WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Will not let you reaply later
N/a (Former Employee) –  N/aNovember 16, 2016
They charged me for a background check of 7.99 and never explained why I was declined. I was in college and not yet certified. Guess the early bird doesn't get the worm because here it is 2 years later and I'm just now getting my refund, I can't reapply even though I am officially certified, and apparently they take a large percentage of what you make. Go to varsity tutor, don't waste your time on these crooks.
Pros
Nothibg
Cons
Take your money without an explanation for decline
Wyzant Treats Tutors Horribly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2016
Wyzant is a waste of time. They take almost half of the fee from the tutors, on top of charging students absurd fees. They are basically pimping out tutors for very little pay. They say you get more $ the more hours you work but it's still nearly half, and basically impossible to reach that point if you're just doing this as a side thing. On top of this, they will cancel your account out of the blue due to "violation of terms of use" with no explanation (I've heard of this happening to many tutors) Not worth your time.
Effective medium for Tutoring
Independent Contractor as Physics Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roseville, CASeptember 24, 2016
It's nice to have many options in the tutoring business and Wyzant makes it easy. Most of the administrative aspects of running an independent tutoring business are at your fingertips using the App. And the transactions are regulated by the company so that all of the important information is available up front.
Pros
clarifies the administrative, provides options
Cons
fees
Bad Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
With the flexibility, I understand many giving positive reviews. But wanted to pour my unfortunate negative experience out. After ripping me off by taking 60% of my tutoring sessions, one day they closed my account for no reason. Wyzant will survive today and probably gone tomorrow like dinosaurs.
Pros
Able to see all the available jobs out of your reach
Cons
Getting your account closed for no reason
Wyzant Really Bad For New Tutors
Software Developer (Former Employee) –  RemoteAugust 25, 2016
Wyzant makes it really difficult to understand how to get started as a new tutor. If you do not complete there convoluted process correctly within 3 tries, you will NOT be considered to be a tutor. Without explanation, they will just say, "Sorry you don't qualify", in so many words, without giving much of a reason. Don't waste your time plus they will take a large portion of what you make.
Pros
None that I can see
Cons
Their process is convoluted and confusing
Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Tutoring for Wyzant - great opportunities and easy to do
Tutor (Current Employee) –  at student homes or external locationMay 25, 2016
I have been tutoring for WyzAnt for 7 months now and I enjoy it very much. I can choose my own hours and subjects and locations. I have met great people, some have become good friends. It is a great way to get a lesson or two in what you might need right away, or a true in depth study in so many things that you might have always wanted to do but could not fit it in.

I recommend this company!
Pros
Choosing your own time, place and topic to teach, as well as your pay
Cons
the company takes a l big percentage until you have worked a certain amount of hours, It is certainly understandable, but hard in the beginning.
Links up tutors and students
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2016
It is hard to get started on the site without reviews or references. Also Wyzant takes 40% of your earnings which is a lot. It takes time to make this worthwhile, plus the cost of commuting up to an hour for one hour's work.
Atlanta Tutor
German Tutor (Current Employee) –  Roswell, GAJuly 14, 2016
Agree that you cannot count on stable income from tutoring, but I have always had my payments paid on time and I appreciate the pay increase after logging many hours this summer. I find it a relief that I do not have to chase after customers nor payment.
Pros
prompt feedback and payment
Cons
not much work
Great, just need more hours.
Tutor-English & French (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CANovember 9, 2016
The folks who answer the phones are very bright, courteous & have, so far, answered every question I have had, appropriately & helpfully. I have enjoyed working with each and every student I have tutored!
Sexist and Racist
Tutor/Mentor (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 12, 2016
This company is sexist and racist. A typical day is filling out hundreds of irrelevant tests. I learned that the founders of this company have one goal supply nothing and make a ton of money doing it. Co-workers could not write proper English.
Pros
Cons
Pay
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Comfortable working conditions.
English Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  In home tutoringAugust 30, 2016
It's very easy to conduct in home tutoring when you go through a company. It's a trustworthy situation and so much gets accomplished.
Pros
Comfortable atmosphere
Cons
parking
Great websight
High school math teacher tutoring from home (Current Employee) –  York, PAApril 8, 2016
What I love about tutoring for Wyzant is that they provide a very much needed service. There are so many students who live close by that I would never have been able to help if it was not for Wyzant connecting us.So many parents are not sure where to turn or how to find help for their children. Also with Wyzant, they do background checks and provide pictures, so the families feel safe.They also take the stress of collecting payment off of my shoulders! They value our time and they make sure our students and tutors feel valued.
Pros
We do not have to collect payment from families.
Cons
You have to be very flexible if you want to tutor several students, but that can also be a pro!
A good short-term, flexible option.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Central OhioJune 27, 2016
These people are actually knowledgeable about education, and require that their applicants and workers demonstrate that same knowledge, as well as tutoring skill with all ages and backgrounds.
Pros
Flexible, stimulating
Cons
Income unstudy
I love working with Wyzant
French Instructor/Tutor (Current Employee) –  Allen, TXApril 6, 2016
Wyzant gives you a great and trustworthy exposure as a tutor.
You can look up at work in you area on the website.
This is very flexible: you decide what mileage you agree to travel, your schedule, you set your pay rate (many other similar companies will set the pay rate for you!).
Their policies are very clear, their website is extremely user friendly and offers all what you need as a tutor (calendar, reminder, etc...)
They are always paying on time.
Wyzant is the best Tutoring company that I know so far!
They stay with almost 50% of what you make from your tutoring rate
Language Instructor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCAugust 29, 2016
They kept 40% of what I earned without providing you with benefits.
Not worth your time and effort.
I wouldn't work for them again.
Good Organization
piano and voice private instructor (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 6, 2016
Good company but acquiring students was the most difficult part. Loved teaching private students through their platform.
Unethical Company
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMay 27, 2016
This is a unethical and fraudulent company. Someone should really investigate them and expose them for what they are! Do yourself a favor. Look for a different tutoring company - unless you like to be harassed by unprofessional bullies down the road.
Productive work place.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TXMarch 4, 2016
I really like tutoring with Wyzant. As soon as I created my profile I started getting emails from the company and students about potential tutoring opportunities. The company is organized, they pay on time and offer good Support and assistance to to their customers. Every time I have called to ask for asssistance with anything related to tutoring or my account they have been nice and relevant. The only thing I don't really like is that at the Beginning, only 60% from what the students pay go to the tutor and 40% to the company. They will increase the percentage for tutors when the tutoring hours increase, but still, I think the tutor should receive a higher percentage even from the beginning. Overall, working with Wyzant is a great option for taking on a side job.
Pros
Organized, good support system, permanent information about potential students.
Cons
Low Percentage for the tutor