XTRA Lease Employee Reviews

Enjoyed my time with Xtra
ASSISTANT OPERATIONS MGR (Former Employee) –  Conley, GAMarch 22, 2017
Never a dull day. Always something to do. Trailer inspections and repairs, inventory, internal sales, rental and lease contracts, insurance verification and collections.
Toxic corporate culture that doesn't value thier most important asset - PEOPLE
Assistant Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 20, 2017
If you are looking for high earning potential and with a relatively good work life balance you may initially be sold on working for Xtra Lease. On paper the job sounds appealing but as you dig in, you will quickly see many glaring red flags in their company culture.

The company is grossly micromanaged from the top down, and as a sales rep you are expected to maintain a near minute-by-minute recap of your day. So much time is focused on maintaining individual rep accountability that sales, the primary function of the position, become secondary to providing live updates of your meetings and what you're doing.

Additionally, be prepared to relocate. I was made aware of this early on but was not told that the terms of the relocation were completely and totally non-negotiable. I was offered a "promotion" to another branch in the country and was terminated after asking for a slight salary bump. Yes, you read that right - Terminated because I attempted to renegotiate the terms of my relocation across the country.

Needless to say I was utterly shocked and totally disheartened by this decision to treat a hard working employee this way.

My one recommendation is this... If you value yourself as a person, do not work for this company regardless of how good the money may seem. No amount of money is worth your dignity as a human being.
Pros
High income potential
Cons
Toxic Culture
Great Opportunity
Operations A. Manager (Current Employee) –  Memphis, TNNovember 23, 2016
My evolution as a Management Professional is reinforced on a daily basis. The skills I have acquired in this company is far greater than all the skills I have acquired in my preexisting places of employment--combined.
Pros
Company believes in potential and trains for Leadership.
no real room for growth, not employee focused
Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  CaliforniaNovember 18, 2016
Operations work non-stop, constant micro-managing. must be ready for promotion in 8 weeks or terminated. Starting salary is 35K and as a manager you can expect to make low 40's. Must take move or will be terminated, first move is to small location with low to no bonus potential. All location are in high crime areas due to land being most cost efficient. No upward mobility after being operations manager, past higher positions phased out by the company who is completely sales focused. Would not recommend unless just for resume boost for operations experience, no long term sustainability or growth potential.
Pros
Decent earnings potential for sales, not operations
Cons
All upper management come from sales, operations department are thought replaceable at any time
revolving door
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  USAMay 2, 2016
This company promises you the world but will doesn't deliver.
If you liked doing everyone else's work plus moping, cleaning the bathroom, playing secretary, and being told to answer the phone when you are clocked out or not take a full lunch break but you can not have any overtime.
Pros
mon-fri
Cons
company doesn't know their head from a hole in the ground
Operations assistant/manager
Branch Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Albany, NYApril 8, 2016
Typical work days consisted of inspecting trailers going in and out. Managed vendor and mechanic repair work on trailers. made constant decisions on damages, work handed out to vendors, and what trailers i wanted to put on lease or rental to customers. As an assistant my co-workers were great. I worked with 3 other Operations guys and a sales guy. We all got along extremely well and communicated just as effectively. our leadership came from a regional stand point and then corporate. there were multiple levels of leadership and management. Being micro managed was probably the one aspect of the job that seemed to be a negative. hardest part of the job was just making sure you didn't miss damages on trailers. The company saw it as a way to re-coup money on our assets on returns. When I was promoted and moved to Albany, NY, I worked by myself a majority of the time operationally. I had 1 sales manager. I enjoyed working by myself because it allowed me to embrace the responsibility of everything in one location. Everything was on me and I thrived on it similar to what I am dealing with, with my current company competitor Premier Trailer Leasing. I learned and continue to learn about the transportation industry and how demanding and fast paced it can be. At the same time I have learned how laid back it is if you know what you are doing and not overwhelmed by everything that goes on.
Pros
Free lunches from vendors and benefits
Cons
Micro Management
Great work experience. Very fast paced
Assistant Operations Manager (Former Employee) –  Laredo, TXApril 6, 2016
Very hands on. Multitasking is a must. Daily reporting, daily inbounds/outbounds for XTRA Lease equipment. Raport within the business.
Pros
Competitive Wages
Cons
Promotion
Operations Manager
OPERATIONS MANAGER (Former Employee) –  York, PAMarch 3, 2016
XTRA Lease is a good overall company to work for across the board. Pay for some positions may not be competitive, but the benefits are excellent as XTRA is a Berkshire Hathaway owened company
Pros
hours, benefits, Pto
Cons
compensation for some positions.
productive
Sales Branch Manager (Current Employee) –  Rancho Cucamonga, CAAugust 30, 2015
Fun work place with supportive management and team members, decent amount of red tape and politics, however overall a career is about personal growth and development.
Good job.....to a point
Road Watch Specialist (Former Employee) –  St. Louis, MOJune 26, 2014
I worked in Road Watch and absolutely enjoyed all my time there. I became unhappy when I took a job at the branch in St. Louis. Micromanaged and reviewed to death, I spent more time trying to get out than I dod trying to get in.
Pros
Good group of people
Cons
micromanagement specialists
Some what like Family
Road Watch Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Clayton, MOApril 29, 2014
Onyx was a pretty good place to work it was steady pace everyday except the end of the month was crunch time because everyone had to meet their budget
Pros
1st party collectios
Cons
company was purchased by another co
Tight knit group
Tire and Maintenance Analyst (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOSeptember 27, 2013
Typical work day is fast paced with many phone calls & customer interactions. Our work group is tight knit & we get along great. I have learned to look at things through the eyes of the field reps & our customers when looking at issues to see how it impacts them & what can be done to help them. My co-workers are great to be around & are long term employees that provide a wealth of knowledge on how the company works. The hardest part of the job is remaining objective & keeping emotion out of the decision. Issues must be looked at with a focus on the company & how it impacts our customer base and company profit margins
Pros
knowlegable long term employees, tight knit group, positive atmosphere
life was good
Trailer Mechanic (Former Employee) –  Springfield, MAJuly 25, 2013
excellent company to work for..loved it. branch closed.. wish I still worked there.
Pros
fast productive days
Cons
too many hands in the cookie jar
Great company, good people focused on success.
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  Sumner, WAApril 18, 2013
Typically the day starts at 7 AM. The branch manager is primarily a salesman and most of your time is spent with customers and prospects. Lots of phone, email and road time.

I learned that the Pacific Northwest market is not a big long haul truckload market, most capacity is used regionally and inbound over the road volumes are about one third of the outbound.

XTRA Lease has a 'success' culture, management is always ready and wiling to support you in finding ways to get business. Co-workers are professional and focused on the task of increasing business.

The most difficult part of the job is getting competitive customers to give you time and then try the service offering.

Most enjoyable part of the job is working with co-workers and management on setting goals and strategies to achieve and then having success.
Wasnt a good place to learn
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Grand Rapids, MIJanuary 11, 2013
Managers their are always tobusy to help train you,you are on your own alot.
A great company to work for and an industry leader in trailer leasing/rental
Operations Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazelwood, MOOctober 31, 2012
XTRA Lease is a well known company being a part of the Berkshire Hathaway INC with great pay/benefits.
Front Desk Recpetionist in a professional enviornment
Receptionist/Mail room support (Current Employee) –  St. Louis, MOAugust 20, 2012
Great place to work .
Fun atmosphere ,wirth friendly people.
I am responsible for answering phones and greeting customers who visit.
Also I have been cross-trained to work in the mailroom.
My job is from 8:30 AM to 5:00 PM .
The most enjoyable part of my job is the many different people I am able to talk with all over the USA and the different vendors I am able to meet and greet.
Pros
monday through friday, with no weekends required
Cons
moving to clayton with job changes and requirements with my job.
Xtra Joke
Branch Manager (Former Employee) –  New York NYFebruary 2, 2011
Incompetent senior managers.

Micro managed to the point you have to ask for permission to use the bathroom.

You are required to know all policies and procedures. If you have a question, you must ask about
5 people before getting an answer that makes any sense.

You spend most of your day begging someone to make a decision for you and explaining your report numbers.

Branch operations staff and mechanic vendors are treated like garbage.

Nobody plans or gives any direction of where the company is going. Senior management makes things up as they go every other week.

People are hired but mostly fired on a regular basis.

No training

No chance for advancement. All managers are hired outside the company with no industry experience.
Pros
a paycheck
Cons
threats and no job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at XTRA Lease. Our community is ready to answer.