Xcel Energy Employee Reviews

Good place to learn and grow
Sr Emergency Preparedness Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Monticello, MNMarch 19, 2013
The location is a good place to learn and grow. I have learned so much about commercial nuclear power plant operation and teaching. It's is a good place to work.

Everyone is above average, good quality people who work hard to do the right thing. They succeed in making a good place and a safe place for themselves and the community.

The management listens and sets realistic goals. They are fair and allow for growth.

The hardest part of the job is the level of achievement. When everyone is above average, it's hard to stand out, except for not being above average.
Pros
learning, support and teamwork.
Cons
stressful
Eight state public utility
Call Routing Analyst (Current Employee) –  Roseville, MNMay 29, 2014
Most days, I trouble shoot issues with the PBX and IVR. I am the primary vector writer for the call center. I create call flows and process maps for various departments and systems. I run outbound calling campaigns for planned and unplanned outages, vegetation management as well as other electric and gas emergency and non-emergency situations. I also help maintain service levels through skill changes, IVR enhancements and upfront messaging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is designing and writing the vectors to route the calls to the appropriate areas.
Pros
stable company/industry
Cons
puc regulated
A bit annoying
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  MNDecember 5, 2014
Management remains fairly tight-lipped about what the future holds, and that is when you can actually pin management down and ask them things. The reviewal process is very hit and miss, with a team of managers in a room with lists of all employees and their respective scores on the board with everybody free-for-all arguing about whether that rating matches the person or not.

They treat their employees with little respect and tend to pick favorites. For those people that spend the time doing their job vs joking around to gain favor, we tend to suffer a little.

That being said, they do pay pretty well and give nice benefits.
Call Center Environment
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Amarillo, TexasNovember 21, 2013
My pay started at 10.50 per hour and no benefits until you get promoted. Recent changes they are now offer pay at 10.55 per hour plus benefits for beginners starting Jan 2014. I got promoted within about 6 months there to 11.10 per hour plus I was working odd hours so I also got shift differential pay. This is a beginners job so get paid 10.55 per hour is great. Above minimum wage. This is a call center so normal days can consist of upset customers and lots of phone calls. I don't have anything bad to say about management.
Pros
starting pay over minimum wage
Cons
upset customers giving you a bad review.
Not the company it used to be
Credit & Collections Specialist (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNFebruary 20, 2013
Benefits have slowly been taken away or reduced. Customer service is constantly in flux as management team is shuffled on a regular basis. Daily workload is micromanaged and can change at any time due to help needed in other departments. You may be required to be on call in case of weather emergencies without any compensation. High employee turnover in customer contact centers.
Pros
free coffee in customer contact centers.
Cons
work shifts can change monthly, making it difficult to schedule appointments in advance, highly productive employees are held back from advancement.
Only work here if you have no other options
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Amarillo, TxSeptember 29, 2015
The only thing I enjoyed about working here were my co-workers. A typical day involves you getting cursed at by customers and talked down to by management. I learned how to handle irate customers. The company has shifted its views from being a family to being a team. It really has no sympathy for your personal life. All absences are seen equal no matter the reason. If you have a heart attack at work it counts against you. They constantly remind you that you are just a number. It's hard to be happy at a place that doesn't value it's employees.
Pros
Great Co-workers
Cons
Will lower your self worth
Call Center Low
Customer service and billing rep (Former Employee) –  Amarillo TxDecember 7, 2013
Xcel energy is a great company to work for as long as your not in the call center. I dealt with daily verbal abuse, which was my job how ever it was very hard to be motivated when the company did not allow any down time and promised benefits after 3 months during the hiring process, and then told us we would have to pass their test. Scheduling was done way in advance so it was hard to get a day off and expectations to take on other work load was ridiculous. The Pay was ok but should have been better for the work being done
Pros
good company out side of the call center
Cons
hard to advance; your just a number
Really Great Place to work
Field Rep. (Temporary) (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNNovember 4, 2015
Working in the field with Xcel Clients, both commercial and residential was very demanding but also enjoyable. My day would typically consist of 20 - 40 reconnections or disconnections. In my opinion the most difficult part of my duties; was disconnecting users, who fell upon hard times and where unable to pay on delinquent accounts. On the other hand, my co-workers and department as a whole; was just outstanding. Really good working environment, and solid leadership.
Pros
Being outdoor's, working independently
Cons
That department is currently only offering seasonal/ contracted work
Great people and a secure environment
Market Research Synthesis & Insights Manager (Current Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNAugust 4, 2012
The corporate culture has really evolved over the last 10 years since Northern States Power, Public Service Company of Colorado, and Southwest Public Service formed Xcel Energy.

The corporate culture is made up of friendly, driven employees. The benefits are unmatched, and it's a secure industry. However, the industry hasn't fully embraced the benefits of work/life balance, and advancement is slow, consistent with the utility industry.
Pros
great people, benefits, and security
Cons
work/life balance, advancement opportunities
Dont work here
Journeyman Lineman (Former Employee) –  Carlsbad, NMJuly 24, 2013
I worked for Xcel Energy in Carlsbad for a year. They put on a good show but that is all , the people that come from outside the company are always a outsider. This is the most selfish area I have seen if it don't affect me then it is OK. This is a big company and they do not care about you. I was asked by management to break safety rules, and expected to do it. There is no training, or communictions, they segregate the lineman you are a second class lineman until they need you.

DO NOT WORK HERE
I HAD CUSTOMERS TELL ME TO WATCH MY BACK OUTSIDERS ARE UNWELCOME AND HE WAS WRIGHT.
Cons
all
I really enjoyed working here.
Supply Chain Specialist (Former Employee) –  Henderson, COJuly 9, 2015
I really enjoyed working here.
Some days I would learn far more that I wanted too.
On the hotline you need to know a whole lot of everything, and if you didn't know it you had to find out where to get the answers. A lot of detective work, a lot of filing and dealing with banks and credit card companies.
The hardest part of my job was when I would run into a dead end and could find the answers.
The most enjoyable part of my job were the team members I worked with.
Pros
Supervisor would always surprise us with goodies
Cons
Some people were cranky all the time.
Fun, Flexible workplace
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNJanuary 24, 2013
Doing cashier, getting the customer to buy all products at the stands, making sure all counters are clean, neat and in order for the customers. Dressing clean and making sure to have all uniforms on. This is a daily/typical day at work. I really enjoyed working at this place. The hardest part of the job; the machine doesn't work well, meaning the cash register, and the machine for ice/ice cream, cheese and other things as well. This will cause the customer to be mad and this is a money issue as well-the items doesn't sell well.
Pros
free lunches
Cons
short breaks
Challenging and rewarding place to work
Lead Ouatge Scheduler (Former Employee) –  Monticello, MNAugust 18, 2015
Very rewarding both technically and professionally as an outage scheduler for ~ 15 years. 3 years as a contractor and 12 years as an employee. I enjoyed the challenge of performing the Daily critical path analysis during the execution of each refueling outage. I took particular satisfaction in how well the logic of the baseline schedule held up despite some very poor production rates across most shops.
Pros
2 years to plan the next refuel outage
Cons
Poor engagement by the station departments
High Pressure but independent workplace
Credit Call Center Associate (Former Employee) –  Roseville, MNAugust 26, 2015
Credit and collections for a utility company is very difficult and demanding on the collectors. The need to collect the balance and the empathy needed for the customer clash on a daily basis. Advancement only seems possible for those with college degree although the posting does not require this.

This being said the employees are very supportive and "family" like. Also if you are able there is college reimbursement for certain courses.
Pros
Employees
Cons
Abusive customers
fast pace
Customer service Representative (Former Employee) –  Saint Paul, MNNovember 17, 2014
Inbound calls center for starting, stopping, transferring electric and gas services, as well as emergency dispatch for gas emergencies, power outages and fire.
I learn the ins and outs of the energy we use, education clients on conservation of energy, the importance of calling before digging and calling when a line or tree is down. I learn how to handle emergencies and sending out dispatch, working the the policy and fire department, being thorough in documenting conversations on every account.
Overall Experience
Senior Associate (Former Employee) –  Evergreen, COOctober 21, 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed working at Xcel Energy. I started as an Associate and quickly moved up to Senior Associate. Management's interest is based on the employees. The salary was extremely adequate and the opportunities to progress your career are at your finger tips. I worked closely with the Design, Gas, and Electric Departments and had several opportunities to serve on multiple committees where I was able to expand my knowledge of the company and the service provided to the community.
Terrible management within Service Accounting area
PRINCIPAL FINANCIAL CONSULTANT (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 3, 2013
Advancement within the company is extremely slow. To advance forward would require someone to leave the company, retire or transfer to a new department. Lately, the philosophy at Xcel seems to be to not hire within for advancement rather to hire from outside. For those managers that have low employee engagement scores and for those with a lack of management experience the company fails to address those issues.
Highly dependable detailed oriented individual with excellent administrative, record management/data entry and customer services skills
Customer Contact Center Associate (Current Employee) –  Eau Claire, WISeptember 3, 2014
• Strong commitment and dedication to customer service and relationship building
• Excellent organizational skills with the ability to effectively and efficiently multi-task, meet deadlines, and assume responsibility
• Proven ability to identify, evaluate, and resolve complex problems and resolve disputes
Good compensations, overworked managers
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Denver, COApril 23, 2015
Xcel is a stable company, and your career can flourish. But, it will be up to you to find the opportunities and craft your way forward. (That's not a bad thing!)

Managers are overworked and have many executives changing the priorities for the people they manage. Day-to-day work can't be planned or scheduled effectively.
Pros
Good salary, good location, good bennies
Cons
Shifting priorities, extremely slow to change (Office 2007 was just installed last year)
Busy atmosphere
Legal Secretary, III (Current Employee) –  Denver, COAugust 15, 2013
Overall a good company to work for. Typical days are busy, but not stressful. I have learned to be patient with people while working in teams. The hardest part of the job is really the amount of meetings required, and most of the time just seem like time wasters, they can last up to two hours and generally the first 10 minutes are the most informative. A lot of time meetings just turn into gripe sessions.
Pros
tuition reimbursement; great pto
Cons
too many meetings