Yahoo! Inc. Employee Reviews

Mergers are tough
Producer (Current Employee) –  New York, NYNovember 4, 2017
It was a long process waiting for Yahoo to be sold.
And the reality of going through the merger has been tumultuous.
It would have been beneficial to have hired a 3rd party to combine the AOL and Yahoo Brands based on profitability.
Good work life balance with low salary
Software Dev Engineer I (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 25, 2017
Everything's good but the company did not increase salary for 2 years. Usually start working at around 10am and can leave at around 5pm. Also, free food is a plus.
Pros
Free food, good benefit
Cons
Low salary
fast paced environment with consistent change to provide the best solutions to our clients
Retail Category Sales Director (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 24, 2017
I had a great experience at Yahoo as I l managed a team of sales folks across the country to provide the rights solutions to our clients in an ever changing digital environment. We acquired many companies during my tenure there and had to pivot quickly to incorporate this within our offerings to our clients!
Pros
flexible, work life balance, great pay and benefits
Cons
consistant change with the culture and product offerings but I looked at this as a challenge
Intern experience
Machine Learning Engineer II Intern (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 18, 2017
The day starts well with a heavy breakfast at Yahoo's Cafeteria, followed by typical 15-minute stand up meetings with the team. After that, you start doing abit of work and its lunch! After lunch, you go back to work and grab a smoothie around 3-4pm and the day pretty much ends from there :D

As an intern, you will get a lot of opportunities to learn about other technologies which your colleagues are working on, even if you do not require them in your projects.

Working hours are fairly flexible too and many yahoos do work from home from time to time, so I guess its a great destination if you have kids!
Pros
Free lunches, smoothies
Best place to work for
Senior Principal Data Architect (Former Employee) –  Richardson, TXOctober 10, 2017
By far the best place I ever worked for! Best culture, still a big name in the tech industry. Projects are global and with Peta byte scale. The coworkers are friendly and helpful.
Pros
Free snacks
Search Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 6, 2017
There are a lot of smart people and a good environment.
I like working here, but I would like more possibilities for career growth.
Also, I am a parent and dividing the time between family and work is challenging and time consuming (commute/dropping kids at school) etc.
You end up in the evening completely exhausted, after spending hours in traffic.
I wish they would offer the possibility to WFH in some occasions. This would allow to save commuting time that could be used to do additional work.
Na
Procurement Analyst, Supply Chain Services (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 5, 2017
Yahoo! is a web services provider, wholly owned by Verizon Communications through Oath Inc.[7][8] and headquartered in Sunnyvale, California. The original
Cool Company
Search Editor II (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 4, 2017
The work culture at Yahoo was amazing. Colleagues worked closely without fear of being blind-sided, thus amazing things were being accomplished. Great work balance and benefits.
Highly recommended company!
Vendor Service Manager (Current Employee) –  Omaha, NEOctober 3, 2017
Great place to work! Free catered breakfast and lunch is wonderful, as well as the people I work with on a daily basis! Would highly recommend this company!
Pros
Free food
Perfect work life balance with learning cool stuffs in Tech
Software Engineering Intern (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAOctober 3, 2017
Best ever experience working at Yahoo as an Intern.
Learned what is it to be working for a Product Company.
Proud of my work as my work impacted millions of users each day.
Most enjoyable part of the Job was working in the Trending Now team, have enjoyed each and everyday meetings, to code jams etc.
Pros
Free Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner
Former internet giant still finding its way
Senior Director, Global Agency Development (Former Employee) –  Chicago, ILOctober 3, 2017
My time at Yahoo coincided with the run-up to the Verizon acquistion. Because of this, my organization's effort were much more focused on a short-term revenue push vs long-term strategic planning.
Productive and fun place to work but you better love purple
Executive Assistant, Special Events Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Burbank and Santa Monica, CASeptember 26, 2017
Put your running shoes on! It was a great place to work - we were a big family. We spent alot of time together, both in the office and during offsites in town and out of town. Management was wonderful, always willing to let you take the ball and run with it. No micromanagers. The culture was very start-up. Not corporate at all. The hardest part of the job was trying to read everyone's minds. I didn't always know what the right thing to do was, and didn't find out until after the fact. But I learned through trial and error. The most enjoyable part of my job was making people happy.
Pros
Lots of free lunches, lots of off-sites.
Cons
The typical assistant duties - expense reports, juggling multiple execs calendars.
Great atmosphere and free food!
Camera Robotics (Current Employee) –  New York, NYSeptember 19, 2017
The environment is great. A fully staffed cafeteria that is free to all employees is a great perk. I work there as a freelancer. No job security. Few Staff employees,
Pros
Free food!
Cons
No job security
Manager, Business Planning and Operations (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 18, 2017
You're working with a lot of smart people who are collaborative and solution minded. There's a good mix of work/life balance, along with great benefits and opportunities for advancement.
Good team, good work environment
Oracle EBS Consultant (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CASeptember 16, 2017
Very friendly IT team that is amazingly well integrated.

I was there foe 1 year contract. Major work was 11i support and R12 upgrade. Both were successful.

Started R12 upgrade with 11s of CEMLIs and resolved all of these, and the the go-live was very smooth !!
Cool place to work, but no advancement opportunities for me.
Full time datacenter Technician (Former Employee) –  Quincy, WASeptember 12, 2017
I really liked working at Yahoo. I left because there was absolutely no chance to advance. Also, Yahoo went through a rash of new CEO's and the company felt "unstable." The benefits were good. The pay was a little on the low side compared to other datacenters in the area.
Pros
I knew what was expected of me there.
Cons
Constant changes of CEO's and instability.
Yahoo is a great place to work.
Sales Strategy Manager, Yahoo Sports (Former Employee) –  Boston, MASeptember 6, 2017
I worked at Yahoo for 12 years. The people are amazing and the benefits are top notch. There are a few issues with departments not working together (sales/engineering) but I hope this gets streamlined with the acquisition by Verizon.
Pros
Free Food
Cons
must constantly self promote accomplishments to get noticed.
Fantastic Company to work at!
anonymous. (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 30, 2017
Company acquired.
My contract position was relocated by the company acquiring Yahoo to another state.
As a contractor I totally understand.
Contributed and learned alot.
Everyone is friendly.
Pros
Free breakfasts & lunches, friendly place
Cons
Permanent folks who had worked there for 8yrs. or more laid off as a result of acquisitio
Fun place to work, with ping pong and bubble hockey!
Metrics/Data Analytics Supply Chain (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYAugust 29, 2017
Great place to work, for committed employees! Put in the time and see the results. Learned a lot about the corporate world, and how things run in silicon valley.
Pros
Free food
Cons
strange intercompany comms
Great People and Great work
Sr. Director (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 26, 2017
The is no typical day at Yahoo. The work is intellectually challenging and you get to great with world class engineers. The marketplace and partnership management functions were very challenging - juggling the demands of Google and Microsoft were the highlight of a long career. at Yahoo.
Pros
Great colleagues who will do great things after Yahoo
Cons
Strong focus on revenue attainment, at times at the expense of long-term customer and product value