Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Employer Reviews

A wonderful employeer
Senior Distribution System Operator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2014
Great place to work, great pay and benefits. Lots of support from management.
Walking up those step to get to work area carring all my tool.
JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee), Amarillo TxJune 4, 2014
Pros: winning at card during lunch.
Cons: somone cheated at card during the game.
1Good very much routine.
2Plus minus cable pulls.
3Good, always got my full pay check.
4Great people to work with.
5Having the right cable sizes in stock.
6Having lunch with co workers.
Nice place, my lead manager in marketing was challenging and has since left
Senior Communications Consultant (Former Employee), DenverJune 3, 2014
Pros: great building and location
Very political but they seem to care about employees. They prefer to have contractors than employees- that is their business model.
Eight state public utility
Call Routing Analyst (Current Employee), Roseville, MNMay 29, 2014
Pros: stable company/industry
Cons: puc regulated
Most days, I trouble shoot issues with the PBX and IVR. I am the primary vector writer for the call center. I create call flows and process maps for various departments and systems. I run outbound calling campaigns for planned and unplanned outages, vegetation management as well as other electric and gas emergency and non-emergency situations. I also – more... help maintain service levels through skill changes, IVR enhancements and upfront messaging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is designing and writing the vectors to route the calls to the appropriate areas. – less
Educational and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 19, 2014
Pros: i learn how to cut cost on my utility bills.
Cons: no discount on utility bills.
A typical day at Xcel Energy was vary fast pace on average I handle up to 300 or more calls a day. I learned while working at Xcel Energy how to manage my utility bills and set up my own payment arrangements. Managers were available to help you solve a problem to ensure that all customer were satisfied. During my time, co-workers were available if there – more... was no supervisor around to assist. The hardest part of the job is when there is a gas leak because you're a little scared for the customer but you have to remain calm and help the customer to the best of your ability. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving help to customers in need. – less
Just a number
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Roseville, MNMay 12, 2014
Not much for motivation or wanting employees to feel good about what they do.
Great, and fun
Data Entry Clerk II (Former Employee), Henderson, COMay 12, 2014
I just need a permanent position. This was also a temp position.
Not happy
Residential Customer Service Call Center (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXApril 8, 2014
Very high turnover for a reason. Management very closed. Coworkers are great.
Payroll
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMarch 31, 2014
Pros: good company to work
Time Entry / Payroll
Credit Card Reconciliation

I learned new Software Programs

I enjoyed working with Co-Workers

Good Place to work
Busy workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMarch 25, 2014
I learned organizational skills, leadership, time management skills.
Great company. Old plant, continually breaking down.
Plant Specialist 'A (Former Employee), Palisade, COMarch 20, 2014
12hr shifts.
7 nights, 7 off, 7 days, 7 off. Very enjoyable.

I left when they were closing the plant.
Xcel is a good job but not enough pay
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Henderson, COMarch 13, 2014
Xcel Energy (Contract) October 2013 – Present

• Entering invoices in the Maximo system (checking PO’s, invoice dates, remits and invoice totals)
• Verify Invoices (checking invoice dates, invoice numbers, remits and totals) for Accounts Payable in Passport
• Balance Statement – called vendors to receive outstanding invoices
Great people, Job scopes are too broad.
Manager (Former Employee), VariousFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: benefits, job stability, people
Cons: chaotic work environment, dealing with union contract and union employee attitudes
Supervisor and Manger positions are overworked with too many "priorities" and not enough support. Individual goals tend to be too numerous, ambiguous, and designed for cost/reward reduction vs. individual performance/efforts being rewarded. Organization is too horizontally aligned. Union contract is too complex and full of ambiguous language. Lack of – more... consistent discipline approaches by Workforce Relations embolden Union employees to be disrespectful, undisciplined, and difficult to manage.

Management is focused on safety, which is excellent. Upper level management tends to focus on initiatives that waste human resources and time with confusion as to what a process indicator vs. results indicators are appropriate. Too many layers/departments of approval for projects or initiatives. Processes bogged down with analysis paralysis, and managers have too many entities to report to.

Co-workers in the management/supervisory team are amongst the most dedicated and best you'll ever find.

Hardest part of this job is balancing work life and personal life. Time off is often spent reading emails and fielding calls. Time off equates to allowing work to pile up, taking days or weeks to recover.

Most enjoyable part of the job is being around some really great people. – less
Loved friends that worked there, still friends with them.
Credit representative (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: alot of different people worked there.
Cons: free lunches were very unheathy, would never eat
Large company a lot of different people that work there young, old, enjoyed being friends with so many people. Hard to get company to repair anything was the worst thing.
Big Company
Customer Service (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: big company. i was only a number
When working for Xcel Energy I created Several Outlook Forms to facilitate certain interdepartmental actions. Even though Xcel Energy had procedures in place to handle these actions there was no set documentation. At the time I created these forms I was a Credit agent and this had nothing to do with my job. I did however have the expertise they needed. – more... As far as I know the form(s) is (are) still in use.
I inserted a screenshot of the "Disputed Transfers" form at the bottom of this document.
The form presented a logical approach to acquiring the needed information.
The information acquired was then emailed to the personal responsible for the actual dispute
When I created the fields within the form they were designed to be stored in SQL
This one form replaced a half dozen separate short pieces of paper which traveled back and forth via interdepartmental mail from Amarillo to Colorado, Kansas and New Mexico, taking several days to communicate what was needed. The Outlook form now could be delivered to the correct personal immediately – less
Good Copany
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 19, 2014
Good Company. Lots of Opportunities. Long hours some times and very technical.
A good place to work.
Recruitment Coordinator-Contract (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MnFebruary 12, 2014
I thought Xcel Energy was a great place to work and supported a very professional, yet fun work environment.
fun and busy
cashier (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNDecember 30, 2013
I liked this job a lot, I remained busy at all times. But since the job was for concerts, hockey season, and lacrosse the scheduling was not consistant
Not recommended
Supervisor (Current Employee), TXDecember 26, 2013
Pros: friendly employees
Cons: management treatment of employees
The employees are great to work with but management is very uncaring. The hardest part of the job is working with management. They have a tendency to change the rules to suit the situation, and the rules don't apply to everyone. They are quick to remind you that you are an "At Will Employee". The most enjoyable is working with the employees.
Call Center Low
Customer service and billing rep (Former Employee), Amarillo TxDecember 7, 2013
Pros: good company out side of the call center
Cons: hard to advance; your just a number
Xcel energy is a great company to work for as long as your not in the call center. I dealt with daily verbal abuse, which was my job how ever it was very hard to be motivated when the company did not allow any down time and promised benefits after 3 months during the hiring process, and then told us we would have to pass their test. Scheduling was done – more... way in advance so it was hard to get a day off and expectations to take on other work load was ridiculous. The Pay was ok but should have been better for the work being done – less

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity – Read more

Xcel Energy Photos