check. This company seems very unprofessional, unethical, and I would not recommend them to anyone.
Great opportunity to motivate students in mathematics
Math Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJuly 26, 2014
Pros: you choose your own schedule
Cons: sometimes hard to get clients
This job is great because I am able to attend school, while working. You can choose your own schedule. I work with basically the students I tutor. This job is more of an independent job.
Adult Students Not Able To Meet Their Tutors
Former Employee (Former Employee), Little RockJune 12, 2014
Pros: there is none!
Cons: see the review!
My first tutor job was two weeks ago, everything went fine. This second job, the tutee that I was to meet in person because that is what she wanted. So in order to do that we had to make arrangements to meet at a cafe. I needed to get paid 100% and I went outside the Wyzant fee. I needed my money not on the 15th or the 1st,which is Wyzant's payday but now. I already sent my first lesson. I figured I did this with 1st tutee, which was the parents of a college aged student. They became upset b/c I posted my first lesson w/o the material being sent to me and Wyzant charged them. I had to go to bed and it was discussed with the mother and I thought she was going to send it that night. She didn't so I cancelled the lesson and they couldn't be charged so I had to make my arrangements outside Wyzant.
I didn't appreciate Wyzant taking 60% and I got 40% of the pay. For the next tutor I made arrangements for the going over lesson meeting. Wyzant deactiviated my account w/o warning (yes later I found out I broke their policy but I had to) They do not provide an atmosphere for tutors to meet their tutees. I couldn't create a "lesson plan" through their set-up for this particular lesson. The tuteee needed a face-to-face tutoring session. This can't be done through their company. We're not allow of zero contact,which is understandable for safety reasons. But not all tutees are children some are adults.
Wyzant sucks. It's about them and their students and Tutors get screwed over. Greedy! Greedy! Greedy! Save yourself time and skip going through their service and find another or just advertise on your own. Good luck!
Flexible Scheduling
Private Academic Tutor (Current Employee), San Diego, CAJune 6, 2014
Pros: flexible
Cons: 35% pay cut, unstable work
Great administration website for getting tutors jobs. Pay cut is a little bit steep, but great for networking.
Tutors, beware! Wyzant does NOT care about tutors
Tutor (Current Employee), New York, NYJune 3, 2014
Pros: nothing
Cons: horrible for tutors, awful customer service, will allow students to post any ridiculous feedback
Wyzant does not cater to tutors whatsoever. The company tries to do everything for the convenience of the students and forgets that without tutors, Wyzant makes NO money, seeing that all work is performed by tutors, and Wyzant gets commissions. Any crazy student and his/her family members can post slanderous feedback, and Wyzant will post it, and tell the tutor that the tutor can just void the lesson and not get paid, and only in that case the review will disappear. Even though tutors are independent contractors who have the 100% decision power as to which students to tutor and which to drop, Wyzant pressures tutors to tutor students even when the tutor does not feel comfortable to do so.
Great way to spend time while searching for full time work
tutor (Current Employee), Oswego, ILApril 28, 2014
Pros: create your own schedule
Cons: wyzant takes 40% of your pay to start. decreases as you log more hours, but still.
Wyzant Tutoring is a decent company whose sole purpose is to connect people. Mostly parents with tutors. That hardest part of the job is finding students close to where you live without having to drive more than 40 minutes for an hour long tutoring session. The most enjoyable part of the job is actually working with students and watching them improve.

I don't usually deal with the company Wyzant Company itself unless I have an issue.
Great platform for tutors.
Tutor (Current Employee), San Francisco Bay Area and on-lineApril 17, 2014
The platform connects students with tutors and protects both.
Not Recommended for Tutors
Tutor (Former Employee), RemoteApril 4, 2014
Pros: helps tutors find students
Cons: took too much commission. termination with just cause.
As a tutor, I thought that the website was a great way to find students and everything seemed very hassle free. However, it was important to me that I meet my students prior to the first lesson and Wyzant did not support that. They request for a payment by the student prior to setting up an introductory meeting, and I felt that if you are paying so much for a tutor, it is essential to be able to hold an introductory meeting prior to sign up. However, that is against their policy.

Furthermore, Wyzant expected for me, the tutor, to request for a payment from my student, and I feel that they could work to improve on this. I signed up for the website because I was okay with them taking 40% of my paycheck but I expected to not have to deal with the business aspect of tutoring.

Lastly, one of the pluses of Wyzant is that they ensure the qualifications and background check of their tutors, but Wyzant needs to improve on ensuring the legitimacy of their customers. I was always very concerned about my safety because I wasn't sure whether or not the student requests were legitimate. I have had to ask to meet students at the library because I was too scared to meet them at their house. Some parents were appreciative of this, but some parents were upset and refused to hire me because of this request.
% Outs a bit much
Statistics Tutor (Former Employee), Fayetteville, NCMarch 12, 2014
You charge what you want, they take a decent percent out at first but it's what you sign up for
good opportunity to utilize your skills
Teacher (Former Employee), Centreville virginiaFebruary 15, 2014
Pros: you are your own boss.
Cons: you need a second job for living
It's a good start for professionals who would like to work from home with no stress and no pressure.
Great Tutoring Agency
Educational Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 28, 2014
Pros: flexibility
Cons: agency percentage
Working as a tutor with the help of the WyzAnt tutoring agency has helped me to continue honing my skills and fill in some time with some much needed income.

The website has great resources to help track students, lessons, completed, even mileage.

The percentage taken by the agency in the beginning is high, but the number of hours worked accrue quickly and then the agency gets a lower percentage.

1 2 3

About WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt.com is an online marketplace specializing in matching students with qualified tutors for in-home tutoring.