HR Benefits Specialist, Association Services Office, Dayton, Ohio
YMCA of Greater Dayton
$13.50 - $15.50 hourly rate
- Develops Association benefit education and employee communication including packet materials, education sessions, benefit orientations, benefits at a glance, and other informational pieces. This includes but is not limited to coordinating with carriers to ensure up-to-date education materials and forms are used at all times.
- Coordinates, schedules, administers, and educates employees regarding benefit changes and renewals. Travels to YMCA branch locations when appropriate. Conducts all employee benefit education ad open enrollment sessions.
- Oversees the benefit open enrollment process for the entire Association.
- Answer all employee benefit questions, issues, and requests.
- Assists the employee wellness committee with objectives.
- Administers WellVibe communication, wellness benefit credits, and other wellness initiatives directly effecting employee premiums.
- Assists in the development and education of employee benefit surcharges and policies.
- Processes measurement periods to ensure timely benefit offerings and communicates qualifying individuals to supervisors and the HR Director in a timely manner.
- Determine employee eligibility for benefits including but not limited to medical insurance, FMLA, Section 125, disability, retirement, COBRA, etc.
- Administer all FMLA, disability, and medical leave paperwork, send appropriate paperwork to carriers, and respond to employees in a timely manner that is complaint with YMCA policies, carrier procedures, state and federal regulations.
- Works directly with branches, HR Coordinator, and Payroll Specialist to ensure timely benefit terminations, enrollments, and changes.
- Process benefit change forms, new enrollments, terminations, etc. accurately within the Paycor and carrier systems.
- Understand the roles of carrier representatives and works within those parameters to oversee proper processing of employee benefits.
- Coordinate the distribution and recognition of employee service awards to appropriate supervisors, order awards, and maintain appropriate communication materials.
- Processes Y Retirement bi-weekly pay transmittals, enrollments, changes and terminations timely and in an accurate manner.
- Coordinates all paid time off benefits including system input, reporting, and tracking.
- Comply with all legal, carrier, and Association required reporting needs including but not limited to FMLA, Section 125, ERISA, disability, COBRA, employee deductions, budgeting procedures, census reporting, participation reports, etc. Complete all reports accurately within determined timelines.
- Maintain and update all employee FMLA, Unemployment and disability files.
- Assist Accounting Manager with the balancing of all benefits in the general ledger, proper carrier payments, employee FSA and HAS contribution payments, etc.
- Reconciles all benefit invoices and submits for payment to the HR Director and Accounts Payable Specialist.
- Invoices employees for premium payments as needed.
- Works in collaboration with the HR Coordinator and Payroll Specialist to ensure proper processing of employee benefits.
- Files all benefit provider contracts and records to ensure legal compliance.
- Works with Payroll Specialist and branch supervisors to complete appropriate unemployment reporting.
- Consults with HR Director regarding unemployment claim complaints or appeals.
- Distributes paid time off reports and tracking tools to branch supervisors.
- Coordinates disability payments, time off, FMLA, and medical leave with the Finance Department to ensure timely and accurate compensation and time measurement.
- Fosters an inclusive work environment.
- Provides excellent support to all staff, including responding to inquiries/concerns in timely manner, being courteous and giving sincere attention to staff members, knowing individual’s names and using their names when speaking to staff members.
- Maintains confidentiality of employee information and exercises discretion when dealing with sensitive information.
- Actively trains and engages volunteers.
- Actively participates on the “Strong Kids” annual campaign as assigned.
- Attends designated meetings and trainings including external training sessions to maintain current knowledge of legal compliance issues, reporting, regulations, and processing for all employee benefits.
Education and Certifications
- A 2 year degree in Human Resources, Business Administration or related program required – Bachelors degree strongly preferred.
- Professional in Human Resources (PHR) certification preferred.
- Online New Employee Orientation, Child Abuse Prevention, and Bloodborne Pathogens within 30 days of employment. Child Abuse Prevention and Bloodborne Pathogens to be refreshed every 12 months.
- CPR/AED, First Aid and Oxygen within 60 days of hire and kept current.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license, insurable driver’s record according to the YMCA’s insurance carriers, and have reliable transportation to travel for business meetings, training events, YMCA site visits, vendors and suppliers, etc.
- A minimum of two years benefit administration and HR support experience required.
- Computer skills needed, particularly with Microsoft Office and email applications, Paycor and OnBase system experience preferred, along with ability to learn internal YMCA software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee is regularly required to sit, stand and walk for long periods of time, to talk and hear, to lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, to climb or balance, to stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, occasional bending or squatting. The incumbent is required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus. Also required is frequent hearing and talking, in person and on the telephone. More than 90% of time is spent indoors. The condition of the air is normal/average air conditioned/ventilated. The noise level is normal to loud within an active YMCA program environment.