WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Creepy, greedy company
Graphic design tutor (Former Employee), DC areaMay 23, 2015
Pros: Good concept
Cons: Incredibly unfaircompensation for tutors
It's a good concept but the setup is extremely unfair to the tutors. They take about HALF of your earnings. Arranging to meet a student, transportation time to meet the student and filling out the lesson plan in detail afterwards which they require you to report on the website in order to get paid is not compensated. Then you only receive a fraction of the money from the actual time you tutor. To make your rates fair for yourself you'd have to make the prohibitively expensive for the students. They do not require the students to provide credit card or PayPal info so if you don't make sure they have done this, the student simply rips you off. This happened to me. Then Wyzant blames you for accepting the job without making sure they provided the info.
Rewarding tutor work with flexibility, good pay, & set own policies.
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Rewarding, flexible, set own schedule and policies.
Cons: Lack of available jobs to start at this time of the academic year.
I commute to my student's home for my one tutoring job, and it is within my stated preferred commute radius of 10 miles. One tutoring session lasts one hour at a time, and we meet once per week. At present I have just this one session per week. My student is in middle school, and I'm tutoring him in PreAlgebra. The part about this job that I like the best is helping my student to better retain what he learns, assisting him towards greater academic success, and just plain getting to watch that proverbial "light bulb" turn on through his eyes and smile when he "gets it." It is overall a very rewarding job. The part about this job that is the most challenging is at times my student avoids writing out the steps of the solution to the given math problem, which is often the reason he does less than his best on tests. I'm working with him to get in a habit of writing the steps down, so that even if he gets the answer wrong, he can get partial credit for working the problem (partially) correctly, and it also helps a lot towards better retention of the material. The most difficult part of the job is finding more tutoring jobs this close to the end of the academic year, and just not having the hours yet that I would really like to have. Ideally, I would like to have 20 hours worth of session time, since prep time and commute time are involved also, which should render the work essentially full time. Overall, aside from the problem of lack of hours at present, this job is a very rewarding and satisfying one.
Fantastic and flexible way for private tutors to connect with students in their area.
Private Tutor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 16, 2015
As an independent tutor for WyzAnt, my office has been wherever it needed to be to meet the needs of my students. There are no real "typical" days as a private tutor, which is something I love about it. However, this also means that it can be a very unstable career. While I love getting the opportunity to connect with the students that I want to work with, and the freedom to be unencumbered by the public school system, there is little room for growth or advancement in this field. Though WyzAnt technically offers a wide range of subjects for tutors and students to choose from, the majority of the students are there for strictly academic tutoring. While I have enjoyed this, and it has allowed me to use both my BA in English Literature and my experiences in graduate school, I think I would enjoy the opportunity to take this experience beyond the purely academic and into both the practical and the artistic.
Good Company
Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 9, 2015
The company works nicely with you. A typical day is that you, the tutor, are responsible to apply for jobs. It is your responsibility to keep track of your work hours so that you receive your pay at a reasonable time.
A TYPICAL TEACHERS DAY
TUTOR (Current Employee), Port Saint Lucie, FLMay 4, 2015
Pros: network with other educators
Lesson planning,; reviewing the assignment. Putting a Critical Thinking question or statement on the board.. It is always on a topic of interest. There are quite a few times that I create my own. Being employed in the School District all these years, you know what questions capture students interest,
It was an excellent company to work for.
Tutor (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Not a stable source of income
I worked as a Tutor working one to one with students teaching ESL, GED, home school curriculum, and all academic areas.

The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching various subjects with a diverse population of students.

The most difficult part of my job was not a steady source of income.
Independent Contractor Environment
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Teacher works as much or a little as they want.
Cons: They take a commission from each tutoring hour.
Wyzant requires a brief test be taken to verify the teacher's abilities. This allows the students or parents to be sure the teacher is qualified. Prices for service are set by the teacher, not a management entity.
Speech Coach
Speech Coach (Current Employee), San Jose, CaFebruary 10, 2015
Accent Modification and Speech Coaching for business professionals and international students.

Responsibilities: curriculum creation and implementation in accent modification, speech coaching, foreign language development, and critical writing.
A good way to earn side income and give back knowledge to the world
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee), Greenbelt, MDFebruary 1, 2015
I have been with WyzAnt for sometime now and really appreciate the service they provide. They act as a bridge between knowledgeable tutors and students who need their services. It also gives room for me to earn extra income as i have a regular job. All in all, i like the opportunity they have provided me.
Great Side Job
Computer tutor (Former Employee), ChicagoJanuary 29, 2015
WyzAnt is a great company that helps students find tutors easily and efficiently! It has been a great side job for the past few years.
Flexible schedules designed to aid in learning
Private Tutor (Current Employee), Memphis, TNJanuary 28, 2015
I would design quizzes and reviews for students who need help in math and science. I wouldn't move on until the student demonstrates that they have memorized the material. It is always nice to see students learn from me what their teachers couldn't teach them.
could be much better
tutor (Former Employee), Decatur, alJanuary 28, 2015
Pros: make your own schedule.
Con's: everything must be through that despicable , constraining system which takes FORTY PERCENT of your fee at first. Only getting to the lowest rate or TWENTY FICE PERCENT after 100 tutoring sessions!
If you break the massive list of rules , you're banned from tutoring there, with no explanation and no forgiveness.
Internet Tutor Services Company
Mathematics and SAT/ACT Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 22, 2015
Pros: provides a wide range of tutors for students to select from
Cons: no benefits, no advancement opportunities
This company provides quality tutoring services via internet for students at all grade levels as well as test preparation for college admission. The site allows the tutor to develop a detailed profile, including but not limited to references, job experience, background check, skills, subjects of expertise, etc.
Enjoy teaching various students privately.
Private Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJanuary 18, 2015
Pros: schedule classes individually with each student
Cons: never interact with employer
Getting to know student and her family. Help her acclimate to US culture. We discuss differences between her home culture and ours.
Mixed experience - ultimately, you're on your own
Tutor, Teacher, Admissions Advisor (Former Employee), New Haven, CTJanuary 6, 2015
Pros: flexibility; practically self-employment
Cons: no loyalty to tutors; no pre-screen of students
Think of Wyzant as a dating site - there are plenty of frogs among the princes. Also, Wyzant is no fairy godmother. (sorry about the mixed metaphors)

I was able to find a decent number of good students to tutor, but about 20-25% turned out to be irresponsible, or their parents were controlling and dishonest. In a couple cases the parents arbitrarily rescheduled or cancelled & then objected to the cancellation fee. Wyzant then sided with the parent despite clear policies to the contrary. I also had a parent second-guess my chemistry tutoring when she clearly had no idea what she was talking about.

Overall not that bad an experience, but be aware that it's just a matching service, you're on your own, and they may hang you out to dry if it suits them.

Regarding student matches, be aware that in most markets there are plenty of tutors, so respond to posts the instant you see them. Any that are older than 24 hours don't bother with, they're probably setting up their first meeting already.

Hope this helps!
xx
"unqualified" with Ph.D in my subject (Former Employee), AZNovember 25, 2014
Pros: xx
Cons: xx
Bull. They can't evaluate a tutor because they are married to their clicky-clicky culture. The outstanding and over-qualified have the same chance to tutor here as the incompetent 20 somethings.
Excellent source of income. Great platform
Science tutor (Current Employee), Milwaukee, WIOctober 7, 2014
Pros: new clients, easy to use, accessibility, etc
Cons: the commission is a little steep at first
I set my own hours. I contact the students that I want. New students can contact me. I get to set my own rate. Everything is easily accessible and easy to use from both a tutor perspective as well as my clients. Overall, I love it.
Decent job for tutors
English Tutor (Former Employee), Phoenix, AZOctober 6, 2014
Pros: no real pros
Cons: hard to find clients
Decent job but it was difficult to find and maintain working clientele.
It's a scam
Tutor (Former Employee), Torrance, CASeptember 29, 2014
Cons: scam
This site is a scam.

I signed up online, and I had two tutoring sessions.

After I entered my two sessions they asked for my social security, so that they can verify if I am allowed to work legally in the US. They did this after billing the client, so if you are not allowed to work in the US, they take 100% of the money. They do not ask for your social security before your tutoring session, so they can take the entire profit if do not have a valid social security. This also means they allow people to work illegally in the US, but take all profits.

I entered my social security and was promised a payment of 60% of the total payment from client. Soon after I received an email stating I had violated the terms of use and as a result my account has been deactivated. I never violated the terms of use, and they did not prove it. The entire amount for tutoring three hours was kept by Wyzant. I have been trying to contact the company for a while but they are not answering.

This company has stolen money from me and beached its contract.
Ability to choose what jobs you wanted to work
Tutor, Trainer and Teacher (Former Employee), Racine, WISeptember 27, 2014
Pros: choose what jobs you wanted to work. meet new people.
Cons: not enough work in close vicinity to home. low rate for tutoring.
Able to use my Excel skill set to help others. Ability to choose jobs you wanted to tutor people. Set my own work schedule. All correspondence was on the website to keep everything secure. I would have to meet people at a public place.

1 2 3 4

About WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt.com is an online marketplace specializing in matching students with qualified tutors for in-home tutoring.

WyzAnt Tutoring Salaries