Xcel Energy Employer Reviews

Good Company with Stable job and sector
Project Manager (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXFebruary 28, 2015
Good place to work, good experienced people, solid business. Certain aspects of job functions could be better organized and more efficient.
Good coworkers, bad management
Power System Trader (Current Employee), Denver, COFebruary 25, 2015
No room for movement within company, management ok with people staying exactly where they are at. Great coworkers, good compensation package.
Routine and great pay.
Carpenter (Current Employee), Maple Grove, MNFebruary 21, 2015
Pros: usually home at night.
Cons: long drives to work site.
Currently we are pouring concrete pier foundations for a new transmission line. The best part about my job is being home at night. The most difficult thing about my job is the desire I have for a more challenging workload.
Loved working with customer on difficult situations
Customer Contact Center (Current Employee), Eau Claire, WIFebruary 16, 2015
Xcel energy is a great place to work if you enjoy talking with customers of all types ie.. angry, mean, upset, talkative, pleasant, and just needing help.
Working Environment & People are Great
Material Project Planner (Current Employee), Maple Grove, MNFebruary 3, 2015
Pros: people and environment
Hardwork everyday would not expect anything less froma company that is improving the field of energy innovation.Time Managment is the key to doing your job
Great benefits but siloed
Project Manager Intern (Current Employee), Welch, MNJanuary 29, 2015
One of the better employers. Pros are the pay and benefits but poor management individuals are able to hide behind policies.
Juvenile attitudes in management....play favorites....set traps...witch hunts...zero real fact finding
Field Operator High Pressure Gas (Former Employee), ColoradoJanuary 27, 2015
Pros: benefits...home every night
Cons: favoritism, head games, childish tactics, cut throat back stabbing politics
I worked as a Field Operator in high pressure gas for almost 20 years. Used to have a family type atmosphere & everyone cared!! But last five to seven years....it went down hill badly! They started downsizing and "trimming the fat"....yet they lost perspective & trimmed in the wrong areas!! Did nothing to change....(.as a steady stream of very very experienced & talented over worked & under appreciated, amount of disrespected & disgusted employees, with years & years of experience & expertise, who had a major part in building & operating & understanding the system & the business & what makes money & what doesn't)....When other companies started offering more money with more incentives & more appreciation and less inadequacies and obstacles to overcome & more state of the art & better equipment to work with....to these employees?? And they still tried to show loyalty & respect to xcel & give them an opportunity to either match the offer or at the very least, even try offering up a little something extra...and they didnt!! Xcel has a very broken concept...that just having the pride that you work for xcel energy...should be plenty good enough!!? Thinking that, just having a job with them is good enough!! They have totally lost track of taking care of the hands that feed them....more like, make it possible for the fat cats & management, to get their big bonuses & extra encentives....only to turn around & cut more jobs!! They have gotten all the life outta the concept of doing more with less! Especially when it comes to putting money back into the system, tools, fleet, or equipment! – more... And if I were to go into the grade school type little head games and favoritism that goes on.......I'd probably be typing until my computer locked up!! Same goes for "the compliance hotline" where anyone can call in and say or report anything whether true unfounded or otherwise....& accuse anyone of anything....While remaining completely anonymous! ! A total chicken and back stabbing & phony & corrupt concept that can set off a witch hunt on anybody who happens to get on someone's bad side or aren't "one of the good olĂ© boys" & have your life & career & family & everything that you hold true & just, turned completely upside down!! Next thing ya know....you're holding your last paycheck & wondering how to tell the wife & kids that their whole way of life has been ripped out from under them!!! All from someone who remains in the shadows with unfounded & ridiculous accusations!! When there are far far worse things going on...In plain site everyday!! To make it even more of a joke & preposterous. ..it's usual being done by the ones who are supposed to be leaders & setting the examples.....team leads..management. ..on up!!! So....if you plan on standing up for yourself and your integrity and you open your mouth on things that you don't think are right....and you make some waves....you'll probably be weeded out!?? No matter all the years of proud loyal service and dedication and helping the company save money.....by making a silk purse outta a sows butt!! (Making old outdated equipment work...& not have to spend any money) Anyway....All this....losing your job in that kinda manner & being a "union" employee even!!! Should help sum things up for ya!?!? So much for getting any kind of return for paying almost 20 years worth of union dues!!!!! Take the favoritism away...reform the way the compliance line works.... (after al.... a fella should be allowed to face his accuser?) Take away the huge bonuses the fat cats get & actually put that revenue back into the system or extra incentives for the "working guys" and start hiring more than just friends & family. ..and it would be an excellent place to work!! ENTER AT YOUR OWN RISK!! – less
Good place to work - very busy
Principal Substation Electrical Engineer (Current Employee), Denver, COJanuary 24, 2015
Very good place to work. Everyone is helpful and there is a lot of work on TX and NM presently.
I liked working for the company
Call Center Specialist (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJanuary 20, 2015
A typical day at Xecl Energy would conceits of me answering the phone, In would be ether helping costumers get a tect out to their house to help fix a appliance thats broke.
great place to work, at times
Customer Contact (Former Employee), Roseville, MNJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: progression is based on performance, not seniority
Cons: call center, very high stress.
I worked in the call center, and it was a very nice environment, I always felt that my supervisor was there to help and was not overly critical of me.

The only thing that i did not like was that they say this is an easy company to advance in, but from what i saw, you had to 'know someone' to advance and even that did not always help.
fun place to work
Laborer (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNDecember 29, 2014
Pros: get paid on thursday
Cons: it is not year round work
Everyone is nice to work with.we work 10 to 12 hours a day.good place to work.
A bit annoying
Supervisor (Former Employee), MNDecember 5, 2014
Management remains fairly tight-lipped about what the future holds, and that is when you can actually pin management down and ask them things. The reviewal process is very hit and miss, with a team of managers in a room with lists of all employees and their respective scores on the board with everybody free-for-all arguing about whether that rating matches the person or not.

They treat their employees with little respect and tend to pick favorites. For those people that spend the time doing their job vs joking around to gain favor, we tend to suffer a little.

That being said, they do pay pretty well and give nice benefits.
heavy equipment operator
Yard Equipment Operator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 30, 2014
I already did a review, it was a great work place. No lack of work and all the overtime you can handle.
Sr. Plant Engineer (Current Employee), Denver, CONovember 29, 2014
It is an excellent company but management's integrity is questionable. They are more of managers than leaders,.
Great and legit work from home company
Alpine Access - Customer Service (Former Employee), Denver, ColoradoNovember 28, 2014
Pros: work from home
Cons: sometimes not enough hours
Loved the fact I could just jump on the phone to take Customer Service calls directly from home and no driving needed I loved the hours that were very flexible so I could work within the 24 hour period.
Long Travel
Capital Projects Administrative III (Former Employee), Bayport, MNNovember 17, 2014
I enjoyed working for this company, however I had to end up driving 85 miles each day to work and I was not compensated for this. I was required to be to work on time despite the harsh weather conditions. i.e snow storms ect.
fast pace
Customer service Representative (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNNovember 17, 2014
Inbound calls center for starting, stopping, transferring electric and gas services, as well as emergency dispatch for gas emergencies, power outages and fire.
I learn the ins and outs of the energy we use, education clients on conservation of energy, the importance of calling before digging and calling when a line or tree is down. I learn how to handle emergencies and sending out dispatch, working the the policy and fire department, being thorough in documenting conversations on every account.
great company
Call Center (inbound/outbound) (Former Employee), Roseville, MNNovember 9, 2014
great company. great employees and co-workers. great hours.
Great people, great company
Technical Analysts/Business Analyst (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNNovember 3, 2014
I enjoyed my time at Xcel Energy, the people were extremely willing to help you out and extremely professional.
meter reader (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXOctober 22, 2014
I liked working at Xcel. I don't think they pay the meters enough money and their benefits cost the employees too much.

1 2 3 4 5

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity – Read more

Xcel Energy Photos