Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy Employer Reviews

Great Internship
Intern (Former Employee), COAugust 2, 2014
Pros: paid holidays
A lot of learning. Great internship, overall. Work around school schedule. Great pay
Provides vital service to community
Call Center Representative (Former Employee), Eau Claire, WIJuly 20, 2014
Fast paced, challenging employer. A typical day will allow the employee to interface with customers, emergency response personnel and social service agents.
OVERALL GOOD PLACE
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee), Amarillo TXJuly 15, 2014
Pros: good pay
Cons: short breaks and lunch
GOOD PLACE TO WORK IF YOU HAVE PATIENCE AND LIKE TO BE INDOORS
Heavy work load. No benefits
Desktop Technician - Field Support Engineer. (Current Employee), Denver, COJune 13, 2014
Pros: flexible hours to do work. great team members.
Cons: too heavy a work load for number of technicians.
The opportunity to learn new technical skills was the norm.
Team members were the best I ever met. I could always get answers to difficult answers.
Hardest part of job was just showing up and handling the work load. Management did not care how many work tickets we had, we just had to handle it.
A wonderful employeer
Senior Distribution System Operator (Current Employee), Minneapolis, MNJune 11, 2014
Great place to work, great pay and benefits. Lots of support from management.
Walking up those step to get to work area carring all my tool.
JOURNEYMAN ELECTRICIAN (Former Employee), Amarillo TxJune 4, 2014
Pros: winning at card during lunch.
Cons: somone cheated at card during the game.
1Good very much routine.
2Plus minus cable pulls.
3Good, always got my full pay check.
4Great people to work with.
5Having the right cable sizes in stock.
6Having lunch with co workers.
Nice place, my lead manager in marketing was challenging and has since left
Senior Communications Consultant (Former Employee), DenverJune 3, 2014
Pros: great building and location
Very political but they seem to care about employees. They prefer to have contractors than employees- that is their business model.
Eight state public utility
Call Routing Analyst (Current Employee), Roseville, MNMay 29, 2014
Pros: stable company/industry
Cons: puc regulated
Most days, I trouble shoot issues with the PBX and IVR. I am the primary vector writer for the call center. I create call flows and process maps for various departments and systems. I run outbound calling campaigns for planned and unplanned outages, vegetation management as well as other electric and gas emergency and non-emergency situations. I also – more... help maintain service levels through skill changes, IVR enhancements and upfront messaging.

The most enjoyable part of the job is designing and writing the vectors to route the calls to the appropriate areas. – less
Educational and fun
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Saint Paul, MNMay 19, 2014
Pros: i learn how to cut cost on my utility bills.
Cons: no discount on utility bills.
A typical day at Xcel Energy was vary fast pace on average I handle up to 300 or more calls a day. I learned while working at Xcel Energy how to manage my utility bills and set up my own payment arrangements. Managers were available to help you solve a problem to ensure that all customer were satisfied. During my time, co-workers were available if there – more... was no supervisor around to assist. The hardest part of the job is when there is a gas leak because you're a little scared for the customer but you have to remain calm and help the customer to the best of your ability. The most enjoyable part of the job was giving help to customers in need. – less
Just a number
Administrative Assistant II (Current Employee), Roseville, MNMay 12, 2014
Not much for motivation or wanting employees to feel good about what they do.
Great, and fun
Data Entry Clerk II (Former Employee), Henderson, COMay 12, 2014
I just need a permanent position. This was also a temp position.
Not happy
Residential Customer Service Call Center (Current Employee), Amarillo, TXApril 8, 2014
Very high turnover for a reason. Management very closed. Coworkers are great.
Payroll
Administrative Assistant II (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMarch 31, 2014
Pros: good company to work
Time Entry / Payroll
Credit Card Reconciliation

I learned new Software Programs

I enjoyed working with Co-Workers

Good Place to work
Busy workplace
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXMarch 25, 2014
I learned organizational skills, leadership, time management skills.
Great company. Old plant, continually breaking down.
Plant Specialist 'A (Former Employee), Palisade, COMarch 20, 2014
12hr shifts.
7 nights, 7 off, 7 days, 7 off. Very enjoyable.

I left when they were closing the plant.
Xcel is a good job but not enough pay
Accounts Payable Clerk (Current Employee), Henderson, COMarch 13, 2014
Xcel Energy (Contract) October 2013 – Present

• Entering invoices in the Maximo system (checking PO’s, invoice dates, remits and invoice totals)
• Verify Invoices (checking invoice dates, invoice numbers, remits and totals) for Accounts Payable in Passport
• Balance Statement – called vendors to receive outstanding invoices
Great people, Job scopes are too broad.
Manager (Former Employee), VariousFebruary 28, 2014
Pros: benefits, job stability, people
Cons: chaotic work environment, dealing with union contract and union employee attitudes
Supervisor and Manger positions are overworked with too many "priorities" and not enough support. Individual goals tend to be too numerous, ambiguous, and designed for cost/reward reduction vs. individual performance/efforts being rewarded. Organization is too horizontally aligned. Union contract is too complex and full of ambiguous language. Lack of – more... consistent discipline approaches by Workforce Relations embolden Union employees to be disrespectful, undisciplined, and difficult to manage.

Management is focused on safety, which is excellent. Upper level management tends to focus on initiatives that waste human resources and time with confusion as to what a process indicator vs. results indicators are appropriate. Too many layers/departments of approval for projects or initiatives. Processes bogged down with analysis paralysis, and managers have too many entities to report to.

Co-workers in the management/supervisory team are amongst the most dedicated and best you'll ever find.

Hardest part of this job is balancing work life and personal life. Time off is often spent reading emails and fielding calls. Time off equates to allowing work to pile up, taking days or weeks to recover.

Most enjoyable part of the job is being around some really great people. – less
Loved friends that worked there, still friends with them.
Credit representative (Former Employee), Amarillo, TXFebruary 26, 2014
Pros: alot of different people worked there.
Cons: free lunches were very unheathy, would never eat
Large company a lot of different people that work there young, old, enjoyed being friends with so many people. Hard to get company to repair anything was the worst thing.
Big Company
Customer Service (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNFebruary 19, 2014
Pros: benefits
Cons: big company. i was only a number
When working for Xcel Energy I created Several Outlook Forms to facilitate certain interdepartmental actions. Even though Xcel Energy had procedures in place to handle these actions there was no set documentation. At the time I created these forms I was a Credit agent and this had nothing to do with my job. I did however have the expertise they needed. – more... As far as I know the form(s) is (are) still in use.
I inserted a screenshot of the "Disputed Transfers" form at the bottom of this document.
The form presented a logical approach to acquiring the needed information.
The information acquired was then emailed to the personal responsible for the actual dispute
When I created the fields within the form they were designed to be stored in SQL
This one form replaced a half dozen separate short pieces of paper which traveled back and forth via interdepartmental mail from Amarillo to Colorado, Kansas and New Mexico, taking several days to communicate what was needed. The Outlook form now could be delivered to the correct personal immediately – less
Good Copany
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Denver, COFebruary 19, 2014
Good Company. Lots of Opportunities. Long hours some times and very technical.

About Xcel Energy

Xcel Energy has accelerated its energy engine in utility markets across the US. The utility holding company distributes electricity – Read more

Xcel Energy Photos