XO Communications Employee Reviews

XO Communications
Sr. Analyst (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, MAAugust 15, 2017
XO Communications was an excellent company to work for over the past two years. The most rewarding part of my experience was my colleagues and co-workers; From the field tech’s to upper-management, everyone created an amazing working environment.
Pros
staff
Cons
leaving
Fair
Senior Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Memphis, TNAugust 13, 2017
Job duties were business to business telecommunication network sales to enterprise businesses with monthly revenue of 12k. Management was somewhat sporadic, didn't have much consistency.
Good wages for the area
Tier 3 Support Technician (Current Employee) –  Saginaw, MIAugust 10, 2017
XO paid decent money for the area (Saginaw, MI). Local corporate culture was fairly laid back, with casual dress acceptable. I've worked here for over 15 years, and aside from a few missed opportunities, have enjoyed it.
Fast paced environment, challenging, fun
Technical Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXAugust 7, 2017
Overall a good place to work. There were some good managers and a couple of bad ones. I was used to get everyone on board then wasn't allowed to learn anything new after that. The pets could participate but not me. I knew too much already. Eventually came the "lay offs"
Pros
Flex time
Cons
I had a horrible manager, who came in drunk or hungover, She had her favorites, She was jealous of my knowledge and leadership, Always talking behind my back
Great team environment
National Transport Repair Ops Manager (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJuly 31, 2017
Good company over all that has recently been acquired by Verizon, many changes to come... Great people to work with and good team environment - - It will be interesting to see what's next.
XO was ok to work at
Project/Program Manager Team Lead (Former Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAJuly 30, 2017
XO was an ok place to work for, but Verizon took them over. Had good vacation benefits. Accommodating with time off and could work from home periodically.
No training
Broadband Engineer III (Former Employee) –  Dallas, Tx.July 29, 2017
The job was interesting. But they had different equipment everywhere. No chance of knowing everything about all of them. Hours were changed a few times.
Pros
Original manager was great to work for. But he was laid off.
Cons
Second manager was inexperienced and not available very often.
Typical Corporate Telecom with decent benefits
Customer Retention Manager (Former Employee) –  Fort Lauderdale, FLJuly 28, 2017
I began working for XO Communications in Silicon Valley when they began as Nexlink Communications. I survived the mergers, acquisitions and lay offs. Through it all, I gained knowledge through my managers and directors. There was always room to grow. Good work was always recognized. The project deadlines and customer complaints were sometimes stressful, however always resolved. I enjoyed the people I worked with and the work I performed. I resigned in 2006 due to family issues. Sadly, I think Verizon purchased XO in 2016 (?)
Pros
Recognition for hard work
Cons
Only as good as your last successful project
Descent place to work
Cut Tech III (Former Employee) –  Edison, NJJuly 21, 2017
Flexible work from home and schedule. I always sensed it was a matter of time before they were acquired by a larger company. Pay rate was always below going rate.
Pros
Descent enviroment
Cons
No organization, pay below industry rate
I love this place
MS SQL Developer (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 18, 2017
Management offers competitive salaries, perks, benefits and promotions. Work culture is different and cool. Learned a lot on how to balance work pressure
Very laid back atmosphere
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Nashville, TNJuly 18, 2017
I hired on as a contractor and eventually was hired FT by XO. My manager was very understanding and helpful. There were constant changes in our job descriptions so the position became challenging at times. Overall, I enjoyed my position with XO.
Very supportive boss
Director of East coast Channel (Former Employee) –  New York, NYJuly 13, 2017
managing Partners, channel managers, support people, negotiating contracts, delegating different issues to different Depts

Dealing with Lawyers from both sides

Excellent

Fast paced

Lawyers not sense of urgency

Working for by boss and mentoring my employees
Pros
Freedom, not a lot of reports
Cons
change of direction in role
Grteat place!
Commissions Manager (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TXJuly 13, 2017
I enjoyed my time working for Allegiance Telecom, now a part of XO. I made some life long friends there. There were always new challenges and everyone was ready to meet them head on.
Productive, Energetic and Unforgettable
Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Minneapolis, MNJuly 9, 2017
Best company and greatest opportunities available at that time.

Loved the high energy from the entire staff of managers, sales reps, engineers and technicians.

Salary advancement was excellent.
Stressful environment to meet your numbers
Senior Sales Engineer (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILJuly 7, 2017
I have a very strong work ethic and value my external/internal customers. I don't feel management respect these values, to meet their quotas. Although, there were some people that shared the same values and I still keep in touch.
Benefits
Cons
Managment
Okay
Adv Provisioner-Provisioning, Product Development (Current Employee) –  Wyomissing, PAJuly 5, 2017
Good place Nice people to work with Easy to get along with Management was okay Low morale at times Many lay offs through out the years Good pay Benefits not so much
Pros
good pay
Cons
lay offs
Great benefits and not a bad work culture - before bought by Verizon
Billing Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJune 29, 2017
XO Communications (before it was purchased by Verizon taking effect 2/1/17) was a nice place to work. XO had great benefits when referring to vacation time, work-from-home options, and good managers. Flexibility was a great perk too. Allowed for long tenure (I had been there 14 years before being laid off in August of 2017 with the rest of our building) and I enjoyed my time there. I will miss the niche I created for myself and the people that I worked for and that worked for me.
Pros
Vacation benefits, work-from-home options, good managers, flexibility
Cons
Upper management, Carl Ichan, HR representatives
Fast paced, and Fun place to work
Transport Repair Technician / Layer (Current Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJune 27, 2017
Great place to work! Fun, and energetic people. Fast Paced, Great resources, and a great place to gain useful experience. Has a wide range of tools for success.
Pros
Valuable Job Experience, Great enviroment, and people.
Cons
Job Security, acquired by Verizon
relaxed place to work
Associate transport Engineer tier 3 (Former Employee) –  Lone Tree, COJune 20, 2017
A typical day at work, is relaxing for the most part. I learned a lot about layer 2 transport equipment. (metro ethernet, EOC, fiber optic equipment) the culture of the company is easy to do business with a very supportive work environment. The hardest part of the job was learning a new piece of equipment that you never worked on before. the most enjoyable part of the job was the people I worked with and all the equipment on the network.
Pros
the work environment
New Communcations Company. Very laid back place to work
Telco Audit Analyst (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 6, 2017
Great start up company, fast paced, new to the area, but after all great starts, the company was sold to another larger communications company and some of us did not get a chance to move on.
Pros
Free lunches, great salaries, easy to work with staff
Cons
did not last long in this line of business

Ask a question about working or interviewing at XO Communications. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7