XO Communications

XO Communications United States Employee Reviews

Would be a great place to work if everyone did their part.
Client Services (Former Employee), Nashville, TNMarch 22, 2015
Pros: ice and coffee machine
Cons: parking, management
Being a dedicated, persistent, and knowledgeable worker was not enough. The amount of work going on outside of YouTube, group discussions and personal text messages was sub par.
Great job oppurtunitites
Manager/CO team lead (Former Employee), Tampa, FLMarch 21, 2015
Pros: able to work on multiple equipment
Cons: n/a
Daily operations of a central office and data center. Install and maintain transport and data networking equipment. Install and maintain customer equipment and connections.
I get a company vehicle where I am usually out in the field with little supervision.
Network Field Technician (Current Employee), Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2015
Pros: company vehicle
Cons: healthcare, job security and advancement
On a typical day I usually have 5 to 8 dispatches assigned to me for that day. I research them finding out what the work involves along with what equipment is required. The dispatches may involve a new install for a customer, the repair of service for a customer who is down, or a dispatch to work on an inside network issue. Most of my interaction with my coworkers are over the phone in the assistance with the turn-up to our network. I get along well with my manager and I am able to get any needed support when an issue may arise. The hardest part of my job is the heavy traffic in some of the areas I travel. The most enjoyable part of the job would be the fact I am out in the field meeting new people and not sitting in the office all day.
Hard Worker
Inside Channel Account Manager (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILMarch 9, 2015
My Typical day at work would be Getting contracts and pricing for Agents that sold the companies product. I learned a lot in the Telecom field with 15 years experience. My Co-Workers were great to work with and spoke with them on a daily basis. I think the hardest part of my job would have to be not getting everything out on the day that it was received, the most enjoyable part of the job would be working with the agents and sometimes customers and helping them out weekly.
No direction
Sr. Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee), St Louis MoFebruary 18, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: too many to list
Long work day, nights and days most of the time. learned a lot by being over worked, no time for life outside work that was left for sleep. Reasonable coworkers that moved on as well. Management had lots of internal sturggle for position, seemed a bit cut throat among themselves. Network operations issues are addressed by the vendor these days, and they seem to be coasting along, to sell out. Hardest part were the long hours and lack of appreciation. Good part was good people to work with on a technical level.
15 years of service in the same site, there wasn’t anything I didn’t know about this Central Office.
Tech III CO Tech (Former Employee), Austin, TXFebruary 17, 2015
My duties at this central office consisted of working orders for cross connects and new equipment installs for XO customers. Working trouble tickets as they were opened. Monitored and maintained all AC/DC (UPS Power, Generator) power equipment at the site and the HVAC system. Duties also included operating the fire suppression system and security systems.
Worst experience of my life
Regional Sales Learning Manager (Current Employee), Los AngelesFebruary 17, 2015
Pros: in down town
Cons: all they above mentioned things
Poor management
No job security
limited places to sale
bad service delivery
high turn-over
bad internal processes
no CRM
A lot of work for little pay
Central Office Technician (Former Employee), Fremont, CAFebruary 14, 2015
Cons: no sharing or supporting of information to do a job.
As a central office tech, we covered a large area. The company required you to complete a minimum of tasks on every shift, without regard for the amount of time you had to spend on a task or the distance you had to travel to do the task.
great place to work
Chief Engineer (Former Employee), Plano, TXFebruary 9, 2015
Pros: easy to get time off
Cons: on call 24/7
normally a 8 hour day, everybody gets along with one another.
every day was a new adventure. the hardest part of the job was when an ac unit would go down in the data center and having to get it back up quickly to avoid a data shut down.
Telecom Sales Manager
Account Executive (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 9, 2015
Sold telecom, Cold calling, managed sales team, went on appointments with sales reps. Interviewed new hires and trained sales reps on how to make cold calls.
Great Traning Program but Lacking in Back Office and Installation Support
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee), New York, NYFebruary 4, 2015
Pros: wall street location
Cons: bad reputation with clients
Great training program, fun work environment, co-workers are friendly and management is always there to help. However,
most clients have already had a bad experience with Client
Support and will not return.
Loved my job and my work environment
Project Program Manager III (Former Employee), nashville tnJanuary 31, 2015
I worked at XO for almost 15 years.. I learned so much and made some wonderful friends..
In a typical work day I worked my projects.
Not many days went by in that 15 years that I didn't still learn something new..
My managers were there to listen and offer support when needed.
My co-worked were helpful are more than co-workers.. they are my family.
The hardest part of my job some days was working with so many lecs on so many different projects at once..
The most enjoyable part was the atmosphere and people.
Great place to work!
Financial Analyst, Lead (Former Employee), Edison, NJJanuary 29, 2015
Pros: benefits, compensation
Cons: they filed for bankrupptcy while i was there.
While at XO Communcations, I was able to learn as well as truly help establish a budgeting and monthly variance analysis process for the Engineering team. I enjoyed my time at XO Communications. Great people.
It was a job. It could have been so much more but the vision wasn't there.
Shipping Coordinator /Inventory Control Analyst (Former Employee), Reading, PAJanuary 26, 2015
Pros: coworkers
Cons: reactive management, no appreciation, no upward mobility, no pay raises
A day at XO was a typical day on a job. You came in, did your work, and you went home. Management was non existent. There were so many things that could have been done to boost morale but wasn't. Management was more reactive instead of proactive. We barely had the right equipment to do the job if it wasn't falling apart. The only good part was my coworkers, they were awesome. We always found a way to get the job done. We all stayed until the job was done. wee always left together at the end of the day. The hardest part was the lack of equipment and lack of communication.
A great technical job, a really great company
Project Coordinator (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJanuary 20, 2015
Pros: flexibilty to work from home with a company laptop... great pay, great scedule
Cons: extemely stressful at times
I leaned so much about circuitry, and the way phones, and the internet worked. It was a wonderful place to work, and some of the best coworkers.
Poor Management
Sr. Financial Analyst (Former Employee), Herndon, VAJanuary 13, 2015
8 hours of work
I would not recommend the company
friendly place to work
Great work life balance - but that's all
Information Technology Project Manager (Former Employee), Plano, TXJanuary 9, 2015
Pros: vacation policy
Cons: all the rest
Very mediocre people there, management doesn't know where it's going and layoffs happen constantly.

Work there if you must, but pass if you already got a job.
Good place to learn and grow, but a lot of politics
Implementation Engineer (Former Employee), Plano, TXJanuary 2, 2015
XO communications has a very advanced network, and they are constantly looking for new technologies and network trends to improve their standing. The ground force employees are very savvy technically and helpful for the most part, though there is a fair amount of information hoarding in certain areas, and some departments do not want to share. There is a lot of XO pride, and people do what it takes to keep the network running strong.

As with any job, a lot is what you make of it, and XO can be a great place to learn about Telecommunications and networking. If you are capable, and you are in the right place at the right time, you can advance.

The only drawback I saw at XO, was that there was a lot of politics flowing from the top levels down, which culminated in RIF's at least every other year, as upper management pruned and placed their organizations.
Competetive pay & advancement but very high churn of sales force
Executive Director, Training & Development (Former Employee), Tampa, FLDecember 18, 2014
Pros: competitive base pay / total targeted compensation
Cons: health benfits package / high field sales personnel churn rate
Very high rate is churn of sales force which made it difficult to maintain momentum with major adjustments being made to the overall culture. Pockets of great leadership throughout the organization. However, health benefits coverage was a bit pricey year to year. I believe Chris Ancell has done extremely well since joining the organization and will continue to move the company in the right direction.
I like my immediate boss and the guys I work with, but things keep getting worse at the corporate level.
Technician (Current Employee), Northern CaliforniaDecember 9, 2014
Pros: aren't any anymore.
Cons: they don't appreciate what they have, and treat us like dirt. to a person we return good for their evil.
Our new automated dispatch system is very poorly done, is costing the company millions in lost productivity, customer dissatisfaction, and has quadrupled our windshield time, and gasoline expense, and overtime expense, in comparison to the way it used to be done. The important things that need to get done are not getting done, 80% of all dispatches are false and 80% of our time is wasted. The vice president over this project is ruthless. He is lying to corporate about how effective it is. Our corporate leaders are mostly sales and marketing people who have no idea of what the rest of the company does, and are not capable of understanding what is really going on. Moral is very low. People are weary. People are angry. It used to be a good company to work for. Now, everyone I know is looking for another job. Many have left already. There have been seven lay offs in the last ten years. I personally am still secretly doing the work that needs to get done that I used to do. I do this despite the new system. Due to layoffs, two full time people used to do the real work that I figure out on my own, that needs to be done, that I do in secret. I work really hard and fast. I don't get credit for what I am doing but it really has made a difference. They don't even know that I am doing it. I am also doing the non productive stupid things that they dispatch me to do. I don't fight it. But I have to be sneaky about the important stuff I do on the side, or they will beat me up. There are a few like me, but not very many. Most of the workers have given up and let go and don't care. They are – more... looking for "real jobs" elsewhere. They are doing the false work they are told to do and nothing else, and say "It is not my problem". Costs are going up, not down, because of this system. The constant unnecessary overtime is starting to affect some people's health and disposition. The company is trying to cut costs but is clueless about what is really going on and how much it is costing them. It is really sad. The twisted result is that they are probably going to lay more of us off to save money, and they don't even know that there already aren't enough of us if we were doing the real job. There is no enjoyable part to the job anymore, unless you like to have angry customers screaming at you all day long; The equipment that we buy and install is very reliable. Once installed it just keeps working. Our network engineers are very competent and state of the art. Our technology is pretty close to state of the art. The guys and gals I work with are fantastic people and workers. We have a lot going for us, but it is a terrible place to work. I can't recommend it. I don't see it getting better any time soon. It is probably going to get worse. – less

1 2 3 4 5

About XO Communications

XO Communications is a leading broadband communications service provider offering a complete set of communications services, including: – Read more

XO Communications Salaries