Xcel Energy Employee Reviews in United States

Excellant Company/Safety First
Utility Worker C (Former Employee) –  Sioux Falls, SDAugust 8, 2016
I only worked for this company for a season as a Utility Worker C but that didn't take away how good the job actually was. This company treats its employees like you are all a family and safety was no issue. If this wasn't just a seasonal job, I will still be working for them today.
Pros
Good Pay, Uniform provided, Excellant management
Cons
Worked on Saturdays during construction season.
Great place to work.
Compliance Intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 18, 2016
I learned a lot about the Compliance and Regulatory fields working for a large company. The people were great and very helpful to make my experience meaningful. From working on corporate policies to getting to know co-workers better, it was great to see how much a great work environment really adds to the value of the work you are doing.
Good benefits
Call Center Representative (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 9, 2016
A typical day at Xcel Energy consists of sitting at a cubical, and answering phone calls until the end of your shift. Management is really supportive, always there when you need help.
Great project team to work with
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2016
Great client to work with - smooth transition from XP to Windows 7
Each week we would review software installation instructions, test end product ourselves or with client. Weekly meetings.
good combination of routine and challenge
Technical Trainer (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 5, 2016
Just hit my two year mark with Technical Training in the Energy Supply side and continue to look forward to going to work in the mornings. I have a very supportive supervisor, manager and co-workers. We are constantly bouncing ideas off of each other and solicit feedback, formal and informal, from apprentices and trainees in order to make the material more relevant. I have received full performance bonuses as I am always looking for additional opportunities to challenge myself. After working for the federal government for 20 years, the benefits are not as good but my supervisor allows us to take afternoons off here and there without taking PTO. I also take full advantage of the 40 hours of volunteer paid time off working with veterans.
Pros
flexible time, supportive supervisor and manager
easy going and quality work environment
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 1, 2016
Excel strives to keep their employees engaged, and provides a excellent compensation. The work is challenging and the company works in teams in the call centers to build the quality of working hard and enjoyable environment.
Pros
work environment
Cons
suck at desk
A Lot to Learn-Be prepared!!!!
Contact Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 29, 2016
A typical day, you come in and log in to your phone since that is what is used as your time clock. As soon as you log in to your phone you log in to your computer and get all the screens set up for when you will take your first customer call. emails, schedule(to see when to take breaks, lunch or any thing else you may have been scheduled for during the day) next, bring up the two company software that are used for accessing the customers account or creating a new account, bring up the post it note screen to make notes on when speaking with customers, bring up the companies vast informational for using to answer customers questions-known as CCQR, provides updates to the various state guidelines that are needed to followed dependent upon customers situation.

As I stated there is a LOT TO LEARN
Pros
When the company has parties or employee recognition
Cons
When nine months are up, new schedule based on adherence, customers surveys will dictate what your new schedule will be
Positive environment to work for.
Customer Service Associate (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 29, 2016
I enjoyed working at Xcel Energy, it was a great place to stay busy and provide a great experience to the customer that called in .
Pros
Great team leaders who want to see you succeed.
Cons
I was part time because of school so I didn't get all the great benefits the company offers.
productive and fun place to work at
Customer Control Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 23, 2016
Fun place to work at and co-workers are friendly. Flexible work hours. Paid training. Opportunity to work on special project.
N/a
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 21, 2016
I was merely a contractor that was brought in at an inopportune time. People were being laid off while I was just starting, and it created a very low morale.
Great people at working levels (Manager and below). Worse leadership team (Director and above) I've ever worked under.
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  ColoradoJune 13, 2016
Many Departments, some are good, some are a terrible place to work. In particular, the High Pressure Gas Department has very poor leadership. Culture is driven by fear for your job and people are always second guessed on the decisions they make, by leaders who have never made those decisions themselves. Despite that, there are incredible crews who know how to operate and maintain the system as professionals, while management simply adds more work that adds zero benefits. I believe this is a result of "Kingdom Building" and hiring too many top level management positions. As a result, they need to create busy work to justify their jobs.
Pros
Incredible crews and people from Manager down (a few exceptions)
Cons
Poor leadership, not a mutual respect environment, Fear based leadership
Nuclear Engineering Department Review
Engineer (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNJune 10, 2016
Xcel Energy Nuclear is a good place to work for those interested in a military style of work. There are some projects which require long hours of work, but often engineers have the ability to work 40-50 hours a week. The management team is very young and struggles to fit the needs of their engineers vs. the needs of the company. There are also certain mid management positions which do not stay filled. The hardest part of my job is trying to understand what tasks are priorities and trying to meet schedules in the framework of the nuclear system. The most enjoyable part of the job is the relatively flexible hours.
Pros
Flexible hours. Decent compensation for individual contributors
Cons
Poor management style. Misunderstanding as to what engineering work takes.
Decent pay if you can handle the environment
CSR II (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TX 79109May 13, 2016
First I will say, I have an amazing supervisor, that is a perfect example of what other leaders should be.She is the reason, why I have stayed as long as I have. Unfortunately, the other leads overshadow this and make working there a not so great experience. The company works backwards in achieving goals. The call center goal is good customer service and reduce call backs. However, we receive a large amount of call backs due to new hires and high turn over ratio. If you stay on a call too long to fix the issue, your numbers are negatively affected, if you have to place an outbound call to resolve the issue, your numbers are negatively affected, if you have to place the customer on hold to get help or call a specialist your numbers are negatively affected. Things outside of your control negatively affect your pay, your schedule and your ability to move up.If you had to go to the doctor because your child is sick, you are not excused. If you are hospitalized due to an emergency outside of your control, you are not excused. During training a girl needed emergency surgery and was hospitalized for three days, those were her only absences, she was fired. I wish I could say I am exaggerating, but I am not. You can get away with somethings depending on wether or not you are liked by your supervisor. The place is very unprofessional, there is alot of favoritism and injustice to agents who have given years of hard work to this company. There are not many longtime agents anymore as most have quit, due to the environment created when SPS was bought by Xcel Energy. The communication between  more... departments is horrible, if a customer calls upset as to why Xcel Energy is digging in their yard, good luck finding out why! They get letters in the mail by our brilliant marketing team that do not coincide with customer usage and they call you upset asking why, you have to kindly and professionally explain what you do not know since you have no idea why it was sent, since the customer does not have high usage.If a customer hasnt been reconnected for three plus days due to another agent error or dispatch didnt get the ticket, good luck explaining that! And there isnt a rush to reconnect even if its our error. Most weekend supervisors are of no help, you ask for help and they just direct you to either call someone else or refer to "CCQR" which is a reference tool that is getting better but still difficult to navigate. Also, I find their 10 weeks/year required on call shifts a bit unethical. You are required to be on call 10 weeks out of the year that they choose, so if there are not enough employees staffed you will be called and must be there within an hour or will be counted late. The on calls are unpaid and even if you just worked a long shift, the WILL still call you in. Why should my time be unpaid? I have to arrange my life around my job unpaid for 24 hours a day seven days a week 10 weeks out of the year. If this is a requirement and I am on standby, why is this unpaid? With all of this said, it is clear the main directer and other leads at that call center couldnt care less about employee needs. They expects certain results without adequate resources, or appreciation of work and time invested, employees are treated as numbers and robots rather than people. The insurance is also terrible, you pay 2750/person FIRST before the insurance pays anything. The good things about it, is better pay than the average call center and decent 401k, but Xcel Energy can do better than that and so can their employees.  less
Pros
Starts at a higher rate than most call centers
Cons
Micro-management to the max/2750-person ded health insurance/terrible management
Fast paced and productive
Contract consultant (administration) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 5, 2016
Assisted with supporting VP of Business Systems and entered and routed A/P invoices ensuring proper approval. Identified discrepancies and verified corrections. Reconciled expense reports, managed calendars, and maintained office equipment / supplies.
A challenging position for a very good company
Data Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2016
I gained new experience among intelligent and pleasant co-workers. Management was very focused. All in all a good company to work for.
Great company
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2016
This is a great company with very dedicated employees who are working hard to transform the energy industry. I would recommend it to others.
not a community company
Utility A worker, Crew foreman (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COApril 15, 2016
company only really cared about itself and its cost. did not care about its public impact. pay was very good and benefits as well. company did not stand behind employees.
Nice place
SAP Security GRC Sr. Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 15, 2016
Good to work here. They have two offices,
Minneapolis, MN & Denver, CO
The Denver one is better.
IT build up is going on.
Multi vendor concept
ok
Call Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 13, 2016
The work was consistent. I enjoyed helping the customers. The time went by quickly. I enjoyed my co-workers, they were always ready to lend a hand with question or assistance.
very productive and educational
Payment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 12, 2016
I did enjoy my time at Xcel Energy. The people were very informative and caring. I learned a lot about the culture there! Management was very helpful in all phases of my development.