Xcel Energy Employee Reviews in United States

easy going and quality work environment
Customer Care (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXJuly 1, 2016
Excel strives to keep their employees engaged, and provides a excellent compensation. The work is challenging and the company works in teams in the call centers to build the quality of working hard and enjoyable environment.
Pros
work environment
Cons
suck at desk
Fast paced and productive
Contract consultant (administration) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 5, 2016
Assisted with supporting VP of Business Systems and entered and routed A/P invoices ensuring proper approval. Identified discrepancies and verified corrections. Reconciled expense reports, managed calendars, and maintained office equipment / supplies.
Great work environment and people
Compliance Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMarch 5, 2016
Great work environment and people. There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between upper management and employee issues. Overall, a pretty great place to work!
Great project team to work with
Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 7, 2016
Great client to work with - smooth transition from XP to Windows 7
Each week we would review software installation instructions, test end product ourselves or with client. Weekly meetings.
Very diverse company
Project Coordinator III/Project Manager Jr. (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 6, 2016
Fabulous place to work. Nice environment. Company keeps employees engaged and active in all aspects of the business.
Very diverse company. Everyone is treated fairly.
Pros
Self empowerment
Cons
Parking downtown Minneapolis
A bit annoying
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 5, 2014
Management remains fairly tight-lipped about what the future holds, and that is when you can actually pin management down and ask them things. The reviewal process is very hit and miss, with a team of managers in a room with lists of all employees and their respective scores on the board with everybody free-for-all arguing about whether that rating matches the person or not.

They treat their employees with little respect and tend to pick favorites. For those people that spend the time doing their job vs joking around to gain favor, we tend to suffer a little.

That being said, they do pay pretty well and give nice benefits.
Good company that relies heavily on contractors.
Contract Dell Desk Side Support PC Technician (Current Employee) –  Denver, COFebruary 1, 2016
Regular employees are treated well. I have enjoyed working as a computer support technician. It has been challenging. I have learned a lot in a relatively short time (4 years). Getting to meet customers is the be4st part of the job as I enjoy pleasing people.
Pros
Variety in work environment.
Cons
Repetitive duties in confined space.
productive and fun place to work at
Customer Control Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNJune 23, 2016
Fun place to work at and co-workers are friendly. Flexible work hours. Paid training. Opportunity to work on special project.
too many bulls
trainer (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TXMarch 9, 2016
too many bullish people at xcel. they don't care who they walk over and if you have some personal issues they push you aound and just say tough it out. I should have turned many of them into HR but I did not want to be a tattle tail. but they sure treated me that way.
N/a
Communications Consultant (Former Employee) –  Denver, COJune 21, 2016
I was merely a contractor that was brought in at an inopportune time. People were being laid off while I was just starting, and it created a very low morale.
Company with good intentions
contract administrator (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNDecember 30, 2015
Company has a very good mission and vision and the C-suite has its heart in the right place. However, much of the workforce are long term employees with a sleepy utility mind-set, which is not necessarily a bad thing. They are great people and excellent at the day to day operational / transactional activities that keep our lights on but transformation to a future of carbon free energy continues to be difficult.
A challenging position for a very good company
Data Analyst (Contractor) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNMay 2, 2016
I gained new experience among intelligent and pleasant co-workers. Management was very focused. All in all a good company to work for.
very productive and educational
Payment Specialist II (Current Employee) –  Henderson, NVApril 12, 2016
I did enjoy my time at Xcel Energy. The people were very informative and caring. I learned a lot about the culture there! Management was very helpful in all phases of my development.
not a community company
Utility A worker, Crew foreman (Former Employee) –  Greeley, COApril 15, 2016
company only really cared about itself and its cost. did not care about its public impact. pay was very good and benefits as well. company did not stand behind employees.
senior associate
Senior associate (Current Employee) –  Aurora, CONovember 4, 2015
I support the Denver Metro Region Leak Survey area and monitor all leaks found. I obtain a heavy full work load on a daily bases which includes, payroll for a count of 60 employees, ordering equipment for managers in other departments, running weekly reports and staying within compliance. I also help lead the gas shop inventory which means ordering and shipping meters in and out of the Denver location and keeping track and documents to stay in compliance. I submit in city and county permits for approval. Create and close out work order packets, and service renewal work order numbers and also track all work going out and coming in to meet deadlines for my director’s database.
Pros
Paid medical leave
Cons
Communication
N/a
Corporate Recruiter (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Denver, COApril 5, 2016
Working for this company has been great. I worked in Talent Acquisition. I was a corporate recruiter. I worked very well with all the hiring managers as well as my peers.
Only work here if you have no other options
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TxSeptember 29, 2015
The only thing I enjoyed about working here were my co-workers. A typical day involves you getting cursed at by customers and talked down to by management. I learned how to handle irate customers. The company has shifted its views from being a family to being a team. It really has no sympathy for your personal life. All absences are seen equal no matter the reason. If you have a heart attack at work it counts against you. They constantly remind you that you are just a number. It's hard to be happy at a place that doesn't value it's employees.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Will lower your self worth
ok
Call Center Operator (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TXApril 13, 2016
The work was consistent. I enjoyed helping the customers. The time went by quickly. I enjoyed my co-workers, they were always ready to lend a hand with question or assistance.
This is the same company as NSP
Regional GIS Representative (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 7, 2016
My experience with Xcel Energy is exactly the same as that of Northern States Power as they changed names while I was there. It is the same company.
Great company
Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNApril 17, 2016
This is a great company with very dedicated employees who are working hard to transform the energy industry. I would recommend it to others.