XO Communications

XO Communications Employer Reviews

I like my immediate boss and the guys I work with, but things keep getting worse at the corporate level.
Technician (Current Employee), Northern CaliforniaDecember 9, 2014
Pros: aren't any anymore.
Cons: they don't appreciate what they have, and treat us like dirt. to a person we return good for their evil.
Our new automated dispatch system is very poorly done, is costing the company millions in lost productivity, customer dissatisfaction, and has quadrupled our windshield time, and gasoline expense, and overtime expense, in comparison to the way it used to be done. The important things that need to get done are not getting done, 80% of all dispatches – more... are false and 80% of our time is wasted. The vice president over this project is ruthless. He is lying to corporate about how effective it is. Our corporate leaders are mostly sales and marketing people who have no idea of what the rest of the company does, and are not capable of understanding what is really going on. Moral is very low. People are weary. People are angry. It used to be a good company to work for. Now, everyone I know is looking for another job. Many have left already. There have been seven lay offs in the last ten years. I personally am still secretly doing the work that needs to get done that I used to do. I do this despite the new system. Due to layoffs, two full time people used to do the real work that I figure out on my own, that needs to be done, that I do in secret. I work really hard and fast. I don't get credit for what I am doing but it really has made a difference. They don't even know that I am doing it. I am also doing the non productive stupid things that they dispatch me to do. I don't fight it. But I have to be sneaky about the important stuff I do on the side, or they will beat me up. There are a few like me, but not very many. Most of the workers have given up and let go and don't care. They are looking for "real jobs" elsewhere. They are doing the false work they are told to do and nothing else, and say "It is not my problem". Costs are going up, not down, because of this system. The constant unnecessary overtime is starting to affect some people's health and disposition. The company is trying to cut costs but is clueless about what is really going on and how much it is costing them. It is really sad. The twisted result is that they are probably going to lay more of us off to save money, and they don't even know that there already aren't enough of us if we were doing the real job. There is no enjoyable part to the job anymore, unless you like to have angry customers screaming at you all day long; The equipment that we buy and install is very reliable. Once installed it just keeps working. Our network engineers are very competent and state of the art. Our technology is pretty close to state of the art. The guys and gals I work with are fantastic people and workers. We have a lot going for us, but it is a terrible place to work. I can't recommend it. I don't see it getting better any time soon. It is probably going to get worse. – less
Company was good to me.
Major Account Executive (Former Employee), Southfield, MIDecember 1, 2014
I started out with a great manager. Changed to another great manager. The company changed direction and was disappointed.
A Learning Experience
Enterprise Account Manager (Current Employee), Los Angeles, CAOctober 21, 2014
Pros: plenty of work to do to make the day go by quickly.
Cons: management
Tough Telecom Environment. It's a fairly fast paced environment. The job was a challenge and many customers has a previous bad experience with the company.Things started going downhill fast. New leadership brought in a new team. Poor local and national leaders and sales plummeting. Sales manager was not engaged with new customers.
XO
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee), Saginaw, MIOctober 15, 2014
I learned a variety of skills at XO. Skills that I still use today
Temps beware
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee), Reading, PAOctober 14, 2014
Pros: clean quiet productive
Cons: poor management to the point of unbelievable
nice work environment
Interesting work
Poor management
Worked 13 months as a temp and when given a company on board date was let go before it happened
Disappointing because I did like the job
OK
Technician (Current Employee), St. Louis, MOSeptember 25, 2014
Pros: plenty to do; makes the day go by quickly.
Cons: lack of adequate compensation or pay increases
It's a fairly fast-paced environment. Sometimes the workload can be distributed among co-workers unevenly. The work itself is interesting and can be challenging.
A great,enthusiastic and highly successsful office for 8 out of the 10 years I was there.
Office Coordinator (Former Employee), Minneapolis, MNAugust 20, 2014
Pros: i increased my salary 24% for going above and beyond in my role in the 10 years i was employed, management always foud ways to reward those employees who were doing a great job, and they never forgot about non sales employees.
Cons: the last 2 years of my employment was very sad, the sales dept was run by uneducated leaders, sales dropped, good people left, quality of sales staff also was quite sad andveral morale was horrid.
Talented staff, successful sales, good pay, benefits, lots of perks. Then about 2012 things started going downhill fast. Very shake leadership, many new faces came and went, XO did not want to spend money on upkeep of sales buildings, so along with the sales plummeting, poor local and national leaders,the appearance of our facility also began its decline. – more... My position was eliminated in Feb. 2014 due to budget costs and I welcomed the change. – less
Depneding on the location the environment is peaceful.
Technical Support Specialist (Former Employee), Lone Tree, COAugust 12, 2014
Cons: stressful environment, short lunches, no growth opportunity.
The environment in other locations is not so peaceful. It felt more like I was working in a high school environment. However, in one of the other locations it was very peaceful and the employees provided assistance and was very knowledgeable in helping me to grow and learn more of my role.

The management within one facility was not so delightful. It – more... was actually quite weird to hear the verbiage that was utilized and to see how interaction took place between employees and management.

The hardest part of the job was getting others to show you what how to do your job better verses just huffing and puffing and doing it themselves. Once I returned to my starting location I was more at peace and I received more training assistance with my role as well as other tech roles.

The most enjoyable part of my job was being able to travel to different states if I wanted to move. – less
A learning experience
Senior Account Executive (Former Employee), Atlanta GeorgiaAugust 11, 2014
Although I learned a lot at XO it wasn't the best fit for me. It was managed by intimidation and I only stayed there a year.
Love it
Strategic Client Services Consultant (Current Employee), Los Angeles. CAAugust 7, 2014
I am passionate about what i do. I love to talk with individuals
( internal/external) clients to see what drives them, what excites them and what challenges them.
And then in turn how I can assist them in reaching their short/long term goals. Along with meeting their company goals.

Everyday is a new adventure for me.
During this time, I
Tier II DATA Repair Technician (Current Employee), Saginaw, MIAugust 1, 2014
A resourceful, innovative, and versatile professional with over three years experience in electronics/IT industry. During this time, I have gained experience in testing and troubleshooting equipment, developing and executing plans, as well as resolving customer and company escalated issues efficiently and professionally.
friendly environment
TECHNICAL SALES/ORDER ENTRY COORDINATOR (Former Employee), Waltham, MAJuly 29, 2014
Pros: friendly co-workers
Cons: empty office
The office environment was almost a second place like home. The sales people and sales support was always so friendly and help each other when needed.
Productice Environment
Directory Listings Manager (Former Employee), DallasJuly 21, 2014
Opportunity for advancement and overall good working environment.
Enjoyed the job and the rewards for achieving daily and weekly quotas.
Client Services Manager (Former Employee), Nashville, TNJuly 17, 2014
Pros: time/work balance
Cons: management
The job was a challenge and many customers had a previous bad experience with the company. Management seemed to not want to make any decisions for fear of loosing their job.
Great Place to work.
Collections Representative (Former Employee), Dallas, TXJuly 16, 2014
Had to learn how to adapt to change. We all worked good together as a family.
Productive and fast paced workplace.
Customer Implementation Agent (Former Employee), Wyomissing, PaJuly 9, 2014
Goal driven environment and very family oriented. Learned a lot about the telecom industry and the goals were set high but if you put your mind to it, you could get the work done on time.
Temp job close to home
NOC engineer (Former Employee), Lonetree, COJuly 8, 2014
Pros: job with a short commute
Cons: job ended
This was a temp job and was never intended for permanent
As a NOC engineer I troubleshot long haul and local issues with various Telco providers using NetAnalyst/Centest in the following DACCs ALCATEL 1630, 1631, TELLABS 532L, 5500 and SONET networks.
Overall not a bad place to work but there is a constant changing of upper management and corporate direction
Client Services Manager (Current Employee), Southfield, MIJune 24, 2014
Pros: flexible work schedule
Cons: multiple lay-offs
Company has gone through a significant amount of change in the past 4 years and continues to change corporate direction.
great place to work
Client Services Manager (Current Employee), Atlanta, GAJune 10, 2014
strong management with good work/life balance. I learned about new products including hosted PBX. great peers. Manageable work loads
Good Experience
Major Accounts Manager (Former Employee), Oak Brook, ILJune 9, 2014
Overall it was a good experience as a Major Account Sales person.

1 2 3 4 5

About XO Communications

XO Communications is a leading broadband communications service provider offering a complete set of communications services, including: – Read more