WyzAnt Employee Reviews

A Great Opportunity for Tutors Starting from Scratch
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2017
Wyzant is a great opportunity for tutors building up a business. It takes time, and it takes patience, but after a year of tutoring one or two students every two or three months, assuming one provides great service and great results, they will start getting more inquiries, to the point where it will be a viable business opportunity.

There are many tutors on Wyzant who make a great living doing extremely rewarding work. There is something money can't justify when a student tells you, "I failed my first two tests and may not have graduated from college, but thanks to your tutoring, I was able to pass with a B and get my degree!"

If that sounds like something one would like to do with their life, Wyzant is a great platform to start out. Just understand, they take a fat cut off your hourly rate, and if you don't perform, you will not be successful.

That said, the risks and costs have been well worth it for me.
Pros
Cons
self determined hours, self determined pay scale, self determined culture, self determined job function, only limits are market forces, high percentage fee split with Wyzant (but worth it)
Self employed individuals are helped by WyzAnt to find customers
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CANovember 10, 2017
I like Wyzant because the company finds jobs for self employed individuals. The customer service department is very helpful in solving technical problems.
Pros
Self employed people have freedom to choose jobs
Cons
Wyzant take 30% of my pay and their are no benefits
Ok
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Miami, FLNovember 9, 2017
Great autonomy, but don't like how they take 20% commission. Also it would be great if they could create better tools to keep in contact with students.
Great experience working for Wyzant
Tutor (Former Employee) –  New JerseyNovember 2, 2017
Wyzant is easy to work for. You post your profile and your tutoring fee, clients reach out to you, and you work with the client to schedule a time to meet. We meet and I tutor for 1-2 hours per session. Wyzant sends me a check. I could work as much or as little as I like and choose the distance I prefer to travel. It was a very good experience and I would recommend it to anyone who teaches or knows a subject well.
Pros
choose your own hours, as many as you want
Cons
there were no cons
Fulfilling job
Tutor (Former Employee) –  Tucson, AZOctober 28, 2017
This job is very fulfilling, especially when you have students that are attentive and focused. It can get a bit hard to find students as most of the parents don't respond when you send them a message.
Nice way to meet clients
Math and Science Tutor (Current Employee) –  Fresno, CAOctober 27, 2017
Choose your own clients and schedule app works great but got lots of spams and lots of things outside the area I was willing to work in despite telling the app how far out I was willing to go
Good concept but high cut
Private Tutor (Former Employee) –  TexasOctober 21, 2017
I liked this website but they take a large chunk of the money you're making which makes no sense for simply owning a website. I am willing to pay the middleman but not a giant chunk of my income
I am done completing this
Art Instructor (Current Employee) –  Mission Viejo, CAOctober 15, 2017
I am perfectly happy with Wyzant. I am finished reviewing this. I need to get back to sending out resumes. I don't have anything more to say. Good night.
Wyzant Experience
Accounting & Algebra Tutor (Former Employee) –  Kansas City, MOOctober 1, 2017
Worked with Wyzant for about 8 yrs and tutored around 25 students. The overall working relationship was good. Helped many students learn their material and pass their course. Have 2 good reviews posted on Wyzant. Left Wyzant after they couldnt get the email system with a student worked out. Went into private practice after that. Would work with Wyzant again because they do help students.
Pros
fair pay and college students willing to learn
Cons
Email messaging with students
Too Much Competition for Jobs Available.
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MISeptember 30, 2017
They do take a big chunk of your earnings. They say you can keep more of y our pay when you log more hours. This can be a little hard because...
There is a LOT, I mean a LOT, of tutor competition, especially if you live in a large urban area, like I do. You are competing with hundreds of other tutors, some with Master's Degrees. People are charmed by degrees. Even if you have a great deal of successful experience, but just an Associate Degree, who knows if you will be selected by customers. I don't overcharge on my end, either. I keep it reasonable. Some want to charge customers 70.00 a lesson. However,
Out of all the tutor jobs I applied to on Wyzant, I actually got relatively few from Wyzant.
No complaints about efficiency and dependability. Website features work okay for scheduling, logging, etc. and getting paid. If you have a question, they answer it in a timely way, also.
Pros
Not a lot of bungling by management about logged hours, pay, etc. Pretty responsive to questions, also.
Cons
Way too much competition for tutoring jobs. Take too much of your earnings.

Want to know more about WyzAnt?

Ask a question
Nice to work with
Independent Tutor (Current Employee) –  Scottsdale, AZSeptember 26, 2017
Compare other tutors in the area to set pricing. Be aware that they take a percentage when you are setting your pricing. Take your time to enter all your information completely.
Great place to work part time.
English Tutor (Current Employee) –  Diamond Bar, CASeptember 11, 2017
Wyzant is the best tutoring company I have worked for. You can make great pay by setting your own huors and fees. I have found amazing tutoring clients through this website. The staff is helpful and prompt.
Pros
Easy to use website
Cons
High salary percentage taken out.
This company takes 60% of your salary!!!!
Teacher/ Tutor (Former Employee) –  New York, FloridaSeptember 8, 2017
I was very unhappy w the setup.
The company takes a whopping 60% of what your rate is.......unbelievable!
If you don't mind working for pesos and being treated like a non professional dummy, then Wyzant is for you! A great company that discourages you in your profession because of the way they manage their members' pay rate!!!!!
Very Good
Spanish Instructor (Current Employee) –  TutorAugust 30, 2017
It is a Good choice to work but it provides low payments
Wyzant Tutoring Consultants
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Tempe, AZAugust 28, 2017
Wyzant is a easy to use interface to help tutors connect with students. They handle the finances at a low rate. I recommend anyone who wants to tutor to utilize this site.
Pros
Set your own schedule
Cons
Somewhat impersonal since it is a website...not really a con these days
You're an independent contractor. Your reputation relies on client reviews.
Math Tutor (Former Employee) –  McLean, VAAugust 28, 2017
At WyzAnt you're an independent contractor. You set your rate, but WyzAnt takes a big chunk of it (though the chunk lessens over time). The web site has an easy user interface.

Your reputation depends on the reviews of your clients.

I was a math tutor. I have a strong background in math and did not have problems handling atypical math classes/assignments, but my clients complained that other tutors were not prepared for such classes. A tutor said they 'knew' algebra for example, but struggled with a unique algebra honors course the client was taking. That algebra tutor had to have passed Wyzant's algebra test (which you can only take once by the way), but the test does not encompass all that algebra can be.

I loved my clients and the reason I left was to pursue a degree. I still think about my clients and hope they are becoming successful mathematicians!
Pros
You set your own salary and your own hours.
Cons
There are no real benefits. If you do in-home tutoring there's a lot of driving.
Re
Private Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 23, 2017
I enjoy tutoring with WyzAnt.
The compensation rate is not too good.
But I love what I do.
I enjoy tutoring.
I continue to be a WyzAnt Tutor.
Tutoring is self-rewarding.
good experience
Private Math & Science Tutor (Former Employee) –  OnlineAugust 22, 2017
Great website to start your tutoring business. I got many clients and students and started my own small private business of tutoring. Got great tutoring experience.
Pros
flexible
Cons
wish it worked better.
Great marketing for self-employed tutors
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAAugust 12, 2017
Wyzant provides independent tutors with job opportunities based on the tutor's location. As a tutor, I have had many students, most likely due to the fact that tutors are rewarded with more profile visibility when they respond quickly to student requests. I typically do not have to reach out to new students - they find me first. Though the money is not much, the portion of pay that Wyzant takes is reduced each time a tutor completes a milestone of hours. So there is an opportunity to keep more of your money as you gain additional experience. As a full-time employee during the week, I have found this to be a great opportunity to earn a bit of extra cash while helping others in my field or in allied industries. It can also be used as a stepping stone to permanent teaching opportunities elsewhere should a tutor desire to do so.
Pros
Flexible schedules, visibility, experience
Cons
Low pay
Unfair and unreasonable company
Student (Former Employee) –  MichiganAugust 9, 2017
I had a complaint about a tutor who lack of ethic and responsibility and without asking any questions, I got an email saying my complaint had nothing to do with the company and therefore my account was going to be close. If any account needed to be close it was the tutor one, not mine.