Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Employer Reviews

Call Center Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Amarillo, TexasNovember 21, 2013
Pros: starting pay over minimum wage
Cons: upset customers giving you a bad review.
My pay started at 10.50 per hour and no benefits until you get promoted. Recent changes they are now offer pay at 10.55 per hour plus benefits for beginners starting Jan 2014. I got promoted within about 6 months there to 11.10 per hour plus I was working odd hours so I also got shift differential pay. This is a beginners job so get paid 10.55 per hour – more... is great. Above minimum wage. This is a call center so normal days can consist of upset customers and lots of phone calls. I don't have anything bad to say about management. – less
Not Imaginable
Analyst (Former Employee), Denver CONovember 20, 2013
Pros: way over worked
Cons: no managerial support, backstabbing, collusion, abuse
If you are a contractor and you work here, run. Run fast, run far. Do not look back. You career can easily be ruined by the lack of management and zero ethics of your coworkers, some of whom have no business being employed by anyone ever.
Xcel
HR Manager (Former Employee), Denver, CONovember 13, 2013
I was afforded a lot of opportunities during my 5 years at Xcel. Following a company merger, my position was ultimately moved to MN. At that time in career, I was a single parent of 3 small children, so I made a decision in the best interest f my family and did not relocate.
Performance Testing and Analysis
Performance Testing and Analysis Intern (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXOctober 19, 2013
I help conduct tests for the regional power plants. I also do data analysis and reduction to evaluate equipment or plant performance and efficiencies. The types of power plants in the region are coal fired and simple cycle combustion turbine generating units.
Can be fun at times
Electrician Specialist (Current Employee), Keenesburg, COSeptember 24, 2013
Pros: close to home
Cons: union
I have learned a lot. I will say with union and non union employees altogether in one place there can be a lot of tension. I think the tension from the union good ole boys is the hardest part of the job. Some guys are so old they just don't know that there are newer ways to test and find problems. Mixing these people with computers was also a bad idea. – more... The fun part is all of the people that came here after calpine. This place got really boring with the skeleton crue Calpine ran. The management is good and bad. Most of the time they don't know much about what you do as a worker. Most of the time I'm thinking they don't know what they are supposed to do as well. This causes the sineless management technique to dominate and with this the bullies come out and give others trouble. – less
Customer Serice
Customer Care Representative (Former Employee), Roseville MNSeptember 19, 2013
A typical workday consisted of receiving calls from customer that where having issues and trying to resolve them in a timely manner.
Love this company
Budget Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, COSeptember 4, 2013
Pros: great community involvement, opportunities, benefits, human capital is a priority
Cons: can't think of any
Knew what your job duties were, how you affected the team, lots of company communication, great downtown office location in downtown Denver, so much growth potential limited only by oneself
Good pay and benefits and job security
Lead Credit/ Customer Service Trainer (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNAugust 27, 2013
The credit call center was a challenging place to work. You had to have extrememly good diplomatic skills, be a good listener, know the Public Utility Commission guidelines and be tough while remaining fair and empathetic. The job had a huge turnover because it was not for everyone. I was very good at it and found the job rewarding myself.
hot work place
Maintenance (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXAugust 26, 2013
Pros: workout room, free lunch
Cons: hot work place no a/c
Ordered and stocked material for the plant,management could of been better,the most enjoyable part is you can workout in the workout room anytime you wanted to.The hardest part of the job is the upper floors had no A/C and it got really hot during the summer.
Great Company
Product Analyst (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 26, 2013
Xcel is a great company, but there is a lack of advancement opportunities for the Product Analyst.
Productive and fun place. Taking the time to train.
GIS Technician (1) (Former Employee), Denver, COAugust 26, 2013
Pros: enjoy sometimes donuts treats, potlucks
Cons: small break rooms, no place to chill out, no real privacy, short term contract job
Logging on to the computer, check e-mail from supervisor for work assignment. The cubicles are close together and a bit claustrophobic.
Meet all kinds of people some friendly some not. Somewhat fast paced,high security environment. Casual attire.
Good place to work and the people were wonderful.
Entegee - Agreement Writer/Buyer (Former Employee), Henderson ColoradoAugust 22, 2013
Pros: people
Cons: direct positions were not available
. Co-workers were professional and very easy to work with.
. Training was very good.
. Management was attentive.
. The most enjoyable part of the job was the challenge of completing an entire contract without assistance or direction. Very little micro management.
Busy atmosphere
Legal Secretary, III (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 15, 2013
Pros: tuition reimbursement; great pto
Cons: too many meetings
Overall a good company to work for. Typical days are busy, but not stressful. I have learned to be patient with people while working in teams. The hardest part of the job is really the amount of meetings required, and most of the time just seem like time wasters, they can last up to two hours and generally the first 10 minutes are the most informative. – more... A lot of time meetings just turn into gripe sessions. – less
Xcel
Analyst (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 15, 2013
Great company. Great people. Some management issues that need to be delt with on a higher level. Managers are held accountable for their own work as opposed to how they manage their groups.
SPS is A mess! If you are a Journeyman Lineman DO NOT HIRE ON with Xcel in New Mexico!
Service Foreman (Former Employee), Carlsbad, New MexicoAugust 14, 2013
Pros: company credit cards, hand tool replacement and issuance, mild winters
Cons: corruption, good ole boy cronyism, inadequate safety program and training, poor system reliability, inadequate trouble shooting equipment etc....
Southwestern Public Service is very distinct from the two other utilities that make up Xcel (NSP and PSCO). It is at least twenty years behind most other large IOU's in wages, benefits, work methods, and system design. The difference in the Journeyman Lineman wage between PSCO in Colorado and SPS in New Mexico is over six dollars an hour. The medical – more... insurance for SPS is actually more of a catastrophe insurance with an extremely high deductible. Vacation accumulation is extremely slow. It takes years to get a decent amount of time off at SPS.
The safety program is ran by the employees but in the in the last year Pole Top Rescue, First Aid, and Fire Extinguishers were the only training classes until a Lineman was electrocuted. After the accident SPS started having actual training. There were no AED's and no Life Flight available when the electrical contact was made. ( we had asked about both before the incident and were told "we're working on it"). Grounds and Hotsticks were not tested until the newer employees bought it up several times.
Management is pleasant enough but very untrustworthy. Do not believe their family atmosphere rhetoric! If you are a Serviceman for this outfit you will not see your family because you will be out working on their ill designed and poorly maintained distribution system.
We had an armed guard at our Service Center and had to have police escorts for collections at times.
The only way you will enjoy SPS is if you have been in a third world country doing line work or come from an extremely small or backwards Coop or Municipal. If you care about providing customers with reliable service.....DO NOT WORK AT SPS!
There is rarely enough help and there is an oil boom going on in SE New Mexico so the cost of living is skyrocketing.
Lineman.....STEER CLEAR of this division of Xcel! – less
Terrible management within Service Accounting area
PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL CONSULTANT (Current Employee), Denver, COAugust 3, 2013
Advancement within the company is extremely slow. To advance forward would require someone to leave the company, retire or transfer to a new department. Lately, the philosophy at Xcel seems to be to not hire within for advancement rather to hire from outside. For those managers that have low employee engagement scores and for those with a lack of management – more... experience the company fails to address those issues. – less
A great place to work.
Distribution Engineer Intern (Current Employee), Saint Paul, MNJuly 24, 2013
I assisted three distribution engineers with their daily responsibilities. I investigate device outages and submit any work for issue found. I also would perform load balancing and voltage analysis projects.

The co-workers are very friendly and willing to teach.
Dont work here
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee), Carlsbad, NMJuly 24, 2013
Cons: all
I worked for Xcel Energy in Carlsbad for a year. They put on a good show but that is all , the people that come from outside the company are always a outsider. This is the most selfish area I have seen if it don't affect me then it is OK. This is a big company and they do not care about you. I was asked by management to break safety rules, and expected – more... to do it. There is no training, or communictions, they segregate the lineman you are a second class lineman until they need you.

DO NOT WORK HERE
I HAD CUSTOMERS TELL ME TO WATCH MY BACK OUTSIDERS ARE UNWELCOME AND HE WAS WRIGHT. – less
Good pay and Beneifts
Mail Clk/Acct.Clk/Typist/Secretary/Work.Comp.Clk (Former Employee), Denver, COJuly 22, 2013
Pros: good pay and benefits
Cons: long commute to downtown
Very enjoyable place to work. Was able to grow and learn. Management worked with me to obtain my goals of moving from the Mail Room where I learned about the company and the different departments. From there, I was able to move up to a typist position and learn the accounting fields. Promoted from accounting to Safety & Security Department and learned – more... about this facet of the company. Was able to use my skills in typing, dictation and organization as Secretary to the Manager. Really enjoyed moving within this department to learn the Workmen's Compensation process of claims. Keeping all reports up-to-date and the payment of the employees who had been hurt on the job. Co-workers were very helpful and willing to teach me all aspects of the job and we worked as a team. Hardest part of the job in all was hearing the stories of the employees who had been hurt on the job. Most enjoyable part of the job was working as a team and feeling like I may have made a small difference in helping employees obtain the compensation for their injuries. Terminated employment here 1 month prior to having my first child. – less
This Company is a Poor Excuse for a Multi-Billion Dollar Company
Temporary Contact Associate (Former Employee), Roseville, MNJuly 18, 2013
Pros: nothing at all
Cons: strict schedule, on call, management, rude customers, low pay, no benefits
I wasn't there very long and neither were 75% of the people from my training class. Let's just say there is so much wrong with this company I don't even know where to start. First off, the pay is just sad. They started us at $10.05 and they recently raised it to $10.50. Still doesn't help in the long run considering how high gas prices and everything – more... is nowadays. When asked why they're paying us so low, they tell us it's been that rate for the last ten years. So it doesn't matter if you have tons of experience or no experience, $10.50 is what you can expect.

Our title - "Temporary" Contact Associates. We're not even good enough to be consider full employees. As temps, that means no benefits, measly pay of $10.50 stuck at 28 hours a week. When asked why they categorized us as temps if we're not working through a staffing agency, their reply was "it's basically cheaper for them to not go through a temp". C'mon, really? They try to sugar coat it but the message is clear, they don't care about the employees, only hire us for the busy season (April -Oct) when cold weather rule is not in effect. They try and use Obama's rule of benefits to limit us to 28 hours a week. Why not just hire everyone full time with benefits, then they won't have such a high turnover rate. But no, they're too good to hire anyone as full time in a contact center.

My first month on the floor, I had to seek out my lead and asked how I was doing compared to my peers and what I can do to advance quicker. I got vague answers and some charts and #'s without a clear explanation. Their scheduling policy sucked. They changed it every month but they don't give you the hours you want, they ask what your preference is to make it seem like your opinion matters but it doesn't. If you spend too much time in after call finishing up notes, it counts against you. If you call a specialist for help it counts again you because it's consider "unproductive".

Then I find out that all the hard work I was doing like being on time, finishing up my notes quickly so I don't stay in after call, getting good scores on my quality reviews--- none of that even amounts to half the score of what I need to advance. No, the way to advance is to do all that, and more and to have good customer reviews. This company was expecting too much for too little a pay, and all that work to get benefits? Seriously? I was out of there soo fast after I learned that. I come from a good customer service background, I have great call center experience, etc...I know my worth. I landed another job within a week after I left.

Then I get a rude letter saying I abandoned my job when I had sent an email to their HR stating I found a new opportunity and effective immediately will not be returning to work. Funny thing was my manager had my name spelled wrong too, goes to show how much they care about their employees. – less

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity – Read more

Xcel Energy Photos