Xanterra Parks & Resorts Employee Reviews

Yellowstone National Park
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National ParkSeptember 24, 2013
When I applied for this job it sounded like it would be a great experience. I would get to live in Yellowstone for the summer and spends days hiking and fishing while getting paid to work in one of the most beautiful places in the world. I was placed in the location of Grant Village where the gift shop was small, so only two associates and the store manager were going to be working there, but you would be working alone. When I arrived the store wasn't even open yet, so myself, the other associate, and the manager had to set the store up. Doing so made me feel more comfortable in the store because I knew where most of the products were. A typical day at work if I was opening would consist of arriving 30 minutes early making sure the store was stocked, dusted, and vacuumed. After I made sure that was done, I would open my register and then open the store. I would greet every customer that entered the store with a simple hello and smile. As they were looking around I would ask if they needed help finding anything. When the were done I would ring them out and send them off with a thank you and a smile. As the products left the shelf I would go by and front the store making sure everything was neat and orderly and all holes were filled. After my shift I would close my drawer: count the cash, debt and credit slips, and make the deposit for the day. If I was closing I would do the same as previously stated and close after the last customer had left even if it was after closing. After the door was closed and locked I would vacuum, restock, and close my drawer. Lock the door and leave  more... for the night. After the first couple of weeks the other associate fell and broke her wrist, so she was no longer able to work for a few weeks, and later tore a meniscus and was no longer able to work. It was down to myself and my manager. I ended up working for hours than my manager. I was working 110 hours a week 7 days a week. I was told I would be working up to 48 hours a week and I would have two days off. I don't think the manager did her job very well. I feel as though she was lazy and didn't care if she was there or not. The hardest part of the job was working 110 hours every week becoming sick and still having to work. The most enjoyable part of the job was talking to the customers finding out where they are coming from and how much they are enjoying Yellowstone.  less
Pros
the views of yellowstone
Cons
no breaks, working 110 hours a week alone, horrible food
Yellowstone was great... Xanterra, not so much
Front Desk (Former Employee) –  Old FaithfulAugust 18, 2015
Staying in Yellowstone was awesome. Being able to live inside the first National Park and having a variety of things to do made days off very nice. Xanterra as a company may be a solid, large company, but the appointed management was worthless. There was no sense of respect or care towards the guests. Little things would be swept under the rug like they were no big deal. For example, a broken soda machine stayed broken for well over a month, as did the change machine in the laundry room. Guests look for the little things and too many little things adds up to a bigger issue. The lack of effort shown by the managers is a shame. Working in a customer service industry, the customer/ guest should be the number one priority and I felt like this was not the case. They refused to take in any serious ideas that would provide a better experience for the guests who are spending a lot of money for a little return. The problem may be the fact that its seasonal work. One season a manager could be head of location, the next, he or she could be a server in a dinning room. The experience and training may not be there, which is greatly shown. Also, I cannot tell you how many times I saw a room being compt for much higher than what it should be. This is due to Xanterra being afraid of poor reviews online... Well Xanterra... here's a bad review. So if you decide to work for Xanterra in the Yellowstone location, be aware of this. I'm sure you will enjoy the park, I know I did, but I have a hard time putting forth the effort and time working for a company that does bad business.
Pros
Yellowstone
Cons
Management, food, pay, housing
Hotel Working
HOUSEKEEPING ASSISTANT MANAGER / TRAINER (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYOctober 29, 2015
I was an Assistant Housekeeping Manager for Xanterra Parks and Resorts. My typical day was high paced, required me to always be on my toes, work with many other departments to please guests and get the supplies that we needed to run our operations. Customer service was my #1 priority. The hardest part of the job was cleaning different types of bio hazard messes. My coworkers were amazing people, who with my direction, kept reaching for the positive, therefore creating a positive workplace. The great attitudes and personalities that I worked with created one of the best places to stay in Yellowstone National Park. The guests loved it there. The most enjoyable part of working here was the connection with my coworkers,employees, and the guests that visited our location in the park. Person to person relationships are very important to me; I believe that if you are good to a person and take care of them in whatever business it is, they will either return to you or refer new clients to you. Report is a good thing to have. I learned a lot in this job and it's too much to type. I would be glad to share in person.
Pros
Small community of 120 employees in every department.
Cons
Closed to the outside world- no wifi, no newspapers, no television
Equal oppertunity for all employee's
Wrangler, Host, Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJanuary 30, 2013
Hard work is everything with this company, which is a good thing. I learned how to do my best to fulfill the expectations of all guest's, and taking responsibility for the lives of people and livestock when in the backcountry of Yellowstone. We were fully staffed at 11 wranglers and every single person counted, if one of us were slacking the rest had to pick up the extra. It taught me how to work very closely with a group and sometimes even trust within them my life. The hardest part would be working 14-15 hour days, always on your feet or in the saddle without much of a weekend. It takes a toll on your mind and body. I would say the most enjoyable part would be having the privledge to explore Yellowstone as a horse guide, not many people can say that. I had a family and a home. I worked hard and was able to get/achieve what i wanted doing so. I also was able to share with people what our culture is missing: WILDNESS. Nature at its finest, and to me, that was irreplacable.
Pros
best job in the park
Cons
low pay baised on desire of job not qualification level.
Awesome place to work before it was sold
Accounts payable (Former Employee) –  Flagstaff, AZMarch 18, 2015
Accounts Payable 10/2000 – 11/2007
Perform accounting and clerical tasks related to the efficient maintenance and processing of accounts payable transactions, review invoices and check requests, sort and match invoices and check requests
set invoices up for payments, process check requests, prepare and process accounts payable checks,
wire transfers and ACH payments, reconciliation of payments, prepare analysis of accounts
monitor accounts to ensure payments are up to date, resolve invoice discrepancies, vendor file maintenance, correspond with vendors and respond to inquiries, produce monthly reports, assist in month end closing
Reservation Sales Coordinator 05/2000 – 10/2000
Handle all incoming reservation calls with efficiency and professionalism, be able to make reservations, cancellations and answer questions on rates, hotel facilities, services and special promotions.

The org. owners were the best, everything changed after the company was sold.
Pros
great owners and bosses
Cons
the company was sold
Xanterra is a great company for gaining experience in many different types of jobs.
BAR LEAD (Current Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYOctober 14, 2012
Xanterra has a very reasonable compensation program, as well as very reasonably priced room and board. All living facilites were well kept for the most part. Staffing inconsistencies from year to year make it hard to know in advance how much you will actually be working, but the work itself is not too challenging, no matter what department you're in.
The main benefit of Xanterra is that once you have proven yourself to be a reliable employee you have the ability to change departments and move up the ranks fairly easily. If you are in Food and Beverage and you realize it's not for you, you could switch to housekeeping, transportation, etc. until you find something that suits you.
Pros
you live on location, all you can eat meals, 31+ minute breaks every shift, you meet people from all over the country and world
Cons
you may have to move a few times a year
Tight knit family of coworkers.
Server/Bartender (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYNovember 4, 2013
Working at Yellowstone National Park as a server is a very different experience that I am glad that I had. A typical day at work is usually working a double or split shift. Most days were twelve hour days and most of the time you worked late and were up early the next morning. I worked and lived with the same people everyday and as a result we became incredibly close. The lifestyle is not for everybody but I have to say that I enjoyed it immensely. The scenery was beautiful all the time and I was able to meet people from all over the world on a daily basis. The only downside to the job would be the fact that we basically lived in the middle of nowhere. It is a long drive to get into any town close by and I very much missed being a part of city life.
Pros
coworkers, customers, scenery, lifestyle
Cons
long hours, being away from the city
Yellowstone National Park
Line Cook (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYMarch 30, 2015
A typical day at work is preparing all your food for the service and then getting things ready for the next one and the next day. Then when time for service comes around being ready for a slam of orders and being able to put out a ticket in under 15 mins. I learned how communication in the kitchen between cooks and the ticket caller are important. Management will answer any questions you have and are friendly. Co-workers are usually friendly and are there for the same reason as you. The hardest part is getting up at 4 in the morning to go to a 5 am shift. The most enjoyable part was getting to joke around with the servers and other cooks during service and after work.
Pros
Stay in dorms close by, in the middle of a National Park which you can get into for free for being employee
A nighmare for anyone that has some degree of profesionalism and work pride
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Old FaithfulApril 7, 2015
If you like to work for low pay togetehr with unskileld college kids, pot smokers, hobos and transists then this might be a great place for you. A 40% turnover of workers who dont fullfill their contarct says it all, no? Terminations, firings, filled park jails. Kitchen that serve 500 dinners a night and in thee same time, the vast majority has never cooked a meal in their life, and has no passion for the same, a nightmare for anyone who has some pride, work etic or dedication. The eyar around management sits in their offices and listen to slander all day long and never put their foot in the operation. truly an amazing work place.
Pros
the day of departure
Cons
drunks, pot heads, hobos working for 3 square emals and a bed to sleep in.
Lived on site, Best experience anyone could have.
Host/Waitress/Food Runner/Expo/Barista (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village, COMarch 30, 2013
A typical day at work could change, you have to be ready for anything, (weather, different co-workers, cultures, 500-1000 people seating a night).

I learned more out in YNP than I learned in my entire college career. You learn different cultures and beliefs more than anything, and how to work in one of the highest rated and paced restaurants in America.

Co-workers were wonderful and from all over the world.

The hardest part was language barriers, lots of co-workers and guests were from other countries and didn't understand english.

The most enjoyable part was being away from everything you knew, getting to know so many different people and learning about where they come from and what they believe in.
it is a ok place to work
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYSeptember 12, 2013
it is a ok place to work as long as you can get a long with the management. the management this summer (2013) in grant village was the worst it has ever bean. the people i worked with were ok. we were under staffed an working 6 days a week but xanterra would not give us over time so if your job was not finished at 48 hours you had to go home even if there was still food to be cooked. an the management would not help you out they would sit in the office an talk. at least the chef an the food an bevarage manager would the am an pm sous chef''s would be on the floor helping the line cooks but prep would get no help at all. so ya that s what i have to say about xanterra parks an resorts in yellow stone for the summer of 2013
Easy and working with exchange students from all around.
Line Server (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZJuly 15, 2014
Well there were specific times where we got our business and then trying to figure out what to clean while it wasn't. I learned my first customer service job and food handling. I had met many co-workers from around the world and hearing stories from how things are over there. The hardest thing was trying to keep up with business especially when customers were coming left to right. I enjoyed the many times talking to customers and co-workers from around the world and getting a chance to learn many different cultures.
Pros
free drinks, flexible schedule and many appreciation awards
Cons
pay for meals, uniforms and hours of operation
Changed my life.
Distributiton center help, mail order clerk (Former Employee) –  Gardiner, MTJuly 18, 2013
I worked in Yellowstone National Park for 5 seasons and I had the greatest time in my life there.
I met so many people and made very good friends from the first day and are stiil friends today.
I feel like I leave family there at the end of each season.
The park is so beautiful and who could ask for a better back yard to play in.
I will always hold Yellowstone and the people I have worked with there close to my heart for they have made my life more enriched.
I had to take a few years off because I had a new Grandchild I wanted to spend time with.
Pros
field trips from work to see a wolf on a kill.
Cons
can't complain. just wish i could of stayed forever.
crater lake is a beautiful place to work live and play its one of the seven wonders of the world would recomend it to anyone
General Maintenance/ Engineering Tech II (Current Employee) –  Crater Lake National Park, ORJanuary 4, 2015
working at a national park for the concessionaires is very good . management is average , job security is good . bennefits such as medical, vision, and dentil are above average. vacation , sick time is average and rate of pay is below average for the same position any where else in the united states is my personal opinion . hours may vary. and excess work hours are needed due to low manpower.
Pros
the place outweighs the people in likeness
Cons
would not recomend for winter stays
They don't care about their employees!!!
Switchboard/Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, AZAugust 27, 2015
This company is low pay. They do not care about their employees. It is all work and no play. You don't get a chance to enjoy the park because you are working all the time. I received a company raise but did not get a yearly raise due to the company raise. If you like working for minimum pay then this job is for you. The employee food is terrible and expensive. They have a major bed bug infestation in housing arrangements and all over the park.
Pros
Working and living in a national park.
Cons
Low pay, employee food is bad and unhealthy, bed bugs infestation.
A fun albeit occasionally depressing work environment
Pantry, Houskeeper, Cook (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYDecember 19, 2015
Due to the location of my work (Yellow Stone National Park) the oppressive conditions outside of work were made tolerable. I was never accosted for any of my conduct, but so many of my friends were that it made the last year working there less than satisfying. This, along with my desire to pursue writing, was a reason for my leaving that occupation.
Pros
Nature everywhere, and great companionship; fun and understanding managment, and the best of coworkers.
Cons
Limited autonomy, security guards were more like prison guards.
It was fun and outgoing work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Crater Lake, ORNovember 4, 2013
I worked at closing shifts every night. The manager likes how I work hard at nights because I get everything done. My co-workers are amazing team. I enjoyed that job before the government shutdown like free mochas every day, greeting the customers at the cash register, talking to co-workers if the business is slow, and making mass productions of the sandwiches. I have learned to deal with the customers satisfaction of the food and the service and also coping with stress through customers.
Pros
free espressoes every day, free meals.
Cons
none.
Exciting, fun and absolutely Beautiful place to work!
Assistant Dining Room Manager (Former Employee) –  Yellowstone National Park, WYJanuary 22, 2016
I was originally hired as a server, and was promoted within 3 months to FOH Assistant Dining Room Manager. Working in Yellowstone National Park is absolutely amazing!. And I loved the training they gave us. The restaurant was busy from the minute the doors opened until 10:00pm when they closed. It was probably the most "fast-paced" job I've ever had and I loved every single second of it! Too bad it was only seasonal, and I live in AZ so having to uproot myself every few months was difficult.
Productive in Customer Service
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Greenwood Village COJuly 15, 2015
Make sure there are enough employee's to handle the call volume, listen to monitors and give feedback on the phone call, and assist the CS Rep in how to improve on their call, assist with coming up with proper standards and policies. Research online to hire the qualified person, do all of the hiring. Co-workers are good people always willing to help a person out. Most enjoyable thing is making people's vacation plans and making it a worthwhile trip.
Pros
getting the ability to tour the National Parks
Cons
short lunches
Decent environment to work in.
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Grand Canyon, ArizonaJanuary 31, 2012
Starting out can be difficult as provided living conditions in the Grand Canyon are less than ideal, but as you advance the opportunity to upgrade housing is available. Working customer service can always be trying, but management is helpful, and there is an employee assistant program to work with if work/life feels overwhelming. The opportunities for once in a lifetime leisure is always present.
Pros
nature, hiking, views, location, commaradarie, benefits, coworkers.
Cons
weather, hours, coworkers.