Yahoo! Inc. Employee Reviews

Good Place to Work
Account Management Team Lead (Current Employee) –  Hillsboro, ORJuly 11, 2016
Good Place to Work, great culture, waning market share.
Focus on collaboration and team environment.
Lots of perks, such as beer, offsites, games, etc.
A little tense right now due to business conditions and the macro environment.
Not my most favorite place to work at
Senior Technical Writer (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAFebruary 29, 2016
The state of company is unsteady. Too many org changes too often. No job security. My team is understaffed and overloaded.
Facility Operations LaVista Data Center
Engineer (Former Employee) –  La Vista, NEAugust 21, 2016
Don't do it. Money is good. Team worker is terrible unless you like working for a dictator. One of the worst supervisor in industry. C Whitney. Turn over tells it all.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Chuck Whitney
Challenging yet rewarding, and great place to work
HR University Recruiting Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJune 30, 2016
Yahoo! is a great company to work for.Great benefits and perks, the culture is awesome, and there's always lots to do.I would recommend this company to everyone!
Great Company
Site Ops Engineer (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYOctober 12, 2015
Great company, great benefits, culture is very good. Best company in the WNY area to work for. Yahoo has the best people, jobs, and culture.
Pros
Free breakfast, free lunch, laptop, phone, and more benefits
Cons
Great corporation, need to work the management of day to day operations.
Data Center Engineer Infrastructure II (Former Employee) –  Omaha, NEDecember 31, 2015
I was excited to have the chance to work for a high profile company such as Yahoo but I found the management to be poor and chaotic at times.....very disappointing , great IT staff. Impressive facility.
Pros
free meals, stock equities
Cons
Lack of communication
Fun learning environment with great perks
ACCOUNT EXECUTIVE (Current Employee) –  Portland, ORMay 23, 2012
Yahoo is a fantastic place to work for many reasons. The company has a tech culture (read: ping pong tables, coffee bars, open office environment), excellent compensation/benefits packages and a great focus on work/life balance. We struggle with executive leadership and opportunities to advance within the same office/market.

The co-workers are all excellent, as is the learning environment.

It is challenging to work in a company that has lost some of its edge that is slow to market in an otherwise quick to move industry.
Pros
great people, great products, great compensation
Cons
challenging business environment, slow to adapt, leadership issues.
Amazing Company
Executive Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAAugust 8, 2016
Full of high energy and amazing team members. Fast paced environment. My managers were great. I still keep in touch with them.
Great place to be at
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Houston, TXOctober 23, 2015
.Need more active things to do can be boring and not attentive to work due to sitting behind the desk all day. But decent benefits and management team.
Workplace with lot of opportunities to work on systems of large scale
Director (Engineering) (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 21, 2016
Workplace with lot of opportunities to work on systems of large scale spanning several key areas. I had a chance to work with several intellectuals at this organization
If you can handle an ever changing environment and think fast on your feet, you will like Yahoo!
Sr. Manager, Insights (Former Employee) –  Santa Monica, CAJuly 25, 2012
Yahoo! has resources because they are a big company which makes it much easier to do excellent work. You have the support and the tools to get what you need done.

The issue with Yahoo! is management constantly changes therefore all the hard work you have done previous years is lost and there is no room for advancement.

The best part about working at Yahoo! was working with other very smart people who had years of experience in the industry however in recent years they hired too many people with little digital experience which is one of the reasons I think they have not been leading in the industry.
Pros
balanced life, smart people, good benefits
Cons
inconsistent management, not secure place to work, strategy always changed
Customer Service
Yahoo Community Support (Current Employee) –  Lockport, NYMay 18, 2016
Help to support Yahoo customers via chat and email support only. We were doing phone support but that has been downsized.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
Short Staffed
Great place to work when not laying off 42% of company.
SENIOR COLLABORATIVE MEDIA ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 23, 2016
Was a fantastic workplace for the first 3 years. The last year has been very depressing and seeing half the company get laid off was very disheartening. All so board members could take home a fatter paycheck.
Smart, creative people working on projects they believed in.
Senior Copywriter (Former Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAJanuary 7, 2013
I loved my time at Yahoo! as I was surrounded by very creative and bright people who worked hard and were given the freedom and trust to produce quality material.

I've never worked in a culture where the expression "work hard and play hard" was so accurate to the employee population.

I hope Yahoo! is restored to the position it was while I worked there.
It was a good company and a positive influence on other work structures in the industry.
Pros
plenty of employee perks, great work campus and work-spaces. great people.
Cons
relied too heavily on contract work. unstable board resulted in shakey management.
Great benefits
Account Management (Current Employee) –  Burbank, CAMay 26, 2015
The culture is amazing and you won't find a better group to work with. However, there are always changes from upper management and our strategies and vision seems to constantly change.
Pros
free lunches, great benefits
Cons
moving up is difficult
Fun, awesome management, flexible
Search Analyst (Former Employee) –  SunnyvaleJuly 16, 2015
Fun colleagues always considerate and with readiness to help you out, awesome management, flexible time shift due the benefit to work from our homes. Incredible and challenging projects.
Pros
Flexibility
Cons
Poor salary
Lots of smart people
Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Burbank, CAFebruary 29, 2016
7 years at Yahoo, met so many smart people that kept my desire to learn more going. Spent all my time writing software and automating complex processes.
Pros
Free Lunch
Cons
lots of bad press from investors.
Good Culture
Sr. Manager, Analytics & Data Solutions (Current Employee) –  Sunnyvale, CAMarch 12, 2015
Very good culture, benefits and compensation. need to balance work can get hectic at times. Management is normally good , but some decisions can leave you scratching your head.
Pros
good culture...
Yahoo offers a number of great benefits including a paid gym membership, free healthcare, a phone and phone plan, also lunch and snacks everyday
Information Technology Care Agent III (Current Employee) –  Buffalo, NYMay 28, 2015
Yahoo offers many great benefits to full time employees such as gym memberships, insurance, phones and phone plans and also free food and drinks during our shift. It is a very casual relaxed type of work environment. The down side can be working odd hours, weekends and holidays. We are open 24 hours 7 days a week which can make it difficult to have time for family and outside activities depending on your shift. It is hard to advance unless you consider relocation.
Pros
Benefits such as free food, gym membership and phone plans. Health insurance and stock options are also a pro
Cons
Shift and shift bidding. Another down side is we work weekends
ok
Product Manager (Current Employee) –  SunnyvaleJuly 15, 2015
Many great benefits and perks, but still too big, too corporate, too hard to get things done. CEO is great but middle management layer is pretty bad.
Pros
Free phone, free food, good pay
Cons
Beauracray and Hierarchies Galore

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Yahoo! Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.