Location: Oakland, CA
Interview: Prefer in-person but may hire over the phone/Skype
Duration: 1 year
This is for a junior-mid level resource that has some professional RoR experience.
Software engineer for a one year development project to enhance the DMPTool (http://dmptool.org/) service supported by the UC Curation Center (UC3). The DMPTool is a widely used service that supports University faculty and researchers in creating data management plans as required by various governmental and private funding agencies. The development project will augment the existing tool with a number of new functions and features. Reporting to the DMPTool project manager, the incumbent will be responsible for refining functional requirements, UI designs, and technical specifications; implementation of those specifications; testing and documenting the resulting codebase; and deployment of the operational system in a production environment. UC3 employs an agile development methodology relying on iterative code prototyping, assessment, and refinement.
The DMPTool is a Ruby on Rails web application with a MySQL backend database and is integrated with LDAP- and Shibbolith-based authentication. It is deployed in a SLES/SUSE Linux VM environment. Candidates will have demonstrated experience and expertise in these and related web technologies, as well as in general software development methodologies and best practices. The UC Curation Center (UC3, http://www.cdlib.org/uc3) at the California
Digital Library (CDL), an administrative unit of the UC Office of the President (UCOP). UC3, one of the world's premier digital curation programs, is a creative partnership between the CDL, the ten UC campuses, and the international curation community, providing innovative services and solutions to ensure the long-term usability of the University's digital content.
- DUTIES -
- Development, review, and revision of project functional requirements, user interface designs, and technical specifications. Planning 10%
- Implementation of project technical specifications resulting in a new version of the DMPTool incorporating new features and functions and meeting all project requirements and deliverables. Development 60%
- Unit, integration, and regression testing of the DMPTool codebase. Testing 20%
- Technical documentation of DMPTool architecture, design, and operational procedures. Documentation 10%
- Demonstrated experience and skills in agile development practices applied to high-performance, high-availability mission-critical web services.
- Demonstrated experience and skills in the design and implementation of sophisticated web applications, user interfaces and underlying database modeling.
- Demonstrated excellence in written and oral communication.
- Ability to work both collegially and independently, set priorities, and meet deadlines.
- Understanding of data management best practices.
Indeed - 16 months ago