WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Will not let you reaply later
N/a (Former Employee) –  N/aNovember 16, 2016
They charged me for a background check of 7.99 and never explained why I was declined. I was in college and not yet certified. Guess the early bird doesn't get the worm because here it is 2 years later and I'm just now getting my refund, I can't reapply even though I am officially certified, and apparently they take a large percentage of what you make. Go to varsity tutor, don't waste your time on these crooks.
Pros
Nothibg
Cons
Take your money without an explanation for decline
Great, just need more hours.
Tutor-English & French (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CANovember 9, 2016
The folks who answer the phones are very bright, courteous & have, so far, answered every question I have had, appropriately & helpfully. I have enjoyed working with each and every student I have tutored!
Good Organization
piano and voice private instructor (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 6, 2016
Good company but acquiring students was the most difficult part. Loved teaching private students through their platform.
Very Lucrative and Laid-Back Forum
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 30, 2016
As an employ, I love WyzAnt. Being a tutor is difficult unless you have access to people who can network for you, and network well. WyzAnt eliminates that need. They network for you.

Yes, they take a large percentage of your fees, but it's not unreasonable, and the more hours you tutor the less percentage they take. If you start out with a moderate but understandable fee, you still make a great hourly profit off of tutoring for WyzAnt. I do this on the side while being an adjunct for community college, and the extra income has really helped keep me afloat.

They notify you of opportunities for tutoring in your area regularly, if not daily. They require the students/parents put their payment info on file before you can schedule an appointment with them, so that if something goes wrong, no matter what you will get your money. That is a very generous and relieving thing to do.

If you're trying to be a tutor as a full-time profession, that's a little different. WyzAnt, in my opinion, is not formatted for that kind of goal. It is preposterous to judge it based on that criteria. WyzAnt is for people who want to make a decent amount of money at their own time and rate, without the hassle of forms or classrooms or anything else. They make it easy to make money without a lot of complicated secondary work on your part.

I'd highly recommend using WyzAnt if you're anyone who wants to make extra money on the side (in addition to a full-time job or full-time school schedule, for example) and has the ability to effectively teach a student something in any field. Look
  more... into it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.  less
Pros
Convenient scheduling, you're your own boss, goes by your pace and standards
Cons
Percentage taken from tutoring fee
Wyzant Treats Tutors Horribly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2016
Wyzant is a waste of time. They take almost half of the fee from the tutors, on top of charging students absurd fees. They are basically pimping out tutors for very little pay. They say you get more $ the more hours you work but it's still nearly half, and basically impossible to reach that point if you're just doing this as a side thing. On top of this, they will cancel your account out of the blue due to "violation of terms of use" with no explanation (I've heard of this happening to many tutors) Not worth your time.
Cons
Links up tutors and students
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2016
It is hard to get started on the site without reviews or references. Also Wyzant takes 40% of your earnings which is a lot. It takes time to make this worthwhile, plus the cost of commuting up to an hour for one hour's work.
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Good system for connecting with students and managing payment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 14, 2016
I've really enjoyed tutoring through Wyzant. They have a comprehensive system for getting approved for new subjects, lots of job listings for online and in-person lessons, and great customer service by phone. Their payment system (wait until payment information is on file to schedule a lesson, and everyone has to approve a rate change) allows me to conduct lessons without awkwardly having to take time out to discuss money. I also like the system by which students can review their tutors, and tutors are able to share selected reviews with new potential students.

Difficult things about tutoring through Wyzant: You can only take each certification test once, so make sure that you study up. They're short, which means they don't take much time, but if you miss a few questions (for instance, on adjective endings, in a foreign language test) you can never tutor in that subject. Most postings you apply to won't get you a response- I've been applying to about 15 jobs a week through Wyzant for a month or two, and have only gotten responses from 9 students (3 of whom have become students.) That means it's not great as a full-time job. I also rated it 3 stars for compensation/benefits, because you will never receive the full amount you are charging. You will receive 60-80% of your rate charged, depending how many hours you've tutored. That means that if you charge $30 an hour, you start off only making $18 an hour, despite the fact that your students are paying $30 per hour plus a service charge to Wyzant. Still, $18 per hour is better than a lot of other jobs, and Wyzant allows you
  more... to adjust the rate charged for an individual student or your default rate.

Their system allows me to connect to students online and in person, arrange a time to meet, and not worry about payment. It helps me show of my expertise and become approved (or show interest, if I don't have the time to get approved yet) in as many areas as I want. I never have to worry about a student not paying me for a lesson or be concerned about how to find opportunities. Overall it's a very good system, and has helped me tremendously.

***FOR POTENTIAL TUTORS***: Get approved for as many subjects as you can, sign up to tutor online and in person if possible, and study for every subject test before you take it. Happy tutoring!
Pros
Reliable payment, lots of opportunities, easy approval system
Cons
Only part of rate charged, students rarely respond to applications, can only take subject tests once
Bad Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
With the flexibility, I understand many giving positive reviews. But wanted to pour my unfortunate negative experience out. After ripping me off by taking 60% of my tutoring sessions, one day they closed my account for no reason. Wyzant will survive today and probably gone tomorrow like dinosaurs.
Pros
Able to see all the available jobs out of your reach
Cons
Getting your account closed for no reason
Effective medium for Tutoring
Independent Contractor as Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2016
It's nice to have many options in the tutoring business and Wyzant makes it easy. Most of the administrative aspects of running an independent tutoring business are at your fingertips using the App. And the transactions are regulated by the company so that all of the important information is available up front.
Pros
clarifies the administrative, provides options
Cons
fees
Comfortable working conditions.
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  In home tutoringAugust 30, 2016
It's very easy to conduct in home tutoring when you go through a company. It's a trustworthy situation and so much gets accomplished.
Pros
Comfortable atmosphere
Cons
parking
They stay with almost 50% of what you make from your tutoring rate
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2016
They kept 40% of what I earned without providing you with benefits.
Not worth your time and effort.
I wouldn't work for them again.
Wyzant Really Bad For New Tutors
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 25, 2016
Wyzant makes it really difficult to understand how to get started as a new tutor. If you do not complete there convoluted process correctly within 3 tries, you will NOT be considered to be a tutor. Without explanation, they will just say, "Sorry you don't qualify", in so many words, without giving much of a reason. Don't waste your time plus they will take a large portion of what you make.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Their process is convoluted and confusing
Sexist and Racist
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
This company is sexist and racist. A typical day is filling out hundreds of irrelevant tests. I learned that the founders of this company have one goal supply nothing and make a ton of money doing it. Co-workers could not write proper English.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Atlanta Tutor
German Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAJuly 14, 2016
Agree that you cannot count on stable income from tutoring, but I have always had my payments paid on time and I appreciate the pay increase after logging many hours this summer. I find it a relief that I do not have to chase after customers nor payment.
Pros
prompt feedback and payment
Cons
not much work
A good short-term, flexible option.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Central OhioJune 27, 2016
These people are actually knowledgeable about education, and require that their applicants and workers demonstrate that same knowledge, as well as tutoring skill with all ages and backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible, stimulating
Cons
Income unstudy
Unethical Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
This is a unethical and fraudulent company. Someone should really investigate them and expose them for what they are! Do yourself a favor. Look for a different tutoring company - unless you like to be harassed by unprofessional bullies down the road.
Tutoring for Wyzant - great opportunities and easy to do
Tutor (Current Employee) –  at student homes or external locationMay 25, 2016
I have been tutoring for WyzAnt for 7 months now and I enjoy it very much. I can choose my own hours and subjects and locations. I have met great people, some have become good friends. It is a great way to get a lesson or two in what you might need right away, or a true in depth study in so many things that you might have always wanted to do but could not fit it in.

I recommend this company!
Pros
Choosing your own time, place and topic to teach, as well as your pay
Cons
the company takes a l big percentage until you have worked a certain amount of hours, It is certainly understandable, but hard in the beginning.
Great websight
High school math teacher tutoring from home (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 8, 2016
What I love about tutoring for Wyzant is that they provide a very much needed service. There are so many students who live close by that I would never have been able to help if it was not for Wyzant connecting us.So many parents are not sure where to turn or how to find help for their children. Also with Wyzant, they do background checks and provide pictures, so the families feel safe.They also take the stress of collecting payment off of my shoulders! They value our time and they make sure our students and tutors feel valued.
Pros
We do not have to collect payment from families.
Cons
You have to be very flexible if you want to tutor several students, but that can also be a pro!

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.