Xanterra Parks & Resorts Employee Reviews in United States

Well Balanced Company
Cook (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZMarch 17, 2016
A great company for those who enjoy traveling and learning. Some managers can be inexperienced or demanding but overall good for growing.
Pros
Traveling, opportunities for advancement
Cons
Long hours, inexperienced management
I enjoyed to work in the park because i am so happy to serve the guest with showing a big SMILE :)
Practicum Trainee (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZMarch 26, 2016
i am happy to work with co legs , i learned what is the culture between others, the management was so great and amazing , hardest part of the job, when guest are so annoying , the most enjoyable in the when you are happy to your work and talking to the guest gently .
Productive and fun work place
Old Faithful Lodge Line Cook Manager (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYMarch 10, 2016
I was a line cook in the third busiest kitchen in the world in Yellowstone National Park overall doing 2500 orders a day. Waking up and going into work meant hitting the ground running before starting dinner shift. Everyone had there separate food prep duties to finish before the rush started. My position was managing all the incoming orders which at times was very overwhelming, you just have to keep a cool head and tough it out. There was always a great sense of team work that I liked, and everyone would help you with anything you needed. The hardest part of the job was the overwhelming amount of work in a 12 hour shift.
Pros
Free food, breaks, working with people from all around the world
Cons
Long hours, small pay
Life Changing
Host and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZJanuary 4, 2016
It is a life changing not just because it is the first time working far from my family but because the culture is different. Meeting new people with different nationalities every day add more knowledge about what life is. The management treat us well and never fail to accommodate all our needs.
Pros
50% discount in every food, 20% in every thing can be bought in all stores in the park.
Very productive and fun at work
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, USAFebruary 5, 2016
Start the day with a smile and greeting your coworkers good morning or good afternoon. I have learned to balance myself in serving guests while training our new coming coworkers from international or local. My coworkers are fun to work with and very passionate with their job whether it's a tiring day they never miss a day to greet me or some of our coworkers a smile. The most enjoyable part of my job was I gained friends from my coworkers especially they are from other countries such as Ecuador, Poland, Thailand, local states in the United States and of course with all the things that our manager taught us in different stations, strategies and advises regards to personal life for a future career and about work.
Pros
50% discount with lunches
Cons
hot pots with heavy liquid food inside
no job security
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  old faithfulJanuary 24, 2016
in the last two years i have been put in several positions that are a health risk to me. they have not provided adequate safety gear and i purchased my own. there is not any job security and they do not try to help you learn new things. the support staff seems lost
Pros
healthcare and 401k
Cons
lack of job security, on call without pay
Working as a Resident Assistant in Yellowstone National Park was a unique experience.
Resident Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJune 2, 2016
Serving as a Resident Assistant at a lodge in Xanterra Parks and Resorts at Yellowstone National Park was a one-of-a-kind experience. My job entailed cleaning hotel rooms, moving luggage, running errands, and organizing cleaning supplies.

The management provided a positive atmosphere with much support and encouragement. They also allowed workers to help and look out after each other. This built up comradery and group cohesion. Sometimes we had to take care of difficult or extremely messy visitors who did not clean up after themselves. The workers came from all walks of life ranging from college students to retired people. Another advantage of working at Yellowstone National park was seeing natural features and going on tours free of charge.
Pros
Free tours and excellent management.
Cons
Messy visitors.
Poor management, beautiful place
Retail Associate (Former Employee) –  Estes Park, COApril 26, 2016
Working in a national park is a very unique experience. I worked in a wonderful park, Rocky Mountain National Park in Colorado, and ended up hiking on more than half of my days off. It gave me some great scenery and outdoor experience that is invaluable. The management at Xanterra is very slow and does not communicate however. As a government contractor, they do not need to compete against other companies, so they have little incentive to be an efficient corporation and it shows. Other than the park, Xanterra has little to no pros.
Pros
Great location if you're okay with only seeing it from the windows.
Cons
Short breaks if you get a break at all, long hours, mandatory overtime, short days off, mostly incompetent managers, conflicting responsibilities
Straight to the point
E.D.R. crew /(relief)Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  WyomingMarch 18, 2016
Good work ethics that is able to equalize the work load and relationships that stick to professional tiers. Come in to work and see the closing crew did a superb job of clean work space. Learn about Handling a cook knife, even preparing new meals (never been done before but get best complement on food satisfaction), time managing on multitasking, the only hardest part i would have to say is covering the morning shifts when another person is a no show that is when the multi tasking under the fire and still manage to get it job done. The best experience out of all of it is working with these people who comes in with a can do attitude and help pull the weight in which made the work place fun.
Pros
Positive attitude atmosphere, multicultural workplace
Cons
no work of overtime.
great people to work with, met people from all over the world to come work there
cook,cashier,front desk,nite auditor (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZMarch 6, 2016
loved working with all the different cultures that visited the grand canyon everyday. learned to enjoy customer service a lot more.
Pros
free transportation on bus service
Cons
paid for all meals and housing could of been better.
excellency in hospitality services and dedication to preserving the environment
dba Grand Canyon Railway & Hotel (Current Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZJuly 23, 2016
provide excellent customer service
be an all around team player
strive to maintain high standards for all internal and external customers

the technical aspects of hospitality

superior management team

co-workers all perform as one unit; family atmosphere

end of week statement reconciliations, verification of all paperwork

meeting/greeting people from all cultures/places from around the world
Pros
8-5 mon-fri
Cons
salary/pay-rate
They don't care about their employees!!!
Switchboard/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZAugust 27, 2015
This company is low pay. They do not care about their employees. It is all work and no play. You don't get a chance to enjoy the park because you are working all the time. I received a company raise but did not get a yearly raise due to the company raise. If you like working for minimum pay then this job is for you. The employee food is terrible and expensive. They have a major bed bug infestation in housing arrangements and all over the park.
Pros
Working and living in a national park.
Cons
Low pay, employee food is bad and unhealthy, bed bugs infestation.
Exciting and Energetic Seasonal work
Park Wide Trainer For Beverage Ops, Bar Lead (Former Employee) –  WYSeptember 14, 2015
Supportive environment with many opportunities to grow and learn from the plethora of individuals who work there.
The expectation is that you work hard and play hard.
Excellent advancement opportunities with the best back yard in the nation.
Committed to the Environment in every aspect of work and living.
Constant improvement due to being open to change
Pros
In YNP, Constant Feedback, Seasonal
Cons
Seasonal, Dorm living
Fun place to work
Front Desk Agent (Former Employee) –  Lake Hotel Yellowstone National Park WYOctober 9, 2015
-working the kitchen was interesting, but my favorite was working in the deli as a cashier
-learned to interact with the guests while making sure their orders are done
-management was very on point they gave me the opportunity to go to different places in F&B (dish pit to pantry prep-deli cashier)
-co-workers were very fun to work with, as I said with the other Xanterra review, everyone in Yellowstone are treated like family
-Hardest part is trying to juggle cashiering, making food, and making drinks at the same time
-most enjoyable part is working in a national park and making so many connections with people
Pros
working in a national park
Cons
paying for dorms and food out of my paycheck (they deduct the money from the check)
Fun workplace, Ecologically diverse surrounding
Hospitality Crew (Server) (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYDecember 26, 2015
Xanterra Parks and Resorts in Old Faithful at Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming is a fun place to work in. They have a lot of ecologically diverse spots that keeps every day life enjoyable. Every day, i found myself continuously learning about various cultures and reality of life.
Pros
beautiful attractions
Outstanding work place, co-workers & customers
Transportation Rep. and Parts & Service Clerk (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZMarch 27, 2016
Live and work in a National Park, and I did for almost ten years off and on. Helping people enjoy their vacation is a hard job to beat. The hard part is in such a popular spot, sometimes you have to tell folks no more room for an activity. It's nice though to be able to present a lot of options that will be just as enjoyable.
Pros
Live and work in a National Park.
Cons
None to mention.
Great place to live and work.
Banquet Manager/Assistant Restaurant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZJuly 22, 2015
Several promotions, and raises.
Extensive Management training and Certifications.
Great Management team.
Awesome place to live, in a National Park at one of the
great wonders of the world.
Pros
Lifetime experiences
Work and Live in the Park
Assistant Banquet Manager (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJuly 9, 2016
Amazing place to be in contact with nature. Hiking, camping, and meeting new people from different parts of the world.

You can rent gear for the activities if you don't have and take advantage of the discounts for being a Xanterra employee.
Pros
Accesible for activities
Cons
Plan Meal
a good company but large corporate mentality
Electrician (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone Park, NYJanuary 24, 2016
this company does not place a high value on its employee care. each day there is things that you are told to do that if you are not extra careful could be grounds for you to loose your job. it is unfortunate that they do not show value of each person especially in such a wonderful place. when asked if they could help with opportunities to learn they are less then willing to help you get training and they tend to want you to learn new tasks and not pay you for the new responsibility
Pros
always full hours
Cons
lower pay and lack of support staff
Exciting, fun and absolutely Beautiful place to work!
Assistant Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJanuary 22, 2016
I was originally hired as a server, and was promoted within 3 months to FOH Assistant Dining Room Manager. Working in Yellowstone National Park is absolutely amazing!. And I loved the training they gave us. The restaurant was busy from the minute the doors opened until 10:00pm when they closed. It was probably the most "fast-paced" job I've ever had and I loved every single second of it! Too bad it was only seasonal, and I live in AZ so having to uproot myself every few months was difficult.