Y of Central Maryland Employee Reviews

Management is horrible
Site Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 15, 2017
This company has several perks . However, the management team leaves a lot to be desired. The company motto states one thing but they deliver something totally different to their employees. The overall moral is extremely low.
benefits
Cons
mangement
Unorganized and insensitive to community's needs
Family Development Specialist/home visitor (Current Employee) –  Anne Arundel County, MDFebruary 11, 2017
This is a good job for about 6 months if you've just graduated College and need experience in this field. There is a lot of miscommunication between management and employees. Management will say one thing, and then another never being clear on what they want. Management is also insensitive to the population they serve. Often times they want the numbers rather than positive results and care to the families we serve. Many families that I've worked with hate that The Y took over Headstart for Anne Arundel county. There is no real work life balance, the hours are 8am-4pm but in some cases they want you to work later which was never stated when they first hired employees. There is a lot of work to be done here. I am currently looking for new employment
Benefits
Cons
Low pay, poor communication, management is not professional
Fun Place to Work
Aquatic Fitness Instructor (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDFebruary 8, 2017
As a group fitness instructor for the Y of Central MD I meet an amazing group of folks who are interested in getting fit and being as healthy as possible.
Worst Gym to work for
Aquatics Director (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 25, 2016
Not a stable work environment, too many changes in management. Pay is low compared to other organizations. The benefits are ok but there is not much room for advancement.
Productive and fun workplace
Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Westminster, MDDecember 22, 2016
A typical work day included having parent sign their kids in the morning. Throughout the day myself and another coworker would play different sports with the children. We would eat lunch with them and interact with them while we ate. After that we would take them to go swimming, and while they swam we supervised them in the pool. After the pool, we would take them to a different room and turn on a movie. At this time parents would start picking up
Great place to work and be motivated.
Members Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDDecember 21, 2016
Loved working at the Y. Meeting new people and seeing them transform into a healthier person. Participated in community affairs, was always rewarding to me.
Pros
free membership
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDDecember 17, 2016
The atmosphere at The YMCA is great and welcoming. They will provide you the tools and skills necessary to advance your career. Its fast-paced and informative.
Good company
Personal Trainer (Current Employee) –  MarylandOctober 27, 2016
Good company to work for. They are very progressive with finding innovative new ways to improve the facility. The only downside is that there are a lot of kids in the gym.
The best place to work.
Team Leader- Associate (Current Employee) –  Towson, MDOctober 8, 2016
Providing a professional nurturing environment for children at all times. Also, training for advancement, as permitted.
Pros
Overwhelm with everything
Cons
keeping everything in perspective
fun job needs to pay more for the work
Stay and Play Attendant (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDOctober 1, 2016
short shifts, friendly people, more money for the draining days of hard work....love the kids they are fun to work with just think we should be paid more for our services
Pros
friendly people
Cons
no breaks
Full and busy work day.
TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDAugust 8, 2016
It was a great place to make a positive impact in the lives children and their families. Being their help me learn about the challenges young children face today.
Pros
Meet new people from various walks of life.
Cons
Threats and verbal abuse by parents and relatives
Poor management and employees
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 31, 2016
When I first started I honestly loved working there, the people that you interact with on a daily basis aren't always the nicest but the employees were friendly. I left because management and employees alike became nasty and didn't keep up with the whole idea that the Y encompasses. Even though the members were sometimes hard to deal with, they were also the best part after a while because they got me away from the other workers. The other employees didn't like to work, and if they did decide to work they rushed and messed everything up or just didn't know how to do it. They were also very bossy and liked to act like they were better than everyone else. It was an awful work environment. And they were terrible with how much they paid, and to get any kind of raise is like pulling teeth, and new hires got paid much more than the older employees.
Pros
Free gym membership, members
Cons
Short or no breaks, terrible managers, nasty employees, theft
Fun and Productive Workplace
Intern (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 15, 2016
Earned my English credit over the summer which also helped me to Graduate a year early from high school. Learned alot about having a real job and taught me alot about having a job and knowing your rights as an employee.
Pros
Free Lunches, Two Checks
Cons
Public Transportation
Meh
Family Advocate (Current Employee) –  Baltimore, MDMarch 15, 2016
I really liked the company and my supervisors when I first join, now I am looking for another job. The management needs more training and so does the staff.
Pros
Near my house
Cons
Too many changes
LOVED working here!
Stay and Play Attendant (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, MDMarch 11, 2016
I loved working for the Y and I disliked leaving after over 2 years. The kids and parents are great, they work with your schedule and the management is understanding but they hire too many young people who gossip and don't do there job, and call out too much so you're always picking up there slack. I only left because I moved and had to find work closer to my new house but once you're there, you bond with the kids and parents.
No benefits
Member Services Representative (Former Employee) –  Abingdon, MDJanuary 27, 2016
When I first started working they offered a free Y membership to part time employees however they changed the policy shortly after. They truly have no benefits for part time employees
Great people
Member Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Towson, MDJuly 1, 2015
Great people, Awesome Environment, but it's not a long term career. I loved the perks that came with this job but was not a fan of the shifts I worked.
Work
Member Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Abingdon, MDJune 25, 2015
Awesome place to work great staff and management team.... and excellent programs for the youth and cardio programs . Pay is not all that great but it is a great place to work
Pros
Excellent working staff
Interesting working environment, cooperative management, flexible hours
Gym Attendant (Former Employee) –  Baltimore, MDApril 29, 2015
Learned a lot about health and fitness and what exercises would give the best results to my clients. Excellent working environment.
Fun workplace
Camp Secretary (Former Employee) –  Towson, MarylandDecember 8, 2014
Being the camp secretary was a challenging and rewarding experience. I had to have files on over 300 campers, I had to administer medications to campers on a daily basis. I had to answer questions that parents had, either in person or on the phone. I had to write down all of the boo-boo and behavior reports. I had to take the temperature of campers who were not feeling well. Staff would come to me to talk if they were not comfortable enough to speak with the camp director. It was wonderful being in a leadership role. I love the company and will continue to work for them whenever I get a chance to. The Y is an excellent job for growth and there are opportunities for advancement.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Y of Central Maryland. Our community is ready to answer.