WyzAnt Tutoring Employee Reviews

Easy to find students, but Wyzant takes large cut
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Redlands, CAMarch 29, 2017
Wyzant is one of the better tutoring sites that I have been involved with. The site is easy to navigate and many parents are looking for tutors for their kids. The problem is that all transactions and scheduling must be done through the site. This means that it takes a lot of effort on both sides to makes an appointment happen. They also take quite a big cut of the per hour pay until you tutor a min number of hours. It is like a tier system where those who teach 100+ or above will get a high percentage of their compensation.
Pros
virtual teaching platform is great
Cons
take large cut of pay
Good place to start tutoring
Tutor (Current Employee) –  onlineMarch 17, 2017
Wyzant provides advertisement and students for your tutoring "career". Thus, they take 30% of your hourly rate once you reach 50 hours of tutoring (before that they take 40%). If you do not mind the amount of money they make, it is fine as a supplemental/part-time income. I've been very fortunate to tutor bright students who just needed a little more confidence or extra time to study over their course work. I have found the experience tutoring to be overall a very positive one!
Tutoring all ranges of people in life
Academic Tutor for Hire (part-time) (Current Employee) –  Seattle, WAMarch 10, 2017
At WyzAnt.com I worked as an Academic Tutor for Hire. You are able to set your own pay rate and hours.

I teach students/business men and women, kids all the way up to adults in the fields of Autodesk Maya (3D Program), Adobe Photoshop CS2-5, Adobe Illustrator, Microsoft PowerPoint, Video Production, etc.
Pros
Set own schedule and pay rate
Cons
N/A
Flexible hours good pay
Math Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAMarch 6, 2017
Hardest part of job is finding students near you to tutor. Another bad thing about new tutors is that wyzant keeps 40% of whatever you make. I charge 40$ an hour only to get 22$.
Making my tutoring business easy
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Washington, DCMarch 6, 2017
Great way to find clients for your tutoring business. Certifies tutors in subjects so clients know they are hiring competent tutors. I tutored math, physics, and CAD. Learned a lot about how to share my knowledge with other students efficiently and effectively. Hardest part of job was driving all over Washington, DC metro area, and finding mutually-agreeable public meeting places for tutoring. Most enjoyable part of job was gratitude from students and parents as to how much I helped their studies.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay
Cons
Lots of travel
Excellent Platform, Great Customer Service
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Southfield, MIFebruary 14, 2017
Wyzant takes the hassle out of tutoring, especially for those of us just starting out, like me. They review and either approve my qualifications for each subject I would like to tutor in, give advice on what kind of service to provide and jobs to take on, and do a great job of alerting me of when other jobs come up. They also have a second to none customer service line - when I had a complicated issue with a parent, Wyzant's customer service person on the phone was both competent and caring in helping me make sense of how to address it. I recommend 100%.
Pros
Awesome Customer Service, Payment Handled on Wyzant's End
Cons
Can Take Some Time to Start Making Bigger Amounts of Money
Independent contracting made easy
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Ocean, NJFebruary 4, 2017
WyzAnt is a great tool for building a tutoring business from the ground up. As an independent contractor using the company for leads and job postings, I find that WyzAnt made it easy to grow my tutoring business and allow me to have many more students than I would have through just word-of-mouth.
Great company
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Joliet, ILJanuary 27, 2017
Been with Wyzant since 2009. Great tutoring company.Great online tutoring platform to teach online students many subjects including math, with ability to demonstrate concepts.
It's a tutoring website where students can get the tutor they desire
Spanish tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLJanuary 24, 2017
It's a very efficient company which is up to date with technology. Students write to you by a message system that the company offers you and you can communicate with the student and set up classes. They have access to your profile and police record. It's a very safe environment.
Increased Demand Due To Wide Network
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Pasadena, CAJanuary 8, 2017
The demand for my tutorial services has never been as good as this! Wyzant's access to a wide network connects me, the tutor, to job prospects both within and beyond the Wyzant website, thus keeping demand for my services at an all time HIGH! My fee is negotiable. Clients are generally honorable and respect terms at the get go.
As a tutor, I keep to the one-hour session limit in order to reach objectives efficiently and quickly.
Pros
Excellent customer service
Cons
Limit of ten client prospects per day.
not well manged
Japanese and art Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJanuary 6, 2017
There was some miscommunication with emails, and sometimes it was confusing.
However, I got many great students and made lots of friends form the experience. I appreciate that they gave me the experience.
Great supportive tutorial agency to work with.
Professional Spanish Language Coach (Current Employee) –  San Diego, CADecember 3, 2016
This is a great company to work with because they are super supportive and do an amazing job with the marketing!

Every call answered and never a question goes unanswered!
Pros
Rewards system
Cons
Absolutely none!
Great, just need more hours.
Tutor-English & French (Current Employee) –  Sacramento County, CANovember 9, 2016
The folks who answer the phones are very bright, courteous & have, so far, answered every question I have had, appropriately & helpfully. I have enjoyed working with each and every student I have tutored!
Good Organization
piano and voice private instructor (Former Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CANovember 6, 2016
Good company but acquiring students was the most difficult part. Loved teaching private students through their platform.
Very Lucrative and Laid-Back Forum
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Clovis, CAOctober 30, 2016
As an employ, I love WyzAnt. Being a tutor is difficult unless you have access to people who can network for you, and network well. WyzAnt eliminates that need. They network for you.

Yes, they take a large percentage of your fees, but it's not unreasonable, and the more hours you tutor the less percentage they take. If you start out with a moderate but understandable fee, you still make a great hourly profit off of tutoring for WyzAnt. I do this on the side while being an adjunct for community college, and the extra income has really helped keep me afloat.

They notify you of opportunities for tutoring in your area regularly, if not daily. They require the students/parents put their payment info on file before you can schedule an appointment with them, so that if something goes wrong, no matter what you will get your money. That is a very generous and relieving thing to do.

If you're trying to be a tutor as a full-time profession, that's a little different. WyzAnt, in my opinion, is not formatted for that kind of goal. It is preposterous to judge it based on that criteria. WyzAnt is for people who want to make a decent amount of money at their own time and rate, without the hassle of forms or classrooms or anything else. They make it easy to make money without a lot of complicated secondary work on your part.

I'd highly recommend using WyzAnt if you're anyone who wants to make extra money on the side (in addition to a full-time job or full-time school schedule, for example) and has the ability to effectively teach a student something in any field. Look
  more... into it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.  less
Pros
Convenient scheduling, you're your own boss, goes by your pace and standards
Cons
Percentage taken from tutoring fee
Wyzant Treats Tutors Horribly
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Portland, OROctober 24, 2016
Wyzant is a waste of time. They take almost half of the fee from the tutors, on top of charging students absurd fees. They are basically pimping out tutors for very little pay. They say you get more $ the more hours you work but it's still nearly half, and basically impossible to reach that point if you're just doing this as a side thing. On top of this, they will cancel your account out of the blue due to "violation of terms of use" with no explanation (I've heard of this happening to many tutors) Not worth your time.
Cons
Links up tutors and students
Personal Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tampa, FLOctober 24, 2016
It is hard to get started on the site without reviews or references. Also Wyzant takes 40% of your earnings which is a lot. It takes time to make this worthwhile, plus the cost of commuting up to an hour for one hour's work.
Good
Tutor/Mentor (Current Employee) –  Time, ILOctober 18, 2016
This is just a part time online job to help students but i am looking for a regular job full or part time.

The company is very easy to work with and working with kids brings a great deal of satisfaction to me. I love helping kids.
Good system for connecting with students and managing payment
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Greensboro, NCOctober 14, 2016
I've really enjoyed tutoring through Wyzant. They have a comprehensive system for getting approved for new subjects, lots of job listings for online and in-person lessons, and great customer service by phone. Their payment system (wait until payment information is on file to schedule a lesson, and everyone has to approve a rate change) allows me to conduct lessons without awkwardly having to take time out to discuss money. I also like the system by which students can review their tutors, and tutors are able to share selected reviews with new potential students.

Difficult things about tutoring through Wyzant: You can only take each certification test once, so make sure that you study up. They're short, which means they don't take much time, but if you miss a few questions (for instance, on adjective endings, in a foreign language test) you can never tutor in that subject. Most postings you apply to won't get you a response- I've been applying to about 15 jobs a week through Wyzant for a month or two, and have only gotten responses from 9 students (3 of whom have become students.) That means it's not great as a full-time job. I also rated it 3 stars for compensation/benefits, because you will never receive the full amount you are charging. You will receive 60-80% of your rate charged, depending how many hours you've tutored. That means that if you charge $30 an hour, you start off only making $18 an hour, despite the fact that your students are paying $30 per hour plus a service charge to Wyzant. Still, $18 per hour is better than a lot of other jobs, and Wyzant allows you
  more... to adjust the rate charged for an individual student or your default rate.

Their system allows me to connect to students online and in person, arrange a time to meet, and not worry about payment. It helps me show of my expertise and become approved (or show interest, if I don't have the time to get approved yet) in as many areas as I want. I never have to worry about a student not paying me for a lesson or be concerned about how to find opportunities. Overall it's a very good system, and has helped me tremendously.

***FOR POTENTIAL TUTORS***: Get approved for as many subjects as you can, sign up to tutor online and in person if possible, and study for every subject test before you take it. Happy tutoring!
Pros
Reliable payment, lots of opportunities, easy approval system
Cons
Only part of rate charged, students rarely respond to applications, can only take subject tests once
Bad Experience
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseySeptember 29, 2016
With the flexibility, I understand many giving positive reviews. But wanted to pour my unfortunate negative experience out. After ripping me off by taking 60% of my tutoring sessions, one day they closed my account for no reason. Wyzant will survive today and probably gone tomorrow like dinosaurs.
Pros
Able to see all the available jobs out of your reach
Cons
Getting your account closed for no reason

Ask a question about working or interviewing at WyzAnt Tutoring. Our community is ready to answer.