WyzAnt Employee Review

If you are a student and need tutoring, DON'T CHOOSE WYZANT! If you want to be a tutor, RUN!
Former Spanish Tutor (Former Employee) –  Colorado SpringsAugust 24, 2013
I was a tutor for WyzAnt for some months and I had to deal with its Customer "Service" department many times. It is AWFUL! WyzAnt IS basically a scam for tutors. They say you are an "independent contractor" but it is a LIE. Wyzant monitors your e-mail, controls your meetings, PROHIBITS YOU TO HAVE MEETINGS with potential students that they don't like (I have the proofs about it!) and CONTROL how you meet with YOUR students. So, you are like an slave for them and they take 40% of YOUR PROFIT! Besides, they don't pay the taxes, YOU, THE TUTOR HAVE TO PAY THEM. Like a review says here: "They don't comply with state laws and search way beyond what is legally permissible". And, the most important thing: MANY OF MY STUDENTS (because I continue being a tutor and I'm NOT associated with WyzAnt anymore!) complain about HARASSMENT when, for example, they send the money and they don't receive it because there have been a mistake from THE BANK. HARASSMENT! WyzAnt is all about THE PROFITS, THE MONEY and NOT the students and much less the tutors. Other thing: WyzAnt sends TONS OF ADVERTISING, MARKETING INFO... a lot of SPAM, all day, every day. NOTHING about the unfair, illogical and "BIG BROTHER" rules' and then, if you present a complaint about SOMETHING, ANYTHING, they accuse you of things you never did. It is really creepy the treatment they give to their tutors. The last thing (that I will write, because I have sooooo much more information if someone need it): many of my students hired some WyzAnt tutors and they were SO BAD, so AWFUL, they didn't even know about GRAMMAR. I am a proofreader,  more... expert in grammar and native Spanish speaker and the things they told me about many of WyzAnt tutors are embarrassing. Do you know how WyzAnt "KNOWS" that you are a "qualified" tutor? You take a simple, basic and really foolish "test". And, then, YOU BECOME A TUTOR. My advise? Don't waste your time, money and energy with WyzAnt.  less
Pros
Cons
Read my review!

Other WyzAnt Employee Reviews

A Great Opportunity for Tutors Starting from Scratch
Accounting Tutor (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CANovember 12, 2017
Wyzant is a great opportunity for tutors building up a business. It takes time, and it takes patience, but after a year of tutoring one or two students every two or three months, assuming one provides great service and great results, they will start getting more inquiries, to the point where it will be a viable business opportunity.

There are many tutors on Wyzant who make a great living doing extremely rewarding work. There is something money can't justify when a student tells you, "I failed my first two tests and may not have graduated from college, but thanks to your tutoring, I was able to pass with a B and get my degree!"

If that sounds like something one would like to do with their life, Wyzant is a great platform to start out. Just understand, they take a fat cut off your hourly rate, and if you don't perform, you will not be successful.

That said, the risks and costs have been well worth it for me.
Pros
Cons
self determined hours, self determined pay scale, self determined culture, self determined job function, only limits are market forces, high percentage fee split with Wyzant (but worth it)
Self employed individuals are helped by WyzAnt to find customers
Tutor (Current Employee) –  Santa Clara County, CANovember 10, 2017
I like Wyzant because the company finds jobs for self employed individuals. The customer service department is very helpful in solving technical problems.
Pros
Self employed people have freedom to choose jobs
Cons
Wyzant take 30% of my pay and their are no benefits