WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

This company takes 60% of your salary!!!!
Teacher/ Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, FloridaSeptember 8, 2017
I was very unhappy w the setup.
The company takes a whopping 60% of what your rate is.......unbelievable!
If you don't mind working for pesos and being treated like a non professional dummy, then Wyzant is for you! A great company that discourages you in your profession because of the way they manage their members' pay rate!!!!!
Wyzant Tutoring Consultants
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 28, 2017
Wyzant is a easy to use interface to help tutors connect with students. They handle the finances at a low rate. I recommend anyone who wants to tutor to utilize this site.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Somewhat impersonal since it is a website...not really a con these days
You're an independent contractor. Your reputation relies on client reviews.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 28, 2017
At WyzAnt you're an independent contractor. You set your rate, but WyzAnt takes a big chunk of it (though the chunk lessens over time). The web site has an easy user interface.

Your reputation depends on the reviews of your clients.

I was a math tutor. I have a strong background in math and did not have problems handling atypical math classes/assignments, but my clients complained that other tutors were not prepared for such classes. A tutor said they 'knew' algebra for example, but struggled with a unique algebra honors course the client was taking. That algebra tutor had to have passed Wyzant's algebra test (which you can only take once by the way), but the test does not encompass all that algebra can be.

I loved my clients and the reason I left was to pursue a degree. I still think about my clients and hope they are becoming successful mathematicians!
Pros
You set your own salary and your own hours.
Cons
There are no real benefits. If you do in-home tutoring there's a lot of driving.
Re
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2017
I enjoy tutoring with WyzAnt.
The compensation rate is not too good.
But I love what I do.
I enjoy tutoring.
I continue to be a WyzAnt Tutor.
Tutoring is self-rewarding.
Great marketing for self-employed tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 12, 2017
Wyzant provides independent tutors with job opportunities based on the tutor's location. As a tutor, I have had many students, most likely due to the fact that tutors are rewarded with more profile visibility when they respond quickly to student requests. I typically do not have to reach out to new students - they find me first. Though the money is not much, the portion of pay that Wyzant takes is reduced each time a tutor completes a milestone of hours. So there is an opportunity to keep more of your money as you gain additional experience. As a full-time employee during the week, I have found this to be a great opportunity to earn a bit of extra cash while helping others in my field or in allied industries. It can also be used as a stepping stone to permanent teaching opportunities elsewhere should a tutor desire to do so.
Pros
Flexible schedules, visibility, experience
Cons
Low pay
Unfair and unreasonable company
Student (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 9, 2017
I had a complaint about a tutor who lack of ethic and responsibility and without asking any questions, I got an email saying my complaint had nothing to do with the company and therefore my account was going to be close. If any account needed to be close it was the tutor one, not mine.
Wyzant Review
AUTOCAD TUTOR (Former Employee) –  Ventura County, CAJuly 29, 2017
I enjoyed working with Wyzant however I would have liked more hours and more tutoring sessions. Glad I was able to help the many students that I was able to tutor. I usually met my students at Starbucks or someplace similar and we both would work on our laptops.
Pros
Meeting new students and people
Cons
not enough work
Great place to use your skills
Certified tutor of Java (Current Employee) –  Winston-Salem, NCJuly 29, 2017
You get to work at your own place and you set the pay you want to make. The work is rewarding because you are helping people to learn and prepare them for the job market.
A chance to do something you love
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Charlotte, NCJuly 28, 2017
I love being a private tutor. I especially enjoy the excitement and happiness my clients feel when they start to succeed and see great improvement in what at first seemed so difficult.

Wyzant provides excellent customer service and serves as the middle man between you and your clients. They make doing business easier.
Pros
Controlling your own schedule and pay.
Cons
At first it can be slow starting out.
This is a good site to find tutoring positions in rural or urban areas.
tutor for Autism (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJuly 26, 2017
I really like the site---easy to monitor and use. Pay compensation is on time and fast.

Questions get answered fast and all communication is user-friendly and quick.

Recommended it to several other retired teachers.
Excellent platform for professional tutors to network and tutor!
Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Jobstown, NJJuly 18, 2017
I have been a professional tutor with WyzAnt for approximately 2 years and the experience has been excellent! WyzAnt allows me to network (safely) with a large list of students in my area. I will continue to tutor through WyzAnt for the years to come!
Fun and able to make your own schedule
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  OnlineJuly 18, 2017
Wyzant gives a great opportunity to reach out and help students in need of help to succeed with the various classes they are struggling with. It pays off commission. It also gives background checks so as to help the student and tutors meet up and feel safe.
40% commission is too much
Certified Tutor - (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Philadelphia, PAJuly 11, 2017
I had a great experience,but I believe that 40% was too much to take out. I enjoyed the independence and working with a variety of clients. I met some very interesting people.
Pros
Independent contractor
Cons
Commisiin of 40% is too much
Good Tutoring Service Provider
Spanish Tutor (Current Employee) –  Gwinnett County, GAJune 28, 2017
I have a great opportunity to tutor different culturally background children. I enjoy the experience and made me learn from them too. Some problems that I have had was that some students live far from me and that some time they did not use my service for a long time.
Online Company- well organized good website automatic deposit in my bank acct.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Folsom, CAJune 22, 2017
Wyzant is an online company. Customer service has been helpful and they have a good job posting board. I have several leads and students through Wyzant.
Best for urban settings, as there are more students
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Piedmont, VAJune 11, 2017
Great company if you live in the city! Taught biology, chemistry, math, essay writing, song writing and organizational skills. Nice, relaxed folks at Wyzant.
Pros
Good pay.
Cons
Not for country settings
Wonderful Tutoring management website
French and Spanish Language Teacher (Former Employee) –  Miami, FLJune 11, 2017
The website is easy to navigate.
The support team answers emails/requests very fast. Their answers are very personalized and accurate.
They have a good notification system
alowed great students to tutor
Professional Tutor (Current Employee) –  Brea, CAJune 2, 2017
however, location was a problem. When I moved to Grand Junction, there was a serious lack of students that Wyzant offered. I loved tutoring but it was not a stable income.
Tutoring
Private Tutor/ Contracted Agent (Current Employee) –  onlineMay 23, 2017
While the market can be slow at times (especially in the Martinsburg-Hagerstown area), the work associated with tutoring and teaching can be very rewarding.
Fantastic Tutoring Service
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMay 22, 2017
I have really loved my time with Wyzant. Through them, I have become both a better tutor and a better writer. The best part of working for Wyzant is the moment of realization in a student's face when they suddenly understand a concept with which they had been struggling. The scheduling is very simple; you make your own hours, and you determine how many students you wish to take on at a time. I highly recommend working for them!
Pros
Set your own schedule, easy environment
Cons
Minimal hours, company takes a cut of your earnings

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.