Yahoo! Inc. Employee Reviews

Sr. Hadoop Developer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CANovember 17, 2016
Lot of talented people and lot of fun loving environment.
One of the early pioneer for open source community. Lot of new innovation and passion in the environment
Pretends to be different, but isn't
Customer Care Agent (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYOctober 9, 2016
They try and pretend they are different, but it's just like working in any other call center environment. It's all about how short your calls are, how many you take, and how well you can stick to a script.

The benefits are great, if you have to be stuck doing call center work.
A+ Work Enviornment
Technical Support Engineer (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYSeptember 13, 2016
State of the art facility
co-workers are very helpful
team environment
ability to continue/further your career

negative: job was very redundant (not enough stimulation)
Pros
Free lunch, free health care, laid back work environment, freedom to make improvements to work procedures
Cons
preferential treatment to certain employees
Productive and fun workplace until the last year
Tech Agent III - Fantasy Sports (Former Employee) –  Lockport, NYSeptember 5, 2016
Started off as a dream job but slowly (over the course of 3 years) turned south with layoffs and incompetent middle management who seemed less concerned with core Yahoo goals and beliefs.
Pros
Free lunches, good benefits and perks
Cons
Scheduled breaks/lunches, lots of babysitting
very good
budget/forecst and vendor management (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAAugust 21, 2016
dealing with invoices and budget issues plus handling vendors and contracts, people attitude at Yahoo that I worked with on issues. lots of companies to deal with because Yahoo purchase 28 companies in one year with no process in place.
Pros
free lunch
Cons
management
Facility Operations LaVista Data Center
Engineer (Former Employee) –  La Vista, NEAugust 21, 2016
Don't do it. Money is good. Team worker is terrible unless you like working for a dictator. One of the worst supervisor in industry. C Whitney. Turn over tells it all.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Chuck Whitney
Amazing Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 8, 2016
Full of high energy and amazing team members. Fast paced environment. My managers were great. I still keep in touch with them.
Fun Place to Work. Years of Turmoil
Manager (Current Employee) –  CaliforniaJuly 25, 2016
I've worked at Yahoo for my entire professional career. I've seen the company grow from a fun start-up to a full fledged company.

Yahoo has worked to be a leader in the industry; however, there were many years where Yahoo did not provide a clear strategy externally. This same lack of focus was evident internally as well, which impacted overall morale.

The people at Yahoo are amazing, and the atmosphere is one of collaboration and involvement. Yahoo does a great job in ensuring inclusiveness of all people, and the overall awareness of social issues and the world is encouraging.
Pros
Free food
Cons
Lack of, or continual change in strategy.
Great learning experience on future career path
Reporter (Current Employee) –  Qualcomm Stadium, CAJuly 13, 2016
I get a media pass at San Diego Charger games and report over live radio what is and has happened in the game. I have learned how be a more productive speaker and getting to the exact key points of what is going in the game as I only have 1 minute to describe everything. getting everything summarized in a minute is the hardest part.
Good Place to Work
Account Management Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 11, 2016
Good Place to Work, great culture, waning market share.
Focus on collaboration and team environment.
Lots of perks, such as beer, offsites, games, etc.
A little tense right now due to business conditions and the macro environment.
Great company great people great benefits
Senior Engineer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJuly 5, 2016
Yahoo! has it all, great people great technology and projects to work on. The benefits are also awesome and they have a good work life balance.
The free food is excellent, lots of choices, healthy and tasty.
Pros
free lunches, free coffee bars and great work culture.
Cons
Challenging yet rewarding, and great place to work
HR University Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 30, 2016
Yahoo! is a great company to work for.Great benefits and perks, the culture is awesome, and there's always lots to do.I would recommend this company to everyone!
The management sucks.
Small Business Specialist (Former Employee) –  Beaverton, ORMay 20, 2016
Amazing place to work if you don't mind a lottery style management system. The coworkers and work place was amazing, at least when I worked there, but hey lay offs and cut backs can diminish a place.
I felt challenged on the job and successes were meaningful as you helped to turn businesses successful.
Changing metrics turned it from an interesting place to work into a grindhouse.
Metrics changed months after I was hired.
The highest paid "non-essential" staff was let go.
Pros
Interesting environment.
Cons
Management that is as fickle as the wind.
Customer Service
Yahoo Community Support (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYMay 18, 2016
Help to support Yahoo customers via chat and email support only. We were doing phone support but that has been downsized.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Staffed
contract job
search editor contracting for Yahoo (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 18, 2016
I worked as a contractor at Yahoo, and only for the amopunt of time that Yahoo limits for contractors.

Because of my technical background I also got involved in creating pages for mobile search.

Yahoo interviewed me for full-time employment because of my high productivity/output, it did not go through, however, because of the proximity in time to the lay-off in 2016 for which the people interviewing had no knowledge was going to happen.
Great, historic company with a mission I can stand behind and people I love to work with
Chief of Staff (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAApril 6, 2016
Work/Life balance leans much more on the Work side. Nearly everyone you work with is passionate about what they do and are supportive of each other. The people are what make the environment enjoyable.
Great with deadlines. Multi-tasker. Great under pressure
Interactive Designer (Current Employee) –  Playa Vista, CAMarch 24, 2016
Typical day: Constant flow of requests for various design either pre-sales or post-sales that SHOULD have a one week turn around due date but have to be done in a day. Two at the most. A typical workload would be about 5 projects at the same time. Dealing with sales and tech AND the big client.

management: All the designers are managers. Always begin a project with a kick off call; including the necessary team from other properties and verticals. From beginning til deliverable or launch date.

hardest part: short deadlines or if the client isn't being fast in their responses and excess number of changes.

enjoyable part: getting it done without a hitch
Pros
free lunches
Cons
no health care, unpaid vacation or holidays
Great place to work when not laying off 42% of company.
SENIOR COLLABORATIVE MEDIA ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 23, 2016
Was a fantastic workplace for the first 3 years. The last year has been very depressing and seeing half the company get laid off was very disheartening. All so board members could take home a fatter paycheck.
Used to be great, has gone downhill quickly
SR. DIRECTOR, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 23, 2016
When I joined the company, there were great people, a ton of industry leading technology, and a sense of camaraderie as we tried to turn around an industry icon.

Unfortunately, Yahoo never figured out its "one thing". The one constant at the company was no product was ever finished. Yahoo had a "ship and forget" mentality, and across all of the CEOs I worked for that never changed.

Despite all of this, I really enjoyed my experience there. It was a fantastic training ground for learning how to execute in challenging and dysfunctional environments. Those product leaders who could work well with others, fight without ego, and drive towards a common goal were able to deliver despite everything else going on.

Few other places offer the scale, impact and global reach of the products we worked on. However, the past year has shown a significant, and fatal, decline in leadership, culture, and opportunity.
Pros
Still great people in the trenches, scale of problems
Cons
no leadership, QPR process, constantly changes goals to protect the ego and whim of the ceo
Workplace with lot of opportunities to work on systems of large scale
Director (Engineering) (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 21, 2016
Workplace with lot of opportunities to work on systems of large scale spanning several key areas. I had a chance to work with several intellectuals at this organization

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yahoo! Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

Indeed Prime: Apply to 100 top tech companies with 1 application