WyzAnt Tutoring

WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

This is a horrible company to work for
Private Tutor (Former Employee), Tomball, TXJuly 28, 2015
Pros: NONE
Cons: EVERYTHING. They take your money and your time with NO results.
This is absolutely ridiculous. I don't know why I ever bothered using the site in the first place. I make much more money and have much more success finding clients just advertising at my local coffee shop. I have been tutoring for YEARS and not ONCE did I get a response or a lead from this website. Not to mention that you wanted 40% of my price! Are you kidding?! Do you know why care.com is successful? Because they are SO nice that you WANT to give them money. Parents pay exorbitant amounts for background checks and the tutors pay to be listed higher. There are no stupid fees or e-mail filters. This company will never be successful.
Flexible and rewarding
Tutor (Current Employee), NationwideJuly 22, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Low opportunity
This company allows an educator the freedom to work with flexibility. The educator is also allowed to name their own price.
Wyzant lets me set my own pay and Hours
Tutor and Mentor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 21, 2015
Pros: Flexibility, good work
Cons: Needed to interview for each hour of work.
Working at Wyzant has been an effective program for my skills. I have worked with individual students and encouraged them to build skills and confidence in their worst subject areas. This job requires patience and caring but I find that these are skills that I am strong in. I am capable of breaking tasks into obtainable increments and advance my student's capabilities. They have integrated my study skill methods and have gone on to achieve great things.
Timely pay and excellent resource for job leads
Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILJuly 8, 2015
Pros: set my own hours
Cons: need to decrease my rate to get more jobs
Wyzant offers me continuous leads for future tutoring positions. My experience working for them as been rewarding and has helped me to build a network of references for teaching.
Great work and life balance
Mathematics & English Tutor (Former Employee), New YorkJuly 5, 2015
I have tutored for many years. In which time I have concluded that although teaching is repeating concepts and ideas to students, in regards to academics, what is also beneficial is instilling good test taking skills. Granted during an exam, whether it be nerves, or sheer temporary lapse of judgment, there may be times when the student will not know how to answer a given question, this is where these test taking skills are necessary. I enjoyed teaching students and helping them achieve their academic goals. The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing the results of my tutoring and happiness it brought to my students.
I am self-employed
Music and Spanish Tutor (Current Employee), Las Vegas, NVJuly 3, 2015
Cons: If a lesson gets canceled, I lose money.
I am a private tutor. I charge 50.00 an hour. I drive to students homes to teach them. Wyzant is great and they help me find students to teach. They take a small percentage of what I earn, but they do help me find students.
Wow! What a Joke!
Tutor (Former Employee), Fort LauderdaleJuly 2, 2015
In order for you to make any money, you'll need to charge your clients a large fee because these Ants will take 40% of your hard earned money. Of course by doing so, you will get less clients. Now what they don't tell is, if you don't get clients after a while, they will deactivate your account. I have been getting emails potential clients and I have done my best to reach out to most of them.
If you think about it, you don't need their stupid system to host your profile pic and info for 40% of your money. I now advertise locally through Craigslist and I have been getting clients on my own, and guess what? I get to keep all my money.
Don't waste your time with this joke of a company!
Flexible tutoring job
Writing Tutor (Current Employee), Boston, MAJune 24, 2015
Pros: Flexible, well-paid
Cons: Lots of travel time, variability of hours
Flexible part-time job as a contracted tutor, working with a range of students in all areas of humanities, including English, literature, philosophy, creative writing, and history.
Independence
Science & Math Tutor (Former Employee), San Diego, CAJune 18, 2015
Pros: Independence, schedule, fun students
Cons: Low % of pay goes to you
This job requires self-promotion but it can be whatever you want it to be. The management is very responsive and easy to deal with.
Tutoring that matches the times
Tutor (Current Employee), Houston, TXJune 9, 2015
Pros: Set my own schedule, Students are great.
Cons: There are none!
The best part of my job is that I am in charge for the most part. There are many different subjects that can cater to the students. Even if I relocate for whatever reason, I can still find students and they can find me at my new location.
Flexible hours and rate
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Forest Hills, NYMay 28, 2015
I work as a contractor, tutoring children at the location of their choice.
The most enjoyable part of the job is helping somebody to improve their science/computer skills and achieve academic goals.
Great tutoring opportunities for motivated tutors
Tutor (Current Employee), Detroit, MIMay 26, 2015
Pros: Scheduling, technology updates, friendly staff, set my own rate
Cons: Large cut of my rate
I have enjoyed using WyzAnt's services to help me find local tutees for the last six months. The website is easy to use, and I have always had good experiences with interacting with the WyzAnt team. I do think the percentage they take of my rate is quite high, even though I'm in the 50+ hours range (so now they get 30%)... I do appreciate the site and apps they have created for our use (both tutors and tutees), but I wish there was something on their site to show us where they are putting that money to use.

Easy to set your own hours and work as much or as little as you like via WyzAnt. If there were demand, I could probably do this full time. For me, it is a nice way to earn a little extra.
Creepy, greedy company
Graphic design tutor (Former Employee), DC areaMay 23, 2015
Pros: Good concept
Cons: Incredibly unfaircompensation for tutors
It's a good concept but the setup is extremely unfair to the tutors. They take about HALF of your earnings. Arranging to meet a student, transportation time to meet the student and filling out the lesson plan in detail afterwards which they require you to report on the website in order to get paid is not compensated. Then you only receive a fraction of the money from the actual time you tutor. To make your rates fair for yourself you'd have to make the prohibitively expensive for the students. They do not require the students to provide credit card or PayPal info so if you don't make sure they have done this, the student simply rips you off. This happened to me. Then Wyzant blames you for accepting the job without making sure they provided the info.
Rewarding tutor work with flexibility, good pay, & set own policies.
Math Tutor (Current Employee), Alexandria, VAMay 19, 2015
Pros: Rewarding, flexible, set own schedule and policies.
Cons: Lack of available jobs to start at this time of the academic year.
I commute to my student's home for my one tutoring job, and it is within my stated preferred commute radius of 10 miles. One tutoring session lasts one hour at a time, and we meet once per week. At present I have just this one session per week. My student is in middle school, and I'm tutoring him in PreAlgebra. The part about this job that I like the best is helping my student to better retain what he learns, assisting him towards greater academic success, and just plain getting to watch that proverbial "light bulb" turn on through his eyes and smile when he "gets it." It is overall a very rewarding job. The part about this job that is the most challenging is at times my student avoids writing out the steps of the solution to the given math problem, which is often the reason he does less than his best on tests. I'm working with him to get in a habit of writing the steps down, so that even if he gets the answer wrong, he can get partial credit for working the problem (partially) correctly, and it also helps a lot towards better retention of the material. The most difficult part of the job is finding more tutoring jobs this close to the end of the academic year, and just not having the hours yet that I would really like to have. Ideally, I would like to have 20 hours worth of session time, since prep time and commute time are involved also, which should render the work essentially full time. Overall, aside from the problem of lack of hours at present, this job is a very rewarding and satisfying one.
Fantastic and flexible way for private tutors to connect with students in their area.
Private Tutor (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMay 16, 2015
As an independent tutor for WyzAnt, my office has been wherever it needed to be to meet the needs of my students. There are no real "typical" days as a private tutor, which is something I love about it. However, this also means that it can be a very unstable career. While I love getting the opportunity to connect with the students that I want to work with, and the freedom to be unencumbered by the public school system, there is little room for growth or advancement in this field. Though WyzAnt technically offers a wide range of subjects for tutors and students to choose from, the majority of the students are there for strictly academic tutoring. While I have enjoyed this, and it has allowed me to use both my BA in English Literature and my experiences in graduate school, I think I would enjoy the opportunity to take this experience beyond the purely academic and into both the practical and the artistic.
Good Company
Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMay 9, 2015
The company works nicely with you. A typical day is that you, the tutor, are responsible to apply for jobs. It is your responsibility to keep track of your work hours so that you receive your pay at a reasonable time.
A TYPICAL TEACHERS DAY
TUTOR (Current Employee), Port Saint Lucie, FLMay 4, 2015
Pros: network with other educators
Lesson planning,; reviewing the assignment. Putting a Critical Thinking question or statement on the board.. It is always on a topic of interest. There are quite a few times that I create my own. Being employed in the School District all these years, you know what questions capture students interest,
It was an excellent company to work for.
Tutor (Current Employee), Fort Lauderdale, FLMarch 29, 2015
Pros: Flexible schedule
Cons: Not a stable source of income
I worked as a Tutor working one to one with students teaching ESL, GED, home school curriculum, and all academic areas.

The most enjoyable part of the job was teaching various subjects with a diverse population of students.

The most difficult part of my job was not a steady source of income.
Independent Contractor Environment
Mathematics Tutor (Current Employee), Chicago, ILMarch 27, 2015
Pros: Teacher works as much or a little as they want.
Cons: They take a commission from each tutoring hour.
Wyzant requires a brief test be taken to verify the teacher's abilities. This allows the students or parents to be sure the teacher is qualified. Prices for service are set by the teacher, not a management entity.
Speech Coach
Speech Coach (Current Employee), San Jose, CaFebruary 10, 2015
Accent Modification and Speech Coaching for business professionals and international students.

Responsibilities: curriculum creation and implementation in accent modification, speech coaching, foreign language development, and critical writing.
Headquarters