Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Engineer 1
Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 14, 2017
Xcel is a good company that is creates its power in various forms. So depending in which sector you work in there are a different set of rules for different groups. Overall it promotes safety and cares about the employee.
Under valued is an understatement!
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 14, 2017
This place is unbelievable. I have worked my tail off, gone well above and beyond for them, and have received nothing for it except condescending remarks from my boss, who thinks as long as he chuckles about it, they aren't insults.
Customer Service Representative
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 14, 2017
When I worked at Xcel I did the following tasks:

~ Answer calls in a polite, courteous and helpful manner.
~ Analyzed accounts with customers and explained certain charges
to them which they had questions about.
~ Took phone payments from customers to keep their electric bill
current.
~ Worked out payment plans with customers who are having financial
difficulty paying their bills.
~ Promoted various products and services.
~ Assisted customers with starting or stopping services at a particular
property.
~ Gave customers quotes about how much an average monthly or
yearly bill was at various properties.
~ Helped create letters to clients through word documents.
~ Helped to organize meetings with specialists regarding specific
questions about their bill or products.
~ Submitted expense reports to clients regarding their bill and/or products purchased.
~ Recorded meter readings at various properties.
Pros
A few nice co-workers.
Cons
Short breaks, no paid holidays, mandatory on call three times per year and your schedule would change monthly.
Productive work place
Data Analyst II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 13, 2017
great company to work for. Friendly and helpful management.
good professional work ethic. great work life balance. positive atmosphere. good pay and benefits
hard working place
intern (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 10, 2017
I worked in a cubicle, dealt mostly with a computer. I was just a high school intern, didn't see much work. I got to go on lots of information field trips and learned alot about where we get energy and things like that.
Great place to work and have life work balance
Legal Secretary II (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 10, 2017
I enjoy all of the opportunities given to employees for career growth and giving back to the communities we serve. Exposure to learning about the energy industry is robust.
Great place to work, if you're head count
Rebate Specialist (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 5, 2017
Great place to work if you become a head count employee. The issue, like with most large companies today, you have long term contract employees that "temp to hire" but really not. Your contract is renewed every year, but definitely no yearly review to discuss performance or a cost of living raise.
Great place to work with great people
PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENT COORDINATOR (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNAugust 3, 2017
Great people to work with and lots of opportunity to learn new things. Opportunities for advancement. There is always something new everyday to learn.
Pros
Great people
Bad Direction
Manager (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 18, 2017
The culture is changing to where it does not value existing employees. The unknown is valued more highly than the known. The company uses an antiquated job assessment test for promotional positions. Employees who don't pass it, have to wait SIX MONTHS before retaking it and applying for another promotional opportunity.
Xcel Energy
Sr Accountant Analyst - Retail Accounting (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJuly 12, 2017
.Great place to work, team co-worker support. Pension offered. On the job training. Great workplace culture, able to build friendship easily with coworkers and management.
Pros
Great Schedule
Cons
No company holiday parties
Comfortable chalenging
Sr. Network Engineer (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 29, 2017
Nice place to work, Very competitive work environment.
We can work on the site and also off site if required. As I working as contract employee I don't have any company benefits.
Call Center
Temp Full-Time Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Eau Claire, WIJune 27, 2017
This was my first call center job. The company devotes an intense amount of energy in training new employees. You train full time for 6 weeks to see if you will qualify for the expected company standard. I learned a lot but I worked weird hours. You are expected to take call after call and there isn't a social aspect to this job due to this.
Pros
Fast pace, good training
Cons
no work culture, weird hours
You get what you pay for....
Contractor (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 21, 2017
Xcel has it good points, which one is the pay. They paid more than the average pay in Amarillo.

Unfortunately, it has it's undesirable points. It is very political to say in the least. They reward people for "good job done" and they didn't deserve it. They don't have the education, personality and it is a very difficult situation at times to work there.
Excellent Place to Work
Senior Technical Instructor (Current Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2017
Job goals are clear and reviewed routinely to ensure you are progressing toward them. Management are concerned with the welfare and morale of the employees. The quality of the work is very high.
Xcel is very stable
Plant Engineer (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 20, 2017
Working at Xcel energy is a very stable job and has the added benefit of knowing you are providing a service to the community. They are also fairly laid back in the approach but still demand accuracy and quality.
Good Company, controversial leadership
Electrical Design Engineer (Current Employee) –  Welch, MNJune 19, 2017
The company has a lot to offer, but there is a high turnover of upper management. There has been issues with priorities that has been slowly improving.
Call Center not for everone
Associate I (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 16, 2017
Enjoyed working there, but at times customers wpuld be very rude towards agents. It isn't recommended for everyone. I would recommend it to anyone that's ok with working mandatory overtime
Not a bad place to work
Regional Project Controls Specialist (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJune 9, 2017
Not a bad place to work. I have learned a lot about the utility industry and what it truly takes to keep the lights on - I no longer complain about my utility bill.
Left to my own
Intern (Former Employee) –  Fort saint Vrain, COMay 30, 2017
Spent time looking for projects to do as a intern, other engineers didn't have time to teach about systems or how to start projects. I was barely able to scratch the surface of gas turbine generators. My timing might have been bad, but felt like a poor experience as an intern.
Pros
Interesting subjects, technicians were helpful, lots to learn
Cons
Management could care less
Great place to work. Very safe culture.
Painter (Former Employee) –  MNGPMay 30, 2017
I really enjoyed working for xcel energy the people are very skilled, and helpful. The attention to safety is uncompromising to other places I have worked.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Xcel Energy. Our community is ready to answer.