Yahoo! Inc. Employee Reviews in United States

Good place to work/unfocused, unfortunately
Editor/Copy editor (Current Employee) –  New York, NYFebruary 18, 2016
Yahoo is a huge platform that has struggled to find identity. It can't compete with Google as a search engine; it doesn't have social network immediacy of Facebook. I'm here because Yahoo had the idea of becoming a content provider. And indeed its digital magazines, in addition to original news, politics, finance and sports coverage, in my opinion, are, or were, excellent. However, the company failed get the word out that there was such rounded, broad coverage, including health, travel, food, tech... There was little to no promotion on the old or new home page, unfortunately. To me what seemed like a lot of potential for growth has turned into cutbacks in the editorial product.
Pros
Great people, good pay, free lunch. Excitement of live coverage of events.
Cons
Lack of benefits and security for contractors.
Great place to learn about digital
Account Manager (Current Employee) –  Los Angeles, CAFebruary 23, 2016
Because Yahoo touches on many parts of the industry (display, video, programmatic, search), there is a lot of value in the learnings you get while working here. They also take good care of employees with good pay, benefits, and work perks (free snacks, lunch). The only thing to be concerned of is the future of its business as it has officially announced that it is officially exploring a sale of its core business.
Pros
Free lunches, snacks, pay
Cons
Future is in flux
Review
Editor (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 26, 2016
Large companies arrive with a wealth of issues as well as benefits. Things are no different in Sunnyvale, where we've had our fair share of challenges. The companesation here is excellent, but right now the company's vision is still being determined.
Great start, but no room for advancement
Account Director (Current Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAAugust 17, 2015
The change to Marissa has lifted little of the culture and precedent set for by previous CEOs. The landscape has changed and they are reacting slowly to the market - they take 2 steps back with every new change to the environment.

Direct management is great - one of the best managers I have ever worked for in the last 6 years. Unfortunately, the higher ups are comfortable in their positions, so there is no room to move up.

It has been great to work in a multinational corporation, but my time is better spent with a company that has a clear future.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits, and great culture
Cons
No room for promotion, technology backtracked by 3+ years
Used to be great, has gone downhill quickly
SR. DIRECTOR, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 23, 2016
When I joined the company, there were great people, a ton of industry leading technology, and a sense of camaraderie as we tried to turn around an industry icon.

Unfortunately, Yahoo never figured out its "one thing". The one constant at the company was no product was ever finished. Yahoo had a "ship and forget" mentality, and across all of the CEOs I worked for that never changed.

Despite all of this, I really enjoyed my experience there. It was a fantastic training ground for learning how to execute in challenging and dysfunctional environments. Those product leaders who could work well with others, fight without ego, and drive towards a common goal were able to deliver despite everything else going on.

Few other places offer the scale, impact and global reach of the products we worked on. However, the past year has shown a significant, and fatal, decline in leadership, culture, and opportunity.
Pros
Still great people in the trenches, scale of problems
Cons
no leadership, QPR process, constantly changes goals to protect the ego and whim of the ceo
Great with deadlines. Multi-tasker. Great under pressure
Interactive Designer (Current Employee) –  Playa Vista, CAMarch 24, 2016
Typical day: Constant flow of requests for various design either pre-sales or post-sales that SHOULD have a one week turn around due date but have to be done in a day. Two at the most. A typical workload would be about 5 projects at the same time. Dealing with sales and tech AND the big client.

management: All the designers are managers. Always begin a project with a kick off call; including the necessary team from other properties and verticals. From beginning til deliverable or launch date.

hardest part: short deadlines or if the client isn't being fast in their responses and excess number of changes.

enjoyable part: getting it done without a hitch
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no health care, unpaid vacation or holidays
No Job Secruity with Constant Layoffs
Program Manager (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 12, 2015
Employees have been laid off after several years, only a few months, or in one case--the entire group was eliminated 2 days before the new hire's start date. Press is calling them "drip layoffs". Poor people managers who have gotten more political and micromanage more as a result of quarterly goals/reviews. If you're lucky, very lucky you might get a manager who will have your back. The current executive team is killing the great employee team culture there by pitting everyone against each other.
Pros
Free food coffee, gym onsite and great benefits
Cons
No job security, poor managers, and quarterly goals
Great place to be at
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2015
.Need more active things to do can be boring and not attentive to work due to sitting behind the desk all day. But decent benefits and management team.
Great Company
Site Ops Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYOctober 12, 2015
Great company, great benefits, culture is very good. Best company in the WNY area to work for. Yahoo has the best people, jobs, and culture.
Pros
Free breakfast, free lunch, laptop, phone, and more benefits
Cons
Great people to work with in a professional environment.
Facility Engineer (Former Employee) –  Quincy, WAFebruary 10, 2016
Yahoo's first data center built from the ground up had its Grand Opening in December of 2007 and I was a part of this wonderful occasion. It was a very family oriented company to work for but with a lot of management turn-over and growth changes it seemed to have lost focus on the family values. It was a great place to work nun-the-less. I loved the people I worked with and most of us (new and old) became very good friends.
Pros
Free food and drink provided.
Cons
Worked at the first company built and owned data center in Quincy, Wa. but its headquarters were located in Sunnyvale Ca.
Yahoo offers a number of great benefits including a paid gym membership, free healthcare, a phone and phone plan, also lunch and snacks everyday
Information Technology Care Agent III (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 28, 2015
Yahoo offers many great benefits to full time employees such as gym memberships, insurance, phones and phone plans and also free food and drinks during our shift. It is a very casual relaxed type of work environment. The down side can be working odd hours, weekends and holidays. We are open 24 hours 7 days a week which can make it difficult to have time for family and outside activities depending on your shift. It is hard to advance unless you consider relocation.
Pros
Benefits such as free food, gym membership and phone plans. Health insurance and stock options are also a pro
Cons
Shift and shift bidding. Another down side is we work weekends
The management sucks.
Small Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 20, 2016
Amazing place to work if you don't mind a lottery style management system. The coworkers and work place was amazing, at least when I worked there, but hey lay offs and cut backs can diminish a place.
I felt challenged on the job and successes were meaningful as you helped to turn businesses successful.
Changing metrics turned it from an interesting place to work into a grindhouse.
Metrics changed months after I was hired.
The highest paid "non-essential" staff was let go.
Pros
Interesting environment.
Cons
Management that is as fickle as the wind.
Review of Yahoo
Team Lead/Escalations Agent (Former Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORMarch 14, 2016
I had the pleasure of getting to know a lot of amazing people in my 10+ years at Yahoo. The relationships formed there will never end and it was fun to work with individuals who had the same mission as me. We took our work seriously but we were also able to have serious fun.

When the work became more demanding, at times, everyone knew their role and worked as professionals--never appearing entitled or threatening. I learned how to be a team player and a valued component and was able to teach those important aspects to others down the road.

I was proud to work at Yahoo.
Pros
Free lunches, food cart breaks, great co-workers
Cons
Limited Resources
Work here if you can.
Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Casselberry, flSeptember 10, 2015
It was fantastic to work for a large company that was employee centric. The work, benefits, and atmosphere were the best.
Pros
Being part of Yahoo, stock plan.
Cons
Indecision on chosen paths at the time.
Great, historic company with a mission I can stand behind and people I love to work with
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 6, 2016
Work/Life balance leans much more on the Work side. Nearly everyone you work with is passionate about what they do and are supportive of each other. The people are what make the environment enjoyable.
contract job
search editor contracting for Yahoo (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 18, 2016
I worked as a contractor at Yahoo, and only for the amopunt of time that Yahoo limits for contractors.

Because of my technical background I also got involved in creating pages for mobile search.

Yahoo interviewed me for full-time employment because of my high productivity/output, it did not go through, however, because of the proximity in time to the lay-off in 2016 for which the people interviewing had no knowledge was going to happen.
Productive And fun work place
TECH YAHOO ORACLE DBA , AT (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 19, 2016
Vey Nice company to work , very good work culture, management are very supportive, they help you in every area.

They are very good for immigrant employee , and has very good team
Pros
free lunch, free phone
Great learning experience on future career path
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Qualcomm Stadium, CAJuly 13, 2016
I get a media pass at San Diego Charger games and report over live radio what is and has happened in the game. I have learned how be a more productive speaker and getting to the exact key points of what is going in the game as I only have 1 minute to describe everything. getting everything summarized in a minute is the hardest part.
Fun, awesome management, flexible
Search Analyst (Former Employee) –  SunnyvaleJuly 16, 2015
Fun colleagues always considerate and with readiness to help you out, awesome management, flexible time shift due the benefit to work from our homes. Incredible and challenging projects.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor salary
Great compensation package, poor workload management and work/life balance.
Enigineer (Former Employee) –  NYNovember 10, 2014
I worked for Yahoo for a year, within that year I've seen my department as a revolving door of new people. The team I worked with went through at least 3 major changes in order to better serve the goal they were trying to accomplish and in my opinion they still do not have a working model. My talents, along with some of the talents of my former co-workers were mismanaged in order to better serve the needs of management, from the time I started I was "guided" into an area of Operations that was not suited to my knowledge and experience.

The work/life balance in the team I worked with was barely manageable. The shift was 13 hours long and while you were given a 90 minute break, it didn't make up for the fact that every other week you worked 65 hours.
Pros
great compensation package
Cons
poor work/life balance, not much room for advancement without taking cuts in pay.